MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
GPS is satellite based, off of 4 satellites, that is why it is slower, for example if you have a handheld device (Garmin) they take a little time to lock in on a satellite, especially indoors, I remember placing mine in the window to get a faster lock. With aGPS, over 90% of all cell phones use, it is much faster as it only has to use cell phone towers to triangulate your location. However cell phones will use your data, whereas GPS uses satellites that are free as long as you own your device.

and yes aGPS can be very accurate to a very close proximity, GPS can pinpoint to within 3 feet.

Somewhat OT
Right. Real GPS is fascinating to me. I have a hand held unit that I use when hiking in woods.

It is wonderful. I never go in the woods without it anymore. I bring a spare set of batteries too and I am very careful to not drop it because I pretty much rely on it.

I can go into unfamiliar heavy woods and before I leave my truck I mark my trucks position in a landmark and store it and make sure its stored.

Then get this. I turn off the GPS unit and put it in my backpack. LOL

Then I walk randomly deep in the woods wherever I want to. Then whenever I want to return to my truck I pull out my GPS and do a GOTO truck landmark. It tells me the direction in degrees and also tells me the distance.

It is wonderful and such a piece of mind because as I head towards my truck I watch the distance get shorter and shorter and I know I am going in right direction.
It is the most amazing thing I have ever used. I love it.

I do use a compass too because I have found that the compass helps me walk to the degrees the GPS unit told me to go. Its just easier for me to use it that way. So if my GPS says my truck is at 55 degrees. Then I put the GPS away and use compass to head at a 55 degree heading. Then every now and then I pull out the GPS to check to see what degrees to go and how much farther. It usually is different because I tend to not stay on perfect heading. So the next time I pull it out it may say 48 degrees.

As the distance goes down it lets your mind know you are going to the truck and you are NOT lost. It is wonderful and I recommend anyone who does hiking or anything in the woods to always have one and learn how to use it. It is a very helpful tool.

The GPS does have to lock onto satellites and so sometimes you have to walk to a clearing where not too many thick trees but it usually finds the satellites even in thick cover. Sometimes it takes quite a few minutes to lock down on the satellites but I have never had it fail me ever.

Just dont break it or let your batteries die down. LOL

An interesting thing is I heard where the military who controls GPS can purposely degrade the signal at times but I think that was years ago and since GPS is very popular now I think the military does not degrade the signal much at all. They were testing a feature where they could block the GPS signals in case of missile attack which makes sense but that would only be done if we were under attack.

images

Sorry. Didn't see this till after my last post. I wont add anymore about that OT subject.

I went back through the testimony about SM's phone. It was an IPhone5.

Call Log ***these times are UTC, subtract 5 hours***
Outgoing
12/18/2013 06:09:45 AM UTC to 18625962011 (green arrow)
12/18/2013 06:13:49 AM UTC to 18625962011 (green arrow)
12/18/2013 06:13:55 AM UTC to 18625962011 (green arrow)

Incoming
12/18/2013 08:17:04 AM UTC from: (blue arrow)
12/18/2013 08:17:15 AM UTC voicemail (blue arrow)
12/18/2013 08:17:48 AM UTC from: (blue arrow)

12/18/2013 08:38:45 AM UTC from: 8439978152 (blue arrow)
12/18/2013 08:39:31 AM UTC from: 8439978152 (blue arrow)
12/18/2013 08:40:17 AM UTC from: 8439978152 (blue arrow)
12/18/2013 08:41:34 AM UTC from: 8439978152 (blue arrow)

cellebrite (computer forensic software) has no tower data
calls would have pinged off of tower
Sustained Objection - This guy could not discuss ping data since he was not an expert on that.

next phone call is 3:17 AM - indicates conversation took place
report does not indicate how long, call came in, voicemail shortly thereafter

Instant Messages
about 4:37, 4:38 AM on 12/18
messages were deleted (briefly shown on screen, I could not get the detail)

On the Day 3, Part 5 video, the Iphone was analyzed along with an HP Pavilion it was connected to
Powering Events were collected (apparently this is power on only)
when off, location data cannot be collected
Phone was powered on at 3:02 AM, do not know when it was turned off

Location setting for Photographs
orginally turned on
metadata on photographs indicate in Horry County from 11/5/2013 to 11/11/2013
outside of Horry County starting 11/23
11/23 to 12/07 - to California, various locations, 12/07 in TN
12/10/2013, 12/11/2013 - In Atlanta
After 12/11/2013, no geolocation data available

12/18 there was a voice message recovered, about a minute long, no number showed up and no audio

So, the phone was turned off on the morning of 12/18 after 1:13:55 ( I say this because of the call log above, and the testimony of the first IPhone guy that did not use the HP), and powered back on at 3:02 AM. When exactly it was powered off we do not know.
The geolocation data for photos was turned off on 12/11/2013.

This is the video if anyone cares to watch it again:
[video=youtube;UN53x8XyU0M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN53x8XyU0M[/video]

@Hatfield GPS was brought into thread because of how it related to the trial.

I too find it amazing and the progress it has made over the last few years, I remember not too long ago having to place unit in window sill just to get a fix when indoors, Now with Quickfix, better antennas, they are able to lock in much quicker, sometimes in a matter of seconds. Having had a couple of Navigon's, Tom Tom, and now my Garmin, love the traffic built-in feature, they all pretty much use the same basic principles for setting a route. IE choose your route profile, faster (highways) optimum or shortest route so that is my biggest gripe is that it has to be changed in settings.

I do prefer True GPS for driving over aGPS which is on phones. Waze (phones) great company/app before Google purchased them, really no progress since acquisition. The one thing I love about Waze and wish GPS would incorporate this one feature of brilliance is that when you set a destination, it gives you three different route options, you can choose which ever one you prefer. If you know traveling a different route would be better for that time of day, just choose it. I wish the GPS companies would do the same instead of having to putz around and change settings to short route etc

I guess they will all get you there, but some do a much better job. Anyways, back to Heather, there are both GPS and aGPS used or not used in her case. What was used in SM's truck was satellite based GPS and the cell phones were aGPS cell towers triangulated.

People are right that there are 3 new things still to happen for case for SM. I may have missed if any other dates were confirmed on these 3 things or not.

"Sidney Moorer is still charged with obstruction of justice, but a trial date has not been set for that charge. "

"Moorer has a hearing scheduled in September for breaking the gag order, which prohibits discussion of the case, by speaking with a media outlet during the trial. "

"Richardson said the trial, in which Assistant Solicitors Nancy Livesay and Martin Spratlin called about two dozen witnesses to testify, will be held again. "

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article86651182.html

People are right that there are 3 new things still to happen for case for SM. I may have missed if any other dates were confirmed on these 3 things or not.

"Sidney Moorer is still charged with obstruction of justice, but a trial date has not been set for that charge. "

"Moorer has a hearing scheduled in September for breaking the gag order, which prohibits discussion of the case, by speaking with a media outlet during the trial. "

"Richardson said the trial, in which Assistant Solicitors Nancy Livesay and Martin Spratlin called about two dozen witnesses to testify, will be held again. "

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/crime/article86651182.html

BBM - No, other than the September date for breaking the gag order, no other dates have been announced for the other 2 proceedings.

So, the phone was turned off on the morning of 12/18 after 1:13:55

VERY interesting! Right as SM was in Walmart purchasing the pregnancy test (and cigarello) and a mere 21 minutes before call Heather from the payphone.

Just a thought SM and TM went west..while gone talked and talked she hit him and he let her ..... She said she had a boyfriend so I don't see him seeing a woman being something they would split up over ..then They decided to make the marriage work.
that statement makes me think he told her HE was pregnant and That's what they talked about before they got back....just my opinion ...but that is what came to my mind when I heard it ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBDunes: I have just been thinking about the retrial, the separate OOJ trial and the trial for violating the gag order. What a waste of resources.

I still do not understand the legality for the separate trial for OOJ?

Is there a legal reason for the trial for the violation of the gag order? Will that be a jury trial? It wasn't at the judge's discretion to render punishment at the time he spoke to SM in the court about it?
BBM:
I think the judge could have rendered a sentence for the gag order violation right then and there, but once again, nothing. I also believe he will not punish him in September, just waiting for that item to die down and he may just dismiss it quietly. JMO

I don't know what my iphone uses but it's crazy accurate. I've used it to find my way around big cities and it's accurate to the very spot I'm standing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poppygirl, I have an iphone and your so right. It is so accurate it's scary but since I don't usually go out committing crimes I am okay with it.
I pray no one ever has to use it to find me, but it's there if needed. I always keep my Facebook and other apps with location off.
A few years ago after I got my iphone, I did not know it was there and a Facebook friend messaged me and he told me he knew exactly where I was.
Scared the carp out me and it's been off ever since.

:hills: :escape: :hills: :escape: :hills:

Hi everyone. I've been gone from here a while because with the gag order and everything, it was just not much going on and honestly was too horrifyingly obnoxious to want to discuss at length. I did however want to come on now after the trial and express a few things...

1) Gratitude for all of you still following this case.
2) Gratitude for you all noticing the crooked court goings on.
3) Shock at how little the jury deliberated in such an important case.
4) I found the evidence presented at the trial very interesting. My theory has shifted a lot as time goes on and keeps moving fluidly. One thing is for certain though, I believe SM did kidnap Heather in accordance with the definitions given by the court. If it had just been the payphone call, I would have had "reasonable doubt" which is probably what they wanted. However apparently something went wrong because it became so much more than just one call, so much tracked back to him that I no longer have that reasonable doubt.
5) I wonder what the significance of Longbeard is, and it had NOT been mentioned before to my knowledge, particularly in media here. Which makes me hopeful this new tidbit will bring new witness(es) from that location. (Straggling employees getting off late after finishing side work, cleaning, etc..?) Was SM working there??? He says Sticky Fingers, but who believes anything he says?
6) I realized listening to KT again from the beginning that SM's entire defense subtly depended on pinning it on TM. Wonder what the Missus thinks of that?! I'm guessing hers will be pinning it all on SM. If one did it, the other couldn't have. and they can't be forced to testify against each other. Grrr.
7) While I'm upset the jury did not find a conviction, I am glad it was a mistrial. Now the state has a little more time to build more of a case. And this slow leak of info thanks to the trial may jog someones memory. So I'm more hopeful after the trial (especially hearing it was 10-2 guilty) that the next will be what is needed.

P.S. Happy Birthday Heather! (Her B-Day was yesterday, DE had an event at PTL taking donations for CUE Center for Missing Persons in Heather's honor.)

Edit: I almost forgot. Notice the repeated mention of the note at TK "Hey Ladies, please stop f*cking the maintenance man, he's married." I point out the use of LADIES. with an S. Makes me wonder if more than one TK staff member was banging SM, and if so was the other one jealous, and did they instigate this whole thing, tell SM about the pregnancy, try to split them up, and inadvertently (or directly) lead to HE's demise?

Hi everyone. I've been gone from here a while because with the gag order and everything, it was just not much going on and honestly was too horrifyingly obnoxious to want to discuss at length. I did however want to come on now after the trial and express a few things...

4) I found the evidence presented at the trial very interesting. My theory has shifted a lot as time goes on and keeps moving fluidly. One thing is for certain though, I believe SM did kidnap Heather in accordance with the definitions given by the court. If it had just been the payphone call, I would have had "reasonable doubt" which is probably what they wanted. However apparently something went wrong because it became so much more than just one call, so much tracked back to him that I no longer have that reasonable doubt.
5) I wonder what the significance of Longbeard is, and it had NOT been mentioned before to my knowledge, particularly in media here. Which makes me hopeful this new tidbit will bring new witness(es) from that location. (Straggling employees getting off late after finishing side work, cleaning, etc..?) Was SM working there??? He says Sticky Fingers, but who believes anything he says?
6) I realized listening to KT again from the beginning that SM's entire defense subtly depended on pinning it on TM. Wonder what the Missus thinks of that?! I'm guessing hers will be pinning it all on SM. If one did it, the other couldn't have. and they can't be forced to testify against each other. Grrr.
7) While I'm upset the jury did not find a conviction, I am glad it was a mistrial. Now the state has a little more time to build more of a case. And this slow leak of info thanks to the trial may jog someones memory. So I'm more hopeful after the trial (especially hearing it was 10-2 guilty) that the next will be what is needed.

P.S. Happy Birthday Heather! (Her B-Day was yesterday, DE had an event at PTL taking donations for CUE Center for Missing Persons in Heather's honor.)

Edit: I almost forgot. Notice the repeated mention of the note at TK "Hey Ladies, please stop f*cking the maintenance man, he's married." I point out the use of LADIES. with an S. Makes me wonder if more than one TK staff member was banging SM, and if so was the other one jealous, and did they instigate this whole thing, tell SM about the pregnancy, try to split them up, and inadvertently (or directly) lead to HE's demise?

Hey @CarolinaAsh! Long time no see!

BBM

Yeah, kinda perturbed about the whole Longbeard's location being a surprise during the trial. I can see LE holding back on other info, but not this. IMO, she was "lured" (or whatever we want to call it) there not PTL.

I guess it was better that the jury came back deadlocked than finding him completely innocent. :doh:

BBM

Yeah, kinda perturbed about the whole Longbeard's location being a surprise during the trial. I can see LE holding back on other info, but not this. IMO, she was "lured" (or whatever we want to call it) there not PTL.

I guess it was better that the jury came back deadlocked than finding him completely innocent. :doh:

Hi Peter! Glad to see you! Yeah that one came out of left field. Had me questioning everything I thought we knew.

Welcome back, CarolinaAsh! I can tell your brain's been churning. I agree with every last bit. I hadn't thought about the plurality in the TK "maintenance man" note. Good catch. And I'm having a hard time shaking Longbeard's too. I just feel like something is going to come of it. I don't know what, and I don't know when, but something.

BBM

Longbeards came as a surprise to me also. Although, I don't think if it was presented as the place Heather was lured to would have flown in the trial. How would the narrative have gone? I guess something like she was lured there and then her car and phone was taken to PTL to be ditched? Also, they would have had to explain who it was driving her car back to her apartment and the reason for that. Who called who once they arrived at PTL?

Longbeards came as a surprise to me also. Although, I don't think if it was presented as the place Heather was lured to would have flown in the trial. How would the narrative have gone? I guess something like she was lured there and then her car and phone was taken to PTL to be ditched? Also, they would have had to explain who it was driving her car back to her apartment and the reason for that. Who called who once they arrived at PTL?
The State can't prove Heather met one or both of the M's at Longbeard's. But with the PTL scenario, they can show that Heather's phone and car (possibly) intersected with SM's truck IMOO.

Doesn't bode well with me.

The State can't prove Heather met one or both of the M's at Longbeard's. But with the PTL scenario, they can show that Heather's phone and car (possibly) intersected with SM's truck IMOO.

Doesn't bode well with me.

I agree about the intersection of his truck, her car and phone intersecting. Why doesn't it bode well with you?

The only reason I doubt SM was having relations with someone else besides Heather at that time is no other suggestion or info of him doing so was in evidence. Surely if there were others someone from TK would have said something about it. I really think that note left with the "ladies" (plural) at TK was so that just the one person who was involved with SM (Heather) would not be pointed out directly.

I agree about the intersection of his truck, her car and phone intersecting. Why doesn't it bode well with you?
Because I feel they are trying to make what evidence they have fit neatly for their case even though it's not what actually happened. And, the fact that LB's was never brought to the public's attention early on when witnesses may have seen or heard something or search teams could have searched around that area.

And, I do understand that they don't have to have every single detail of what went down that night for a conviction.

Would have been nice to pursue a different direction in the investigation prior to Heather's phone/car ended up at PTL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiousXladybug99