Found Deceased MN - Austin Retterath, 19, UofM student, Minneapolis, 8 May 2022

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Authorities say a University of Minnesota student is missing, and they are concerned for his safety.

According to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, 19-year-old Austin Ray Retterath was last seen Sunday morning near East River Road and Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis.

Retterath is described as 6-foot-2 and 160 pounds with blonde hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a blue T-shirt, dark shorts and white shoes.

The university’s police department is searching for Retterath. Anyone with information about him is asked to call 612-624-2677.

5T2ECEBHFZEE3OSDRVNWJPJYEE.PNG

I wonder why was Austin reported missing rather quickly?

Last edited:
Retterath's Instagram account lists him as being in the U's Class of 2025. In the fall of 2021, he was among the students who made the dean's list in the College of Science and Engineering.

Login • Instagram (set to private)

The cases near water actually make sense to me, as I have heard of people coming very close to falling into water, but the cases where students go missing while driving home are baffling. Car accidents or a broken-down vehicle are sometimes involved though.

I hold out hope for the best outcome - a kid who couldn't take college anymore and is just laying low somewhere trying to figure out how to admit it but will soon, or something similar.
If someone is out there going through that, please know it's really okay. Go home safely, rest, rest some more, and start fresh. There are many other paths in life that you can take besides University.

The cases near water actually make sense to me, as I have heard of people coming very close to falling into water, but the cases where students go missing while driving home are baffling. Car accidents or a broken-down vehicle are sometimes involved though.

I hold out hope for the best outcome - a kid who couldn't take college anymore and is just laying low somewhere trying to figure out how to admit it but will soon, or something similar.
If someone is out there going through that, please know it's really okay. Go home safely, rest, rest some more, and start fresh. There are many other paths in life that you can take besides University.
Amen!!!

And what also saddens me is how many young men have been found deceased in the water after leaving a bar, is how many are automatically written off as tragic accidents and I do not believe they ‘all’ are. IIRC, Chris Jenkins’ family had to fight to have his death ultimately ruled a homicide. I might be wrong. IMO

I really don't think Austin could have accidentally fallen in the river. The East River Parkway is a popular walking area. There's a path and and a pretty wide swath of grassy area between the path and the river. The area before the river is thick with trees and if you get past them there's a gradual incline down to the river. It would be impossible to fall into the river accidentally if walking along the path of the parkway.

There is a bridge near where he was last seen that crosses over to the west side of the river. It has a walking / biking path on it, but it has a stone railing along the entire length.

Agh.
I'm still not used to this new format.
Anyway, in response to this:
I wonder why was Austin reported missing rather quickly?
His family seems close so I think they were concerned right away when they weren't able to get in touch with him or he didn't show up when expected. If you are wondering why the media reporting seems so urgent it might be because of the Chris Jenkins case a while back.

Do we know if this was an area that Austin would frequent? Wondering if he was familiar with the River Parkway or it would be uncharacteristic for him. I haven't seen any LE or MSM updates on searches, etc. since his initial disappearance.
He went to the U of M and was a science and engineering major. East River Parkway goes right past the campus and you see students walking along there ALL the time. I don't know if he had an apartment nearby, but my guess is he did because he wouldn't be going to or from class on a Sunday morning. We've finally been getting decent weather this past week and it felt like everyone was outside over the weekend.

His parents live in Woodbury which is a southern suburb, and a ways away from campus... This is why I'm guessing he has an apartment near campus, possibly even lives on campus.

I hope he is alright and left the area of the river.

I think most of the time when someone enters a river, they went close to it purposely. Perhaps to touch it and cool off, perhaps just to be near it, etc. And then accidentally slip in.

He went to the U of M and was a science and engineering major. East River Parkway goes right past the campus and you see students walking along there ALL the time. I don't know if he had an apartment nearby, but my guess is he did because he wouldn't be going to or from class on a Sunday morning. We've finally been getting decent weather this past week and it felt like everyone was outside over the weekend.

His parents live in Woodbury which is a southern suburb, and a ways away from campus... This is why I'm guessing he has an apartment near campus, possibly even lives on campus.

Thank you.

Austin was wearing shorts and a Tshirt which is indicative of warm weather but not always, of course. I wonder if it was his friends that reported him as missing. Perhaps they were with him at the last location he was seen then he didn't show up for plans they made for later in the day. Hence, they reported him as a MP.

"According to the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, 19-year-old Austin Ray Retterath was last seen Sunday morning near East River Road and Franklin Avenue in Minneapolis."

Was he headed for the Franklin Avenue Bridge over the Mighty Mississippi River?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carmenbellaxx
Back