GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Federal trial for three other ex-officers charged in George Floyd's killing set for August

May 14, 2021
(CNN) -- The federal trial for former Minneapolis police officers Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng, and Thomas Lane, accused of civil rights violations in the death of George Floyd, is scheduled for August 2, a judge said Friday.

The three men -- who were helping former officer Derek Chauvin, who pressed his knee into Floyd's neck, eventually killing him -- will be arraigned on July 14 where they will be asked to plead to the charges.
[.....]
Chauvin will be tried separately. No federal court date has been announced for him yet.

Thao, Kueng and Lane appeared in federal court last Friday via video conference, and all three were released on $25,000 unsecured bonds, meaning they didn't have to post any collateral.

The federal trial will happen months before the three men's state trial. It was postponed until March 7 so that the federal trial can take place first, Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill announced Thursday, according to a pool reporter in court.

Federal trial for three other ex-officers charged in George Floyd's killing set for August

May 14, 2021
(CNN) -- The federal trial for former Minneapolis police officers Tou Thao, J. Alexander Kueng, and Thomas Lane, accused of civil rights violations in the death of George Floyd, is scheduled for August 2, a judge said Friday.

The three men -- who were helping former officer Derek Chauvin, who pressed his knee into Floyd's neck, eventually killing him -- will be arraigned on July 14 where they will be asked to plead to the charges.
[.....]
Chauvin will be tried separately. No federal court date has been announced for him yet.

Thao, Kueng and Lane appeared in federal court last Friday via video conference, and all three were released on $25,000 unsecured bonds, meaning they didn't have to post any collateral.

The federal trial will happen months before the three men's state trial. It was postponed until March 7 so that the federal trial can take place first, Hennepin County Judge Peter Cahill announced Thursday, according to a pool reporter in court.
Wow. I do have some empathy for Lane but I think even he is going to have a hard time defending this.

Wow. I do have some empathy for Lane but I think even he is going to have a hard time defending this.

Perhaps how the difference will come into play will be how the jury perceives each officer's participation and efforts.

I don't think I expected the charges to be different, but the jury's perception might be (or might not be).

It is going to be a quite different scenario for these 3 officers, with the federal trial happening prior to their trial in Minneapolis.
Will the federal trial be under heavy (media) suppression due to the timing? Is that something that is achievable in the US?

Perhaps how the difference will come into play will be how the jury perceives each officer's participation and efforts.

I don't think I expected the charges to be different, but the jury's perception might be (or might not be).

It is going to be a quite different scenario for these 3 officers, with the federal trial happening prior to their trial in Minneapolis.
Will the federal trial be under heavy (media) suppression due to the timing? Is that something that is achievable in the US?

As to media, the big difference is no live streaming or media tweeting from the Federal Courts.

Appeals court hears case of former officers charged in Floyd death

May 20, 2021
Attorneys for the state and for three former Minneapolis police officers charged in the death of George Floyd made oral arguments Thursday before the Minnesota Court of Appeals.

At the center of Thursday's hearing was whether Thomas Lane, J Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao could soon face an additional aiding and abetting third-degree murder charge.
[.....]
In his argument Thursday, attorney Neal Katyal argued that the Court of Appeals must allow issues to properly ventilate in lower courts in order to get those courts' views and argued that arguments made by attorney Deborah Ellis, representing the respondents in this case, must first be decided by the district court.
[.....]
Defense attorneys argue that third-degree murder is an unintentional act and relies on a defendant's reckless state of mind, but aiding and abetting must be intentional. On Thursday, Ellis reiterated this statement, arguing that although an accomplice could act recklessly, it takes more to aid someone with a depraved mind. Ellis argued that in this case, the principal person and accessories must have acted with the same mindset.
[.....]
The three-judge panel now has 90 days to make a decision following Thursday's hearing.

Found this in the Minnesota court site. Was trying to find these 3 in the "regular" court site, not the one I have linked as it doesn't give next court dates. And look what I found for Lane in bold below.

LANE, THOMAS KIERMAN
03/08/1983
10/24/2001
Ramsey Criminal/Traffic/Petty Suburban
Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
(TCIS Amended Charge) OBSTRUCT LEGAL PROCESS (Not applicable - GOC)
Convicted
CRIM DAM PROP4 (Not applicable - GOC)
Convicted
UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed
OBSTRUCT LEGAL PROCESS (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed
DISORDERLY CONDUCT (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed
DISOBEY ORDER OF POLICE (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed

link: http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/Search.aspx?ID=100&RefineSearch=1

Found this in the Minnesota court site. Was trying to find these 3 in the "regular" court site, not the one I have linked as it doesn't give next court dates. And look what I found for Lane in bold below.

LANE, THOMAS KIERMAN
03/08/1983
10/24/2001
Ramsey Criminal/Traffic/Petty Suburban
Misdemeanor
Converted Closed
(TCIS Amended Charge) OBSTRUCT LEGAL PROCESS (Not applicable - GOC)
Convicted
CRIM DAM PROP4 (Not applicable - GOC)
Convicted
UNLAWFUL ASSEMBLY (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed
OBSTRUCT LEGAL PROCESS (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed
DISORDERLY CONDUCT (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed
DISOBEY ORDER OF POLICE (Not applicable - GOC)
Dismissed

link: http://pa.courts.state.mn.us/Search.aspx?ID=100&RefineSearch=1
So that was 20 years ago when he was 18 years old?

"Coerced" to include neck compressions? It's more likely the ME examiner was questioned as to why he didn't include it initially and if he had analyzed the video evidence clearly showing the neck and back compression lasting more than nine minutes!

No shiot. At this point, I'm surprised the defense hasn't tried claiming the video was fake, photoshopped, everyone who testified lied and GF is really alive and in hiding to frame the police.

We all saw what happened. Why aren't these three officers trying to cut a deal?

George Floyd death: Prosecutors want new charge against 3 ex-officers in case (nbcnews.com)

Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao are scheduled to face trial next March on charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder and manslaughter.

MINNEAPOLIS — Attorneys for the state and for three former Minneapolis police officers charged in George Floyd’s death appeared before the Minnesota Court of Appeals on Thursday as prosecutors sought to add an additional charge to the case.

Thomas Lane, J. Kueng and Tou Thao are scheduled to face trial next March on charges of aiding and abetting second-degree murder and manslaughter. Prosecutors want to add an additional count of aiding and abetting third-degree murder — a charge that defense attorneys say is legally impossible.

The three-judge panel has 90 days to rule. Based on an appeals court decision in February and a related ruling in the case of former officer Derek Chauvin, which found the February ruling was binding, prosecutors are asking the appellate court to send the case back to the lower court to add the charge...

That was behind a wall that wanted my FB info... this one has same title and no such requirement to read.

The article makes me think of the "leak" with the Grand Jury being seated for the Vallow/Daybell case on HLN show. (No one else has said such other than this organization which MM is on)

Judge investigates leak of grand jury proceedings into George Floyd's death

U.S. District Judge Patrick Schiltz ordered the U.S. attorney's office and the Minnesota attorney general to provide a list of every person to whom they disclosed grand jury activity.

He also ordered the U.S. Attorney's office to explain why he shouldn't appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate and file criminal contempt of court charges for the disclosures. Schiltz wants the responses filed under seal no later than June 4.

At issue are stories published by the Star Tribune and the New York Times detailing the possibility of federal charges against the former police officers for Floyd's murder. On April 29, the Star Tribune published a story with the headline, "Feds plan to indict Chauvin, three other ex-officers on civil rights charges." On Feb. 23, the New York Times published a story about the grand jury with the headline, "With New Grand Jury, Justice Department Revives Investigation Into Death of George Floyd." The New York Times story came out just days before the beginning of jury selection in the state trial of Derek Chauvin

Last edited:
He witnessed George Floyd's murder. Here's what he hopes people understand. (nbcnews.com)

"I don't think most of America understands," Donald Williams II said of the trauma he still experiences. "They kind of see it and hear it, but I don't think they fully understand."

When Donald Williams II, a professional mixed martial arts fighter, took the witness stand in Derek Chauvin's murder trial in Minneapolis in March, it had been at least two years since his last fight.

But Williams, a prosecution witness who had watched helplessly as George Floyd died under Chauvin's knee last May, relied on his fighter instincts.

Williams had mentally prepared himself to enter a different kind of ring — a courtroom. That was evident in his calm responses to contentious questions from Chauvin's attorney, Eric Nelson, who tried to portray Williams and other onlookers who had shouted at Chauvin to get his knee off of Floyd's neck as an angry mob...

Can someone clarify for me please.

As to the state vs. federal charges for the other three... when are the Federal and State court cases scheduled for .. if anyone has easily at their fingertips.

TIA

ETA: Found above

May 14, 2021

[.....]

Last edited:
During a commemorative Tuesday morning event for the one-year anniversary of George Floyd's murder, onlookers said they heard numerous shots fired. Police said one person arrived at a local hospital with a gunshot wound.

It happened in the area of George Floyd Square, the intersection of 38th and Chicago in Minneapolis where George Floyd was killed by former MPD officer Derek Chauvin.

During the incident, several media crews were taking live video of the commemorative event at George Floyd Square. The sounds of the gunshots can be heard in some of their recordings, including one from NBC News.

Shots fired during event at George Floyd Square; one person injured | kare11.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams