MISTRIAL - Sidney Moorer on trial for the kidnapping of Heather Elvis #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This just makes me upset, it was a circumstantial case, there was no direct evidence, and they made it clear that circumstantial evidence is to be looked at the same way as direct evidence would be. So disappointing.
Direct evidence is an eyewitness to the crime, a confession by the perp, or a video of the crime. Everything else is "circumstantial" including blood, hair, fibers, footprints, fingerprints, etc.

There was video of 2 events: SM at the payphone making the call to Heather, and 2 different videos of the Moorer's black truck going to and from PTL.

99% of cases are "just circumstantial." That's what most people don't understand. There wasn't *forensic* evidence found in this case but there was plenty of evidence.

I totally get what you are saying.But there is no proof that it was bought for Heather.Now had Sidney sent a text message to Heather stating that he had bought her a test...well that would be a whole other ballgame.

So is it reasonable that:

1. Sidney claimed his wife was in the truck at Walmart, yet he locks her in the truck with his remote and takes the keys and remote with him?
2. A wife sits in the truck when she has the chance to go into Walmart? (what wife who can easily walk does this?)
3. RIGHT after buying a pregnancy test, the husband immediately drives to a pay phone (a pay phone?) parks no where near the pay phone to avoid being spotted on camera, and calls his EX-mistress...the one he hasn't talked to in weeks, to tell her "he left his wife, misses her, and wants to be with her?" Meanwhile he hasn't left his wife and has no intent to do so.
4. A couple hours after that the husband drives his F150 truck to a dark, desolate boat landing where the victim's car is also found abandoned, right at the same time?
5. The husband erases data from the 'black box' on his truck covering just the time period the crime occured
6. The husband/wife (one or both of them) discards a working DVR security system and purchases a brand new one TWO days after the crime.

You have to take the events in totality. You really think Sidney was purchasing that pregnancy test for his WIFE? Then why immediately call the ex mistress? Common sense.

"What if...." you can what if anything and everything and get absolutely no where. They were told to look at the evidence presented.... not to try to apply "what if" scenarios.... jmo

BBM - Amen! I think that was the problem. The hold outs wanted to what if everything to death instead of looking at the credibility of evidence and following the jury instructions.

I believe in our justice system. I really do. Sometimes it's hard to accept when the jury's decision differs from mine but I respect their decision. Most of us here followed this from the beginning. It may be fairly easy for some of us to determine guilty bard bc we've been privy to more info than those jurors. I personally don't think the prosecution did the best job they could have and if I'm being completely honest I'd add not by a long shot.

Why was Sticky Fingers not brought up, especially considering it's close proximity to where HE & BW lived? Why weren't camera locations documented from the beginning? Why weren't SM's cell pings brought up, if they were even investigated at all, especially the navigation prior to HE's disappearance that maybe could show places scouted out? Since BW was allowed to be questioned about the 2 guys HE slept with in Dec, why weren't their full names provided and why weren't they brought into the court? I don't understand how someone's name can be given yet they're not in court. The whole business of DHjr & DH was so sketchy it's not even funny - and the judge allowed it even by not allowing it! Why? Bri specifically said HE spotted even though KT tried to get her to say HE had a full blown period, she didn't even come close to saying that but said she bled yet don't forget she also said HE didn't use tampons or whatever and she (BW) would have noticed bc she's the one that cleaned the bathroom - she actually corrected him by saying HE spotted. How could it be suggested anyone else got her pregnant? I'm thinking KT wasn't trying not show someone else could have impregnated HE but rather was trying to show she slept around. With that kind of thought in the jury's minds it could help to take away the motive from SM (and TM in the future). The jurors saw some of the text messages. They specifically saw text messages that were most likely between TM and HE that show HE didn't even care. It was blatantly obvious and I'll wager it didn't sit well with some of those jurors. One of the biggest mistakes I think the prosecution made was not showing HE to be a misguided headstrong young lady that may have had a few issues but was unequivocally in love with SM. By not "sticking up" for her, and at least showing a more human craving love type of side to her, imo they failed her.

Even though it's been suggested there's enough to go through with a civil trial, I'd be very surprised if either one of TM & SM were found guilty bc anything and everything could be used from either side. SM & TM past history, social media, phone pings calls texts browsing history etc can be used...but so can HE's against the case in return. The Defense would be able to present history on everyone HE had contact with, including her father, and that could be devastating imo. HE's social media alone will turn heads of most jurors. Even though she was young it won't be an excuse that they'd need to consider as facts are facts. That would indeed become evidence to them imvho.

FYI, my son heard part of the trial while I was watching it. He thinks it's ridiculous that I'd spend a day watching a trial about someone I didn't even know. Heck he's probably got a point lol! Well his reaction - and he's a very educated young man mind you - his reaction was to say well she shouldn't have been involved with a married man and sounds like she got around how are they so sure this guy is responsible... He's completely impartial, never heard anything about this case, doesn't follow this "junk" he calls it, says he doesn't have time for this crap and if he were on the jury they'd have to show alot more for him to vote guilty. Idk, makes me wonder if that jury had the same mentality.

I'm curious of the jury's background, relationship status, if cheating or affairs were ever in their lives, and even more curious about domestic violence. I'm also interested in how close of a friend the one juror is with SM's attorney.

All of this post I agree with!

The BBM: it drove me nuts the NL kept saying Heather was excited about life! So, we are supposed to believe that Heather went from sobbing to Bri to excited about life in a couple hours. No, I believe she wanted to believe and consider life with SM but I am doubtful ,with the history of problems with TM, that Heather was excited that night. More likely she was, tormented and confused. I don't believe a married man with 3 kids leaving his (psycho) wife for you is something to be excited about at any age. JMO

Went to bed thinking there would be no verdict yet, fudgesticks at a mistrial! Have to catch up on what went down now.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I just saw a post on twitter saying that the Judge went to school with SM's father. I had heard family friend, but not this... Not sure if it is true, but it would not surprise me.

All of this post I agree with!

The BBM: it drove me nuts the NL kept saying Heather was excited about life! So, we are supposed to believe that Heather went from sobbing to Bri to excited about life in a couple hours. No, I believe she wanted to believe and consider life with SM but I am doubtful ,with the history of problems with TM, that Heather was excited that night. More likely she was, tormented and confused. I don't believe a married man with 3 kids leaving his (psycho) wife for you is something to be excited about at any age. JMO

I think she was probably excited that she had gotten a new job doing something that she was somewhat passionate about. Maybe she was excited about hanging out with SS the next day. I do think that after the call from Sidney, she was confused and tormented.

someone needs to turn in the picture of the Judge shaking the hand of SM, it needs to be reported to the State AG's office/State Bar, he needs to be removed. Did he shake either of the attorney (solicitor--what a misleading word anyway, like presser! ) I digress.
Judge's can be removed from the bench for misconduct/inappropriateness, he has at least four trial errors in this case that are MOO.
1. Allownig KT's friend to be on the jury
2. Being a friend of SM's father-- TY TTF14
3. Shaking the hand of the defendant
4. Not requesting and hearing Motions on the violation of the gag order in place for this matter.

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/discCounsel/howtofile.cfm

Why don't you do it??

Heather wasn't suicidal and she didn't commit suicide. And she disappeared without a trace, with her car (her only mode of transportation) abandoned at a dark, desolate boat ramp, windows rolled up, doors locked, her DL in the car.

This was not a young woman who threw herself into a body of water.

She had a new job that she was excited about getting, she had just moved in with her BFF, she enjoyed her date with a new suitor, she was learning to drive a stick shift and felt proud about that. Yes, she was excited about those things. Is life perfect? Is life always B&W? No. You can be happy about certain things happening in your life and conflicted/emotional about other things. She was starting to pull some things together and by all accounts, those were good things. Doesn't mean her feelings instantly switched off about SM. Remember, she really liked that guy, she was attracted to him and she thought he felt similarly. Her feelings for SM were not 'over,' but she had been moving on because she had no choice and that's how it unfolded once TM found out. How is that not understandable?

someone needs to turn in the picture of the Judge shaking the hand of SM, it needs to be reported to the State AG's office/State Bar, he needs to be removed. Did he shake either of the attorney (solicitor--what a misleading word anyway, like presser! ) I digress.
Judge's can be removed from the bench for misconduct/inappropriateness, he has at least four trial errors in this case that are MOO.
1. Allownig KT's friend to be on the jury
2. Being a friend of SM's father-- TY TTF14
3. Shaking the hand of the defendant
4. Not requesting and hearing Motions on the violation of the gag order in place for this matter.

http://www.judicial.state.sc.us/discCounsel/howtofile.cfm

Agree. The judge is a idiot.

We usually see these idiot judges once they hit a certain age and allow stupid stuff.

Now imo. The judges on a circumstancial case are usually more privileged to information that they never want released.

But they leave the jurors half naked on most information while forcing them to make a decision in circumstantial cases such as these. Jmo.

So why can't the judge simply over rule and determine things during a 10-2 hung jury.

Btw. 10 hrs of deliberation is not a hung jury. Jmo

I would at least give it 2 weeks or so.

You have a jury spend 1000 hrs on a case. But only give them 10 hrs to come to a conclusion. Jmo. B s.

I think she was probably excited that she had gotten a new job doing something that she was somewhat passionate about. Maybe she was excited about hanging out with SS the next day. I do think that after the call from Sidney, she was confused and tormented.

That's exactly what Bri testified to. It's in evidence! Did people not watch or just ignore Bri's testimony?

I took it that Bri was saying she never saw tampons when she and Heather were in the appt from beginning of November.
I could be wrong here, but I didnt think she said 'yes, she got her period'. I heard 'she told me she bled a little' and I gathered that this was taken from one of the phone calls Heather and Bri had on the week Heather was kidnapped and Bri was out of State. I felt Bri was hesitant to answer THAT question as she hadn't witnessed it in person and wasn't 100% sure Heather had had her full period. I dunno. Hope to be corrected if wrong.
For convenience the specific time is at the 6:30 mark on link that last for approx 30 seconds
[video=youtube;r4uB5Y3rFQM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4uB5Y3rFQM[/video]

Is it normal to pick a jury as fast as they did? I know it is not normal to only deliberate 9 hours. Even the judge told the jury that. SMH

While in theory, I don't think a relationship like that necessarily equals bias, I said, essentially, when this was reported that I think even the appearance of a conflict of interest or prejudice is a bad thing for a trial because in a case like what happened today, the parties on the other side and the public cannot help but ask if that's why. I also think that leaving it up to the juror to decide if a conflict exists or whether or not he or she can be impartial is not a proper method of selection. Maybe the person can be impartial, but jury selection is not supposed to be left to the public or prospective jurors or we'd all be choosing our buddies to hear cases.

I also think judges shaking hands with defendants is beyond stupid.

I've watched every video possible of the final in the court room today - and searched for a photo of this - even had someone send me a link (didn't find it there either - just someone referencing it)....

I've watched every video possible of the final in the court room today - and searched for a photo of this - even had someone send me a link (didn't find it there either - just someone referencing it)....
It was yesterday.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. What will happen if TM is convicted while SM is running loose?

Do we know if the 2 hold outs were the women? I don't know how he does it but SM seems to have a knack for getting sympathy from some women. Even around here, there are some that feel TM made him do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. What will happen if TM is convicted while SM is running loose?

Do we know if the 2 hold outs were the women? I don't know how he does it but SM seems to have a knack for getting sympathy from some women. Even around here, there are some that feel TM made him do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was stated that TM cannot be tried until SM's trial for kidnapping is completely over.

I am still SMH as to why anyone would think separating them for trial was a good idea.

Okay. Imo. If her family took matters into their own hands while keeping it discreet.

Then hey.

I have no problems.

Because it's obvious that the judge is a idiot and Heathers case mean absolutely nothing to them. Jmo.

Case closed after 2 days of deliberation. Plus you gave the jury 50 pages of guidelines yesterday that most couldn't comprehend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member