Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the consensus that this was a completely random event, crime of opportunity. I was a freshman at SMSU in 92' here in Springfield, I had forgotten about this till the recent local news coverage which was mostly local/regional this past week. I haven't even heard anyone talk about it locally in 15 or more years.

Consider the state of the town at that hour when the girls were driving home. Bars close at 1:30, even now, you can get anywhere in town in thirty minutes. Even though it was graduation night there isn't going to be hardly anyone out driving at 2:00-2:30 am for a legitimate reason. Most of the bar crowd would have made it home by 2:00 and two bright red cars headed through town at that late hour might have attracted some unknown to commit an impulse crime.

It just seems implausible to me that it was a planned event, because they were not supposed to be at the house. How many people even knew they were headed there, a handful at best, maybe less. Did anyone check to see if the odd celery green color was a factory produced color for that year(s) and make?

This is most probably the truth, but it leaves open a number of theories that should be tested. The one most important thing is how entry was gained. I may sound like a broken record but I don't see any other way into the house.
Why is "How entry was made into the house" such an important issue Richard?
It could have happened any number of ways.......what bearing does it have on the case?

Recent News-Leader investigative piece chronicles a part of the Springfield drug scene in the years leading up to, and after, the disappearances:

The Man Who Reinvented Meth
Bob Paillet's "Nazi Method" swept across the country.
Until now, we hardly knew anything about him.

Wow, I didn't know the Newsleader still did investigative journalism pieces like this anymore. So often it is full of AP reprints.

Why is "How entry was made into the house" such an important issue Richard?
It could have happened any number of ways.......what bearing does it have on the case?

It is my personal opinion. I've been known to be wrong.

But why return the purses at all? Why stage the scene? For that matter, why risk transporting THREE people in the first place if it was just a straight "hit?" Seems you'd only abduct them if you wanted them alive for awhile...but why, for questioning of something they knew (or were thought to have known)?

But why return the purses at all? Why stage the scene? For that matter, why risk transporting THREE people in the first place if it was just a straight "hit?" Seems you'd only abduct them if you wanted them alive for awhile...but why, for questioning of something they knew (or were thought to have known)?

If someone is murdered on site much forensic evidence is immediately available. This case is, so far as I know, still a missing persons case. The remains have never been found.

I agree. I can't see going back to the house a second time, risking being seen. I don't like the stacked purses, it tells me the women were forced into that bedroom. Were their IDs taken? And they weren't put there by the myriad of people through the house that day because they were found stacked on the step by the friend and her boyfriend when they went into the house. The broken glass but no broken bulb is so puzzling ... why weren't both broken? So sketchy. Who had a motive? Are drugs involved? Money not taken, though. I hate this case already.

It seems most likely they were home and in bed when whatever happened went down. So even stranger to corral the purses if you're just hustling the women out. What was in the purses that he wanted?! And why all three? If it was to remove a receipt or some other sign of where they had been that night, wouldn't he have just searched the girls' purses since Sherrill wasn't with them at the parties and the trip home? The alternative is the girls came home and then all three women then went out again and were taken as they returned. In that case they most likely would have had their purses.

Teenagers aren't known for being neat but from the picture of Suzie's bedroom I don't see how anyone slept in her bed with so much stuff piled on it. Her room looks ransacked.

And how much of that is family/LE versus ransacking. And if ransacked, why?

If someone is murdered on site much forensic evidence is immediately available. This case is, so far as I know, still a missing persons case. The remains have never been found.

It would indicate that their whereabouts may implicate someone as well . If not why not let the families know anonymously , why 25 year of torture? That big of vendetta? Or just that evil ? Hard to imagine that type person/ Persons has gone this long with out committing other major crimes .

Recent News-Leader investigative piece chronicles a part of the Springfield drug scene in the years leading up to, and after, the disappearances:

A good read . He's responsible for ruining Millions of lives . Sickening to think he researched at SMS library .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. I can't see going back to the house a second time, risking being seen. I don't like the stacked purses, it tells me the women were forced into that bedroom. Were their IDs taken? And they weren't put there by the myriad of people through the house that day because they were found stacked on the step by the friend and her boyfriend when they went into the house. The broken glass but no broken bulb is so puzzling ... why weren't both broken? So sketchy. Who had a motive? Are drugs involved? Money not taken, though. I hate this case already.

There was a poster in thread #5 that seemed to have a plausible explanation for Sherrill's purse being with the other two.

What if Suzie regularly kept her purse in that spot, entering the bedroom, so Stacy also set hers there as well. The other poster suggested that Sherrill went in to talk to them and needed a cigarette so she grabbed her purse and set it down by the others. I think that is close, a heavy smoker always has their cigarettes by them, but what if she was out and needed to get a new pack. Are there any pictures of Sherrill's cigarette pack?

Just moving in at the two month mark, people are still adjusting to a regular routine of where they put things. ID's taken would have been disclosed by the LE, why would they be taken anyway. You ask local people that were here during that time period, they say drugs was the reason. It defies logic to me that a beautician was that involved to warrant this, when she had been there alone a good part of the evening.

I'm just coming at this from a different lens, was here when it happened as a student. Read enough of the threads to get the timeline and general theories in place. Know the town and some of what the general consensuses is from people who where here at that time.

Yea have my own questions about details,too. I really think the vehicle is key, might not have been local to Springfield, still had to be known by from a outlying area.

Ok so lots of green colors avaliable on 1960 dodge vans . Take your pick .
dd1a7658e9a319a54fd5eb5062716d95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the general consensus in the area that it was drugs, and Sherill was the target?

This is a very interesting article. It would appear that Springfield was a hotbed of meth production and this "Nazi method" allowed new people to get involved in the business of meth production; people without any knowledge of Chemistry. Could one or more of the women represented a threat to someone's meth operation?

This is a very interesting article. It would appear that Springfield was a hotbed of meth production and this "Nazi method" allowed new people to get involved in the business of meth production; people without any knowledge of Chemistry. Could one or more of the women represented a threat to someone's meth operation?
I've always thought it was done because someone knew too much about somebody, and that drugs were part of the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member