MI - Pauline Randol, 51, Killed by 9 yo mentally ill adopted son, 5 May 2019. *dismissed*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
UPDATE: Mother of 9-year-old murder suspect sought help for her son

WWMT in Battle Creek is reporting that Pauline Randol contacted the St. Joseph County Community Mental Health Agency.

An internal memo from the agency shows Randol first contacted them on April 22, 2019.

A week later, on Facebook, she complained that no one from the agency had called her back.

The agency's director Kristine Kirsch says she replied to the comment, talked to Randol on the phone, and set a date to see the boy on May 7.

That appointment would turn out to be one day too late.

Kirsch stated to WW MT, "Hindsight is always 20/20, but the day I saw the post on Facebook I felt that everything was handled appropriately."

Reagan Martin, the suspect's sister, said, "She got an appointment, but it was too late. it was just too late."

Kirsch says anyone dealing with a severe mental health problem can always go to a hospital emergency room for immediate attention.

The 9-year-old boy was a handful.

When he wasn’t walking through neighbors’ yards with a flashlight, he was pointing his beloved BB gun at their children, said residents. One time, he fired the weapon at three children but didn’t strike them.

9e3a03d0-d96d-4fec-a725-97092b98c770-randol.jpg

Pauline Randol (Photo: Facebook)

His behavior grew more aggressive the past few weeks, prompting his adoptive mother to schedule an appointment at a mental health clinic, said relatives.

Last Monday, one day before the appointment, authorities say the boy grabbed one of his father’s hunting rifles, pointed it at his mom and pulled the trigger. Pauline Randol, 51, was killed.

The youth was charged last week with murder, according to court records. Authorities haven't released details about the killing.

Randol had told a doctor she was worried where her son’s behavior was headed, said family members.

“She was so scared she was raising the next serial killer," said Harley Martin, 27, one of Randol's biological daughters.
9-year-old accused of murder grew more aggressive before mom's killing, family says

There are two older sisters talking to the press.

Daughter of woman 'shot dead by her nine-year-old adoptive son' says he was only trying to SCARE her | Daily Mail Online

Reagan Martin, 23, believes the boy - who has not been identified because he is underage - was likely attempting to frighten her biological mother, Pauline Randol, when he fatally injured her with a rifle in their living room on Monday morning.

'I don’t think he meant to do it. I think was probably a scare tactic,' she told MLive.

In court Tuesday, the boy asked where his mother was and Harley Martin said 'he doesn't know what he did'.

'He doesn't understand why he can't come home or anything,' she continued. 'He's traumatized by what he saw in there. That's all he told my dad about was seeing that. It's going to mess him up for a really long time because he does not realize what he's done.'

The boy was charged Wednesday with the woman's murder but his sisters, who are Randol's children from a previous relationship, have said he suffers from mental health issues.
This whole family lives in a weird state of denial or oblivion. No one can help anyone if they’re not realistic about the issues that need to be addressed.

9-year-old charged with murder in Illinois fire that killed 5

Found an update on this case in an article about another 9 year old.

Last month, a Michigan judge dismissed a murder charge against a 9-year-old accused of fatally shooting his mother in their home near Sturgis. St. Joseph County Family Division Judge David Tomlinson ruled that, under Michigan law, the boy was presumed incompetent for trial because he’s not yet 10.
Two little 9 year olds - killers?? I just can’t comprehend this

Why can’t the US figure out some gun control? All weapons (if you must have them) should be locked with no access to the keys for the children. Is this not basic common sense? Given the child had serious mental health issues, make alternate arrangements for the guns in your house, given them to a fellow hunter if you need to.

I am so tired of hearing about all this gun violence in the US with children.

I could say a lot more, but I’ll bite my tongue.
Same here. I'm biting my tongue, too. Don't get me started. (I just deleted a line I entered here.)
Why can't all guns, rifles, shotguns, ALL OF THEM be made with trigger locks or something that will not allow them to fire until the user punches in a security code? (A pistol in a drawer with a key right beside it is not good enough, d'oh.) We know that a lot of people do not lock their weapons nor their ammo in a gun safe. Pistols kept in the bedroom for protection would be usable after the secret (and I mean secret) code is punched in. At least that would be a start.
Yes, how naive I am. <sighs> Zipping it up now.

In this country, virtually every path to help is strewn with obstacles and all of our systems are broken, gun control is non-existent, and the things that really matter are instead only topics for dispute and igniting a reaction from "the other side". No one has any intention of fixing any system because it's a means of control on so many levels. Strife and scandal are necessary tools needed to maintain confusion and animosity in the world.

There is an uncomfortably high number of foster/adoptive parents who sign an intent to adopt as soon as a child is placed with them, and push the system to make that happen as quickly as possible. Sometimes the motivator is the adoption subsidy money, sometimes it's a desire to be seen as accepting of any child so the district will continue to place kids with them, sometimes it's the genuine belief that love and a family can make everything better -- the problem is, once that "honeymoon period" is over, that adoptive parent is left with a still-broken child and they have now detached themselves from the system that could better assist in accessing the services the child needs. The goal of achieving permanency for a child through adoption is a noble one, but meaningless if both the child and the family aren't afforded the chance to reach that stage where the illusion slips away and those issues and behaviors come out. One of the Federal govt's measures of success is how quickly permanency is achieved, whether through reunification with a parent, discharge to a relative, or adoption, and there is no advantage to keeping a child in care so those time-bomb issues can be uncovered and treated.

I do feel terrible for the family's loss, and am sad that the child will enter yet another system that will fail him.

This...... ^^^^^^

I can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not. . . but is it time to add a "please keep firearms out of reach of patient" warning on prescription bottles? IMO MOO
Wouldn't hurt...
Any time anyone starts a new med or stops taking a med should be watched or s/he should be watchful of self -- walking up/down stairs, driving, power tools, and certainly firearms. Things can happen. JMO.

Reactions: byo
Welcome to Websleuths,
WilliamHolder !!

Re: the medication change. Just for insight, I had a med change last week. I "lost time" while on this new drug. It was like I was in a dream state and would wake up and not know where I was or what I was doing. I had body tremors, felt sick, couldn't eat and was totally out of it. This lasted for 4 days and it got worse with each day. I finally just stopped. I called my Doctor and told her what was happening and we stopped.

It was the most brutal 4 days I have ever experienced. I'm not trying to defend anyone here but I can attest that some of these psych drugs do some very disturbing things to you. If this child was experiencing something similar I would believe it.

moo

Judge dismisses charges against 9-year-old boy who is accused of killing his mom.
Newschannel 3 Fri, September 27th 2019, 8:37 PM EDT

Have to wonder where this boy is today and will he stay out of trouble or have we released a threat.

link to latest release info:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back