MI - Samantha Woll, a Detroit synagogue president, fatally stabbed *Arrest*

clearskies1

Reaction score
"A politically connected Detroit synagogue president was found stabbed dead this morning outside her home in the city’s Lafayette Park neighborhood, east of downtown.

Samantha Woll, 40, had led the Isaac Agree Downtown Detroit Synagogue since 2022 and previously worked for Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin and on the re-election campaign of Attorney General Dana Nessel, both Democrats.

Police said in an afternoon statement that were investigating a body found stabbed multiple times in the 1300 block of Joliet Place. A trail of blood led to the victim's home, where police said they believe the crime occurred."

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said Woll’s death “has left a huge hole in the Detroit community.”

In a statement, Duggan said he and Woll were celebrating the newly renovated synoguge together just a few weeks ago.

“It was a project she successfully led with great pride and enthusiasm,” Duggan said.

“This entire city joins with her family and friends in mourning her tragic death,” the mayor added.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel also shared her condolences in a statement on Facebook, saying, “Sam was as kind a person as I’ve ever known. She was driven by her sincere love of her community, state and country.”

Woll had previously worked with Congresswoman Elissa Slotkin, according to a post on Slotkin’s social media.

The congresswoman said Woll “dedicated her short life to building understanding across faiths, bringing light in the face of darkness.”

A Detroit synagogue president was found fatally stabbed outside her home Saturday morning.

Samantha Woll, 40, led the congregation of Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue. The synagogue confirmed Woll's death Saturday in a statement writing, “We are shocked and saddened to learn of the unexpected death of Samantha Woll, our Board President.”

“May her memory be a blessing,” the statement continued.

Authorities said a 911 call was made to Woll's home early Saturday, reporting an individual lying on the ground unresponsive. Police discovered multiple stab wounds on Woll's body and found a trail of blood leading to her house, where they believe the crime occurred.

An investigation is underway. At this time, the motive for the crime remains unknown...

17min ago

Detroit police caution against speculation on motive in synagogue president’s murder

Samantha Woll, president of the board at the Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue poses for a photo in Detroit, October 13, 2022. (David Guralnick/Detroit News via AP)
Samantha Woll, president of the board at the Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue poses for a photo in Detroit, October 13, 2022. (David Guralnick/Detroit News via AP)

Police in Detroit caution against speculation over the motive for the murder of a politically active leader of a local synagogue after she was found dead with stab wounds outside her home.

Police request FBI assistance in investigating the murder of Samantha Woll, 40, who presided over the Isaac Agree Downtown Synagogue, which serves metropolitan Detroit.

Police Chief James White urges “that everyone remain patient” while the investigation is underway despite “many unanswered questions.”

“It is important that no conclusions be drawn until all of the available facts are reviewed,” White says in a statement. “An update … will be forthcoming tomorrow.”

[...]

So sure, it’s early in the breaking of the news but The Mirror provides more info: Jewish Synagogue president found stabbed to death outside her home

This is either someone who broke in and waited, someone who forced their way in, or someone she felt comfortable with either way, enough to open the door.

There has to be cameras of the assailant leaving since she was dragged outside.

Her being dragged outside says “Look at what I’ve done”

Shabbat Morning Services begin at 10:30 AM, so this makes me wonder how long she was awake, or if she was attacked in her sleep or shortly after waking up. The neighbor alerted police at 6:30, so this is before sunrise. How long she was laying there before being discovered is a question. I suppose if she had a doorstep light, maybe not long.

A stabbing is up close and personal. My thoughts are that this is unlikely to be random or a result of an attempted robbery.

Either way, it is tragic and disgusting.

So sure, it’s early in the breaking of the news but The Mirror provides more info: Jewish Synagogue president found stabbed to death outside her home

This is either someone who broke in and waited, someone who forced their way in, or someone she felt comfortable with either way, enough to open the door.

There has to be cameras of the assailant leaving since she was dragged outside.

Her being dragged outside says “Look at what I’ve done”

Shabbat Morning Services begin at 10:30 AM, so this makes me wonder how long she was awake, or if she was attacked in her sleep or shortly after waking up. The neighbor alerted police at 6:30, so this is before sunrise. How long she was laying there before being discovered is a question. I suppose if she had a doorstep light, maybe not long.

A stabbing is up close and personal. My thoughts are that this is unlikely to be random or a result of an attempted robbery.

Either way, it is tragic and disgusting.

One description I read on MSM made it seem like she was stabbed in the house.

A trail of blood led to the victim's home, where police said they believe the crime occurred.

As of Saturday afternoon, police were still in the area where Woll was killed — an upscale townhome district designed by the famed architect Mies van der Rohe. The adjoining properties were surrounded by caution tape and a Michigan State Police K-9 was seen sniffing in bushes.

On Saturday afternoon, Woll’s neighbors who spoke with the Guardian said no one had seen or heard anything unusual. They described the area as quiet and it is among the city’s wealthier neighborhoods.

It’s unclear if the murder, which was discovered about 6.30am, is connected to the war in Gaza. Michigan has North America’s largest Arab-American population per capita, and is also home to a sizable Jewish population. Tensions among the groups are rarely reported, though police arrested a Jewish man last week for making online threats against local Muslims.

Woll was the former co-chair of the American Jewish Committee’s Access Detroit Young Leadership Program and founder of the Muslim-Jewish Forum of Detroit, which aims to foster relationships between the two religions.

I'm wondering, since it sounds like the crime took place inside her home, if this is a DV incident and not related to her activism, politics, or religion.

MOO
Such strange times we live in that it will be a relief (not an adequate word) that a murder is personal and not at the hands of a terrorist. Egad, it's awful.

Condolences to her loved ones and community. It sounds like her loss will be felt by many.

jmo

Numerous resources have been mobilized to solve Woll's tragic murder, White said Saturday evening, including involvement of the FBI and Michigan State Police.

White said his investigators are working with the FBI to forensically analyze evidence and create a timeline of events that led to Woll's killing. White said police are interviewing individuals with information that may be valuable to the investigation. Police did not say if any suspects have been identified.

Detroit police say so far no evidence of antisemitism in murder of synagogue president

Samantha Woll, 40, of the Isaac Agree Downtown Detroit Synagogue. (Facebook)
Samantha Woll, 40, of the Isaac Agree Downtown Detroit Synagogue. (Facebook)

Detroit’s police chief says no evidence uncovered by law enforcement thus far has indicated the murder of the president of a Jewish synagogue was motivated by antisemitism

[...]

“Detroit Police Department investigators are working with the FBI to forensically analyze all of the information obtained up to this point in an effort to ascertain the timeline that ultimately led to Ms. Woll’s death,” White says. “Individuals with information that may further this investigation are being interviewed.”

“I again ask the community to remain patient ...,” the police chief says, adding that an additional update will be provided tomorrow.

Such strange times we live in that it will be a relief (not an adequate word) that a murder is personal and not at the hands of a terrorist. Egad, it's awful.

Condolences to her loved ones and community. It sounds like her loss will be felt by many.

jmo
Or a hate crime like the poor little 6 year old Muslim boy in Chicago.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back