Minnesota Infant Infected with Polio Virus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pook said:
Now they're reporting it's up to 4 kids

http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=3976388&nav=0jsh

Four children in a Minnesota Amish community are infected with the polio virus. None of the children has shown any symptoms of the paralyzing disease.

Boy, this debate can go on forever. Just what is right is hard to know. I had the small pox vaccine several times and it never did "take". Am I immune to smallpox or just the vaccine? So, this virus in an Amish community could mean something or nothing at all. Wish there were hard and fast rules and we could just follow the playbook.

I am REALLY concerned for the infant that has whopping cough, as it can be fatal in young babies and unvacinated young children........

As for smallpox, it has been eradicated worldwide, sono need to worry. You are safe....

Hopefully we will hear about the same with Polio.......someday soon, they are working on it.

Do you know that Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has contributed A LOT of money to eradicate polio. What a good cause that will do the whole world good.....I would love to see the day that Polio is eradicated the same as smallpox.

CyberLaw said:
I am REALLY concerned for the infant that has whopping cough, as it can be fatal in young babies and unvacinated young children........

As for smallpox, it has been eradicated worldwide, sono need to worry. You are safe....

Hopefully we will hear about the same with Polio.......someday soon, they are working on it.

Do you know that Bill and Melinda Gates foundation has contributed A LOT of money to eradicate polio. What a good cause that will do the whole world good.....I would love to see the day that Polio is eradicated the same as smallpox.

I have got to say that with all people with mega bucks the Gate's are out there. They aren't dillydallying with politicos they just spend their money where they see fit. And it is always in a fashion that helps people. I hope against hope that they stay out of the political arena and continue the worldwide good and let us admire them for all the knowledge provided and the huge money that is afforded to them for same. This is the best case for entrepreneurship ever. I want this lullaby to sing me to sleep. I want these people to be the mother ship for the future.

The virus that all four children are carrying is derived from the oral polio vaccine. That vaccine has not been used in the United States since 2000, in part because it causes paralysis in about one of every 13 million doses administered. American children now get an injected vaccine, which also prevents infection.

From the Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/13/AR2005101301733.html

Ok.......smack me if you want......... I disagree with vaccinations. For several reasons. First, many MANY of the diseases including Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus, Polio......... have SIMILAR symptoms. The vaccinations were created 50+ years ago and considered lifesavers..........

Having stated all this, my children are all uptodate with vaccinations AS THE CANADIAN/ALBERTA LAWS require my children be vaccinated BEFORE ENTERING THE SCHOOL SYSTEM. we are forced to do this. Myself, I waited until my children were at least 2 years + of age before starting vaccinations as their immune systems had a chance to develop and learn how to fight on their own. I completely disagree with chickenpox vaccination as I believe GOD or our Creator has created these childhood diseases for a way of having our children strengthen our immune system. If their bodies do NOT learn how to fight of disease, it could cause terrible consequences in their adulthood.

vaccinations are riddled with animal byproducts and infections.......& a DERIVITIVE OF MERCURY............ I MEAN WHEN WE WERE CHILDREN, did they NOT state emphatically if a thermometer broke NEVER EVER TOUCH THE MERCURY??????

"Most vaccines are cultured on animal tissue or use other animal cells-most often from monkeys, pigs, cows, and chickens. One simian (monkey) virus, SV40, was discovered in the polio vaccine used in the late 50's and early 60's. It has recently been found in some human cancers. Cross-species transfer of viruses also transfers animal RNA and DNA which may alter our genetic makeup. At least two vaccines now in general use are cultured on embryonic lung cells or on human diploid cells originally taken from aborted fetal tissue. These vaccines carry the contamination risks present in any human tissue or blood product transfer."

http://store.homefirst.com/dovabeyoued.html
http://www.healing-arts.org/children/vaccines/vaccines-auto-immunity.htm
http://www.wddty.co.uk/factsheet/MMR/index.asp

http://www.healthychild.com/database/vaccinations_what_you_don_t_know_could_hurt_your_children.htm

Think about it, educate yourself.

I am obviously NOT advocating NOT to vaccinate your children as my children ARE vaccinated but I am ONLY advocating education. Read, read and then read some more. Think about it.

Could it be SO MANY OF THESE "FORMER" childhood disease are the VERY SAME ONE DISEASE with variances of symptoms? / severity???

Avoiding vaccines a travesty: Pediatrician
By Veronique Mandal Star Health-Science Reporter
Tuesday, April 06, 2004

A Windsor pediatrician is lashing out at parents who refuse to vaccinate their children against infectious disease, saying it is tantamount to child abuse.

Dr. Joe Galiwango also said health-care providers who advise parents not to vaccinate are acting irresponsibly.

"I'm so sick and tired of talking to people about how serious those (infectious) diseases are," Galiwango said.

"Many parents are listening to people who give them information from flawed studies. It's like a religion and they're just preaching without any evidence-based information."

Galiwango said patients from Asia, the Middle East and Africa don't questions vaccines.

"They have seen and believe," he said. "People in this country badmouth vaccines and choose not to give it to their children because they've not seen what we're talking about. I have a few chiropractors in my practice I kicked out and told them if they didn't immunize their children, find another doctor.

?They can die'

"I don't want to find a child sick with meningitis in the middle of the night because the parents don't believe in vaccines. I have seen unvaccinated children on life support. They can die."

Some chiropractors believe not all vaccinations are safe and may cause ADHD and autism. They discourage patients from having their children vaccinated.

That anti-vaccination position raised concerns among medical doctors.

Many of them lobbied the governing bodies of the chiropractic profession to have members "cease and desist," said Dr. Terry Polevoy, an Ontario physician and vaccination advocate.

The College of Chiropractors of Ontario passed a standard-of-practice decree last month telling members to ensure the public is aware that immunization-vaccination is "outside the scope of practice of chiropractic and chiropractors do not have legislative authority to immunize-vaccinate patients."

They are also to advise patients to consult with health providers who have immunization-vaccination within their scope of practice. Many chiropractors are upset with the CCO because they feel they have a right to express their opinions.

But cases of polio, measles and whooping cough are starting to reappear in unvaccinated populations in Europe and North America, Galiwango said.

Alarmed parents

A Swedish doctor alarmed parents with data claiming to show a link between the vaccine for whooping cough and brain illness.

Justus Strom's claim in 1960 that one in 6,000 children suffered neurological complications reverberated around the world, but the report by the Swedish Royal Medical Board showing the number was actually one in 50,000 received little publicity.

Strom then ignored the Swedish findings, and in 1967 claimed neurological reactions had increased to one in 3,600.

As whooping cough immunization rates fell in Sweden, Italy, Japan and the U.K., disease numbers skyrocketed. Within 15 years, 10,000 Swedish children per year got whooping cough.

"Parents who don't vaccinate their children don't know what it is to see a child's life taken away by polio, something that can be prevented," Galiwango said. "Measles and chickenpox kill and children can get a stroke following chickenpox."

Galiwango said he is pleased the recent federal budget included money for vaccinations.

"If they paid for the meningitis and chickenpox vaccines, those diseases would disappear," Galiwango said.

"They're not covered, so many people won't spend money even when it could save their child's life."

A series of vaccines not covered by OHIP would cost about $800.

Stephanie Cazzola, a mother of five in Leamington, is calling on the government to pay for the non-funded vaccines.

"Knowing that our children are the future of this country, such preventable measures should be paid for by the government to protect all our children," Cazzola said.

Dr. Allen Heimann, Windsor's medical officer of health, said vaccinations are "extremely important" to maintain immunity levels in the population.

"It's especially important for measles and polio because while those diseases have been eradicated from the community, they still exist in the world," Heimann said. "From a public health perspective it's critical because if we get an unvaccinated group in society, those and other infections diseases could easily make a comeback."

Heimann said vaccinations are extremely safe.

"None of the allegations about vaccinations causing ADHD or autism have any basis in science," Heimann said.

"We have also been able to study them ? particularly tetanus, diphtheria, polio and measles ? for almost 50 years. The vast majority of vaccinations are one of the safest interventions we have."

Vanessa Harris heard the negative stories about vaccines, but said she and husband Nathan are not willing to risk the life of two-month-old Ethan. He is receiving the OHIP-paid vaccines and they are paying for meningitis shots.

Didn't start walking

Deborah McKeen's mother didn't have her vaccinated against polio, which she contracted when she was 13 months old.

She didn't start walking until she was three and wore a brace on her right leg until she was nine.

McKeen, 46, is disabled by post-polio syndrome which hit one afternoon in 1995. Debilitating fatigue is causing her to give up her part-time teaching job.

She gets upset when she hears about a parent refusing to vaccinate a child.

"I simply can't believe there are people out there who would do that to their children," McKeen said.

Family physician Dr. Dale Ziter said vaccinations save lives.

"We have absolute living proof of that and we can't afford not to vaccinate our children," Ziter said.

"The government should pay for more, particularly meningitis, because it can cause your child to become blind, mute and paralysed."

Publicly funded vaccines

Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Tetanus, Polio, Diphtheria, Pertussis (whooping cough), Hemophilus influenza

Not publicly funded

Menjugate (meningitis) $80 to $120 per dose

Prevnar (pneumonia and inner ear infection) $95 to $110 per dose

Varivax (chickenpox) $81 per dose

© Copyright 2004 Windsor Star​

The last time I looked , 5000 children died each year from SIDS, far more than died from any disease.
A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that children diagnosed with asthma were five times more likely than not to have received pertussis vaccine.(1) Another study found that babies die at a rate eight times greater than normal within three days after getting a DPT shot.(2) The three primary doses of DPT are given at two months, four months, and six months. About 85 percent of SIDS cases occur at one through six months, with the peak incidence at age two to four months.

Notes included in book from which above excerpt was drawn...

1. Michel Odent, et al., "Pertussis Vaccination and Asthma: Is There a Link?" J. of the American Medical Association, (Aug 24/31, 1994), pp. 592-3.

2. J. M. Fine and L. C. Chen, "Confounding in studies of adverse reactions to vaccines," American Journal of Epidemiology, 136, (1992), pp. 121-35.

3. Dr. Viera Scheibner and Leif Karlsson, "Association Between Non-Specific Stress Syndrome, DPT Injections, and Cot Death," (2nd Immunization Conference, Canberra, Australia, May 27-29, 1991).

4. W. C. Torch, "Diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus (DPT) immunization: A potential cause of the sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)," (Amer. Academy of Neurology, 34th Annual Meeting, Apr 25 - May 1, 1982), Neurology 32(4), pt. 2.

5. Vaccine Injury Compensation. Hearing Before the Committee on Labor and Human Resources; 98th Congress, 2nd Session, (May 3, 1984), pp. 63-67.

Anyone here know offhand if it's really uncommon to get Fifth's disease twice?
My 18 yo is ill and his rash looks like the Fifth's disease rash, but he's already had it once. If it's not that it's probably mono.

Of course, we can just ignore the common sense that SIDS cases have gone WAY down in recent years. WAY, WAY down. Yet, kids are still getting vaccinated???
Ergo, vaccinations are not tied to SIDS.

sissi said:
The last time I looked , 5000 children died each year from SIDS, far more than died from any disease.
A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that children diagnosed with asthma were five times more likely than not to have received pertussis vaccine.(1) Another study found that babies die at a rate eight times greater than normal within three days after getting a DPT shot.(2) The three primary doses of DPT are given at two months, four months, and six months. About 85 percent of SIDS cases occur at one through six months, with the peak incidence at age two to four months.

Notes included in book from which above excerpt was drawn...

1. Michel Odent, et al., "Pertussis Vaccination and Asthma: Is There a Link?" J. of the American Medical Association, (Aug 24/31, 1994), pp. 592-3.

2. J. M. Fine and L. C. Chen, "Confounding in studies of adverse reactions to vaccines," American Journal of Epidemiology, 136, (1992), pp. 121-35.

3. Dr. Viera Scheibner and Leif Karlsson, "Association Between Non-Specific Stress Syndrome, DPT Injections, and Cot Death," (2nd Immunization Conference, Canberra, Australia, May 27-29, 1991).

4. W. C. Torch, "Diphtheria-pertussis-tetanus (DPT) immunization: A potential cause of the sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)," (Amer. Academy of Neurology, 34th Annual Meeting, Apr 25 - May 1, 1982), Neurology 32(4), pt. 2.

5. Vaccine Injury Compensation. Hearing Before the Committee on Labor and Human Resources; 98th Congress, 2nd Session, (May 3, 1984), pp. 63-67.

KrazyKollector said:
Of course, we can just ignore the common sense that SIDS cases have gone WAY down in recent years. WAY, WAY down. Yet, kids are still getting vaccinated???
Ergo, vaccinations are not tied to SIDS.

We can suspect that the vaccines alter respiration and that the "back to bed" stand pediatricians are advising may help them breathe.

JBean said:
Anyone here know offhand if it's really uncommon to get Fifth's disease twice?
My 18 yo is ill and his rash looks like the Fifth's disease rash, but he's already had it once. If it's not that it's probably mono.

I've never heard of getting it twice. Does he have the slapped face look this time?
Chlorophenoxys can cause a similar rash, has anyone used "weed and feed" recently, or has he mowed other's lawns, or been in an orchard?

sissi said:
I've never heard of getting it twice. Does he have the slapped face look this time?
Chlorophenoxys can cause a similar rash, has anyone used "weed and feed" recently, or has he mowed other's lawns, or been in an orchard?
No, but he didn't get the slapped face the first time either. he has a more lacey rash , which is what he had before.
Today it's a little differerent, so I'll just take him in on Monday. I'm betting mono. Thanks sissi.

I remember one of mine had mono, probably all of them did and it was so mild as not to notice, she was sooooo sick, swollen glands, sore throat, exhausted, and weak. I took her to the docs, he guessed a bacterial throat infection and put her on polymox, THEN she broke out in a rash , I took her back in, he said, " the rash on amoxicillin happens often when they have mono". Who knows, they are educated guessers, soooo with this, he sent her to a blood lab where they tested her for epstein barr viral titers, and yep..that's what it was..mono...he was right! Exclamation point because he wasn't always . He was often wrong when "guessing" what caused rashes. Once when she was two, he guessed she had roseola, then three more times , the same guess , until I called him on it and said, "how many times can they get "roseola", he said "once". HA!

sissi said:
I remember one of mine had mono, probably all of them did and it was so mild as not to notice, she was sooooo sick, swollen glands, sore throat, exhausted, and weak. I took her to the docs, he guessed a bacterial throat infection and put her on polymox, THEN she broke out in a rash , I took her back in, he said, " the rash on amoxicillin happens often when they have mono". Who knows, they are educated guessers, soooo with this, he sent her to a blood lab where they tested her for epstein barr viral titers, and yep..that's what it was..mono...he was right! Exclamation point because he wasn't always . He was often wrong when "guessing" what caused rashes. Once when she was two, he guessed she had roseola, then three more times , the same guess , until I called him on it and said, "how many times can they get "roseola", he said "once". HA!
I had mono, but it was diagnosed right away so I didn't take any antibiotics. He has some pretty classic symptoms. I will request the mono spot when we go.

The virus that all four children are carrying is derived from the oral polio vaccine. That vaccine has not been used in the United States since 2000, in part because it causes paralysis in about one of every 13 million doses administered. American children now get an injected vaccine, which also prevents infection.

But these children would not have gotten the polio from anyone is they had proper vaccinations........like 98% of the children of that state.

Polio causes paralysis in 1 out of 200 people.........

O.K. my math is not that good, really it is not, but lets try, shall we.

1 in 13 million, lets just say there are 260 million people who have received the live polio vaccine.

That means if you have 20 people who were paralysized by Polio vaccine that would be amongst 260 million people.

But, they still withdrew the live polio and subsituted it with the "dead" vaccine. Even though out of 260 million people, 20 are affected.

They erred on the side of caution and withdrew it. So let me see they withdrew a vaccine that had a 1 in 13 million chance of causing a person paralysis, but before the vaccination you had a 1 in 200 chance of becoming paralysed by polio.

Vaccines have been in existance for 50 years......half a century........and you still think that the Government and "big pharmacy" is in some sort of conspiracy to "defraud" and "mislead" the public in to "buying" into vaccine's so they can make money.....

It is a public health issue, to protect people especially the most vulnerable of people, young children and babies.

Lets take Hep B for example:

Why does my baby need the hepatitis B vaccine? From babycenter.com

The hepatitis B vaccine protects your child against the hepatitis B virus, which can lead to liver damage and even death. Hepatitis B is generally considered to be an adult disease because it's known to be transmitted through unsafe sex and shared needles. But up to 40 percent of those who get it, including children, don't engage in these "high-risk" behaviors and experts don't know how they got infected. Before the vaccine was introduced in the United States in 1982, there were about 25,000 cases a year in children younger than 5 years of age, and only 6,000 of them got it from their mother at birth.

Hepatitis B is highly infectious. About 1.25 million people in the United States currently have the virus, and 20 to 30 percent of them acquired the disease in childhood. Many of them never feel sick and don't know they have it, but those who become infected as children are more likely to have long-term health problems, such as cirrhosis and liver cancer. There is no cure. Each year in the United States, about 300,000 people, mostly young adults, get infected with hepatitis B virus; more than 11,000 are hospitalized, and 4,000 to 5,000 people die.

What are the possible side effects or risks of an adverse reaction?
About 3 percent of children develop pain and tenderness at the site of the shot, and 1 percent have a low-grade fever. An estimated one in 600,000 children will have a serious allergic reaction involving swelling of the mouth, breathing difficulties, low blood pressure, hives, weakness, an increased heart rate, dizziness and shock. If your child has any of these symptoms (you'll know within a few hours), call 911 or take her to an emergency room.

In spite of persistent rumors, there is as yet no evidence linking the hepatitis B vaccine to hair loss, SIDS, or autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis. Several studies are currently underway to determine any possible association.

That means that if you have 1.2 million chance, 2 children may develop an allergic reaction.

But if a baby does not get immunized, there is no such thing as "no risk" to not get Hep B. Before the vaccine 19,000 children got Hep B from an unknown source. This will give them a life long chronic illness called HPV. This is a chronic illness from childhood on, leads to serious liver damage and HPV can be passed on to other unimmunized people. Or vice versa..........

So for a baby to get a Hep B shot, the parents are protecting him/her from possibly coming into contact with another person, child, baby with Hep B that could infect their child.

They would ruin their child's health for their life if they got HPV, but there is a chance like 2 out of 1.2 million that he/she may have an allergic reaction.

So get the shot, or take a "risk" with your child's current health, and lifelong future health and possible death from liver failure by not getting the shot.

The virus can live outside of the body for 7 days......and cannot be seen......but easily transmitted.

That is why countries mandate Hep B........at least my province.......

You, your family, friends, baby have a better chance at getting Hep B than a remote rare allergic reaction to a vaccine..........

MONO/EBV

By the way: A New vaccine is in the works and being tested to protect against EPV which is also known as Mono. Once a person gets Mono it will live inside the body for life..........and can reappear at any time.........

"The major reason why such a vaccine would be important is that EBV infection carries a lifetime risk of developing EBV-infection-associated cancers such as African Burkitt's lymphoma, nasopharyngeal carcinoma, and some forms of Hodgkin's disease," says Dr Hal Jenson at the Eastern Virginia Medical School in Norfolk, Virginia.

Not only will the vaccine protect against EPV/Mono but also the lifetime risk of the associated cancers and reoccurance of the disease.

That is why this vaccine and others are so important to anyone's health......

I thought of you guys and this thread when I read this on Friday. http://www.nypost.com/seven/10212005/news/regionalnews/53757.htm

"An infant died yesterday...had just arrived...from a doctor, who had immunized him for hepatitis B and polio....It appears the baby had a reaction to an immunization."

What do you say in a case like that, "Ooops"?

I think we've seen enough practices go from routine to reviled in our lifetimes (Thalidomide, anyone?), that people shouldn't be afraid to question the status quo.

I personally am concerned about radiation from mammograms, but that's another thread.

From drgreene.com

Many people are unaware of the problems associated with allergic reactions to vaccine components. According to the 2000 Red Book (Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 2000 AAP), allergic reactions to vaccine ingredients are rare. The most common difficulties are encountered with hypersensitivities to chickens or eggs, mercury, certain antibiotics, or to gelatin.

From cdc.gov

Like any drug, vaccines are capable of causing serious problems, even death. However, a decision not to immunize a child also involves risk. It is a decision to put a child at risk for contracting serious, and potentially deadly, diseases. Getting vaccinated is much safer than getting the disease vaccines prevent.

You could feed your child eggs for the first time, and they have an allergic reaction to the eggs, is there anyway that you could have know this?. No.

You could give your child medication for an ear infection, they again could have an allergic reaction, was there any way again for anyone to know this. No.

You could get your child vacinated against diseases, and they could develop an allergic reaction which is very rare. Is there anyway you could have know this. No.

From vaccineinformation.org
How safe is this vaccine?
Hepatitis B vaccine is very safe. Globally, more than one billion hepatitis B vaccine doses have been administered. In the United States, more than 30 million adults and 40 million infants and children have received this vaccine. The majority of children who receive this vaccine have no side effects. Serious reactions are rare.

What side effects have been reported with this vaccine?
Of those children experiencing a side effect, most will have only a very mild reaction such as soreness at the injection site (3%–9%) or low-grade fever. Adults are slightly more likely to experience such mild symptoms. Serious allergic reactions following hepatitis B vaccination are rare.

No medication, food, car trip, plane ride is 100% safe. Do you "risk" no going on vacation because last week a plane crashed......No, you would weigh the risk of it happening. Now if every 3rd plane crashed, you would tend to take that into consideration.

The child mentioned in the article is a "state ward" and I tend to wonder why. Was there proper pre-natal care, normal birth weight, no history of neglect, abuse or drugs.

Thank goodness reports like this are rare, because the allergic reaction is genetically based and rare..............

But the child could have been allergic to eggs also and no one would have know that until the child ate the eggs..........does that mean that all eggs should be banned because one child had a rare reation to eggs.

No of course not............

Anyone have any thoughts on this? I had chickenpox at age 32, when my daughter brought it home from preschool. She had perhaps 50 pox on her whole body. Then my son (younger) and I caught it. We have at least 50 pox on our faces alone (much more severe cases). Since chickenpox in CHILDHOOD leaves one open to shingles at an older age (which I am now), what do you think my chances are for getting shingles?

PS--I had German measles at age 23. Rubeola at age 11, like normal people.

Opie said:
Since chickenpox in CHILDHOOD leaves one open to shingles at an older age (which I am now), what do you think my chances are for getting shingles?
Your chances of getting shingles would be the same regardless of your age at the time of the chickenpox..The virus remains in your spinal nerves and becomes shingles in adults when triggered. Kathleen

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back