MN MN - Brandon Swanson, 19, Marshall, 14 May 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What about wildlife? It sounds like he was in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A few months back I posted my research and maps. I will go back and find the page # for the benefit of those who haven't read through the entire thread (it has certainly grown!). I think I got his location and route figured out to the best of my ability.

After time has passed I am still leaning toward the theory that he was walking on someone's land and was killed by the land owner. This could explain LE caginess and the reluctance of that one land owner to authorize a search.

Glad to see there is still much discussion about this case. I don't know why I got so attached to this case, but I'm with IBSleuthin...I am ready to drive to MN and start looking! I am hopeful to hear that the search may resume this spring.

Found the prior post with maps: it's on page 21 of the thread, near the middle of the page.

I keep going back to the fact that Brandon and his parents were getting so frustrated trying to navigate and communicate with each other. With that in mind while I scoured Google maps, I discovered how similar the road names and geography are around Lynd and around Taunton.

The thing that still gets me is that the call cut out once he started crossing the field of what he described was an abandoned farm. How would he know that it was an abandoned farm unless there was at least one dilapidated outbuilding there? When I looked at the maps, followed that possible route that takes him north/northeast of Taunton, and zoomed in to street level, I saw a rundown barn. This gave me chills. My instincts hummed.

I've attached a screen shot of what I saw. It still gives me chills. This is from Google maps, and the image was captured 09/2014 (during harvest season as opposed to when the crops would be just sprouting or short in May). To the right you see the barn. To the left in the distance you can make out what either looks to be a row of trees or the tops of buildings in Taunton. My guess is they are trees, but that is the direction where he could see the lights of Taunton, if this is in fact where Brandon ended up.

Link to street view image that you can explore:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.612...iS2LwIpBHCuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Who owns this land? Have LE searched there? Has the barn been searched? Have they even gone in this direction?

For better or worse, I've become stuck on this field being the location where Brandon gave his exclamation and the phone call with dad ended. Possibly where his life ended. My detailed reasoning is in the post on page 21.

attachment.php

Attachments

• barn on 120th.jpg
    barn on 120th.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 219
I have contacted the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension with this information and a link to this forum. Will keep you posted if anything comes from it. I don't want to over involve myself in this case or anything like that. For whatever reason I cannot explain, this case grabbed hold of me and hasn't let go. Like all of us, I want to help the family of the missing find peace and closure knowing what happened to their loved one. I may be way off base, but that is for the people and authorities there locally to determine. I would feel terrible if this was somehow on track and led to Brandon's discovery but didn't pass the information along.

I have contacted the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension with this information and a link to this forum. Will keep you posted if anything comes from it. I don't want to over involve myself in this case or anything like that. For whatever reason I cannot explain, this case grabbed hold of me and hasn't let go. Like all of us, I want to help the family of the missing find peace and closure knowing what happened to their loved one. I may be way off base, but that is for the people and authorities there locally to determine. I would feel terrible if this was somehow on track and led to Brandon's discovery but didn't pass the information along.

Amazing work, reintarnation, you seem to be quite good with this kind of thing. And your information is very compelling. I have to admit I have a hard time with directions, roads, and as far as my own internal compass, it's not very good, LOL. But in spite of all that, your posts make sense to me. And thank you for contacting the MBCA, that is no doubt the right thing to do.

I might have some questions for you when I get a chance. Not sure if I'm up to it tonight, but soon. And again thank you very much for your contribution to Brandon's case.

This is very intriguing. I didn't know this case was on here until a friend told me. I've forgotten about it. I'm from Canby MN right by taunton and remember his incident barely. I graduated in 2005 and I believe I heard something along the lines of the party being at the college in Canby. I'm currently trying to contact old friends there to try and get details on this story. I'm also quite familiar with the area so I'm going to try and help as much as I possibly can!

Uah

Amazing work, reintarnation, you seem to be quite good with this kind of thing. And your information is very compelling. I have to admit I have a hard time with directions, roads, and as far as my own internal compass, it's not very good, LOL. But in spite of all that, your posts make sense to me. And thank you for contacting the MBCA, that is no doubt the right thing to do.

I might have some questions for you when I get a chance. Not sure if I'm up to it tonight, but soon. And again thank you very much for your contribution to Brandon's case.
Thanks, neesaki! That means a lot. I don't know why this case sticks with me the way it does, but I feel driven to do whatever I can. Been awhile since I really got into the details, but am happy to answer any questions or discuss what I've found. The more brains and eyes on this, the better!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

This is very intriguing. I didn't know this case was on here until a friend told me. I've forgotten about it. I'm from Canby MN right by taunton and remember his incident barely. I graduated in 2005 and I believe I heard something along the lines of the party being at the college in Canby. I'm currently trying to contact old friends there to try and get details on this story. I'm also quite familiar with the area so I'm going to try and help as much as I possibly can!

Uah
Please share if you come across anything!

Don't put yourself in danger or upset the family in any way, but if it is at all possible it would be very enlightening if you could drive to the key locations, like where his car was found, especially under similar conditions to the night he went missing (May, nighttime, etc.). Sitting in that location, which town's lights do you see? Where would you go on foot? How easy is it to hear the river on the dirt roads in the area? What is the area and the people like? I would be particularly interested to see if the path I referenced is feasible. Any information gleaned can help clarify the details we have.

We haven't had much insight on this forum about who Brandon was, who he called before his parents, whose party he was at and what he was like there, what the area is really like, what's been going on locally related to this case, etc., So your added insights could be very valuable! I know I'm asking a lot, but appreciate anything at all you are able to share!

Please share if you come across anything!

Don't put yourself in danger or upset the family in any way, but if it is at all possible it would be very enlightening if you could drive to the key locations, like where his car was found, especially under similar conditions to the night he went missing (May, nighttime, etc.). Sitting in that location, which town's lights do you see? Where would you go on foot? How easy is it to hear the river on the dirt roads in the area? What is the area and the people like? I would be particularly interested to see if the path I referenced is feasible. Any information gleaned can help clarify the details we have.

We haven't had much insight on this forum about who Brandon was, who he called before his parents, whose party he was at and what he was like there, what the area is really like, what's been going on locally related to this case, etc., So your added insights could be very valuable! I know I'm asking a lot, but appreciate anything at all you are able to share!
Of course I would never do that. I have much respect for any family involved in a tragic situation such as this, especially wen it's close to my hometown. I now live in a different location but am 2 and a half hours away. I'm currently searching for more info. because I have several good sources. At this point, here say may not find a perp or get a conviction, but it may shed light on his whereabouts or maybe point us in the right direction. If I step on any toes or hurt any feelings, please stop me because that is not my intention at all. I'd just like to help.

On that note, it wouldn't hurt to look up the 2008 roster of the Minnesota West Community and Technical college students. I know the auto mechanic crew liked to party and if he was there, it was mostly likely with them.

Uah

Of course I would never do that. I have much respect for any family involved in a tragic situation such as this, especially wen it's close to my hometown. I now live in a different location but am 2 and a half hours away. I'm currently searching for more info. because I have several good sources. At this point, here say may not find a perp or get a conviction, but it may shed light on his whereabouts or maybe point us in the right direction. If I step on any toes or hurt any feelings, please stop me because that is not my intention at all. I'd just like to help.

On that note, it wouldn't hurt to look up the 2008 roster of the Minnesota West Community and Technical college students. I know the auto mechanic crew liked to party and if he was there, it was mostly likely with them.

Uah
This is so helpful! I'm energized by the idea that our community has someone 'on the inside.' I only shared words of caution because I don't want my quest for answers to put you in harm's way. [emoji4]

It's so good to see there's some renewed interest in Brandon's case. Someone out there must know something, even if it was before whatever happened. Possibly some clue. I've always wondered if he was followed, tracked down by someone. Could that have been part of the reason he took the backroads? Could there have been some kind of conflict between him and someone at the party before he left? Or did he take the backroads simply because he was a little inebriated? Is it possible he could have run into someone just by chance, as in some sort of predator? Could he have had a stalker? Just some thoughts and speculations.

my theory is relatively the same but more along the lines of someone being in his presence that he was aware of. they wer most likely with him and had pre meditated thoughts of some sort. im also glad that this case was brought to light.

Found the prior post with maps: it's on page 21 of the thread, near the middle of the page.

I keep going back to the fact that Brandon and his parents were getting so frustrated trying to navigate and communicate with each other. With that in mind while I scoured Google maps, I discovered how similar the road names and geography are around Lynd and around Taunton.

The thing that still gets me is that the call cut out once he started crossing the field of what he described was an abandoned farm. How would he know that it was an abandoned farm unless there was at least one dilapidated outbuilding there? When I looked at the maps, followed that possible route that takes him north/northeast of Taunton, and zoomed in to street level, I saw a rundown barn. This gave me chills. My instincts hummed.

I've attached a screen shot of what I saw. It still gives me chills. This is from Google maps, and the image was captured 09/2014 (during harvest season as opposed to when the crops would be just sprouting or short in May). To the right you see the barn. To the left in the distance you can make out what either looks to be a row of trees or the tops of buildings in Taunton. My guess is they are trees, but that is the direction where he could see the lights of Taunton, if this is in fact where Brandon ended up.

Link to street view image that you can explore:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.612...iS2LwIpBHCuA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

Who owns this land? Have LE searched there? Has the barn been searched? Have they even gone in this direction?

For better or worse, I've become stuck on this field being the location where Brandon gave his exclamation and the phone call with dad ended. Possibly where his life ended. My detailed reasoning is in the post on page 21.

attachment.php

BTW, I get chills too when I see this pic, I had forgotten until now that I wasn't far from here a few years ago, about 78 miles away. My grandparents and great uncle grew up and lived not far from this area. We were only there for a visit not long before my great uncle died. I remember being surprised how beautiful it is, in a different way than where I'm from. The countryside so green, the farmlands, so earthy with the tilled fields and rows of crops. It was so refreshing, it was as though I came from there, and belonged there. I didn't want to leave.
Anyway, thank you for this pic, it does help put into perspective the possible area that Brandon could have disappeared. I'll probably dream about it tonight, lol.

It's so good to see there's some renewed interest in Brandon's case. Someone out there must know something, even if it was before whatever happened. Possibly some clue. I've always wondered if he was followed, tracked down by someone. Could that have been part of the reason he took the backroads? Could there have been some kind of conflict between him and someone at the party before he left? Or did he take the backroads simply because he was a little inebriated? Is it possible he could have run into someone just by chance, as in some sort of predator? Could he have had a stalker? Just some thoughts and speculations.
Those are great points! I had always assumed that he took the back roads because he had been drinking underage. IIRC, police did interview at least one person at the party who reluctantly admitted that Brandon was drinking, but he or she played down how much. I'm not saying he was wasted or even too drunk to drive. However, I remember drinking in college before I was 21 - I didn't want to be in a car at all, let alone drive one, for fear that a cop would bust me.

It is possible that someone was with Brandon or that he had someone trailing him. If this is the case, I would expect that he would have mentioned as much to his parents. To my knowledge he never mentioned having someone with him, and his parents describe him as sounding confident and frustrated when he called,not afraid. Unless of course he was not aware of a stalker, but then what is the stalker's motive? And why did he or she let Brandon walk down miles of isolated dirt roads before striking?

Only using what we know, I lean towards him coming across a violent land owner or possibly a drug operation or something to that effect. With more information, perhaps a different conclusion could be reached. I sometimes get the sense that there is a lot more to this than we think.

my theory is relatively the same but more along the lines of someone being in his presence that he was aware of. they wer most likely with him and had pre meditated thoughts of some sort. im also glad that this case was brought to light.

Very interesting, I've had suspicions for a while now that the FBI suspects foul play, thus the listing of Brandon's case under VICAP, the FBIs criminal apprehension program.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/missing-persons/brandon-victor-swanson

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/missing-persons

I am from a small town about an hour away from Marshall. I graduated back in 2004 and it was very popular for kids my age to go "jagging". This was what they called drinking and then driving around on the back roads so as to avoid police detection. I don't know much about the case though.

Based on what I know, he'd had a bit to drink (and I believe was underage) so he took the grid roads rather than the straight shot as a precaution not to interact with the police. It only took one wrong turn down similar looking roads in the dark to get where he was and believe that he was somewhere else.

Came across his story again today always wonder what happened to him.

Is there any google earth images of the place he went missing. i wanted to have a look.I was also wondering how he wouldnt have mentioned a river to his dad during the 45 minute call, but then read something saying he did mention water?
/

I believe there are some maps and images in an earlier post. There was a small creek in the area where he went missing. They searched it multiple times. It wasn't a river. This case has stuck with me. I lived in Minnesota for eight years and had friends who lived in this general area.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back