Michael Carson

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My God - you will invent ANYTHING to deflect the truth!!!!

I do not think the poster is "inventing."

Here is the link for Baldwin's Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus and Motion for New Trial. Very good read, you may want to peruse some of it.

http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/motions/img/jb_habeas.html

As there are numerous pages I have given a link below for the page talking about Carson and his record in Cali, its page 84.

http://callahan.8k.com/images2/motions/jb_habeas/jb_05-30-08_084.jpg

As a reading of that article shows, JM was a classic case! Low IQ; told he had flunked a polygraph that, in fact, he had passed; unable to produce a story that remotely corresponded to the forensic evidence (not even the limited evidence that existed at the time).

Here is a link to Jessie's polygraph. Jessie failed his polygraph,
so I don't know where you are getting your info that he passed it.
http://callahan.8k.com/images2/jm_polygraph.jpg

If you read Warren Holmes' testimony in the Rule 37 abstract, you will see that his opinion differs from that of Durham, the WMPD polygraph examiner. Holmes doesn't see deception on the critical questions. This is a perfect example of why polygraphs are inadmissible in court. One expert might say that deception is indicated while another expert reports just the opposite. In Jessie's case, his susceptibility due to his low IQ caused his false statements when told by the WMPD that their machine could read his brain and that he was lying. So, saying Jessie failed his polygraph is misleading. According to Durham of the WMPD, Jessie failed. According to Holmes, another polygraph examiner, Jessie was not being deceptive.

No, it is not misleading to say Jessie failed his polygraph. Warren Holmes was selected by the defense because he disagreed with Durham's interpretation. If Warren Holmes wouldn't have done it, they'd have found someone else. Some people can be bought if the price is right. The defense has found a number of them.

First you say Durham's interpretation is wrong, and then in the next sentence you provide an excuse as to why Jessie failed his poly. Which one is it? You can't have it both ways. If Jessie didn't fail his poly then he doesn't need the excuse as to why he failed.

Your contradiction cancels the validity of your argument.

The subjective nature cancels the effect and validity of a polygraph as evidence. You said yourself that if Holmes hadn't disagreed, the defense would have found someone else who did. That is the point. Polygraphs are not admissible as evidence because of the subjective nature of their interpretation. It simply is not cut and dried whether or not a suspect has passed.

They are used by the police usually to see what happens to the suspect when the polygraph is administered. The police know that the polygraph is not admissible. They often use the polygraph as a tool to illicit a confession. In Jessie's case, telling him what they did caused Jessie to make a false statement of guilt. His susceptibility (due to low IQ) led to a false confession, which should have been thrown out.

Eventually, the confession will be recognized for what it is - confused and frightened misinformation from a mentally-challenged youth who only wanted to go home with the reward money so he could get his daddy a new truck and said what he thought would accomplish his goals, never meaning to implicate himself. This is the crux of this case. If Jessie's statement is false, then there is no case because there simply is no other evidence.

If Jessie's statement is truthful, why doesn't it agree with the evidence as is now understood? A truthful statement would not be disproved by newer technology. Why do you think Senator Burnett submitted a bill (which he recently withdrew) that would make it legal to convict on a confession only instead of requiring (as it now the case) other evidence?

No, it is not misleading to say Jessie failed his polygraph. Warren Holmes was selected by the defense because he disagreed with Durham's interpretation. If Warren Holmes wouldn't have done it, they'd have found someone else. Some people can be bought if the price is right. The defense has found a number of them.

Exactly.

Not to mention that Holmes did not administer the polygraph himself. It's akin to the new so-called defense "experts" looking at a photo and concluding something entirely different from the M.E. who actually examined the bodies.

It's not going to fly. And it shouldn't.

Experts (who are real experts and are certified forensic pathologists, unlike Peretti) have many times made rulings based on only looking at pictures. The fact that the new experts didn't actually examine the bodies does not in any way weaken their findings. As to reading the polygraph, anyone with the proper training can look at the tracings and render an opinion. As I said before, the subjective nature of the interpretation of a polygraph is precisely why it is not admissible evidence at a trial. By disallowing Holmes' testimony as to his interpretation of the tracings, Burnett was trying to keep the jury from finding out that other interpretations were possible. It's just another example of his State-leaning tactics which culminated in his disallowing the evidentiary hearing when the DNA results were first made known and has cost three innocent young men at least five additional years of false incarceration.

EXAMINATION OF DR. FRANK PERETTI BY MR. BRENT DAVIS

My name is Dr. Frank Joseph Peretti and I am a medical examiner for the State of Arkansas. I graduated from medical school in 1984. I began my training in anatomical pathology, at Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, from 1985 to 1988. During that time, I was a medical examiner on a part-time basis for the state of Rhode Island. After the completion of my training in anatomical pathology at Brown, I went to the office of the Chief Medical Examiner, in Baltimore, Maryland, where I did one year of training in a subspecialty in forensic pathology. That was from 1988 to 1989. After completing my training there, I remained on as staff pathologist at the University of Maryland, the medical school in the office of the Chief Medical Examiner. I left Maryland in August of 1992 when I came to Arkansas. (TR 1813)

I received some specialized training in the field of forensic pathology. Forensic pathology is a subspecialty that deals with pathology. And pathology is the study of disease. We have different types of pathologists. We have the anatomical pathologist; a hospital pathologist who does breast biopsies. A surgeon sends him a specimen. A forensic pathologist is someone who has had training in anatomical pathology but specializes in interpretation of patterns of injuries in determining cause and manner of death. What I do on a day-to-day basis is perform medical legal autopsies
[293]
generate autopsy reports, and testifying in court.

MR. DAVIS: Your Honor, at this time, we would submit Dr. Peretti as an expert in the field of forensic pathology.

MR. PRICE: No objection. (TR 1814)

MR. FORD: No objection.
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/abstract/peretti1.html

Peretti still never passed his board certification. Spitz wrote the book that is still used today as a textbook in forensic pathology. I think that qualifies him as an expert, too. Here is the first part of his testimony at the Rule 37 hearings: (Note that Burnett tried hard to exclude his testimony, but in the end, allowed it.)

(In response to the Court’s inquiry about the relevance of this testimony in a Rule 37 proceeding, Baldwin’s counsel stated that Dr. Spitz was practicing in 1993 and 1994, he is an author and the editor of a standard work on forensic pathology which one counsel in the case, Mr. Stidham, said he obtained material from. Since Baldwin’s trial counsel did not consult with a pathologist, seek advice from one, or consult the pertinent literature, the testimony addressed those omissions.)

"I am a medical doctor specializing in pathology and forensic pathology. I teach at Wayne State University, and at the University of Windsor in Canada. I do private consulting now, having retired as Chief Medical Examiner in Wayne County, which is Detroit and the surroundings. I worked as well in Macomb County as Chief Medical Examiner, and retired in 2004. I have been a physician since 1953. After working in the Department of Legal Medicine in West Berlin, beginning in 1959, I worked at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in the State of Maryland.

I have published 95 scientific articles, most in peer reviewed publications. I have published a textbook in forensic pathology which has worldwide circulation. I am certified by the American Board of Pathology and have been certified since 1965 in pathology. I have testified in all states of the United States, before the Congress of the U.S in the investigation into the death of President Kennedy.

Pathologists are trained through a teaching program in a board accredited institution. Candidates can be certified in anatomic pathology. One can also be board certified in forensic pathology. For a while, I was in charge of the training program for forensic pathologists in the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for the State of Maryland.

A forensic pathologist will have gone to medical school, completed a residency in anatomic pathology, and then another year in forensic pathology. The American Board of Forensic Pathology offers examinations once or twice a year depending on the nature of the certificate sought. Normally, forensic pathologists first undergo training, after medical school, in hospital-type pathology, with an additional year in forensic pathology.

The third edition of my book, Medicolegal Investigation of Death–Guidelines for the Application of Pathology to Crime Investigation had come out in 1993. The first and second editions had come out in 1972 and 1980 respectively. A number of other books in the field had been published by the early 1990s including Bernard Knight’s book, and several others. There are also journals related to forensic pathology, including international journals.

It is customary for pathologists to consult with other colleagues or to review pertinent literature. I have published on issues surrounding drowning, and authored a book chapter about it as well. It would have been customary for a pathologist in one part of the country to consult with another elsewhere. Forensic pathologists do that all the time.

You ask me about a physician who left medical school, spent four years training in anatomic pathology, and another year in forensic pathology. That physician’s training is not complete until he has taken the supervised training and has documented his ability to pass the test. It would be a red flag if you were told that such a person had not passed his board exams. It is a red flag that someone practicing forensic pathology is not board certified.

I know Williams Sturner, and knew him when he was the Chief Medical Examiner in Arkansas. I heard of Dr. Frank Perretti before. I think he wrote me to ask if he could come train with me.

As a pathologist, it is recommended that you do only about 250 autopsies a year. We do more. I have done autopsies on people who drowned - I testified in the drowning death of Mary-Joe Kepechne in the matter of Senator Ted Kennedy. Pathologists seeking help in looking into drowning deaths might look at the literature, and then call a colleague.

In my review of the present case, I reviewed materials that I received from the Dennis Riordan Office. This included photographs of 3 eight year olds. After reviewing the case, I sent a letter out to Mr. Riordan. After I wrote that letter, I obtained and reviewed some tissue slices from the remains, and I then prepared the second letter that you are showing me. The information that I received in this case would have been of benefit to me had I been consulted on the case in 1993 or 1994.

It is common for a pathologist to be asked to review a case, and to consult. It would have been accepted at that time to review a case based on photographs, and it still is. Reviewing a series of photographs beginning with 48 A and proceeding in order, I arrived at an understanding of where the bodies were found. I also recall that each of the boys was given a separate number by the Medical Examiner’s Office. I normally ask for as much information as possible, including the photos. I have reviewed the information pertinent to this case, and I have opinions on what the mechanism of injury was.

Looking at photo 48 E, I see remains that show mutilation of the gential area. The scrotal sac has been torn off. It is not cut off. Looking at photo 48 F, I see areas where the skin has been rubbed off. 48 G shows the same phenomenon, and you can see where there is a tearing off of the scrotum. You see three marks on the posterior, parallel marks. You can see where the skin is discolored, and drying.

Had a lawyer come to me with these photos in the 1990s, I would have asked for distant and close up shots, and then I would have looked at the close ups, like 48 G, and I would have said that this is post mortem animal mutilation. If you look at the missing area of the scrotum, and of the gouge marks, and areas where the upper surface of the skin is missing, and looking at the linear scrapes and other marks on the extremities, large animals, dogs for example, do this kind of thing. The scrotum is loose. I can show you a picture like this from a publication. The scratches that you see are left by an animal like a dog. The scratches all go in the same direction."

I tend to agree with Dr. Spitz over Peretti.

Bumping this thread up since I've seen so much talk of Michael Carson. There are some really good posts in here

It starts right here
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123399"]Michael Carson - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Jonesboro Sun 1996

A witness in the West Memphis triple murder trial says recent reports that he committed perjury when he testified in 1994 that Charles Jason Baldwin confessed to killing three eight-year-old boys while the two were jailed are false.

Michael Carson, a then 16-year-old who testified that Baldwin described in detail how he sexually mutilated one of the three children killed in the May 1993 massacre, told The Sun he stands by his testimony.

"Yes," Carson responded when asked if Baldwin had, in fact, confessed to him about killing the three boys, Michael Moore, Steven Branch and Christopher Byers. "What I testified to is what he [Baldwin] told me. I haven't changed anything. I told them exactly what he said.”
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/sun_article_carson.html

BTW, it is not held against physician's whether or not they are Board Certified. Board Certification is quite an expensive undertaking. It costs for the test and travel to and from testing locations. It also requires extensive study preparation and some oral exams. Not everyone is cool enough under pressure to carry it off even if they have the time and money. While it most certainly is a plus, physicians who have not undertaken this task should not be considered a less able physician.

Jonesboro Sun 1996

A witness in the West Memphis triple murder trial says recent reports that he committed perjury when he testified in 1994 that Charles Jason Baldwin confessed to killing three eight-year-old boys while the two were jailed are false.

Michael Carson, a then 16-year-old who testified that Baldwin described in detail how he sexually mutilated one of the three children killed in the May 1993 massacre, told The Sun he stands by his testimony.

"Yes," Carson responded when asked if Baldwin had, in fact, confessed to him about killing the three boys, Michael Moore, Steven Branch and Christopher Byers. "What I testified to is what he [Baldwin] told me. I haven't changed anything. I told them exactly what he said.”
http://callahan.8k.com/wm3/sun_article_carson.html

Isn't this nullified by the fact that Carson recently recanted and admitted that he actually was lying when he testified? He also said that he'd like to apologize to Jason and, in my opinion, seemed quite remorseful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW, it is not held against physician's whether or not they are Board Certified. Board Certification is quite an expensive undertaking. It costs for the test and travel to and from testing locations. It also requires extensive study preparation and some oral exams. Not everyone is cool enough under pressure to carry it off even if they have the time and money. While it most certainly is a plus, physicians who have not undertaken this task should not be considered a less able physician.

Board certification demonstrates a higher degree of competency within a given specialty. While I agree that there may be very capable physicians who are not board certified, with the board certification, you are given an added level of assurance that that particular physician has a higher competency level than one who is not. That is why most lawyers only use board certified physicians as experts, if possible. They're testimony generally carries more weight in front of jurors.

Isn't this nullified by the fact that Carson recently recanted and admitted that he actually was lying when he testified? He also said that he'd like to apologize to Jason and, in my opinion, seemed quite remorseful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, again, I don't quite follow the purpose or thinking. At best, Carson's word is worthless.

Michael Carson has never been charged with perjury for his testimony because his testimony was actually truthful and he passed a polygraph. I believe that he played a 'role' in a movie and was more than likely paid quite a bit of money for doing so.

It appears that Amy Berg has made a film with only half the facts. She may be innocent and not really know the facts.

Below she claims:

Carson took a polygraph and passed = TRUE

Misskelley had numerous poloygraphs = FALSE (only one that I know of & didn't pass)

Echols did not take a polygraph = FALSE (he did not pass his)

Baldwin did not take a polygraph = TRUE

She even claims that the polygraph results were not presented in court, but we all know that polygraph tests are not admitted into court.

Q: Were the West Memphis Three polygraph tested?

AB: Well, Jesse was given numerous polygraph tests, but I don't think the results were ever presented in trial. The other two were not. The witnesses were the same witnesses that were referenced in the hearing in Arkansas, those people have now been interviewed by the state and taken very seriously. There were a lot of polygraph tests. Michael Carson took a polygraph and passed it. So who knows how it was done?

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompson...e-in-arkansas-case?page=2#blogPostHeaderPanel

I looked at the documents and it did not appear to have much more than drug abuse. He got treatment and was released.

Michael Carson has never been charged with perjury for his testimony because his testimony was actually truthful and he passed a polygraph. I believe that he played a 'role' in a movie and was more than likely paid quite a bit of money for doing so.

The truth is that neither you nor I nor anyone else knows what is truthful when it comes to what Michael Carson has said (presuming you weren't sitting there when the admission was made) because of his recanting. I'm not saying he was truthful when he was recanting either. I'm saying his word is worthless because of it though.

The truth is that neither you nor I nor anyone else knows what is truthful when it comes to what Michael Carson has said (presuming you weren't sitting there when the admission was made) because of his recanting. I'm not saying he was truthful when he was recanting either. I'm saying his word is worthless because of it though.

Carson's recantation is one of a myriad or reasons Ellington jumped at the chance to accept the Alford pleas. He knew that the trials would be severed. He knew that the Carson testimony was the lynchpin of the case against Jason. He knew that the new defense attorneys would be much more adept at cross examination than were the original defense attorneys. And, I agree that, by recanting, Carson has become totally uncredible (if there is such a word). In short, Carson as a witness is now totally useless - for either side.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back