Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good point. But I seem to recall that it was a 24hr convenience store. It was fairly new in 92 if I recall correctly. It wasn't a small mom and pop operation, I know that much.[/QUOTE

At 2:15 a.m. I 'assume' it was 24 Hr. Might as well stay open, it was almost morning.
I can only imagine how boring a typical night could/can be.
It's no wonder the cashier remembered a woman asking about 3 girls.
And I wondered also about the habit of stopping there for cigarettes...

I found where Sherrill and Don Levitt lived prior to their divorce in '89.
2746 West Oakwood Dr.

The Google map shows the distance from Kickapoo HS to their home before moving to Delmar house.

Now to look up that Apco station...how close was that Apco station to Oakwood Dr.?
Perhaps that Apco 'used to be' where they shopped for cigs.

Next up is searching for that Apco station (again)...was it south of Republic Rd? I'm thinking yes.

Found the Apco station at 4140 S. Freemont and it is south of Republic Rd.
Note that Battlefield (township) is SW of the Apco station.

That Apco might have been a 'regular' stop for Suzie (on her way to Janelle's) but that's anyone's guess.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-24 at 11.12.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-24 at 11.12.32 PM.png
    433.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2018-11-24 at 11.45.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-24 at 11.45.11 PM.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Another map!

From Battlefield to the Apco station. Republic Rd. is a main thoroughfare b/t Battlefield and Springfield.

Was Apco in '92...(and the store across the street)... the only convenience stores before heading out to Battlefield which is 99% residential.

Pretty sure the Kirby's live in Brookline, south of Battlefield.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-11-24 at 11.55.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2018-11-24 at 11.55.27 PM.png
    452.1 KB · Views: 9
What if, and I have no idea if this is true, the APCO is the place they bought cigarettes? People often have a regular place they go, so she could have been seeing if her daughter stopped by and bought cigarettes.
Maybe Sherrill wanted to intercept Suzie, whom she thought might be headed home, because at home lay danger.
Do you guys think it's by coincidence that Apco happened to be where all three of the missing stopped by at some point in the night?
If Suzie and Sherrill were informants against Randy Little, then the Apco store could have been where they went to touch base with their handler.

I think it's a solid line of thinking.. Now, presuming Sherill didn't track down Suzie and the girls arrived home before she did (due to her being out at Apco), my question there is how they had time to get ready for bed, and then get into bed before Sherill had even come back. I would think her not being home would have caused some confusion for Suzie, and they would've waited up to see where she'd got to. Sherill didn't make any stop at Janelle's place or the Battlefield parties, so presumably would have come home if the tip was legit and indeed happened that same morning.

Now, had that Apco sighting come at a different hour of the morning, it might allow some time for Sherill to have gotten back to Delmar, and someone to have arrived and something to have gone down before Suzie and Stacy got back. I'm just not sure how much I buy into the theory. Would the gas station have had surveillance cameras back then, anyway?

I think it's a solid line of thinking.. Now, presuming Sherill didn't track down Suzie and the girls arrived home before she did (due to her being out at Apco), my question there is how they had time to get ready for bed, and then get into bed before Sherill had even come back. I would think her not being home would have caused some confusion for Suzie, and they would've waited up to see where she'd got to. Sherill didn't make any stop at Janelle's place or the Battlefield parties, so presumably would have come home if the tip was legit and indeed happened that same morning.

Now, had that Apco sighting come at a different hour of the morning, it might allow some time for Sherill to have gotten back to Delmar, and someone to have arrived and something to have gone down before Suzie and Stacy got back. I'm just not sure how much I buy into the theory. Would the gas station have had surveillance cameras back then, anyway?
I think a typical convenience store in that era would have had a single B&W video camera focused on the register area, with video being recorded over on a 24-hour loop. But for that particular store, who knows.

Another map!

From Battlefield to the Apco station. Republic Rd. is a main thoroughfare b/t Battlefield and Springfield.

Was Apco in '92...(and the store across the street)... the only convenience stores before heading out to Battlefield which is 99% residential.

Pretty sure the Kirby's live in Brookline, south of Battlefield.
Here's where JK lived back in 1992 on S. Butterfield Place off of W. Coach Drive (aka W. Farm Rd. 178) And Brian Joy lived way down the road to the west almost to where W. Coach Drive intersects with S. Farm Road 115. And like I've always said, contrary to the news reports from back then, the Joy residence was not "Just right around the corner", its 1/2 a mile away from the Kirby residence.
Google Maps

Randy Little stuff is a rumor. Need substantial evidence to back that claim up.

Too many rumors in this case.

“Informant against Randy Little” I am going to need evidence of something that points to any of that before I go down a rabbit hole of fiction.

The fact is, the timeline is a possible red herring.

There’s nothing that says when the girls left Battlefield besides a fuzzy memory of Janelle and some others and then Kathy Kirby claiming she could listen through walls to hear Suzie and Stacy.

The girls could have left closer to 3am. I see no reason why Apco sighting isn’t true. Clerks have so few customers throughout the night at that hour. No incentive to lie. And cops cut through that if it’s a bogus tip. They got thousands but they printed this one.

Here's where JK lived back in 1992 on S. Butterfield Place off of W. Coach Drive (aka W. Farm Rd. 178) And Brian Joy lived way down the road to the west almost to where W. Coach Drive intersects with S. Farm Road 115. And like I've always said, contrary to the news reports from back then, the Joy residence was not "Just right around the corner", its 1/2 a mile away from the Kirby residence.
Google Maps
Maybe it's a 'country thing'...I say that b/c when I lived in the country a 'block' was 6 miles by horseback. LoL
Anyway! So Brookline doesn't appear close to Battlefield...where did I get the idea JK lived in Battlefield? And it seems that Apco station was quite a bit out of the way but at that time of night, not much would have been open at 2 a.m. either.

The fact is, the timeline is a possible red herring.

There’s nothing that says when the girls left Battlefield besides a fuzzy memory of Janelle and some others and then Kathy Kirby claiming she could listen through walls to hear Suzie and Stacy.

The girls could have left closer to 3am. I see no reason why Apco sighting isn’t true. Clerks have so few customers throughout the night at that hour. No incentive to lie. And cops cut through that if it’s a bogus tip. They got thousands but they printed this one.
I think the biggest think the two biggest things I take away from what you've posted here is, Number one, The APCO clerk had no incentive to lie what so ever! Number two Kathy Kirby and her account of hearing the girls and what they were saying to each other, and then saying she heard her daughter come in to the house for the night. As well as how defensive she got regarding the APCO clerks sighting, vs her story and Sherrill knowing exactly where the girls were if she was so concerned. Sherrill had no idea where the girls were that night other than briefly at JK's house. And why is Kathy Kirby getting so defensive regarding the APCO clerk, saying, "Im not meaning to call anyone a liar". She should have no vested interest in what the APCO clerk said, unless she's making up a story and trying to defend her "Story". Just my opinion.

Randy Little stuff is a rumor. Need substantial evidence to back that claim up.

Too many rumors in this case.

“Informant against Randy Little” I am going to need evidence of something that points to any of that before I go down a rabbit hole of fiction.
I too would like to know more about this rumor. It came up very early into the investigation. And I will also say, I have an old friend of mine who has lived in Springfield all his life, and about a year ago I asked him what he thought about the 3MW case, and if he'd ever heard anything about it in the circles of people he's traveled in over the years, and the first thing he said was PFI.

So I don't know if he was just part of the rumor mill, or if this angle has legs so to speak. But like you, the case is convoluted enough as it is, and I too do not want to go down another rabbit hole without knowing more about what could have connected Randy Little and PFI to the 3MW.

I think the biggest think the two biggest things I take away from what you've posted here is, Number one, The APCO clerk had no incentive to lie what so ever! Number two Kathy Kirby and her account of hearing the girls and what they were saying to each other, and then saying she heard her daughter come in to the house for the night. As well as how defensive she got regarding the APCO clerks sighting, vs her story and Sherrill knowing exactly where the girls were if she was so concerned. Sherrill had no idea where the girls were that night other than briefly at JK's house. And why is Kathy Kirby getting so defensive regarding the APCO clerk, saying, "Im not meaning to call anyone a liar". She should have no vested interest in what the APCO clerk said, unless she's making up a story and trying to defend her "Story". Just my opinion.

Why she, Kirby, got so defensive concerning the Apco clerk's statement IMO was .... odd. When you say "I don't want to call anyone a liar..." means you definitely meant to call him a liar.

The way I understand it, with the girls original plans, they were going to call Mrs. Kirby when they reached the hotel.
The Kirby's were the conduit for everything... location information, relationship (3 being together) and time line set-up. Goodness...that's a lot of responsibility.

Google Maps

So.....Brookline is SW or NW of Battlefield? And why is it always (in the media) referred to as Battlefield? I assume it's b/c people knew where Battlefield was but not Brookline?
Which now I read where Republic 'adopted' Brookline. If JK were in HS present day, I assume she would attend Republic's HS.

My point is (I've got one! ha) I don't see where it was a skip-hop and a jump to Suzie's house....also there's more than one way to approach Delmar.
If Sherrill stopped by the Apco station let's assume that was the path Suzie and Stacy followed that night because it was familiar to Suzie.
Does that make sense?

Last edited:
Also, since Brookline was not well-known (referred to as Battlefield in '92) it was sparsely populated .....in the 1990 there were a grand total of....283 people and still referred to as a 'village' of Greene County.

Brookline, Missouri - Wikipedia

I assume it's a 'village' in a mostly rural area with undeveloped land surrounding it.
Next time I'm down that way (I don't go down often so don't get excited y'all) I'll hunt it up.

If you haven't already submitted the encouragement to SPD to invite the show "Cold Justice" to come and help solve this case.....here's the link! To get more info. refer back to page 1 of this thread. Thank you so much! Mrs. McCall deserves to know where her baby is and what happened to her baby. :(

P3 Tips

If you haven't already submitted the encouragement to SPD to invite the show "Cold Justice" to come and help solve this case.....here's the link! To get more info. refer back to page 1 of this thread. Thank you so much! Mrs. McCall deserves to know where her baby is and what happened to her baby. :(

P3 Tips
I did this.

Does Cold Justice investigate cases that could potentially be RICO? What's policy if they come across questionable acts of law enforcement involvement? I say that because there are documents that the Clays have that do not match up with police-released statements in both print and on Ozarks Public Television and KY3. Along with timelines changing over the years. I am not sure LE is involved but there are definite questions I have for them. And I would assume Cold Justice would sniff that immediately too.

Another red herring and nothing to contribute to the case, nothing else was noted about that supposed singular appearance of Sherrill's stepping briefly in to "look around" and the clerk didn't get the three women. I doubt seriously it happened THAT night. If it did it doesn't lead anywhere anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState