MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having to pay back money for accepting a fake bill doesn't sit well with me. Is that even legal? (sorry if this is OT) And having the employee go outside to confront the suspect?? I've been a retail and restaurant manager for decades and would never have my associates do any of that.

It seems like a really bad idea to send a young kid outside to confront someone who just passed a fake bill. You have no idea whether the situation could escalate. If things did escalate and the clerk gets injured, I'd think the manager would be liable.

Last edited:
So... am I hearing this correctly? The passenger was the one with the fake bills? He tried to pass one beforehand and they denied it?

Yes, and the video this am had two instances for me to believe that he was *potentially/just opinion etc* the one with them and he was giving to GF.

In one of the surveillance videos this am...it is shown he was walking into store and passing, what appeared to be, paper bills to GF. And in the one hour body cam, when LE approached him on the sidewalk at the car, his passenger guy (red pants/white tshirt) got out of the car, took off his cap, and appeared paper bills fell on the sidewalk. This was never followed up at the time, or in the media as far as I know.

MOOOOO from watching videos/court/etc.

I am bumping this timeline up as just now have screen shot to verify what I thought. The ambulance just now shown in court shows that the ambulance arrived at 8:28:05 pm... I'm getting the post updated for the timeline now. UPDATE IN RED below. I do hope someone on the jury is doing a timeline as many times, jurors are not allowed to review, and may not be done in closing.

20:02:13 Call place from cashier to 911 call taker ID CT031779. Says counterfeit bill/blue mercedez/plz run plate/describes GF/says he appears under influence. This info goes to screen in police car.
...........getting back up requests... including park police
20:04:02 - Officers on site and asking to run plate
20:11:02 - Officers have removed him from patrol car
20:20:11 - Call in for EMS Code 2 non emergent for mouth injury
20:21:35 - 330 (LE folks) call for code 3 (get here quick)
20:27:21 - Information for EMS, PD has him restrained on ground
20:28:05 ***FROM TESTIMONY DAY 3 AMBULANCE ARRIVES AT THE SCENE-SCREENSHOT FROM COURT FEED
View attachment 290757

20:28:36 - Paramedic rig code 3 asking for fire - The EMS folks entered this information. (per her testimony, they are asking for additional support)
20:31:12 Per engine 412 firerig response, EMS is at Park and 36th as they have left the scene.
20:32:02 EMS would like the fire department for Pt condition at their new location. (per her testimony, this was because she didn't know what was going on so she asked her other agencies via METCOM radio.. she got info on radio and put into system)
20:34:10 - EMS paramedics reporting into system saying he is in full arrest
20:34:30 - EMS is saying working full arrest
20: She added fire dept is in route to park and 36th
20:36:07 Fire dispatch saying engine 17 fire is 2 minutes out to park and 36th
20:48:23 EMS says they are headed to hospital - (e.d. they had stopped resuscitation efforts
20:55:06 LE put directly into car computer they are headed to HCMC ... status of the AP

While I realize that it won't come into trial.. so strange that 911 wasn't called immediately when GF's friend, who had passed a suspected counterfeit bill walked back in the store and he was recognized. Did they call 911 on that guy? Or just eat the one that is being testified as being passed earlier that day.

We'll perhaps never know. MOO There is so much we will never know that the stars aligned and more were involved in this counterfeit. MOO.. assuming that they were, no testimony yet.... but I'm keeping an eye out for WS'ers to put in perspective as we are no on the jury nor in court iykwim.

I think that was the manager. I'm pretty sure the owner was not there, and said if he was, he would have handled things differently. That's what he told the media, anyway. He also said that was not store procedure.

If it isn't store procedure then why would the manager instruct the staff accepting a counterfeit bill meant they'd be out of pocket? Could be a great scam, you pocket the money and the store owner is out the cash for a fake.

Since you are keeping track of times.. watching this witness since they came back from break and when they were showing the video from the other store when the employees were approaching GF's vehicle, the timestamps confused me, was it wrong on the video? It was showing it was 20:23... so 8:23.
Sorry, I didn't start watching until after the juror break and want to watch live before I go back to earlier testimony ;)

Some videos show military time (e.g. timestamps for LE 911 calls are in 24:00:00 so they don't do am/pm. )Video surveillance was us layfolks stuff....

NOTE: For later, the surveillance on some were off 20 minutes iirc e.g. the speedway... they synced up in testimony... I captured testimony corrections MOO

Example.... 20:23 military time (as it's called by many) = 8:23 pm.

Since I was doing screen shot AND timeline, there were both. On timeline, since timelines started with LE testimony, I kept at such for my ongoing compilation in militarty to decrease confusion for the timeline later. MOO HTH

HTH

While I realize that it won't come into trial.. so strange that 911 wasn't called immediately when GF's friend, who had passed a suspected counterfeit bill walked back in the store and he was recognized. Did they call 911 on that guy? Or just eat the one that is being testified as being passed earlier that day.

We'll perhaps never know. MOO There is so much we will never know that the stars aligned and more were involved in this counterfeit. MOO.. assuming that they were, no testimony yet.... but I'm keeping an eye out for WS'ers to put in perspective as we are no on the jury nor in court iykwim.

They didn’t call 911 on that guy because he recognized the counterfeit bill right away and didn’t accept it.

I think that is why the witness, Martin, is saying that if he hadn’t taken the bill this could have been avoided. He recognized immediately that it was fake. He thought he would just put it on his tab but then had second thoughts about that.

I hope Martin is getting the support he needs because what happened isn’t his fault in any way. MOO

Live Updates: Clerk who took fake bill describes "disbelief and guilt" over George Floyd's death

Martin described taking a counterfeit $20 bill from Floyd despite knowing it was a fake, as prosecutors played surveillance video from inside the store which hasn't previously been seen. Martin said he took the bill because he recognized Floyd's friend as the same person who tried to pass him another counterfeit bill earlier in the day. He believed the bill Floyd passed him may have been the same one, and that Floyd may not have known it was a fake.

(snip)

"If I would have just not taken the bill, this could have been avoided," Martin testified.

There's a good Samaritan law that suggests those capable of providing aid to someone in distress could safely provide aid without worrying about legal ramifications after the fact. When the law was introduced I doubt someone thought of a scenario where LE were the ones not only resisting the application of aid but were the originators of the medical emergency.

I did a deep dive here and posted such on previous thread. There is such as to if LE places you in situation, they are responsible. (Most applicable here) Remind me if you want those links later tonight.. am behind on feed and rl issues right now.

If it isn't store procedure then why would the manager instruct the staff accepting a counterfeit bill meant they'd be out of pocket? Could be a great scam, you pocket the money and the store owner is out the cash for a fake.
Yeah, that just doesn't sound right. I doubt it's even legal to make employees pay. For a manager to make those kids go out and "deal" with the situation themselves was just wrong. I thought that's what managers were there for.

IIRC, they are eating lunch in the courthouse?
38th and Chicago is now a tourist attraction but as for any business down there really doing serious business...not really...South Minneapolis has had a crime wave for over a year now...this just fueled up the racial tensions with the police and hard to get a 911 call answered now from that area. Many shootings down in the area. It has not been a safe hood for some time but really got worse now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82