Microwave Popcorn causes lung disease

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Popcorn maker to drop toxic chemical
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20605135/

OMAHA, Neb. - The largest U.S. microwave popcorn maker, ConAgra Foods Inc., said Wednesday it will change the recipe for its Orville Redenbacher and Act II brands over the next year to remove a flavoring chemical linked to a lung ailment in popcorn plant workers.
The announcement comes a day after a doctor at a leading lung research hospital said in a warning letter to federal regulators that consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn. (more at link)

Popcorn maker to drop toxic chemical
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20605135/

OMAHA, Neb. - The largest U.S. microwave popcorn maker, ConAgra Foods Inc., said Wednesday it will change the recipe for its Orville Redenbacher and Act II brands over the next year to remove a flavoring chemical linked to a lung ailment in popcorn plant workers.
The announcement comes a day after a doctor at a leading lung research hospital said in a warning letter to federal regulators that consumers, not just factory workers, may be in danger from fumes from buttery flavoring in microwave popcorn. (more at link)
--interesting--thanks for that link Taximom

My hubby eats microwave popcorn all the time. He is also just fine.

That man REALLY liked his microwave popcorn!
He inhaled the steam every time?

He should probably be checked for burnt nose hairs too.

LOL. I don't know if you meant to be funny or not but that made me laugh.

I like to lick the butter from the microwave popcorn bags. I love butter popcorn. This is scary to read though. :(

From the article:

Wayne Watson loved microwave popcorn so much he would eat at least two bags each night, breathing in the steam from the just-opened package, until doctors told him it may have made him sick.

Watson said he still craves popcorn but has taken his doctors' advice and snacks now on fruits and vegetables. He said his breathing has improved and he's lost 35 pounds. He no longer uses an inhaler or takes steroids.

The photo and caption made me chuckle, lol:

http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070906/...popcornlung;_ylt=Ao12eRPQ5ZmEtUeLVc_kc0Za24cA

WHOOF!!!! :crazy:

People just need to be more careful what they eat, period. We as consumers should not accept this.

FYI if you want to make healthy microwave popcorn do this:

Take a lunch sized paper bag and soak it with water. make sure it is very wet but can still hold 1/2 cup of popcorn kernels. Put the kernels in and microwave as usual.

You will end up with healthy steam-popped nonfat popcorn. Far better than a bag of fatty poison chemicals.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill
Back