GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it is the role of the family - parents, siblings. I doubt any collegues will speak.
Why would DC's family make a victim impact statement? He is not the victim.

Good question. He is at risk and is being kept out of the general population so I would be surprised if they move him because the prison he is in, Oak Park Heights, is the state’s only maximum-security facility, housing 349 inmates.
I don't see why they would move him if his custody level doesn't change. Oak Park Heights is a Level 5, the highest Level.

Derek Chauvin taken to maximum-security prison after conviction

https://mn.gov/doc/facilities/oak-park-heights/administrative-control-unit/

He is on Administrative Segregation status for his safety, DOC spokeswoman Sarah Fitzgerald said Wednesday, and is in the Administrative Control Unit (ACU). The ACU is the state’s most secure unit. Administrative segregation is used when someone’s presence in the general population is a safety concern,”

MCF-Oak Park Heights has a restricted housing unit that is operated at the highest level of security – the Administrative Control Unit (ACU). The majority of inmates housed here are maximum and close custody, as some of the inmates need a higher level of security,”

offender%20in%20cell_tcm1089-434522.jpg
Doors%20for%20ACU%20cell%20showing%20both%20doors_tcm1089-434523.JPG

ACU%20cell%20inside_tcm1089-434520.JPG
ACU%20cell%20inside%202_tcm1089-434518.JPG

So now Chauvin will be hanging out with all the lowest life individuals. The pedos, child killers, and such.

I don't even know why he is out of jail right now? The guy cannot keep his mouth shut.
To what end? If the verdict is overturned there would be another trial. Another trial means ramped up security again, businesses boarding up, tensions rising, and for what? He'll just be found guilty again.

With the video evidence they have, there's no way any 12 random people from anywhere would find him not guilty. They may find 1 or 2 if they're lucky, but they'll never find 12. Never.
I can't imagine that any higher court is interested in hearing this case but really know little of how they operate.

Which seemed disingenuous to me because he had to suspect it was strategic to make Chauvin look like David to the State’s Goliath. As Schleicher pointed out the police union was paying for Chauvin’s defense and as has been reported there are lawyers helping Nelson behind the scenes.

Secondly, I feel like the judge has been highly annoyed about public officials speaking about the case and has taken that out on the state. His tone with Nelson is noticeably solicitous.
Oh yeah.....Judge made his anger at public officials very clear during on the record discussion with lawyers when jury was out of courtroom and it often trickled over to prosecution team.

Why would DC's family make a victim impact statement? He is not the victim.
Well I thought the defendant also has the right to statements about him/her. Sorry Forgive my ignorance - When I followed the Golden State Killer trial the defence read the family letters about Deangelo. But maybe I misunderstood sth

Mitigation and aggravation factors.

Is that allowed? For Chauvin to have anyone speak on his behalf about the impact on them wrt mitigation and aggravation factors.

It seems that could be seen as a 'defense' of Chauvin's actions, if they are trying to combat mitigation and aggravation factors. And the trial is over.

ETA: I just saw Weki's post #130 ... I guess it does happen.

They have a right to and often do asking for leniency! And addressing mitigating circumstances. In some cases it’s usually ‘oh he had a bad childhood etc’
We don't know much about DC's early days, except he was considered a bad-a$$ cop. It would be interesting to hear someone say something nice.
But the judge commented on it. Not really his place IMO.
He commented on it in a ruling, on the record, jury not present. It is his place.

Minneapolis Mayor Says He Welcomes Justice Department Policing Investigation
How are you thinking about helping your city heal?

Our city has gone through a barrage of trauma over this last year, in many respects culminating in the trial and the verdict that we just saw yesterday. This is a moment perhaps centuries in the making — a centuries in the making reckoning around racial justice. And also, I want to note that we don't want to shortchange that moment in a way that we limit the conversations to simply aspects of policing. The conversation needs to be about economic inclusion. It needs to be about rights in housing. We need to be making clear moves towards racial equity in every shape and form, towards justice and to healing. And that can't simply focus on policy reforms and policing itself. Of course, that's part of it. But we need to go well beyond.

We would need to know Minnesota law - this is entirely within the state's jurisdiction. One of the aggravating factors which Chauvin's attorneys agreed could be decided by the judge is the fact that the two knew each other prior and there was bad blood between them (as I understand it). That's one major aggravating factor right there.

"But there are aggravating factors (one of which is that he was a sworn officer and another is that he didn't like the man he killed and others knew that)"

Why do you think the sentence will be symbolic? Minnesota's sentencing guidelines say 12.5 years (which makes sense, rather than having such closely related charges run consecutively). But there are aggravating factors (one of which is that he was a sworn officer and another is that he didn't like the man he killed and others knew that). For it to be a "symbolic" sentence, it would need to be well under half the recommendation (say 2 years - that might even keep him inside of a lower security prison). If he only serves part of that, he'd be out in about 18 months. I guess I won't be shocked by anything, in this case, but boy does that seem to be a bogus way to hand out justice.

I am wondering if the federal charges will come next. I can't recall the status of those, only that he wasn't allowed to plead out to lesser charges.

If you are right, then he's likely to spend 7-8 years in prison, which must look like a long time from where he's sitting right now.

I've never seen or heard what you said and I'm quoting here. Can you give a link please. I listed the five aggravating factors and I have never seen anything that chauvin's attorneys agreed

"One of the aggravating factors which Chauvin's attorneys agreed could be decided by the judge is the fact that the two knew each other prior and there was bad blood between them (as I understand it). That's one major aggravating factor right there."

He has
So, will he be locked up in solitary until he gets out?
I saw a disturbinng post on FB yesterday, are people trying to get him out?
He has some serious supporters...I was looking at another chat during the trial and it was so offensive...almost 100% for him and very racist. I had to leave quickly. It was supposed to be a legal chat and a number of years ago on some other trials was good but not for this trial.

Is that allowed? For Chauvin to have anyone speak on his behalf about the impact on them wrt mitigation and aggravation factors.

It seems that could be seen as a 'defense' of Chauvin's actions, if they are trying to combat mitigation and aggravation factors. And the trial is over.

ETA: I just saw Weki's post #130 ... I guess it does happen.
Yes, just before sentencing.

We don't know much about DC's early days, except he was considered a bad-a$$ cop. It would be interesting to hear someone say something nice.

He commented on it in a ruling, on the record, jury not present. It is his place.
Can you tell why it is his place? What has that to with the trial?

Which seemed disingenuous to me because he had to suspect it was strategic to make Chauvin look like David to the State’s Goliath. As Schleicher pointed out the police union was paying for Chauvin’s defense and as has been reported there are lawyers helping Nelson behind the scenes.

Secondly, I feel like the judge has been highly annoyed about public officials speaking about the case and has taken that out on the state. His tone with Nelson is noticeably solicitous.
Judge Cahill also was annoyed about the lateness of emails being sent to Mr Nelson if I recall correctly 5000 pages received around 5pm the night before on one occasion. It seemed a bit off at the time, can't remember now if the jury were present when it was discussed but I assume not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member