GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, who had avoided discussing his hoped-for outcome, said after the verdict that he was pleased with it.

“Today’s verdict is an important step forward for justice in Minnesota. The trial is over, but our work has only begun,” Walz said in a statement, adding: “No verdict can bring George back, and my heart is with his family as they continue to grieve his loss. Minnesota mourns with you, and we promise the pursuit of justice for George does not end today.”

The Minneapolis police union said they “want to reach out to the community and still express our deep remorse for their pain, as we feel it every day as well.”

“We need the political pandering to stop and the race baiting of elected officials to stop,” a statement from the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis continued. “… In addition, we need to stop the divisive comments and we all need to do better to create a Minneapolis we all love.”
George Floyd’s family, community reacts to guilty verdicts: ‘Painfully earned justice’ – Sterling Journal-Advocate

FWIW - The Superintendent of our school district (Minnesota) sent out an email after the verdict was announced.

It stated they understand students may experience strong emotions regarding the verdict. They appreciate and acknowledge the rights the students have in advocating for what they believe in and they encouraged parents/guardians to talk with students about how they may be feeling about the verdict and the importance of expressing themselves appropriately. They also provided local resources for these conversations.
WoW again!

No, you're not. I agree with you. You are not alone.

Me too. I think they got it wrong but for the right reasons. I find it hard to believe they were not influenced by the intense climate. I think the state also won the jury instruction portion which allowed way more latitude than the raw reading of the law. After I saw the instructions it was over in my mind even though I thought it should have been manslaughter. It's the best decision for the country though.

I also hope it causes power tripping cops to cool their heals because I've encountered way too many in my life. Better recruiting, better screening, better education requirements and more in depth psychological analysis will help choose better cops. Unfortunately the job isn't attractive right now so it might be hard.

I CAN NOT believe thePresident of the United States has made the comments he did yesterday and today. Totally inappropriate and in violation of the Constitution. Not to mention it adds even more fodder to the arguments for an overturn on an appeal.

How were his comments in violation of the constitution?

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, who had avoided discussing his hoped-for outcome, said after the verdict that he was pleased with it.

“Today’s verdict is an important step forward for justice in Minnesota. The trial is over, but our work has only begun,” Walz said in a statement, adding: “No verdict can bring George back, and my heart is with his family as they continue to grieve his loss. Minnesota mourns with you, and we promise the pursuit of justice for George does not end today.”

The Minneapolis police union said they “want to reach out to the community and still express our deep remorse for their pain, as we feel it every day as well.”

“We need the political pandering to stop and the race baiting of elected officials to stop,” a statement from the Police Officers Federation of Minneapolis continued. “… In addition, we need to stop the divisive comments and we all need to do better to create a Minneapolis we all love.”
George Floyd’s family, community reacts to guilty verdicts: ‘Painfully earned justice’ – Sterling Journal-Advocate

I agree that the political pandering needs to stop. However, it does not help when organizations such as the MPPOA are sharing Facebook posts from a state political party, IMO:
Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association

I support justice, fairness, and law and order, but I get very discouraged when law enforcement in the USA, seem to take a "political" narrative on these issues. All MOO.

Edited to fix typos.

Am I the only one who thinks they got it wrong?
I think under the circumstances, they got it right.

If you're asking if he got a fair trial? No way IMO. Then again, I never expected him to.

Do I think Chauvin killed Floyd? Yes. Beyond a reasonable doubt? No.

I'm still not convinced that health issues/drugs didn't kill Floyd, however, Floyd was in Chauvin's custody, therefore Chauvin was responsible for his safety, and I don't believe for a second that Floyd's safety was Chauvin's priority.

I also think it was a cheap shot the prosecution took when they showed the jury that one still photo of Chauvin's foot in the air, and those photos of Floyd 's fingers against the ground and the tire. He wasn't pushing to get his breath. Nelson proved that.

In what legal experts called a rarity for the criminal justice system, George Floyd played a major role in the trial of the man prosecutors allege killed him. Jurors saw and heard Floyd up close, in multiple videos, begging for his life up until his final breath.

Dr. Ziv Cohen, a clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at Cornell University, said that the videos the panel saw of Floyd's final moments were "powerful" evidence for the prosecution.

"That video is the star of this trial. It's the star witness of this trial. It's the biggest piece of evidence in this trial," Cohen told ABC News prior to the verdict being announced.

In bystander video taken from just feet away from Floyd and the officers who were on top of him during the May 25, 2020, arrest, and in even closer police body camera videos, jurors heard Floyd not just begging for his life but talking about his deceased mother, children and predicting his own demise.

"They gonna kill me. They gonna kill me, man," Floyd is heard saying in the now-famous video taken by a then-17-year-old high school student, Darnella Frazier.
George Floyd's voice haunted Derek Chauvin murder trial

As DC was convicted on all three counts, I am hoping he gets back-to-back sentencing. Hoping he sits in jail for a long, long time.

I believe the sentences normally run concurrent, so he'll probably only be in for the length of the longest. They are trying to get an upward departure, though. Usually the highest gets about 12.5 years, but an upward departure will make it more.

So, it does sound like he was affected by the guilty verdicts. It is unfortunate that he seems so cold. I would love to hear from him someday but today is a day to honor Mr. Floyd and his family.

IMO he will never admit to what he did..
I see him hitching his star on an appeal or overturned verdict a la Maxine Waters statement.
MOO

As DC was convicted on all three counts, I am hoping he gets back-to-back sentencing. Hoping he sits in jail for a long, long time.
I'm less confident of that happening.
I think it was absolutely VITAL that he had his bail revoked immediately.
He's off the streets now and the streets are safer because of it.

That is Keith Ellison, Attorney General of MN, the lead of the team of prosecutors. He is talking about the other officers. He is not Mr. Floyd's legal representative but rather the state.

(Thank you very much for that clarification, kaen, I dbm’d.)

Thank goodness justice prevailed today. George Floyd did not deserve to be extrajudicially murdered in the street. Period.

I hope DC gets the maximum sentence possible for his crimes.

Hopefully this is the beginning of the police being held fully accountable for any unlawful misconduct they engage in. It's long overdue.

I hope that George Floyd's family can find some small measure of comfort and relief today at this verdict.

Law enforcement officers need to be held to a higher standard of conduct. Just like those in the military already are. When given the authority to use potentially lethal force they should, and must, act responsibly, ethically and within the law. When they don't, they should, and must face legal consequences.

Otherwise the social contract - all that holds society together - has been broken. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member