MI - NEW NETFLIX SERIES - Aundria Bowman, 14, murdered, Holland, 11 March 1989 *located 2020, adoptive father convicted*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Bowman story - Into the Fire: The Lost Daughter, directed by documentarian Ryan White and produced by Charlize Theron, will be featured in a two-part docuseries that will be available on Netflix on September 12.

Here is the link to the trailer:

This series was wonderful. I wasn't familiar at all with the cases, so I went on the journey from start to finish. Love The Keepers, and this felt like a strong successor in the true crime genre with similar themes - long cold unsolved cases, crimes against women and girls, older women seeking justice for others and themselves. Loved seeing Carl in action, not just words on a computer screen. One of the best true crime shows I've watched this year.

Thank you CarlK for all the amazing things you do for people.
By the way Websleuths is shown in this docuseries.
Can't wait to see it.
Tricia
Yes, the reason why I joined the site. An excellent documentary that still leaves a few questions on what actually happened to Aundria. Just very frustrating to see a wife so resolute in supporting the reported abuse of Aundria by her husband and standing by doing nothing, but never charged. His story of the “accident” is utter BS.

Yes, the reason why I joined the site. An excellent documentary that still leaves a few questions on what actually happened to Aundria. Just very frustrating to see a wife so resolute in supporting the reported abuse of Aundria by her husband and standing by doing nothing, but never charged. His story of the “accident” is utter BS.
Makes you wonder if she is somehow complicit in it all. It isn't out of the realm of possibility for her to be saying all of that on those jailhouse calls because she knows that they’re recorded and to distance herself from it by playing the dupe. Either that or she really is the biggest turnip to have ever fallen off the truck, which is a distinct possibility as well.

Welcome to all the new people who have questions about this murder. I've been here a while, but this is the first time I heard about it. I have questions about possible involvement by both adoptive parents in the murder of Alexis.

The documentary seems to leave a lot of people with their jaw on the floor. Dennis Bowman has some similarities to Russell Williams. He broke into women's homes and stole underwear. He got away with it for a long time, and his level of assault/injury/violence increased over time.

Alexis was not Dennis' first murder. That was probably nine years earlier in Virginia, where a young woman was murdered in her home while her husband was on military tour. Dennis was vicious with her. Furniture and bedding was moved, she was strangled, stabbed, raped, murdered. There must have been signs of struggle, blood, and death in the upstairs bedroom when Alexis was murdered. I do believe that she was killed in the house.

In the documentary we hear that both parents were present when Alexis was starved, abused, and humiliated. Dennis inflicted the assaults and his wife was the enabler. She condoned the abuse through silence. When Alexis reported the abuse, Dennis' wife called Alexis a liar.

Friday, March 10, 1989 - Alexis returns home from school. Is this when she allegedly fell down the stairs? Wife was allegedly not home when Alexis was murdered.

On Saturday, March 11, 1989, Alexis was reported by her adoptive father as a runaway who stole $100.00. His wife later increased the amount to $150.00, which triggered a larceny warrant (murderer listed as victim).

Saturday, March 11, evening - Alexis planned to meet friends for bowling.
  • What is the last time anyone outside the home saw/spoke to Alexis?
  • Was she murdered on Friday after school?
  • What day and time did Dennis' wife come home to learn that Alexis had runaway?
  • What time on Saturday did Dennis report Alexis to police?
It takes time to cut off the legs of a 5'5" teenager, wrap the dismembered body pieces in plastic, stuff the pieces into the barrel, hide the barrel, and clean up the blood ... in case police looked around the property after the runaway report (they didn't).

How much time did Dennis Bowman spend in the barn alone during the 48 hours after Alexis disappeared? Was there blood in the house? How could his wife not know that something bad happened? Was it his wife's idea to report Alexis as a thief and runaway?

Thoughts?

Into the Fire: The Lost Daughter is an extraordinary documentary. Well worth a watch.

Brenda Bowman was willfully ignorant of Dennis Bowman's evil nature, but it seems LE could not gather enough evidence to charge her in the murder of Alexis and in other of DB's crimes. It is criminal that she gets to walk, but even if she had been charged it seems she would not comprehend why.

I find it a major failure by LE to not have searched the extent of the property for a then-assumed-runaway "Aundria". LE may have searched if Aundria had been younger, not a teenager, but this is not an excuse. A missing minor is a missing minor and all low-hanging-fruit elements should be incorporated early on in any investigation.

Last edited:
Welcome to all the new people who have questions about this murder. I've been here a while, but this is the first time I heard about it. I have questions about possible involvement by both adoptive parents in the murder of Alexis.

The documentary seems to leave a lot of people with their jaw on the floor. Dennis Bowman has some similarities to Russell Williams. He broke into women's homes and stole underwear. He got away with it for a long time, and his level of assault/injury/violence increased over time.

Alexis was not Dennis' first murder. That was probably nine years earlier in Virginia, where a young woman was murdered in her home while her husband was on military tour. Dennis was vicious with her. Furniture and bedding was moved, she was strangled, stabbed, raped, murdered. There must have been signs of struggle, blood, and death in the upstairs bedroom when Alexis was murdered. I do believe that she was killed in the house.

In the documentary we hear that both parents were present when Alexis was starved, abused, and humiliated. Dennis inflicted the assaults and his wife was the enabler. She condoned the abuse through silence. When Alexis reported the abuse, Dennis' wife called Alexis a liar.

Friday, March 10, 1989 - Alexis returns home from school. Is this when she allegedly fell down the stairs? Wife was allegedly not home when Alexis was murdered.

On Saturday, March 11, 1989, Alexis was reported by her adoptive father as a runaway who stole $100.00. His wife later increased the amount to $150.00, which triggered a larceny warrant (murderer listed as victim).

Saturday, March 11, evening - Alexis planned to meet friends for bowling.
  • What is the last time anyone outside the home saw/spoke to Alexis?
  • Was she murdered on Friday after school?
  • What day and time did Dennis' wife come home to learn that Alexis had runaway?
  • What time on Saturday did Dennis report Alexis to police?
It takes time to cut off the legs of a 5'5" teenager, wrap the dismembered body pieces in plastic, stuff the pieces into the barrel, hide the barrel, and clean up the blood ... in case police looked around the property after the runaway report (they didn't).

How much time did Dennis Bowman spend in the barn alone during the 48 hours after Alexis disappeared? Was there blood in the house? How could his wife not know that something bad happened? Was it his wife's idea to report Alexis as a thief and runaway?

Thoughts?
I will also add from my work experience it takes a whole different level of depravity to dismember a body and add on top of that it being a family member; that puts this guy right up there with the most evil of people.

Into the Fire: The Lost Daughter is an extraordinary documentary. Well worth a watch.

Brenda Bowman was willfully ignorant of Dennis Bowman's evil nature, but it seems LE could not gather enough evidence to charge her in the murder of Alexis and in other of DB's crimes. It is criminal that she gets to walk, but even if she had been charged it seems she would not comprehend why.
I'm of two minds regarding her intellectual level. On the one hand, she comes across as pious, devout, simple, and unable to make a difference. She appears to not comprehend the seriousness of her husband's actions, but, after a display of a few tears for investigators, she tells Dennis that she loves him and all is well.

What I find disturbing is that Dennis' wife and their daughter emotionally pleaded with Dennis to not admit to murdering Alexis. He believed that admitting to the murder meant that he would be imprisoned near his wife - so he could see her in person often. For some reason, even though it made no difference to length of sentence, his wife did not want him to reveal details about Alexis' murder.

Dennis' wife wanted Alexis "close". Dennis said that she could put Alexis in a can on the shelf, but Alexis was already close in the backyard - close. Did his wife want Alexis to stay close in the backyard rather than share her remains, or release her remains, to Alexis' natural mother?

I will also add from my work experience it takes a whole different level of depravity to dismember a body and add on top of that it being a family member; that puts this guy right up there with the most evil of people.
It's alleged that he abducted and sexually assaulted a 6 year old before there were reports of attempted teen attacks. Attacks against adult women were later - if I understand the timeline correctly. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

From break and enter, to stealing underwear, to crawling through windows to rape and murder - gradually increased level of violence. Raping, murdering, and dismembering a family member boggles the senses - but there's little doubt that, after Dennis was released from prison (Alexis a 11 years old), both parents no longer viewed her as a family member.

I'm of two minds regarding her intellectual level. On the one hand, she comes across as pious, devout, simple, and unable to make a difference. She appears to not comprehend the seriousness of her husband's actions, but, after a display of a few tears for investigators, she tells Dennis that she loves him and all is well.

What I find disturbing is that Dennis' wife and their daughter emotionally pleaded with Dennis to not admit to murdering Alexis. He believed that admitting to the murder meant that he would be imprisoned near his wife - so he could see her in person often. For some reason, even though it made no difference to length of sentence, his wife did not want him to reveal details about Alexis' murder.

Dennis' wife wanted Alexis "close". Dennis said that she could put Alexis in a can on the shelf, but Alexis was already close in the backyard - close. Did his wife want Alexis to stay close in the backyard rather than share her remains, or release her remains, to Alexis' natural mother?
There certainly are self-delusion and self-serving elements to BB. She fears being alone. The remaining daughter's deep mindset is unknown. Was she fully unaware of her father's evil?

As per 'keeping Alexis close': BB ended up parting out Alexis' remains, so not sharing wasn't necessarily a significant weight to her. I suspect it was an act of minimal sympathy, and maybe more so an act of 'here, take a piece of your daughter and leave us alone!'.

Watching this documentary brought me here.
Welcome rbenz. We hope you enjoy yourself.
Tricia Griffith
Manager, Websleuths.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
De0911