Michigan - Coronavirus COVID-19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ann Arbor students walk out of class in protest over mask mandate (detroitnews.com)

A small group of Ann Arbor high school students walked out of class on Monday to protest the district's COVID-19 mask mandate.

Soren Nielsen, a 17-year-old junior at Skyline High School who organized the walkout, said about 15 students left their first-hour class, removed their masks and walked outside the school, holding posters and handing out fliers asking the district to discontinue its policy.

..."I am done with the masking and I don't want to wear it," Nielsen said...

Ann Arbor students walk out of class in protest over mask mandate (detroitnews.com)

A small group of Ann Arbor high school students walked out of class on Monday to protest the district's COVID-19 mask mandate.

Soren Nielsen, a 17-year-old junior at Skyline High School who organized the walkout, said about 15 students left their first-hour class, removed their masks and walked outside the school, holding posters and handing out fliers asking the district to discontinue its policy.

..."I am done with the masking and I don't want to wear it," Nielsen said...

I am kinda surprised that any district is requiring mask at this time since cases are pretty low in Michigan (as far as I know)

Tlaib tests positive for COVID-19 after skipping Michigan Democrats' convention (detroitnews.com)

Detroit Democratic U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib said Monday that she had tested positive for COVID-19, following a wave of infections reported among politicians and journalists on Capitol Hill last week.

"I've tested positive for COVID-19. After not feeling well over the weekend, I took an at home and PCR test," Tlaib tweeted. "I am home quarantining and recovering. Please stay safe, everyone."...

There seems to be a wave of Covid affecting government officials. I hope we didn't let our guard down too soon...

Tlaib tests positive for COVID-19 after skipping Michigan Democrats' convention (detroitnews.com)

Detroit Democratic U.S. Rep. Rashida Tlaib said Monday that she had tested positive for COVID-19, following a wave of infections reported among politicians and journalists on Capitol Hill last week.

"I've tested positive for COVID-19. After not feeling well over the weekend, I took an at home and PCR test," Tlaib tweeted. "I am home quarantining and recovering. Please stay safe, everyone."...

There seems to be a wave of Covid affecting government officials. I hope we didn't let our guard down too soon...

Here's the thing----the cases go down so people start relaxing restrictions including
Masking----- people also apparently began to feel comfortable gathering together
and guess what happens? a variant begins moving thru our country again
and cases start rising--- it is so tiresome and it has become a pattern.

I haven't been masking up and we have been going out for breakfast, but
Not when it is crowded ----

I had hoped we could get thru summer without rising cases or a surge
I guess not!

University of Michigan: Campus COVID cases declining, still at ‘elevated plateau level’ (clickondetroit.com)

ANN ARBOR – COVID cases decreased on University of Michigan’s campus as students began their final exams, according to school officials.

On Wednesday, the school announced a decrease in cases compared to the previous week, but remarked that cases remain at an “elevated plateau level.”

As with many of the cases reported on campus over the last several months, the majority of individuals who test positive are experiencing mild symptoms...

University of Michigan to drop mask mandate for indoor spaces (clickondetroit.com)

Masks still required in patient care settings

ANN ARBOR – The University of Michigan will soon make face masks optional for indoor spaces on campus, including classrooms and on U-M buses, according to an announcement sent out to the school community on Wednesday.

The move will go into effect on Monday, May 2, before the spring and summer terms begin.

Masks will still be required to be worn in certain settings, including at COVID-19 testing sites and in patient care areas within Michigan Medicine, University Health Service and the Dental School...

New tool helps Michigan residents find COVID treatments, therapeutics (clickondetroit.com)

Michigan residents who are dealing with a COVID-19 infection can now search for potential treatment options near them.

MDHHS launched a new tool for Michigan residents and health care providers to help locate COVID-19 treatments across the state.

Users may search to find sites and locations that have therapeutic options available including monoclonal antibodies, oral antivirals and Evusheld, a preventative treatment for those who are moderately to severely immunocompromised. The site provides phone numbers, operating hours and information about which therapeutics are available...

Ann Arbor — Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, is set to speak Saturday at a ceremony for 2020 University of Michigan graduates who did not get an in-person event due to COVID-19 restrictions.

In addition to headlining the "comeback" ceremony, Fauci also received an honorary doctor of science degree...

The article is for subscribers. I subscribe to Detroit News but not FP. Could you provide a summary of the report? Thanks.
Mutations of the Omicron virus variant are increasingly showing up in Michigan, according to State Health Officials, noting at least a half dozen different subvariants had been detected as of Friday.

(They then go thru each variant stating each variant is slightly different.

Omicron is the prevailing variant and has been since early December in the United States.

The article states that Omicron has now become so many different things--- What was Omicron In January is not what Omicron is now, and some of them are better able to spread than the original Omicron. Those more contagious subvariants could be driving up cases yet again.

The seven day average of new daily coronavirus cases in Michigan has risen 239% in one month's time, state data shows from 799 on April 6 to 2706 on May 4.

BA.2.12 is the one that took over New York and in just like a week or two---said Robert Tibbets,
Associate Dir. of Microbiology at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, which began whole genome sequencing of its own coronavirus test samples in January.

South Africa is being hit hard by Covid again and this is what it means for the US:

As each variant emerges it tends to be more contagious. He added that the hope is that as the virus continues to mutat, the new strains and sublineages that evolve will cause less severe disease
and fewer hospitalizations.

"So rather than only infecting a few people and killing them, it infects many many people and they survive and infect many many more just like a regular cold that we get every year, rhinoviruses, these kinds of things are just super contagious.

Though Covid deaths have been falling for minths, that is a lagging pandemic indicator as deaths
don't typically rise until weeks after people are infected and hospitalized. Hospitalizations of
Michiganders with the virus are climbing, but nowhere near the levels of hospitalization seen In January. The article goes on to state that it is difficult to get a clear picture of how much virus
is spreading right now because more people are testing at home so their results are not being
reported to state health authorities and some aren't testing at all, writing off symptoms
to allergies or colds.

We don't have that kind of real-time data that we did in the past so we are relying on things like
looking at hospital numbers, looking at wastewatr to try to guage where we are at.

A discussion ensued of what will coronavirus look like this summer? Health experts say
the virus will not be endemic yet. Although not as many people are getting PCR tests at
sites that report results to the state health dept, the percentage of positive tests among those
who do test, also has risen.

The percent positivity rate has tripled in one month's time in Michigan jumping from
6% on April 3 to 17.5% on May3, according to state data. "We appear to be in a surge
in Michigan even though our case numbers don't appear to be as high as they appeared
in the past, and even though hospitalizations are not jumping like they did during the Omicron surge, and the Delta surge.

The question is how high will the next surge go in Michigan?

especially given fewer people are wearing masks and many have abandoned other measures
that are known to slow the spread of the virus. Dr. Lauring said "we could be heading toward a De;ta or an Omicron overcrowding level at hospitals but maybe not: we just don't know".

Dr. Lauring stated that we are still kind of in the pandemic even though we don't like it.

(The article is pretty long- I will finish it a bit later)-- This is depressing news- I have not gotten my 2nd booster yet, what about you? I am considering though, especially with this kind of bad news.

Mutations of the Omicron virus variant are increasingly showing up in Michigan, according to State Health Officials, noting at least a half dozen different subvariants had been detected as of Friday.

(They then go thru each variant stating each variant is slightly different.

Omicron is the prevailing variant and has been since early December in the United States.

The article states that Omicron has now become so many different things--- What was Omicron In January is not what Omicron is now, and some of them are better able to spread than the original Omicron. Those more contagious subvariants could be driving up cases yet again.

The seven day average of new daily coronavirus cases in Michigan has risen 239% in one month's time, state data shows from 799 on April 6 to 2706 on May 4.

BA.2.12 is the one that took over New York and in just like a week or two---said Robert Tibbets,
Associate Dir. of Microbiology at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, which began whole genome sequencing of its own coronavirus test samples in January.

South Africa is being hit hard by Covid again and this is what it means for the US:

As each variant emerges it tends to be more contagious. He added that the hope is that as the virus continues to mutat, the new strains and sublineages that evolve will cause less severe disease
and fewer hospitalizations.

"So rather than only infecting a few people and killing them, it infects many many people and they survive and infect many many more just like a regular cold that we get every year, rhinoviruses, these kinds of things are just super contagious.

Though Covid deaths have been falling for minths, that is a lagging pandemic indicator as deaths
don't typically rise until weeks after people are infected and hospitalized. Hospitalizations of
Michiganders with the virus are climbing, but nowhere near the levels of hospitalization seen In January. The article goes on to state that it is difficult to get a clear picture of how much virus
is spreading right now because more people are testing at home so their results are not being
reported to state health authorities and some aren't testing at all, writing off symptoms
to allergies or colds.

We don't have that kind of real-time data that we did in the past so we are relying on things like
looking at hospital numbers, looking at wastewatr to try to guage where we are at.

A discussion ensued of what will coronavirus look like this summer? Health experts say
the virus will not be endemic yet. Although not as many people are getting PCR tests at
sites that report results to the state health dept, the percentage of positive tests among those
who do test, also has risen.

The percent positivity rate has tripled in one month's time in Michigan jumping from
6% on April 3 to 17.5% on May3, according to state data. "We appear to be in a surge
in Michigan even though our case numbers don't appear to be as high as they appeared
in the past, and even though hospitalizations are not jumping like they did during the Omicron surge, and the Delta surge.

The question is how high will the next surge go in Michigan?

especially given fewer people are wearing masks and many have abandoned other measures
that are known to slow the spread of the virus. Dr. Lauring said "we could be heading toward a De;ta or an Omicron overcrowding level at hospitals but maybe not: we just don't know".

Dr. Lauring stated that we are still kind of in the pandemic even though we don't like it.

(The article is pretty long- I will finish it a bit later)-- This is depressing news- I have not gotten my 2nd booster yet, what about you? I am considering though, especially with this kind of bad news.

I'm in Ohio, so read here as well as the main Covid thread. I plan to have the second booster on Friday of this week, since it takes 2 weeks to be effective, I plan to stay away from crowds, etc. for the two weeks following since I got my first booster such a long time ago and am over 65. Sticking with Moderna. My husband will have Pfizer or Moderna. Not sure which, he hasn't decided yet. Also later this week.

Before Dr. Anthony Fauci delivered the commencement address to the University of Michigan class of 2020 and 2021, he sat down with Local 4′s Dr. Frank McGeorge.

Their conversation about the COVID pandemic was very candid. They had a wide-ranging discussion at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.

They talked about what he felt was important to press on new graduations, to being accused of flip-flopping on his recommendations and a controversial comment he recently made...

...As of Thursday, May 12, the CDC has identified the following Metro Detroit counties as having high community COVID transmission: Livingston, Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.

A number of other Michigan counties -- primarily in the northern Lower Peninsula and eastern corner of the Upper Peninsula, save for Calhoun County -- are also experiencing higher COVID spread, according to the CDC. On Monday, May 9, Grand Traverse County was the only Michigan county labeled as having a “high” COVID risk.

The CDC recommends that in communities with high virus spread, people should wear face masks indoors when in public, and while taking public transportation...

Before Dr. Anthony Fauci delivered the commencement address to the University of Michigan class of 2020 and 2021, he sat down with Local 4′s Dr. Frank McGeorge.

Their conversation about the COVID pandemic was very candid. They had a wide-ranging discussion at the University of Michigan School of Public Health.

They talked about what he felt was important to press on new graduations, to being accused of flip-flopping on his recommendations and a controversial comment he recently made...
Thanks for the link: I thoroughly enjoyed that interview and learned a few things about viruses- for example the reason that we don't need to get vaccinated periodically for polio, measles and small pox: those viruses don't mutate----whereas the coronavirus we are dealing with obviously is mutating constantly (unfortunately).

...As of Thursday (May 12), Oakland County’s seven-day average of daily COVID cases is up to 562 per day. The seven-day percent positivity for the county has risen to 19.8%.

Health officials recommend residents wear masks indoors and in public...

...As of Thursday (May 12), Oakland County’s seven-day average of daily COVID cases is up to 562 per day. The seven-day percent positivity for the county has risen to 19.8%.

Health officials recommend residents wear masks indoors and in public...

Here we go again in Michigan- we are one of two states with positivity over 15%- Why are Michigan cases so high? I cannot figure it out- we had the same problem earlier this year. I am puzzled.
I will probably start masking up at the grocery store again--- oh, and they can't blame cold weather since summer has made its appearance in the past week!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska
Back