Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have a link to the police statement? I can't remember reading it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I'd be interested also.
I've looked & can't find it😞

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

There have been several public and private views that the perp(s) identities are known. I do believe that. Last police statement strongly hinted at that view.
When was Last statement ?
Common sense would dictate the grand jury but not enough to indict.. but who knows ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When was Last statement ?
Common sense would dictate the grand jury but not enough to indict.. but who knows ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was the last official statement I am aware of the police issuing.

"The kidnapper clearly spent a considerable amount of time out and about from late at night on Saturday, June 6, 1992, into the morning of Sunday, June 7, 1992. The kidnapper had to have been unaccounted for at the time of the crime. Someone who knew or lived with the kidnapper in 1992 likely would have been aware of this fact. In addition, in order to explain his whereabouts on the night of the crime, the kidnapper may have fabricated a story regarding his activities.

Around the time of the crime, the kidnapper may have spent a considerable amount of time in, or may otherwise have been familiar with, the area of the crime, and he may have frequently been out and about at odd hours. The kidnapper also may have developed an interest in the victims.

People who know the kidnapper may not believe he is capable of committing this type of crime, and he may not have a history of committing crimes of violence."

That is an excerpt from the news of KY-3, a Springfield television statement.

Any grand jury record of course would be sealed but we can probably assume there was insufficient evidence to indict.

My understanding, however, is that there was great interest in the alleged van. I can personally recall that from the 7th Floor of the State Office Building I observed a similar van. I called into the SPD and within a very short time, three plain clothes officers (I am assuming they were SPD) arrived and inspected the vehicle and left.

I could speculate but that is probably not wise. I will say this, however, one of the major suspects, who was later convicted of a 1985 murder, used to come to my place of employment to "visit" with family there. It was common knowledge that he had commited the murder and when DNA linked him he was convicted and remains behind bars. DNA linked him to that murder.

Note: The above statement would obviously not apply to the convicted murderer. But there may be a connection to the individual who the police referred to in their statement.

This was the last official statement I am aware of .

People who know the kidnapper may not believe he is capable of committing this type of crime, and he may not have a history of committing crimes of violence."

If in fact that is the case , that narrows down the usual suspect pool Very quickly !
And indicates one lone male .

If the significant other of the abductor has knowledge or suspicion . Why not come forward OR an anonymous tip where they are ?
Have they been threatened ? Would the location cast guilt on the responsible party ? Or are they deceased ? Which would be the worst sinario imo for solving the case .

If in fact that is the case , that narrows down the usual suspect pool Very quickly !

If the significant other of the abductor has knowledge or suspicion . Why not come forward OR an anonymous tip where they are ?
Have they been threatened ? Would the location cast guilt on the responsible party ? Or are they deceased ? Which would be the worst sinario imo for solving the case .
That post got me a bit riled up again over this case😊
And now yours.
I think you're onto something Texas T.😉

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

One such possible suspect (but not accepted by all) recently died. But it doesn't end there.

I could speculate further but don't wish to violate any TOS rules. I will just leave it there as to the specific question.

What I believe I can say is that all individuals who could conceivably have anything to do with this case are known by several law enforcement agencies. That I do know and can say that as fact.

IMO, the most plausible thing that happened : Sherrill Levitt was the main target. She was on the phone with a friend that evening (who??) It's likely she told this friend that she was going to be alone that evening, the girls said to her that they would stay @ Janelle. The girls walked into this scene, forcing the unsub to take them all.

I'm also leaning towards the theory that the crime began before the girls even returned home. Unless both Suzie and Stacy were known to the perp(s), the risk of targeting Sherrill (provided she was indeed the main target) while there were two other cars parked in her driveway is high risk. Otherwise, what's to say Stacy's car could not have belonged to a male visitor to the home? I get the impression that she was not a regular visitor to Delmar St, either.

The thing that has always baffled me is how did the perp/perps enter the home? The only thing sinister was the broken porch light globe. I personally think that 1 of the 3 women willingly let the perp/perps into the home. There was no sign of a forced entry, so either Suzie accidentally left the door unlocked when she and Stacy arrived home, or someone unknown had a key and let themselves in, or someone arrived and was let in willingly.

I feel it it was the last scenario that makes the most sense. And who would anyone let into your home in the middle of the night? Either someone you knew and trusted, or someone in a position of "authority" such as a police officer or someone impersonating a police officer. I feel Sherrill or Suzie were targeted for whatever reason. Stacy was simply collateral damage so to speak.

My husband and I lived in Joplin, Mo. at the time and he played in a local band that many times played in Springfield mostly at a club called "The Bottom Line". His band were friends with several hairdressers in Springfield at that time, and let me tell you with assurance drugs were rampant in both the music scene and the hairdressing crowd. Mostly cocaine.

I have no evidence to back this up of course, but have often wondered if Sherrill was either involved or knew too much. She was older than most of the hairdressers that hung around the club, but maybe she found out something and had to be silenced. Whatever happened, it's so scary and sad. I'm beginning to think it will never be solved.

Also, with all respect, I personally don't think the crime was already in progress when Suzie and Stacy arrived home. From what I've read and heard the two girls arrived home and had enough time to remove their makeup, remove clothing and possibly even go to bed. If I were the perp(s) I would want to get out of there as quickly as possible. I don't think I would wait for them to do all that. I would confront them immediately. However, this is just my humble opinion. ��

The thing that has always baffled me is how did the perp/perps enter the home? The only thing sinister was the broken porch light globe. I personally think that 1 of the 3 women willingly let the perp/perps into the home. There was no sign of a forced entry, so either Suzie accidentally left the door unlocked when she and Stacy arrived home, or someone unknown had a key and let themselves in, or someone arrived and was let in willingly.

I feel it it was the last scenario that makes the most sense. And who would anyone let into your home in the middle of the night? Either someone you knew and trusted, or someone in a position of "authority" such as a police officer or someone impersonating a police officer. I feel Sherrill or Suzie were targeted for whatever reason. Stacy was simply collateral damage so to speak.

My husband and I lived in Joplin, Mo. at the time and he played in a local band that many times played in Springfield mostly at a club called "The Bottom Line". His band were friends with several hairdressers in Springfield at that time, and let me tell you with assurance drugs were rampant in both the music scene and the hairdressing crowd. Mostly cocaine.

I have no evidence to back this up of course, but have often wondered if Sherrill was either involved or knew too much. She was older than most of the hairdressers that hung around the club, but maybe she found out something and had to be silenced. Whatever happened, it's so scary and sad. I'm beginning to think it will never be solved.
BBM
Kittycat01, I am a licensed Master Nail Artist/Teacher with a Master Cosmetology Associate Degree, retired early due to disabilities.
Cocaine was just part of it, plus I was a 10 year everyday user, not while working though and yes, it's prevalent in clubs and with musicians and also chefs. I was surprised to find out about chefs and cocaine because in my book, coke and food don't mix. LOL JMO
I'm not referring to everyone working in a salon as my salon was not like that, nor am I referring to all Musicians and Chefs. My experience only.

Hi U2 Forever (BTW, I saw U2 live in Denver, they are awesome!)

I can't help but feel either drugs involving Sherrill or Suzie's ex-boyfriend had a role to play. A random sexual predator would more than likely not enter a home not knowing whether a male might or might not be present. There are exceptions, The Original Night Stalker, and Richard Ramirez come to mind. but I'm inclined to believe that the person or persons involved knew Sherrill and Suzie and wanted to exact some kind of revenge.

Also,qsI

Sorry, my IPad has suddenly gone crazy LOL! Anyway, my bottom line is I don't think this was a random crime. Either Sherrill was involved in something or knew too much about the drug scene in Springfield, or Suzie's ex boyfriend did not want her to testify against him.

Sorry, my IPad has suddenly gone crazy LOL! Anyway, my bottom line is I don't think this was a random crime. Either Sherrill was involved in something or knew too much about the drug scene in Springfield, or Suzie's ex boyfriend did not want her to testify against him.

I also think that the crime was not random, I also think that the timing was not random and I mean to the fact that the kidnapping happened a short time after the Graduation Ceremony , why the kidnapping didn't happened days before the Graduation Ceremony? As if someone had been waited deliberately to the end of the Ceremony.

I think that the criminals divided : those who ordered the kidnapping and another group who committed the crime, it is possible that Sherrill and Suzie new one of the perps or more than one.

My arrival to websleuths.com was after watching and reading about the Springfield 3, It is incomprehensible that 3 women vanished from a home and 25
years after there is no Closure to the families and justice for Sherril , Suzie and Stacy.

There are more than a few people who know what happened and unfortunately this case is going to be solved only if the money award will be huge, sadly people will talk for reasons of greed not becouse they found their conscience.

I also think that the crime was not random, I also think that the timing was not random and I mean to the fact that the kidnapping happened a short time after the Graduation Ceremony , why the kidnapping didn't happened days before the Graduation Ceremony? As if someone had been waited deliberately to the end of the Ceremony.

I think that the criminals divided : those who ordered the kidnapping and another group who committed the crime, it is possible that Sherrill and Suzie new one of the perps or more than one.

My arrival to websleuths.com was after watching and reading about the Springfield 3, It is incomprehensible that 3 women vanished from a home and 25
years after there is no Closure to the families and justice for Sherrill , Suzie and Stacy.

There are more than a few people who know what happened and unfortunately this case is going to be solved only if the money award will be huge, sadly people will talk for reasons of greed not because they found their conscience.

I think you are exactly right.

I think you are exactly right.

Missouri Mule, what is your Theory about the timing of the abduction?
why do you think the abduction happened so close after the Graduation ?

The perps saw 3 cars and yet they committed the crime, it's almost looks like that they had a deadline and coming back the following day or on another day was not an option .

I can't stop thinking about the horror the women felt when they were taken from the house , stacy was partially dressed , the perps didn't even let her dressed and I think the poor woman already knew that they would not be saved .:frown:

I almost sure that the perps themself didn't believe that they will be able to be free 25 years later after the heinous crime they committed.

Interesting case, I know you all appreciate fresh eyes on these types of things. I came from a reddit post and have been browsing through the 7 (or rather 5) threads here, and this comment really sticks out to me from thread #1 based on most I've read/understand:

"here's what I'm thinking. Pretty unlikely anybody followed Suzie and Stacy home. Based on the time frame given when they left the party and arrived at Suzie's house, it makes perfect sense so I don't think they stopped anywhere in between the last party and when they went to Janelle's house. Nothing seemed outta the ordinary to anybody at the party and if the abductors wanted either of these girls, there would be much better times to do it. Which means it was directed at Sherrill. Also unlikely this was a random crime. It was somebody Sherrill knew and if that's the case, VERY odd it happened to be on a night when NOBODY was gonna be home except her. I wonder if it was common for Suzie to stay at friends houses or she was out often. It could be coincidental that the grad night was gonna be picked in which Suzie was gonna be outta town or at a friend's house. But if it wasn't, that particular night was planned, then list of suspects really narrows."

To further this, if the girls were going to WhiteWater the following day from what was supposed to be a friends house, that effectively gave the perp an even larger head start before anyone came home or realized Sherrill was missing. Which makes the timing all that more interesting... If the perp was trying to abduct just Sherrill, what are the odds he does it while the girls get home at 2:50am? What if he finished at 1:30am? Then the girls would've been the first on the crime scene. So many questions..

Missouri Mule, what is your Theory about the timing of the abduction?

why do you think the abduction happened so close after the Graduation ?

The perps saw 3 cars and yet they committed the crime, it's almost looks like that they had a deadline and coming back the following day or on another day was not an option .

I can't stop thinking about the horror the women felt when they were taken from the house , stacy was partially dressed , the perps didn't even let her dressed and I think the poor woman already knew that they would not be saved .:frown:

I almost sure that the perps themself didn't believe that they will be able to be free 25 years later after the heinous crime they committed.

I had a long and detailed reply. Unfortunately the page was reloaded and it was all lost.

In the meantime a rereading of post #28 in thread #1 would be helpful.

I do believe the timing had had to do with the upcoming testimony.

Interesting case, I know you all appreciate fresh eyes on these types of things. I came from a reddit post and have been browsing through the 7 (or rather 5) threads here, and this comment really sticks out to me from thread #1 based on most I've read/understand:

"here's what I'm thinking. Pretty unlikely anybody followed Suzie and Stacy home. Based on the time frame given when they left the party and arrived at Suzie's house, it makes perfect sense so I don't think they stopped anywhere in between the last party and when they went to Janelle's house. Nothing seemed outta the ordinary to anybody at the party and if the abductors wanted either of these girls, there would be much better times to do it. Which means it was directed at Sherrill. Also unlikely this was a random crime. It was somebody Sherrill knew and if that's the case, VERY odd it happened to be on a night when NOBODY was gonna be home except her. I wonder if it was common for Suzie to stay at friends houses or she was out often. It could be coincidental that the grad night was gonna be picked in which Suzie was gonna be outta town or at a friend's house. But if it wasn't, that particular night was planned, then list of suspects really narrows."

To further this, if the girls were going to WhiteWater the following day from what was supposed to be a friends house, that effectively gave the perp an even larger head start before anyone came home or realized Sherrill was missing. Which makes the timing all that more interesting... If the perp was trying to abduct just Sherrill, what are the odds he does it while the girls get home at 2:50am? What if he finished at 1:30am? Then the girls would've been the first on the crime scene. So many questions..

I believe are right on the money. Your point about only Sherrill being home alone (as expected) is very relevant. Best post I have seen in a long time!

That list certainly narrows, doesn't it? Have to sleep on that. Only two names come to mind unless it truly was a "sexual assault." If that were true we would certainly have to throw the GJ3 and Cox intothe list of viable suspects.

How do you square the "trusted" abductor? (meaning more than one participant) That seems to be highlighted in the last official police statement as I recall.

I believe are right on the money. Your point about only Sherrill being home alone is also quite relevant. Best post I have seen in a long time!

That list certainly narrows, doesn't it? Have to sleep on that. Only two names come to mind unless it truly was a "sexual assault." If that were true we would certainly have to throw the GJ3 and Cox in the list of viable suspects.

Appreciate that. You'll have to forgive me as I'm not quite up to speed on the suspects and all that. I'm not even 100% sure what GJ3 is in reference to but I'll keep learning. I will say this - although this doesn't provide any new leads, just adds to the craziness of it - Let's assume the theory above is true. Someone was coming for Sherill and assuming she was home alone. If the perp came AFTER 2:50am/when the other girls got home, a perp of this caliber (you reference in prior posts how detail oriented and careful they must to have been with the fake crime scene) would've called it off upon seeing 2 additional cars in the driveway, no? That would mean there are 2+ additional people in the house they didn't plan on. Which would mean, in the context of Sherill was the target theory, the perp was likely already in the house when the 2 girls got home around 3:00am. Which would mean that those poor girls were never meant to walk into that house... Creepy.

But then that begs the question, where was the perp's car? Did the two girls see it and just not think too much of it? Perhaps the perp knocked Sherill out when he heard the cars pull up and ambushed the girls once they walked in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966