Missing in Greece island Samos Brigitte van Gennip, 22 August 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Dutch woman (65) missing on Greek island of Samos​

updateA Dutch woman has been missing on Samos since Thursday. A search operation has been launched by local emergency services. A Dutch drone team and a rescue dog brigade will travel to the Greek island on Saturday morning.

The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms the disappearance of the 65-year-old woman and says it is providing consular assistance. On X, Brigitte van Gennip's daughter reports that she was last contacted on Thursday morning at 10:30.

According to Greek media, Van Gennip had called a friend to let her know that she was going for a walk near the Tunnel of Eupalinos. The walk would start and end in Pythagorion, where she was staying in a hotel. However, there has been no contact with her since that call and her mobile phone is said to have been switched off. Her phone has since been found, but there is still no trace of the woman herself.
"She has not had any contact with the friend she is on holiday with, and knowing her she would never do anything risky," the daughter writes on X. "So I am very concerned."

A Greek rescue organization reported on Thursday that a search and rescue operation was underway. According to Greek media, the Greek rescue team, the police and the fire department have been mobilized for this purpose. A rescue dog and a drone team have also been deployed. A Dutch drone team and a rescue dog brigade will travel to Samos on Saturday morning to help with the search. The woman's family has asked the organizations to help with the search.
The search team of the National Drone Team and Stichting MTL consists of two drone pilots, two search dog handlers and a coordinator. "The circumstances are worrying, but we continue to hope for a positive outcome," according to the search team. The family and friends of the missing woman have started a crowdfunding to be able to pay for the search. By the end of the afternoon on Friday, 9850 of the desired 15,000 euros had already been raised.

I know the Island - been there many times...

Its one of the Greek Island, well know for one of the greenest, Wine and ancient..
Very beautiful..

"Dutch Times"

According to the Greek City Times the Dutch woman was staying at a hotel in the Pythagoreio. On Thursday morning, she told a friend that she was going to hike around the Eupalinian Aqueduct, a well-known ancient site near the town.

Greek authorities searching for Dutch tourist, 65, missing on Samos

Last edited:
I know the Island - been there many times...

Its one of the Greek Island, well know for one of the greenest, Wine and ancient..
Very beautiful..

"Dutch Times"

According to the Greek City Times the Dutch woman was staying at a hotel in the Pythagoreio. On Thursday morning, she told a friend that she was going to hike around the Eupalinian Aqueduct, a well-known ancient site near the town.

Greek authorities searching for Dutch tourist, 65, missing on Samos
It’s my love affair too. I love Samos. Hate the stray cat situation. Hate most of the locals for accepting their plight. Spend most of my holidays feeding and notifying on issues but I do love the Island. I try and make a difference by being there. I do my bit let’s say. I’ve not seen any news on brigitte being found ?

Last edited:
Snipped...
...The Greek authorities are concerned about Van Gennip's chances of survival. The high-temperature has hovered around 35 degrees Celsius on Samos this week. The low temperature early Friday morning was still 27 degrees.

I think they poop their pants when I fly in. Surprised I’m not on a watch list. But it’s a magical place all the same. I just struggle so much with how they can’t get a handle on the cat issues. It’s an island .. cats don’t swim. Sort it out ! They try but it’s no where near good enough. I digress.

Dutch woman (65) missing on Greek island of Samos​

updateA Dutch woman has been missing on Samos since Thursday. A search operation has been launched by local emergency services. A Dutch drone team and a rescue dog brigade will travel to the Greek island on Saturday morning.

The Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirms the disappearance of the 65-year-old woman and says it is providing consular assistance. On X, Brigitte van Gennip's daughter reports that she was last contacted on Thursday morning at 10:30.

According to Greek media, Van Gennip had called a friend to let her know that she was going for a walk near the Tunnel of Eupalinos. The walk would start and end in Pythagorion, where she was staying in a hotel. However, there has been no contact with her since that call and her mobile phone is said to have been switched off. Her phone has since been found, but there is still no trace of the woman herself.
"She has not had any contact with the friend she is on holiday with, and knowing her she would never do anything risky," the daughter writes on X. "So I am very concerned."

A Greek rescue organization reported on Thursday that a search and rescue operation was underway. According to Greek media, the Greek rescue team, the police and the fire department have been mobilized for this purpose. A rescue dog and a drone team have also been deployed. A Dutch drone team and a rescue dog brigade will travel to Samos on Saturday morning to help with the search. The woman's family has asked the organizations to help with the search.
The search team of the National Drone Team and Stichting MTL consists of two drone pilots, two search dog handlers and a coordinator. "The circumstances are worrying, but we continue to hope for a positive outcome," according to the search team. The family and friends of the missing woman have started a crowdfunding to be able to pay for the search. By the end of the afternoon on Friday, 9850 of the desired 15,000 euros had already been raised.

Snipped FF...
...She has not had any contact with the friend she is on holiday with...

????

Snipped FF...
...She has not had any contact with the friend she is on holiday with...

????
Has that been mentioned before ? Samos is a place people flock to year on year and make friendships. First I saw was a local saying she was missing. They were friends but only by virtue of she goes there a lot and she knows her well. That could be said of anyone who visits Samos. It’s a very clicky place. Everyone knows everyone. IMO having visited loads

Do we know where this is in relation to the other tourist disappearances in Greece?
Tourists disappear a lot in Greece, people just forget to be cautious on vacation.
I think they poop their pants when I fly in. Surprised I’m not on a watch list. But it’s a magical place all the same. I just struggle so much with how they can’t get a handle on the cat issues. It’s an island .. cats don’t swim. Sort it out ! They try but it’s no where near good enough. I digress.
They're not doing anything because it's not just Samos, it's everywhere in Greece, the cats don't bother them.

I’m like family to about 100 or more people there. So when I don’t appear for my lounger
or my dinner reservation they would- thankfully- see that bizarre after a day. I do wonder who she was on holiday with. Was it a good friend from the Netherlands or just someone who knows her movements and is a holiday pal. Samos is awash with Dutch people. Both living there and travelling as they have the luxury of direct flights unlike the uk

Has that been mentioned before ? Samos is a place people flock to year on year and make friendships. First I saw was a local saying she was missing. They were friends but only by virtue of she goes there a lot and she knows her well. That could be said of anyone who visits Samos. It’s a very clicky place. Everyone knows everyone. IMO having visited loads

I just noticed it in the OP. Lousy reporting i suppose then, the way they make it sound - as if she was not traveling alone.

I just noticed it in the OP. Lousy reporting i suppose then, the way they make it sound - as if she was not traveling alone.
Odd .. just say what the situation is. Samos is ferociously hot right now. I go early and it’s red hot then (June) I don’t hold much hope for a happy ending here, sadly.
I think it’s been a random medical episode … which could happen to anyone. But if she wasn’t alone it could have been different.

Last edited:
Safety first at all times on holiday. So many gung ho stories of heading off alone. Michael Mosley was the same ? Why?
Lovely family and pals there. “Oh I’m a bit hot and restless, I’m off for a walk in the midday sun.” “Oh sure great see you later then”.
If anyone in my family said that to me I’d be like … no, no, no and oh no. Get some water and chill out.

Pics from the search here:

Search stopped, too hot for sniffer dogs....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokerhyme
Back