CONVICTION OVERTURNED MI - Todd Stermer - Escaped House Fire Then Run Over By Wife, Kalamazoo, 2007 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

sjah

Reaction score
Just came across a case that I had not seen before that sounds pretty interesting. I don't know much about it yet but was wondering if anyone else has been following it and has any insight.

Linda Stermer is a woman whose conviction was recently overturned...and will be retried next year. It is a Michigan murder/arson case. There were two scenarios set forth:

Wife drugs husband, douses him in gasoline, sets fire to him, and when he escapes the house alive, runs him over with her van.

Or

Wife finds husband engulfed in flames in their living room, begs him to leave as she escapes the burning house, loses sight of him outside, and accidentally runs over him with her van as she tries to drive away for help.

This article lays out the pros and cons of each theory. Michigan Murder Arson Case on Appeal: The Linda Stermer Story

She did win an appeal, which is pending. Her two sons are now pushing for the retrial saying she is guilty. Anyone know any more specifics about this case?

Last edited:
I saw 48 Hours and am wondering the same thing. The states case doesn’t hold up, if he wasn’t drugged and they can’t prove she started the fire. Wondering if anyone else has been following the case.

Yes
He was in the fire and came out of the house and she ran him over with her car hence she was charged with murder
The 48 Hours episode convinced me that the state chose not to properly and thoroughly investigate the fire scene. There is no evidence that she started the fire. If innocent until proven guilty is still the law, the state can't meet its burden of proof. IMOO

The 48 Hours episode convinced me that the state chose not to properly and thoroughly investigate the fire scene. There is no evidence that she started the fire. If innocent until proven guilty is still the law, the state can't meet its burden of proof. IMOO
Not long watched that episode myself & it seems the prosecution are determined to get her back in jail even though it looks like she is innocent (probably to save face?).

Done a bit of a search for updates & found websleuths then a retrial date for 13 September 2022 then nothing further. Got to Michigan courts & there was a " motion to extend time to file a reply brief " granted until Dec 14 2022.

https://www.courts.michigan.gov/case-search/?searchQuery=Stermer

This case has me really intrigued.....did she? Didn't she? Not that my opinion matters but I think she is innocent based on watching 48 hours.

SBM

• Todd and Linda Stermer's Michigan home caught fire on January 7, 2007
  • The pair both escaped the blaze, before Linda ran over Todd in her van and he died at the scene
  • Linda was later convicted of murder, with prosecutors claiming she deliberately lit the fire and then intentionally ran over Todd when he emerged from the home
  • She spent nine years in jail before a judge set her free in December 2018, saying she did not receive a fair trial
  • In a new interview with CBS' 48 Hours, Linda maintains her innocence as the state of Michigan attempts to reinstate her conviction

SBM
linda-and-todd-stermer.jpg

stermer7.jpg

48 Hours - Full episode.

48 Hours - Full episode.
Well, darn
I live about 45 miles from Kalamazoo and have never even heard of this case.
I will start digging and will definitely need to watch the 48 hours episode.
And...I will ask my K-zoo friends what they have heard or know about this case.

I was going to write "I agree completely." Then I saw that I posted it. LOL Well, it's good to know that I still agree with myself.

Well, darn
I live about 45 miles from Kalamazoo and have never even heard of this case.
I will start digging and will definitely need to watch the 48 hours episode.
And...I will ask my K-zoo friends what they have heard or know about this case.
I'm interested in what you and your K-zoo friends think about the case. I have only seen the 48 hours episode, and I'd love to know what you and fellow locals think about it. My feeling after the 48 hours episode was whether she did or didn't do it, forensically, no one can say bc the crime scene wasn't preserved.

I'm interested in what you and your K-zoo friends think about the case. I have only seen the 48 hours episode, and I'd love to know what you and fellow locals think about it. My feeling after the 48 hours episode was whether she did or didn't do it, forensically, no one can say bc the crime scene wasn't preserved.
I'm kinda stuck on the fact that she ran over husband with the van- I have not familiarized myself with all the facts but on the face of it, the fact that he did run the van over her husband does not seem to reflect an innocent person.

Watched the Crime Scene Confidential on this case. Not sure the State has proof to convict her, but wow, is she guilty. Why would she ask the boys to sneak out of the house without saying goodbye to their dad? And when Alina mentioned "justice for Todd" and Linda whipped up some fake tears? Come on. She was having multiple affairs and on her way to a divorce. She's not crying for him 16 years later.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back