GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the major sticking points has been qualified immunity, an issue that Scott, the only Black Republican in the Senate, said he was working to resolve with Bass; Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J.; and other Democrats.

"There is a way to put more of the onus or the burden on the department, or on the employer, than on the employee. I think that is a logical step forward and one that as I've spoken with Karen Bass over the last several weeks is something that the Democrats are quite receptive to," Scott said.

He said other outstanding issues include how the legislation would deal with chokeholds and no-knock warrants.

"George Floyd was murdered almost a year ago," Biden said. "There's meaningful police reform legislation in his name ... legislation to tackle systemic misconduct in police departments, to restore trust between law enforcement and the people that are entrusted to serve and protect. But it shouldn't take a whole year to get this done."
Live Updates: Trial Over George Floyd's Killing

What's Next In The Cases Of 4 Former Police Officers Over George Floyd's Murder | WFUV

The Blue Wall of Silence completely shattered during trial. Multiple police officers, including the police chief, testified that they believed what Chauvin did was improper and unauthorized. Lt. Johnny Mercil said, “We didn’t train this. This is not who we are.”

Schleicher’s strategy at closing was clear: to paint Chauvin as a rogue police officer to convince the jury to deny Chauvin the benefit of the doubt typically given to police officers on trial for use of excessive force. At the end of his closing, Schleicher drove his point home strongly: “This wasn’t policing,” he said. “This was murder.”

The strategy succeeded. Undoubtedly, the jury saw Chauvin, not as a police officer engaged in his official duties, but as a malicious individual who committed a terrible, unspeakable act.

The jury saw Chauvin’s actions through the eyes of George Floyd and the helpless bystanders who watched him being brutally tortured for an interminably long nine minutes. The jury empathized with the witnesses who emotionally broke down on the stand. They empathized with Charles MacMillan, a 61-year-old bystander, who sobbed uncontrollably as he expressed his sorrow that he could not save Floyd’s life.
Chauvin’s Murder of Floyd Was a Crime Against Humanity | Washington Monthly

Im wondering about the August trial with 3 ex officers. Can you imagine the trial with 3 defendants, 3 defence lawyers all arguing with prosecution and accusing one another and D CH? Prosecution will have to prove the murder once again - there will be another Jury. Again multitude of witnesses and the possibility of victim blaming all over again. I am really curious and of course I will be following the trial once again with you dear Websleuths!

As people continue to digest the guilty verdict of Derek Chauvin in the murder of George Floyd, Dr. Phillipe Copeland, Assistant Director of Narrative at the Boston University Center for Antiracist Research and Asst. Professor at the BU School of Social Work, says he has mixed emotions.

After the verdict was read yesterday, Dr. Copeland says, "I felt a deep, abiding sadness, not only for the senseless loss of George Floyd's life but the way of life of the officer who murdered him (Derek Chauvin.) There were no winners in this situation.

"This officer was not born this way, right? And so we need to ask ourselves what happened and did not happen along the way that would lead to him being more likely to commit such a horrific act of violence against another human being."
Expert: We Can't Wait to “Build Moral Muscles”. Talking to Your Kids Following George Floyd Murder Verdict

@KenDilanianNBC

Justice Department officials say Attorney General Merrick Garland will announce that DOJ is launching a pattern-and-practice investigation of the Minneapolis Police Department, per
@PeteWilliamsNBC

Justice Department to probe whether Minneapolis police have 'pattern and practice' of misconduct

This is a significant step forward. It would be even better if an independent, special investigations body was set in place to investigate all accusations of police misconduct. Maybe that recommendation will come from the Justice Department. We can hope for such independence and transparency.

I just rewatched the verdict for the first time. I noticed when Judge Cahill was asking the individual jurors about the verdict, there were a few VERY emphatic yeses in there.

It's such a sad and solemn thing to have to stand alone and voice your finding of guilt. I'm sure that it would be difficult to speak at all. I pray for peace and healing for the jury.

I'm surprised we haven't read any comments from him.. but then again, maybe I shouldn't be... tmz posted this yesterday, and these are from people that got the wrong number.

Family Attorney Gets Threatened, Harassed, Mistaken for Chauvin's Lawyer

Dang, even if it were the right guy. He's doing his job, and he did a good job defending his client with what he had. Part of being an attorney is vowing to defend your client to the best of your ability. Even if you personally think they are garbage. Who knows, maybe Eric Nelson absolutely believes Chauvin is guilty? We will never know, because he kept that vow and defended Chauvin as best as he could.

Good morning turaj! I hope you are feeling a bit relieved today ;)

I have been looking to see if any jurors have talked yet... can't find anything! I did see a tweet from Cathy and another reporter from law and crime asking if any want to talk to get in touch... I'm sure other media outlets have done the same.
Hello...yes all is quiet...at least for now....I feel like a couple of jurors will talk...probably striking deals right now...stay tuned.

Dang, even if it were the right guy. He's doing his job, and he did a good job defending his client with what he had. Part of being an attorney is vowing to defend your client to the best of your ability. Even if you personally think they are garbage. Who knows, maybe Eric Nelson absolutely believes Chauvin is guilty? We will never know, because he kept that vow and defended Chauvin as best as he could.

Yes, I can only imagine the calls/emails, etc that he got. For a defense attorney, he was very likable. Hope he has some sort of protection/security JMO

I just can't imagine "AWESOME!" not talking lol And yes... I think it's just a matter of time... ;)
Yes I am thinking the same thing the young woman who was "excited" and thought it was "awesome" when she got on is probably talking to Chris Cuomo right now...I mean Morries Hall is launching his book deal on Cuomo.

Tucker Carlson is slanted but he's not alone. The mainstream media pander to the ideology of their viewers by omitting or emphasizing bits and pieces of details that fit their narrative. I find myself forced to scan multiple sources to get the complete picture including reports on this trial. A huge percentage of people should have viewed Chauvin as guilty but media based polls didn't show that.

I have expressed here, that perhaps due to my searches on "certain sites" due to looking into WS rabbit holes, that my "algorithms" are feeding me stuff. It really is shocking. It started happening back with COVID research last year MOO that social media algorithms are putting my searches into more and more and more of a focus.... which I DO NOT LIKE.

A couple of months ago, I banned myself from even watching some evening television shows with "talking heads".

I guess I'm with many of us here that wants the facts, and give me the resource to view etc.. but if on nightly tv... don't go into your opinion. I find much better to look for such (as we do with trials and statements and court submissions) which are NIGHT AND DAY moo from what many say on television. (Those that follow the Jan 6th thread know what I'm talking about... they say one thing in media.. In court they say "no reasonable person would believe")

Yes I am thinking the same thing the young woman who was "excited" and thought it was "awesome" when she got on is probably talking to Chris Cuomo right now...I mean Morries Hall is launching his book deal on Cuomo.

I can't say what I want to say about Hall... but I can say IMO, giving him a platform on any level is part of the problem.

Now that we await sentencing, did anyone else find it a bit odd that the whole club situation, where GF and DC both allegedly worked at one point at the same time, was not discussed more in the media? It came up early on but also disappeared pretty quickly.

I am really curious to see if it is brought up by the State towards sentencing and the "issues" DC allegedly had with GF over a paycheck. Or if they'll try to admit the times the club manager said DC area as very aggressive with minorities who came to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme