GUILTY MN - Byron Smith charged with murder after shooting 2 teens

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I decided to lookup the 'possible' criminal backgrounds of these two's parents. Kifer's doesn't appear to have anything, but Nick Brady's father... his rap sheet is quite long. So at least for nick, life at home was kinda chaotic. Looks like nick and or siblings were in/out of foster care as well. Civil part of that site. Not trying to make excuses for his behavior.

I went to addresses.com and typed kifer and little falls in to get her info, and then nicks info into this site which normally doesn't have info on those who have died but it was there so I took the city and typed it into the address site.

I decided to lookup the 'possible' criminal backgrounds of these two's parents. Kifer's doesn't appear to have anything, but Nick Brady's father... his rap sheet is quite long. So at least for nick, life at home was kinda chaotic. Looks like nick and or siblings were in/out of foster care as well. Civil part of that site. Not trying to make excuses for his behavior.

Yeah, odd how offspring of sociopaths are often twisted. IMO it is both NATURE and nurture. They were both related.

Perhaps the most passionate exchange of the trial occurred when neighbor John Lange’s 16-year-old was called to testify.

The Langes live a couple houses down from Byron Smith. In fact, we learned Smith moved in with the family after the deadly home invasion.

The defense called the younger Lange to speak to Smith’s honesty, when prosecutor Pete Orput tried to ask him if Smith was feared in the neighborhood. Smith’s attorney strongly objected, even demanding a mistrial. The boy’s father was enraged.

“Very out of line,” Lange said. “You don’t treat people like that.”

Drama aside, the jury is now ready for closing arguments, with Smith’s fate hanging in the balance

Read more: Defense rests, Byron Smith doesn't testify in Little Falls murde - KMSP-TV http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/stor...fy-in-little-falls-murder-trial#ixzz30D3tgzxD

The defense called the younger Lange to speak to Smith’s honesty, when prosecutor Pete Orput tried to ask him if Smith was feared in the neighborhood. Smith’s attorney strongly objected, even demanding a mistrial. The boy’s father was enraged.

“Very out of line,” Lange said. “You don’t treat people like that.”

I don't understand this? What drama? Why were they asking that question? Why was he enraged?

I don't understand this? What drama? Why were they asking that question? Why was he enraged?

Perhaps because unless the DA could call witnesses that SAID they were afraid it was out of line.

Think about it, without good cause the DA can't just start saying things like "Did he seem to have an unhealthy interest in children?" or "Did you ever see him with drug paraphenalia?"

Just asking the QUESTION puts the suggestion into the jurors heads even if there is no truth to it.

The DA was trying to open the door to tell the other side of neighborhood testimony. There are other neighbors of Smith that had complained to police way before the shootings that they were frightened that he may shoot somebody as he would shoot his gun outside where somebody could get hit. He also shot neighbors' pets that went in his yard. Smith said in his recorded police interview that he had thought that Haile Kifer was his neighbor's daughter. He was waiting for her parents to come over next. Those would be the neighbors who complained about him to police. All of that stuff came out a long time ago at the beginning of the case.

The DA was trying to open the door to tell the other side of neighborhood testimony. There are other neighbors of Smith that had complained to police way before the shootings that they were frightened that he may shoot somebody as he would shoot his gun outside where somebody could get hit. He also shot neighbors' pets that went in his yard. Smith said in his recorded police interview that he had thought that Haile Kifer was his neighbor's daughter. He was waiting for her parents to come over next. Those would be the neighbors who complained about him to police. All of that stuff came out a long time ago at the beginning of the case.

I wonder why the DA didn't bring witnesses on that would testify to those things? Or, maybe he did, and I just didn't see it reported. Thanks for the info. :seeya:

http://brainerddispatch.com/news/20...l-closing-arguments-smith-trial-start-tuesday

Anderson told jurors that Smith is charged with two counts of second-degree murder and indicted with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Nick Brady and Haile Kifer.

The jury will return a verdict of guilty or not guilty on all four counts.

Anderson explained that returning a guilty verdict in the first-degree indictments would require the jury to conclude that evidence showed Smith’s actions were pre-meditated — meaning Smith “considered, planned, prepared for or determined to commit murder before committing.”

Anderson told the jurors it is not necessary for pre-meditation to exist for any specific amount of time just that decision to murder was not rash.

A guilty verdict of second-degree murder still requires the jury to conclude that intentionally causing death, but without premeditation.

Jurors were also given instruction on how to interpret Minnesota law regarding self-defense and defense of dwelling. According to Minnesota law, it is not a crime for a person to take the life of another if the circumstances surrounding a death expose the person to death or great bodily harm, there is reasonable threat and the decision to defend is something a reasonable person to have made in light of the present danger.

According to Minnesota law a crime is not committed when a death occurs when action is taken by a person to prevent the commission of a felony in his own home.

It is alleged that Nick Brady and Haile Kifer were intending to commit a burglary in Smith’s home.

In both self-defense and defense of dwelling laws, a person has no obligation to retreat in their own home.

From the above article:

Anderson informed the jury of the laws applied in the case and that once deliberation begins Tuesday, jurors will be sequestered until a final verdict is reached.

I may be in the minority on this thread, but I'm glad for this verdict.

He cold-bloodedly killed those kids. It wasn't self defense. He laid in wait to kill them... said it all, with that "finishing shot" statement

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back