GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is this happening? In the Minneapolis area?

I can't find any news on this . . .
Yes it was outside the courthouse. I saw a link for it but I’m not sure if it’s approved for WS

Why was his blood oxygen level normal? Was it normal through the whole incident? If so I would agree with Nelson that GF had a cardiac arrhythmia that caused a lack of oxygen to his brain. JMO

OK, so I asked my nephew who is a cardiologist and will copy and paste his answer...

"Blood oxygen saturations change relatively quickly. Once you intubate and ventilate someone hypoxia corrects rapidly (assuming the issue isn't a severe lung problem like really bad pneumonia for example), so once EMS would have gotten there and intubated him the blood O2 sats would have corrected very quickly.

But that doesn't mean the heart would start again. Depends in very large part how long he'd been down without CPR and without ventilation."

Last edited:
Personally I'm not sure bringing in the National Guard was the best thing to do.It just seems to add fuel to the whole situation.
The National Guard was certainly needed in my city last summer when businesses were being vandalized, burned and looted. Blood was shed. They were never called. The rioters had a free for all.

The National Guard was certainly needed in my city last summer when businesses were being vandalized, burned and looted. Blood was shed. They were never called. The rioters had a free for all.
While I certainly don't agree with rioting, the rioters didn't all get away with it. Also, numerous vandals were white people who wanted to discredit BLM.
George Floyd protests in Minneapolis–Saint Paul
Arrested
604 demonstrators by June 2, 2020

MOO
Chauvin's leadership failed him too. They got him out of scrapes instead of disciplining him or letting the natural consequences of his actions get him fired. It was obvious for a long time he was too aggressive and reactive for police work.

Figures I'd be sleeping when the verdict was read....

Thanks for the links to the reading!! :)

Now - I need dates! :D
EXPLAINER: What next after Chauvin's conviction on 3 counts?
https://www.mncourts.gov/mncourtsgo...s/27-CR-20-12646/NoticebyAttorney08282020.pdf
I can't believe you missed it after all the backbreaking work you put in.
i couldn't sleep last night, so got up, convinced it wouldn't come for at least a month...........................
It was sweet, more than that, it was affirming.
Now I will sleep cos empty.

I figured out the Judge's words on "when" sentencing will happen - I came up with around June 15, 2021....
Strong state basis for the upward departure, I notice.
They're taking no prisoners and that is a great thing.
They mean business and are being seen to mean business.
They put amazing resources into that prosecution.
Nobody can ever deny that.
Respect to them!
Good real night/ morning/ whatever.
Thanks Niner.

We can teach good policing

One of the best examples of how police department culture can change — not overnight, but over time — can be found in the New Orleans Police Department.

In 2014 a new police superintendent, Michael S. Harrison, was brought in to change the culture of the department. He started by introducing a new training program ....

The program, known as Ethical Policing is Courageous (EPIC), focuses on changing the norms that undergirded the culture of loyalty and silence .... to one of protecting them by preventing unethical behavior from occurring.

EPIC teaches officers how to become active bystanders who intervene if they see fellow officers engaging in bad behavior, whether it’s lying on a report, planting evidence, or kneeling on someone’s neck.

If you can teach someone to put on a bulletproof vest and you can teach them how to round a corner, you can teach someone to more effectively intervene”

Most importantly, the EPIC program teaches officers that loyalty does not mean joining in on — or ignoring — bad behavior. It means trying to prevent it.

“It’s hard to resist an outspoken co-worker who is intent on doing the right thing.”

Derek Chauvin guilty, now reform police, don't abolish it

Convicting a police officer is rare.

Juries are hesitant to second-guess split-second decisions. The killing of George Floyd was unique.

... the decision for the police chief and other officers to cross the blue line and speak out against Chauvin’s behavior was nothing short of historic.

... police officers were seen taking a knee and joining protesters. It was truly a watershed moment where a large part of the community said enough.

The guilty verdict validated Floyd as a human being who deserved to be treated with dignity regardless of his past flaws or mistakes.

Nation needed guilty verdict in Chauvin case. But laws still need to change

Strong state basis for the upward departure, I notice.
They're taking no prisoners and that is a great thing.
They mean business and are being seen to mean business.
They put amazing resources into that prosecution.
Nobody can ever deny that.
Respect to them!
Good real night/ morning/ whatever.
Thanks Niner.
Totally agree and I really don't think the State has gotten the credit due them. I thought it was a very cautious, conscientious presentation. I didn't agree with every decision they made but I appreciated their effort to thwart the defense hypotheticals before they were made. They built a solid case brick by brick and left little to chance.

Their best decision, imo, was front loading character evidence about Mr. Floyd so they could shape the narrative initially. And holy cannoli, they got convictions on all 3 charges!

On the flip side, I know a lot of people believe Eric Nelson did as good a job as he could but I disagree. Perhaps adequate but not good. Mr. Nelson, imo, never presented any defense. His sole strategy was to create doubt - it's the only time I can think of off the top of my head an entire defense rested on (usually irrelevant) hypotheticals. It was a tough case made tougher by a less than sympathetic client but I still believe there was a better alternative than Mr. Nelson's hypothetical 'anything, everything but the knee' blueprint. All JMO

Cahill asked the attorneys to file written arguments regarding aggravated sentencing factors that could add time to Chauvin's sentence for restraining Floyd on the pavement.

If Cahill accepts the prosecution's contention that aggravating factors should be applied at sentencing, the maximum term the 45-year-old Chauvin could receive would be 30 years. The first 20 years would be served in prison and the balance on supervised release if he qualifies.

The state is already on the record that among the factors are: Floyd was especially vulnerable, Chauvin was a uniformed police officer acting in a position of authority, and his acts were witnessed by children, one of them 9 years old.

Derek Chauvin cuffed after murder, manslaughter convictions in death of George Floyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member