GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's fine I just hope he's sentenced the same as others who faced comparable charges and doesn't get over sentenced because of the climate. That would be another terrible precedent in this case. If you compare his conviction with similar ones and he shouldn't serve that much time. I think some of the data would surprise a lot of people.

Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) - About the Bureau of Justice Statistics

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/tssp16.pdf

As a point of reference, in Minnesota the maximum sentence for vehicular homicide while DUI is 10 years! Doesn't seem enough to me

https://www.madd.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Vehicular-Homicide.pdf

How could you not be impacted by the massive publicity and intense scrutiny of this case? This trial should have been moved and I hope the murder charges get tossed but not because I'm sympathetic to Chauvin. The assault element of his conviction doesn't correlate with the law as it's written. Minnesota might as well just rewrite the law if it stands. The repercussions could be wide reaching from police recruiting to criminal conduct and everything lawyers and criminals can think of in between. I'm surprised at how the state was able to have the jury instruction turn intent (and all its iterations) into a word salad when it's such a subjective term.
Whatever the sentence, he most likely won't serve more than ten years, imo)

Last edited:
At least 23.2 million Americans watched on television this week as former Minneapolis police Officer Derek Chauvin was convicted of murder and manslaughter in the death of George Floyd.

The Nielsen company’s estimate came from viewership figures on 11 different networks that carried Tuesday’s verdict live. The actual audience was likely higher, however, since Nielsen’s count did not include ESPN, which also carried the verdict.

Nielsen: At Least 23.2 Million Watched Verdict In Derek Chauvin Trial

Not long after a jury convicted former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin of killing George Floyd, police chiefs across the U.S. started speaking up. And it wasn't to defend the police.

New Orleans Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said convicting Chauvin on Tuesday showed “police officers are not above the law."

Charmaine McGuffey, the sheriff in Cincinnati, said it was a “necessary step” in healing a nation torn apart by police violence.

Miami Police Chief Art Acevedo encouraged Americans to breathe “a collective sigh of relief.”

“The work of doing justice for George Floyd doesn’t end today," San Francisco Police Chief William Scott said.

Darin Balaam, the sheriff in Washoe County, Nevada, said, “It is past time we hold law enforcement officers who tarnish our profession and oath accountable for deplorable actions.”

Police chiefs across nation hail Chauvin verdict as key to progress

Cup Foods sent KARE 11 a statement during the trial, saying;

"It is NOT Cup Foods protocol to send employees outside. It was because we had a good enough relationship with him (George Floyd) and we felt like he didn't know it was counterfeit. Also, we ONLY tell employees they have to pay for counterfeit bills if they don't check them as a 'deterrent' we've never made an employee pay for a counterfeit bill."

Juror in Derek Chauvin trial speaks out after guilty verdict | kare11.com

"It is NOT Cup Foods protocol to send employees outside. It was because we had a good enough relationship with him (George Floyd) and we felt like he didn't know it was counterfeit. Also, we ONLY tell employees they have to pay for counterfeit bills if they don't check them as a 'deterrent' we've never made an employee pay for a counterfeit bill."

And yet the manager felt the need to make the 911 call after sending out a couple of kids but didn't go out to GF himself. Sounds like a good enough relationship! JMO

The alternate juror's trial notes are interesting to read. There are 18 photos of her trial notes in this article.
They give a little insight into the main points of what at least one juror was hearing during the trial.

Among her notes about defense witnesses, there is a note about testimony by Peter Chang (park police). It says "He thought the crowd was very aggressive toward the officers" and she has written in red next to her own note "Really?"

After her notes about testimony by Dr David Fowler she has written "Not believable".

Last edited:
@LouRaguse

I just had a fascinating sit-down interview with one of the alternate jurors in the Derek Chauvin trial.

Photos: Juror notes from the Derek Chauvin trial:

Photos: Juror notes from the Derek Chauvin trial | kare11.com

On the first page she noted Donald Williams t-shirt.
I know she was an alternate but could this be grounds for appeal...

Alternate juror wrote: I thought I could see letters underneath his shirt on a T shirt, but wasn’t sure possible Black lives matter.

MOO

Not long after a jury convicted former Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin of killing George Floyd, police chiefs across the U.S. started speaking up. And it wasn't to defend the police.

New Orleans Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said convicting Chauvin on Tuesday showed “police officers are not above the law."

Charmaine McGuffey, the sheriff in Cincinnati, said it was a “necessary step” in healing a nation torn apart by police violence.

Miami Police Chief Art Acevedo encouraged Americans to breathe “a collective sigh of relief.”

“The work of doing justice for George Floyd doesn’t end today," San Francisco Police Chief William Scott said.

Darin Balaam, the sheriff in Washoe County, Nevada, said, “It is past time we hold law enforcement officers who tarnish our profession and oath accountable for deplorable actions.”

Police chiefs across nation hail Chauvin verdict as key to progress

I think they know that with some of the bad actors in their midst they have to speak. Further, if they continue to cover for bad actors, it makes it very hard to find support when an officer makes a mistake. Those who do wrong and are unchecked, like this murderer, create huge issues for community trust and strong police unions. I want my LE relatives to have the full support of their department in their job (and, if heaven forbid, they make a mistake) but bad cops make it so that they are all seen as bad actors. IT has to change. It is about time that leadership and unions commit to making sure that they weed out the bad actors.

Yes I know.
He used to sell the shirt on his website but he shut it down before the trial.
View attachment 294050
Okay I admit I was/am eager to know what was in the jurors minds....BUT I think the alternate juror is now making a full time occupation of interviews and full on media campaign. Now we are seeing her "notes". Come on...at least 10 different MSM interviews floating around ....sort of too much...too soon. I think more are coming out too so so much for any concerns for the sentencing phase or other trials. Anyone else thinking this is too much.

Okay I admit I was/am eager to know what was in the jurors minds....BUT I think the alternate juror is now making a full time occupation of interviews and full on media campaign. Now we are seeing her "notes". Come on...at least 10 different MSM interviews floating around ....sort of too much...too soon. I think more are coming out too so so much for any concerns for the sentencing phase or other trials. Anyone else thinking this is too much.

she really is putting herself out there.
I was a little surprised to see her on the Today show.

I did.
One was okay. Stop then.
Luckily I'm geoblocked from most of the sites.
Crazy, just crazy.
She only heard what we did here, no more, no less.

The cynic in me wonders how much of a financial incentive has been offered. Perhaps she will have the first book rather than Morrice!
no cynicism required...this gal is making MONEY BIG MONEY and depending who else talks she could write a book (ie someone else write...she dictates). I am now finding her too much and hope the others don't go this route. Somehow it seems so soon and opportunistic.

Yes exactly ...she was not privy to the actual deliberations and frankly was speaking out about the sick juror (stress she said) and another one with potential covid exposure. Those other jurors have a right to privacy and most do not want things shared. She and Morries seem to have promoters selling their interviews.
Well, that explains why she was a potential and not a real juror.
That's just awful.
Sickening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads