Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On ProBoards is a very detailed listing of the clothing and other relevant information.

Best way to find it is to type in Google "ProBoards Springfield Missing Women."

Look for "The House."

Somewhere (I don't remember where) was that she was wearing a floral dress. That would require someone with extensive knowledge of her wardrobe.

It would be so helpful in the police would go down the list of things that are proven facts. Sometimes going over what we think we know and what can be proven makes my hair hurt.

It is probably arguably true that Stacy was not wearing any shorts unless she had taken out a clean pair from her overnight bag but that has never been stated. What Suzie and Sherrill were wearing would be sheer speculation.

Frankly, I don't understand why the police don't get out in front of this investigation and help us understand. Surely after 25 years the public would be comforted and the surviving family members would have some assurance the case is currently being handled. I'm not sure it is even being worked any longer to be perfectly honest. All I hear is that it is an active investigation and a confession is needed. Very frustrating.

Probably the most single important fact, so far as I know, it that whoever was let in was trusted by either Suzie or Sherrill. That has got to narrow the suspect list to a previous few. Nobody lets someone in the middle of the night unless they trust the person. Speculation: That could have been a cop or a police impersonator. There were three uniforms stolen from a dry cleaner sometime earlier from reports deemed credible.

Remember that not only did the house have a regular door but it also had a storm door which means that had someone come to the door, Sherrill or Suzie could have seen who was outside the storm door. The front porch light and the yard light were on as they were connected to the same switch. Surely the individual presenting himself had to be identified.

I can relate a particular time that some guy came to my door after 10 PM out in the country and our house was some 400 feet off the road. He had gotten lost. It was unsettling even to me. It was after that time I purchased my first gun. It is my understanding Sherrill was very security conscious. There is no indication that entry was gained through a window or other entry point although it has been speculated that a window had been left open to allow the paint fumes to escape. Also it is not impossible that the sliding glass door on the back side of Suzie's bedroom could have been lifted off the tracks and entry gained. To my knowledge no such claim has been advanced.

To put this into perspective, the house back then was in the early $40s in valuation. To the west were many "old money" homes in a semi gated community that were in the half million dollar range. So why pick this house if the intention was burglary?

Who could be trusted enough to be allowed into the house?

There's so much conjecture and unconfirmed "facts", it hurts. I can't imagine how it feels following this case for so long. What is the benefit of the LE "knowing" who it is but waiting for a confession? If the confession never comes, will they ever let the public know? It's mind boggling that they haven't at least come out and confirm facts.

63d969d5018de030bce51abd7f3af49e.jpg

3 commanders hired in 1992 just retired . Bad news . Not sure how many Officers then still around to continue interest in the investigation .

On ProBosrds, someone with the handle "Michoacán" gave a full account of what Suzy and Sherrill were wearing based on what was missing from their clothes-closet. She does not, however, give the bases for her knowledge so I can not assess the credibility.

She ( for some reason I sensed she was a woman) claimed that Sherrill was wearing a floral dress. She doesn't mention footwear

She claimed Suzy was wearing the white tee shirt, jeans and pink shoes she wore at the parties that night.

Stacy was wearing her yellow shirt and her panties. Her shorts were neatly folded near the bed.

(I seem to recall Stacy's mother claiming Stacy had no other clothes with her that night)

Michoacán speculated that the reason Stacy had undressed for bed but Sherrill and Suzy hadn't was because the women had to take turns in the bathroom and Stacy was finished while Suzy had just begun when the perpetrator arrived. This is possible but there are indications that both beds had been slept in. Would Sherrill have been wearing a floral dress while reading in bed with the covers drawn? This was almost 3:00am.

If, as I speculated, both Suzy and Sherrill got dressed to "entertain" who ever arrived, why would Suzy put on her shoes and Sherrill put on a dress?

There are some people on ProBoards that claim to know A Lot but they don't seem to know the names of those involved.

I suspect it is more conjecture than any else but the basic theory of the crime seemed to be that Sherrill and/or Suzy knew to much about something a lot more serious than grave robbing and some local criminal heavyweight had to have them taken care of.

Sounds plausible but what criminal activity would ether of them have knowledge of? Somehow, I would think that if someone wanted one or both of them dead, he would have waited for an appropriate time and killed only the intended target and just leave the bodies where they fell and get out of Dodge.

Involving additional victims and transporting them alive would be pointlessly risky and would generate far more law enforcement attention. Whatever other motives were involved, I strongly suspect the reason the women were abducted was sexual.

Mule, you are familiar with the folks on the site. How credible are they?

Even this -- "It's a pleasure to see this thread active again" -- has been said dozens of times by now, but it's always true regardless. Thanks again, all, for the work that's gone on, and goes on, regarding 3MW. Whether posting as refreshers or as new angles into this most fascinating of cases, it's a pleasure to read and think along with you all. Please keep it up.

On ProBosrds, someone with the handle "Michoacán" gave a full account of what Suzy and Sherrill were wearing based on what was missing from their clothes-closet. She does not, however, give the bases for her knowledge so I can not assess the credibility.

She ( for some reason I sensed she was a woman) claimed that Sherrill was wearing a floral dress. She doesn't mention footwear

She claimed Suzy was wearing the white tee shirt, jeans and pink shoes she wore at the parties that night.

Stacy was wearing her yellow shirt and her panties. Her shorts were neatly folded near the bed.

(I seem to recall Stacy's mother claiming Stacy had no other clothes with her that night)

Michoacán speculated that the reason Stacy had undressed for bed but Sherrill and Suzy hadn't was because the women had to take turns in the bathroom and Stacy was finished while Suzy had just begun when the perpetrator arrived. This is possible but there are indications that both beds had been slept in. Would Sherrill have been wearing a floral dress while reading in bed with the covers drawn? This was almost 3:00am.

If, as I speculated, both Suzy and Sherrill got dressed to "entertain" who ever arrived, why would Suzy put on her shoes and Sherrill put on a dress?

There are some people on ProBoards that claim to know A Lot but they don't seem to know the names of those involved.

I suspect it is more conjecture than any else but the basic theory of the crime seemed to be that Sherrill and/or Suzy knew to much about something a lot more serious than grave robbing and some local criminal heavyweight had to have them taken care of.

Sounds plausible but what criminal activity would ether of them have knowledge of? Somehow, I would think that if someone wanted one or both of them dead, he would have waited for an appropriate time and killed only the intended target and just leave the bodies where they fell and get out of Dodge.

Involving additional victims and transporting them alive would be pointlessly risky and would generate far more law enforcement attention. Whatever other motives were involved, I strongly suspect the reason the women were abducted was sexual.

Mule, you are familiar with the folks on the site. How credible are they?

Some are. Some are trolls and some could actually be involved although it is not possible to know in that many only have a screen name. I have spent many many hours, days and weeks trying to find out who they are. Some I have exchanged many private messages and emails. I know some of their names as well. I am always suspicious of people who stubbornly refuse their identities privately. Many know and have even published my name and address. Frankly I don't care any more. I have also been accused of being involved myself.

As to the individual you cite, I believe there is great credibility. Having said that I did not gather that the writer was female. I have a lengthy analysis from that person going through the case piece by piece, providing the motive and even who engineered the abductions. Nothing in that very long analysis contradicts what I personally know.

The proprietor of the website is a straight shooter, I have no doubt.

In my opinion there are 3 possible Scenarios regarding Suzie [FONT=&amp]ex-boyfriend [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Dustin Recla and his friend [/FONT]Michael Clay:

1. They Among the ones who committed the crime and took very active role in the crime.

2. They got an order from the "big Boss" to participate in the crime ( the "boss" was someone who was involved in serious crimes) Maybe they were not very enthusiastic to participate in the crime but they did not dare to refuse .

[FONT=&amp]3. [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Dustin Recla and [/FONT]Michael Clay were not involved in the crime but they definitely know what is the motive and who is the mastermind behind the Disappearance of Suzie ,Sherrill and stacy.

I wonder if Suzie somehow was in contact with Dustin that night? I know they were no longer together, and she was going to testify against him, but since it was her graduation night at some point could have they run into each other at one of the parties the girls attended? Could he somehow have "sweet talked" her into letting him come over later that night? I know there weren't cell phones then, but could have they arranged a late night hookup and she let him and someone else in? I still believe either Suzie and Sherrill were targeted. Has anyone ever determined if Dustin had an ironclad alibi for that night?

I wonder if Suzie somehow was in contact with Dustin that night? I know they were no longer together, and she was going to testify against him, but since it was her graduation night at some point could have they run into each other at one of the parties the girls attended? Could he somehow have "sweet talked" her into letting him come over later that night? I know there weren't cell phones then, but could have they arranged a late night hookup and she let him and someone else in? I still believe either Suzie and Sherrill were targeted. Has anyone ever determined if Dustin had an ironclad alibi for that night?

My recollection is that he was with Clay. I'm relative confident that neither had alibis except each other. Memory is that the chief ruled them out which did not set well with several detectives.

My recollection is that he was with Clay. I'm relative confident that neither had alibis except each other. Memory is that the chief ruled them out which did not set well with several detectives.

It is very hard for me to believe that Dustin and Michael Clay don't know nothing about the disappearance of Sherrill , Suzie and stacy . They were not the kind of guys who helped a nice old lady to cross the street.

I think that except for their "regular"crimes Dustin and Michael were in contact and work with or For very dangerous people , a criminals from a different league, I strongly believe that this connection of these two with the other criminals led to the Kidnaping.
Maybe the police didn't investigated them hard enough
in those days and after.

Some are. Some are trolls and some could actually be involved although it is not possible to know in that many only have a screen name. I have spent many many hours, days and weeks trying to find out who they are. Some I have exchanged many private messages and emails. I know some of their names as well. I am always suspicious of people who stubbornly refuse their identities privately. Many know and have even published my name and address. Frankly I don't care any more. I have also been accused of being involved myself.

As to the individual you cite, I believe there is great credibility. Having said that I did not gather that the writer was female. I have a lengthy analysis from that person going through the case piece by piece, providing the motive and even who engineered the abductions. Nothing in that very long analysis contradicts what I personally know.

The proprietor of the website is a straight shooter, I have no doubt.

Nothing kills a TC thread more effectively than someone coming forward claiming to know "the whole story" but are unable to disclose anything. That leaves the rest of us with nothing to contribute except, perhaps, to accuse the "insider" of BS'ing.

If this case has, in fact, been solved, but Law Enforcement has decided, for whatever reason that it can not be prosecuted yet details must be withheld from the public, then, so be it, I guess.

The Springfield media has continued to continued to propagate the meme that Law Enforcement is totally baffled and has nothing. I don't know if they are co-operating with the police or no local reporter has kept on top of the story. Either way, it all suggest complicity at some level.

I have never been to Springfield and have no personal stake in this crime, but I have the feeling that this could have been solved and it should have been solved. The failure to solve this crime reflects very badly on all Law Enforcement involved, local government, the "watchdog media" in the region and, perhaps, apathy on the part of the local populace.

Nothing kills a TC thread more effectively than someone coming forward claiming to know "the whole story" but are unable to disclose anything. That leaves the rest of us with nothing to contribute except, perhaps, to accuse the "insider" of BS'ing.

If this case has, in fact, been solved, but Law Enforcement has decided, for whatever reason that it can not be prosecuted yet details must be withheld from the public, then, so be it, I guess.

The Springfield media has continued to continued to propagate the meme that Law Enforcement is totally baffled and has nothing. I don't know if they are co-operating with the police or no local reporter has kept on top of the story. Either way, it all suggest complicity at some level.

I have never been to Springfield and have no personal stake in this crime, but I have the feeling that this could have been solved and it should have been solved. The failure to solve this crime reflects very badly on all Law Enforcement involved, local government, the "watchdog media" in the region and, perhaps, apathy on the part of the local populace.
Great post, Kemo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

It is very hard for me to believe that Dustin and Michael Clay don't know nothing about the disappearance of Sherrill , Suzie and stacy . They were not the kind of guys who helped a nice old lady to cross the street.

I think that except for their "regular"crimes Dustin and Michael were in contact and work with or For very dangerous people , a criminals from a different league, I strongly believe that this connection of these two with the other criminals led to the Kidnaping.
Maybe the police didn't investigated them hard enough
in those days and after.

I lived in or near Springfield for 26 years and know my way around. I moved in 2001 and have only been back about four times.

I will be frank to say that I have been obsessed with this case since it began in 1992. I worked for the State of Missouri and part of my job was tracking people down for money owed. One gets fairly proficient if they do that for any degree of time. Stated differently, I think I have a good feel for this case. I would have given my right arm (figuratively of course) to have had a crack at the case. At the very least I believe I could have eliminated most of the "usual suspects" and gotten down to the nitty gritty. I was not allowed to do that although I offered my services free of charge. Obviously it was declined.

However since that time I had occasion to be in contact with several individuals known to this forum. I think I have a pretty good idea who should be considered and who should not. Some I have had many, many discussions off the site. And not always pleasant I might add.

The one consistent thing that always came through is that the police department was like an ink blotter, what was given was taken and nothing ever came back to me or to the public. From time to time we would be given a new clue here or there but it was oftentimes more confusing than helpful.

There were some top flight officers who worked this case. There were some who evidently had their own ideas who such an investigation should be conducted. This is where I believe it went off the rails. A lot of silliness ensued such as the parking lot garage, psychics and other totally worthless endeavors.

Today, much of the population will only know about this case as they weren't even alive during the early days. There will be the perfunctory 25th annual editions and will be soon forgotten.

I say all this to say this. Some of the individuals close to the case I have been in touch with. As to the "grave robbers" I seriously doubt they had anything to do with the case. Nevertheless it was probably the upcoming court testimony that provoked this crime. As someone has said, I do believe that it was directed by people higher up the food chain and others carried out the crime.

It is said that the perp is known and has been seen at his place of employment. I believe that. However, I do not know his identity. Hurricane might. I don't.

Cox was and is a top drawer suspect. I am agnostic.

No one really seems to believe that Garrison did this crime. But he could have come in on the tail end of the crime after they were taken. I would also add that no one really knows if all three were taken at the same time. I am inclined to think that Sherrill was taken sooner and then the girls came along later. There is no evidence I am aware of that even shows she was there when they came.

It is intriguing that it was said to be likely a sexual assault case. I have no idea how that determination came to be.

Disregarding everything I have just said it would be my bottom line conclusion that this was a drug related crime. Who and what did whatever I do not know. I have my suspicions but that is all.

I would not rule out Carnahan. I would tend to rule out Cox knowing what I know now. I have been told by someone in a position to know that neither was high up the suspect list of about 10 individuals. Carnahan was convicted of the murder of Jackie Johns in 1985. It was common knowledge that he had murdered her but the evidence was not there until the MSHP matched up a DNA sample with him and that put him away. He is 59 and said not to be in good health. He is suspected in other murders and attempted to kidnap a young college student in Springfield. She eluded him and memory is that he got three years on that charge. I met him one time in the elevator in the State Office Building. I saw him come in many times into our office checking on his alibi witness. That was before security was beefed up.

Finally, I would not rule out LE involvement. I think I have said enough.

Lest there be any question about my post, what I have said is my best understanding of what I believe to be true. Frankly, I could be entirely wrong. And if that is the case, I won't be disappointed. I just want the case solved, closed and prosecuted. I'm not getting any younger. I was 48 years old when this happened.

I lived in or near Springfield for 26 years and know my way around. I moved in 2001 and have only been back about four times.

I will be frank to say that I have been obsessed with this case since it began in 1992. I worked for the State of Missouri and part of my job was tracking people down for money owed. One gets fairly proficient if they do that for any degree of time. Stated differently, I think I have a good feel for this case. I would have given my right arm (figuratively of course) to have had a crack at the case. At the very least I believe I could have eliminated most of the "usual suspects" and gotten down to the nitty gritty. I was not allowed to do that although I offered my services free of charge. Obviously it was declined.

However since that time I had occasion to be in contact with several individuals known to this forum. I think I have a pretty good idea who should be considered and who should not. Some I have had many, many discussions off the site. And not always pleasant I might add.

The one consistent thing that always came through is that the police department was like an ink blotter, what was given was taken and nothing ever came back to me or to the public. From time to time we would be given a new clue here or there but it was oftentimes more confusing than helpful.

There were some top flight officers who worked this case. There were some who evidently had their own ideas who such an investigation should be conducted. This is where I believe it went off the rails. A lot of silliness ensued such as the parking lot garage, psychics and other totally worthless endeavors.

Today, much of the population will only know about this case as they weren't even alive during the early days. There will be the perfunctory 25th annual editions and will be soon forgotten.

I say all this to say this. Some of the individuals close to the case I have been in touch with. As to the "grave robbers" I seriously doubt they had anything to do with the case. Nevertheless it was probably the upcoming court testimony that provoked this crime. As someone has said, I do believe that it was directed by people higher up the food chain and others carried out the crime.

It is said that the perp is known and has been seen at his place of employment. I believe that. However, I do not know his identity. Hurricane might. I don't.

Cox was and is a top drawer suspect. I am agnostic.

No one really seems to believe that Garrison did this crime. But he could have come in on the tail end of the crime after they were taken. I would also add that no one really knows if all three were taken at the same time. I am inclined to think that Sherrill was taken sooner and then the girls came along later. There is no evidence I am aware of that even shows she was there when they came.

It is intriguing that it was said to be likely a sexual assault case. I have no idea how that determination came to be.

Disregarding everything I have just said it would be my bottom line conclusion that this was a drug related crime. Who and what did whatever I do not know. I have my suspicions but that is all.

I would not rule out Carnahan. I would tend to rule out Cox knowing what I know now. I have been told by someone in a position to know that neither was high up the suspect list of about 10 individuals. Carnahan was convicted of the murder of Jackie Johns in 1985. It was common knowledge that he had murdered her but the evidence was not there until the MSHP matched up a DNA sample with him and that put him away. He is 59 and said not to be in good health. He is suspected in other murders and attempted to kidnap a young college student in Springfield. She eluded him and memory is that he got three years on that charge. I met him one time in the elevator in the State Office Building. I saw him come in many times into our office checking on his alibi witness. That was before security was beefed up.

Finally, I would not rule out LE involvement. I think I have said enough.

Lest there be any question about my post, what I have said is my best understanding of what I believe to be true. Frankly, I could be entirely wrong. And if that is the case, I won't be disappointed. I just want the case solved, closed and prosecuted. I'm not getting any younger. I was 48 years old when this happened.

Thank you Missouri Mule for Very interesting , detailed and helpful post , you have lots of knowledge ,experience and motivation to solve the crime. I agree with you that something is wrong with the investigation when 3 woman vanished and 25 years the crime has not yet been resolved.

We share the same thought that it was probably the upcoming court testimony that provoked this crime, I think that the "Higher league'" criminals had concerns that the testimony also might leading to them , this is why I think that even if Clay and Dustin are innocent they probably know much more than what they told to the police becouse they might had some kind of connection with those serious criminals .

I can just try to imagine your feelings and members feelings, people who are aware to this case for already many years and want justice for the poor women and their families ,I know about the case only a year and I feel obsessed and frustrated , I am checking for updates daily ,dreaming and hoping that one day I will enter the thread and read : Breaking News in the springfield case .

I recommend everyone reread the first thread. That is what I have been doing for the past two hours. Laborious and tiring but well worth the time.

A couple of quick points. Suzie's bedroom was a converted carport/garage made into a bedroom. There were one or two steps leading into her bedroom. If you can find the photo of the back you will find a typical door to the rear of the house. There is a "doggy" door that I believe the dog would have used. On the side of Suzie's bedroom was a typical inexpensive sliding glass door. It is my understanding that it was possible that the door could have been lifted off the rails. I seriously doubt that was the entry point, however.

After rereading the posts, one subject stands out. I believe he would have been let in. If he had a friend it probably would have been possible to subdue and abduct the women. If he could be ruled out and I don't believe he has been, it is remotely possible. Who might have been with him?

I may be off on the wrong track here but in looking at it again I can't rule him out. I'm thinking the other person may have had extensive experience.

Does it tie in to the upcoming hearing? No.

I've always believed there was only one perp. The perp was known by at least one of the women, who let him in. Their dog, a Yorkie, would have barked its head off, sounding the alarm, had it been a break-in/random home invasion. And Sherrill was too security conscious, according to people who knew her, to open the door in the middle of the night to a stranger.

I also think LE has already interviewed the perp, but cleared him because he passed a polygraph. LE is too eager to clear possible suspects based on polygraph results. JMO.

Was Carnahan rumored to have been involved with Sherrill romantically, or am I confusing him with another POI/suspect? I'm not sure of his age, as their seems to be varying information online - but it could be a possibility that Sherill was seeing someone, who did indeed come over that evening thinking that her daughter would not be home. It might go some way to explain why she was wearing a dress after finishing a piece of furniture. I recall rumors (and there are so many in this case) that Sherill was dating someone at the time of her disappearance, but it's difficult to verify that information.

Was Carnahan rumored to have been involved with Sherrill romantically, or am I confusing him with another POI/suspect? I'm not sure of his age, as their seems to be varying information online - but it could be a possibility that Sherill was seeing someone, who did indeed come over that evening thinking that her daughter would not be home. It might go some way to explain why she was wearing a dress after finishing a piece of furniture. I recall rumors (and there are so many in this case) that Sherill was dating someone at the time of her disappearance, but it's difficult to verify that information.

The only thing I ever read about any connection was that they may have been on a cruise at the same time but not together. With the thousands of people on a cruise ships that would at best be a coincidence and nothing more, if it is even true.

I don't see her having any connection to him with his well known sordid past. By all indications she was a private and circumspect lady.

I see nothing there personally.

The only thing I ever read about any connection was that they may have been on a cruise at the same time but not together. With the thousands of people on a cruise ships that would at best be a coincidence and nothing more, if it is even true.

I don't see her having any connection to him with his well known sordid past. By all indications she was a private and circumspect lady.

I see nothing there personally.

Thanks for the clarification, MM. I'm not sure where I even heard those "claims", may have been on a podcast but after some further reading on him, he would have been much younger than Sherrill in 1992 and therefore more than likely ruling out any kind of romantic/acquaintance connection between the two of them. Did she know of him? Possible, although doubtful. I do believe he could be a viable suspect (or one of) for this crime, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member