MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *officers charged* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jury Selection
3/11/21

Juror #31 - Dismissed

Juror #32 - Dismissed on 3/8

Juror #33 - Dismissed

Juror #34 - Dismissed

Juror #35 - Dismissed on 3/8

Juror #36 - Selected
Male, person of color and spoke with an accent, described himself as a family man, a sports fan, a route driver, and a true crime podcast junkie. Wrote in his questionnaire that GF was "desperately screaming" while DC was kneeling on his neck. Reported a "very negative" impression of DC. Says he's still willing to hear all the evidence. He had written on his questionnaire "If GF had complied, this wouldn't have happened”. Still, the juror said that he would be willing to hear all the evidence. Somewhat disagrees that the justice system is biased against minorities, adding that he thinks the media exaggerates such incidents.

Juror #37 - Dismissed

Juror #38 - Dismissed
Male, Moved to MN about 3 yrs ago. When he got his jury summons he said this is big and joked how did they find us again? Apparently, he had done some jury duty before the move. Describes himself as a stand-up guy.

Juror #39 - Dismissed
Male, hispanic, open person, previously a musician. After being asked several times Nelson asks one final time if he could be a fair juror. PJ said, “I could, even though it pains me to say it”.

Juror #40 - Dismissed
Male - School teacher, posted some emotional thoughts apparently about visiting the memorial and the need for prayer there. Nelson questioning him saying he can judge the case only on the evidence. He says it's a matter of recognizing the responsibility of being a juror. The juror called the location where GF died holy ground according to Nelson.

Juror #41 - Dismissed
Female, is unsure if she can be impartial in this case. Feels this case in unique, feels strongly on the evidence she has seen in the video and has strong opinions on the case. GF’s death has had a significant impact on her, as a result she now volunteers for certain organizations.

Friday, March 12th:
*Trial continues with Jury Selection (Day 4) (@ 9am CT) - MN – George Perry Floyd, Jr. (46) (May 25, 2020, Minneapolis, arrested for forgery & killed in police custody) - *Derek Michael Chauvin (44/will be 45 in 7 days) police officer who held his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes & 46 seconds (Note: on 10/14/20 this has been changed to 9 minutes & 30 seconds) (& non responsive for 2 minutes & 53 seconds before officer took his knee off his neck; from 8:19pm to 8:27pm his knee was on Floyd’s neck; has been fired (5/26/20) & arrested & charged (5/29/20) with 3rd degree murder & 2nd degree manslaughter. Charges changed (6/3/20) to 2nd degree murder-unintentional-while committing a felony, 3rd degree murder-perpetrating eminently dangerous act (3rd degree charge was dismissed on 10/22/20 & reinstated on 3/11/21) & evincing depraved mind & 2nd degree manslaughter-culpable negligence creating unreasonable risk. $500K bond, reset (6/8/20) @ $1.25M & $1M with conditions. Posted non-cash $1M bond (10/7/20) & has been released from jail.
Trial set to begin on 3/8/21 with jury selection. Jury selection could run through March 26, 2021. Opening statements & the commencement of the State’s case will begin no earlier than March 29, 2021. Experts anticipate the trial could last 2-4 weeks. Jurors: 12 & 2 alternates. Jurors will be sequestered during deliberations. None of the other officers will be testifying at Chauvin’s trial.
Jurors seated as of 3/11/21: Juror #2: White man in his 20s or 30s. Juror #9: Multi-racial woman in her 20s or 30s. Juror #19: White man in his 30s. Juror #20: White man in his late 30s or 40s. Juror #27: Black man in his 30s or 40s. Juror #36: Hispanic male.

Bond conditions & court info & jury selection from 12/19/20 thru 3/9/21 reference post #319 here:
MN - George Floyd, 46, killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *officers charged* #3

3/10/21 Wednesday, Day 2 of Jury Selection: Will be 7 potential jurors in the morning session & 7 in the afternoon. Juror #20 - Selected, male. Juror #21 -Dismissed on ?. Juror #22 - Dismissed already on 3/8. Juror #23 - Dismissed, female. Juror #24 & #25 - Dismissed already on 3/8. Juror #26 - Dismissed, male. Juror #27 - Selected, male. Juror #28 – Dismissed, male. Juror #29 - Dismissed, female. Juror #30 – Dismissed, male. Potential juror 98 never filled out the questionnaire. They have been in contact with her. She is in her late 70's and has opted out of jury service, which the judge said "is her right". Where jury selection currently stands: 5 jurors seated--four men, one woman. A total of 14 jurors (12 jurors & 2 alternates) are needed to start trial. Defense dismissed 4 jurors. They have 11 peremptory challenges remaining. Prosecutors dismissed 3 jurors. They have 6 peremptory challenges remaining. Judge dismissed 3 jurors for cause on Tuesday, 3/9. 3/10/21: State Supreme Court denied defense appeal of 3rd degree murder charge. What this means now is it's up to Judge Cahill if he will reinstate the charge that he previously dismissed. Court of Appeals ordered him to 'reconsider'. Jury selection continues to 3/11/21.
3/11/21 Thursday, Day 3 of Jury Selection: Judge Cahill is currently hearing arguments on whether to reinstate the 3rd degree murder charge against Chauvin & has now reinstated a 3rd degree murder charge. Judge tells one of the jurors that they will sequestered during deliberations. Juror #31 - Dismissed, male. Juror #32 – Dismissed on 3/8. Juror #33 – Dismissed. Juror #34 – Dismissed. Juror #35 - Dismissed on 3/8/21. Juror #36 – Selected, male. Juror #37 – Dismissed, female. Juror #38 – Dismissed, male. Juror #39 – Dismissed, male. Juror #40 – Dismissed, male. Juror #41 – Dismissed, female. No more jurors for the day. No motions tomorrow, jury selection continues on 3/12/21 at 9am. Defense has used 7/15 strikes & State 4/9 strikes.
*Charged (7/22/20) with 6 counts of aiding & abetting taxes-false or fraudulent returns-filed with commissioner & 3 counts aiding & abetting taxes-failure to file return, report, document. – Omnibus hearing on 6/30/21.
*Divorce – Was settled on 2/3/21.

Hello fellow trial sleuths...wondering what everyone things on this 3rd degree to be discussed today. It is now in the hands of Judge Cahill. It is my understanding that Chauvin was offered a plea deal on this count with 10 year sentence but State decided it was not going to be enough for the protestors and it was off the table. Any thoughts?
I have a few thoughts...
I don't think we'll see a better example of Lady Justice being more bias as you will with this trial.
From those that are afraid our country will burn unless a guilty verdict is reached, to the potential Jurors that are being questioned acting like they are interviewing for their dream job. I find it odd that many people will do whatever it takes to get out of serving on Jury Duty, yet, I watched one potential juror acting like she just won a trip to Disney World. Why? For the 15 minutes of fame and fortune and of course, the potential book deal. She sounded like Foyd's death was the best thing that ever happened.
I watched another that was afraid if he returned the wrong verdict that he and his family would be in danger, and he may be right.
The sad fact is, William Barr showed his bias as well by denying the plea deal because he thought it was offered too soon, and would have had an impact on protests in this country. What ever happened to the right to a speedy trial? If this happened between two regular guys fighting behind a Dennys, he would have got his plea deal.
IMO, this trial will be as bias as the Rodney King beating, when the wrong verdict was returned, LA burned, and George Bush 1 had to order a federal trial to right the wrong, just to stop the destruction.
Voir Dire? I doubt it.

Last edited:
I live in Minneapolis and find Rocky's post right on the money. The young "excited" woman should never have been picked...will no way be able to contain that excitement and I bet a number of people already know she is on the Floyd jury. I look for her to cause issues. Another perfect example is the man who has zero problems cancelling his wedding on May 1 which of course the verdict will never be in by that date. No problem at all. Either he does NOT want to get married or is SO eager to get on this jury it is no problem. There is so much pent up anger in our country and right here in Minneapolis and stealth jurors are almost a certainty here. I find the level of questions rather superficial and having gone thru voir dire a couple of times know it is normally a bit more personal and exacting.

First juror on 3/12 seems to not even need a minute to think about these questions and almost seems to know what they are. Sorry cynical here but very easy for them to get these questions in advance and unfortunately the questions are exactly the same from the defense. See clearly wants to get on...yet another one wants on.

She says she has never been wrong on anything!!!! Oh Please.

I live in Minneapolis and find Rocky's post right on the money. The young "excited" woman should never have been picked...will no way be able to contain that excitement and I bet a number of people already know she is on the Floyd jury. I look for her to cause issues. Another perfect example is the man who has zero problems cancelling his wedding on May 1 which of course the verdict will never be in by that date. No problem at all. Either he does NOT want to get married or is SO eager to get on this jury it is no problem. There is so much pent up anger in our country and right here in Minneapolis and stealth jurors are almost a certainty here. I find the level of questions rather superficial and having gone thru voir dire a couple of times know it is normally a bit more personal and exacting.

Even for the 2011 trial for Casey Anthony they drilled down more re social media (not just news they followed) to know during voir dire and even discussed Websleuths 10 years ago.

RSBM
She says she has never been wrong on anything!!!! Oh Please.

The question to her (I"m just watching and is verbatim as I'm behind you in viewing the Youtube) was "In your personal life, professional, familial, or whatever...Can you think of a situation where you've been 100% convinced of something and it later turns out you were wrong?" She said no.

He follows with "Can you imagine that happening in your life?" She answers yes.

To me personally, I take first "no" answer that differently than you do and saying that she has never been wrong on anything. It was qualified as 100% convinced so I see different that she was never wrong. She perhaps just can't think of a situation to share while in court to give as an example as he was asking for an example of being 100% convinced.

MOO

ETA: Defense used one of their kicks... she is gone, never questioned by the prosecution.

11:07 Eastern... still in recess waiting for next juror.

Last edited:
Seriously, I would do anything to get out of jury duty for this trial. And, fortunately, I don't live in Minneapolis. Even better, my job would give me an out in a heartbeat.

Sequestration...we have talked about this before, in regards to Casey Anthony, and another more recent trial....

Seriously, I would do anything to get out of jury duty for this trial. And, fortunately, I don't live in Minneapolis. Even better, my job would give me an out in a heartbeat.

Sequestration...we have talked about this before, in regards to Casey Anthony, and another more recent trial....

At this time, they are being told sequestration for only the deliberations, but that this could change per judge. (vs. Anthony case, sequestered for the entire trial)

The next group of jurors has been given main directions and have left. Juror #44 is held back, others to return one by one.. #44, going into in-camera. (Single mom, her two teenage boys can stay with dad... hahahahaha, she said her 18 year old son cannot be left by himself if sequestered... entire courtroom laughs including judge.. yes m'am, us adults get it!)

Understand as to concern as to identity. Friends would know and it would spread from there. Additionally, as we know here that the identities can be released afterwards to the detriment if they want to stay anonymous.

Last edited:
The question to her (I"m just watching and is verbatim as I'm behind you in viewing the Youtube) was "In your personal life, professional, familial, or whatever...Can you think of a situation where you've been 100% convinced of something and it later turns out you were wrong?" She said no.

He follows with "Can you imagine that happening in your life?" She answers yes.

To me personally, I take first "no" answer that differently than you do and saying that she has never been wrong on anything. It was qualified as 100% convinced so I see different that she was never wrong. She perhaps just can't think of a situation to share while in court to give as an example as he was asking for an example of being 100% convinced.

MOO

ETA: Defense used one of their kicks... she is gone, never questioned by the prosecution.

11:07 Eastern... still in recess waiting for next juror.

Yes I get the sequence...maybe I am unique but so often I am 100% convinced on something ony to find out I am wrong...I took the answer as lack of life experience...just me maybe. Anyway she is gone.

Yes I get the sequence...maybe I am unique but so often I am 100% convinced on something ony to find out I am wrong...I took the answer as lack of life experience...just me maybe. Anyway she is gone.

Good point as she was recent college graduate. Thanks for your insight!

I have one specific thing that happened in my life during college which I thought I was 100% convinced I was right, and was wrong.

Only you folks here can understand why I like to follow voir dire. I love learning others opinions and how they would answer the same questions if I was asked.

I've told two folks that I was following voir dire... and *crickets* LOL

We are in lunch recess at 8 after the hour. I had thought that a different feed would be discussing during this break... but not at either feed. Does anyone have a feed which is discussing now?

Both of these are silent and only on seal.

TIA

I totally agree with your synopsis. I feel there is really a few stealth juror. I also have been through four dire a few times and it seems to be rather soft questions. The defense is trying so hard to appear friendly so he doesn't have a hostile juror. I'm at a loss as to why some of these jurors were seated.

Judge dismissed potential Juror #43 for cause, that means it doesn't count against the defense and prosecution limited number of strikes allowed.

https://twitter.com/ericchalouxkstp/status/1370044884112052226?s=21
—-

The first person to be questioned was juror #42, a woman who is a recent college grad and described herself as a "genuine person." She said she believes police reform is needed, and that she attended a protest after George Floyd's death. She told defense attorney Eric Nelson that she can set her opinions aside to listen to the case fairly.

She wrote in her questionnaire that she believes everything happens for a reason, so she believes if she is seated on the jury, it is for a reason. Nelson asked her if that reason is to make sure Chauvin gets convicted. She said no, "to have someone here who has an open mind."

Nelson used his eighth peremptory strike to remove the woman from consideration before the prosecution had a chance to question her.

The defense started with 15 strikes, so they have seven left. Those strikes can be used to strike a juror without a specific cause.

Derek Chauvin trial jury selection continues with 6 seated, 8 to go

After a longer than usual questioning period with juror #44, the defense decided to "pass for cause," which means they will not to use a strike to dismiss her. The prosecution will question her next, but first Judge Peter Cahill announced a recess for lunch.

The jury selection process will resume at 1:15 p.m. Judge Cahill said he hopes they can get through three more people, after they finish questioning juror #44.

Juror #44 said she believes there is systemic racism in the criminal justice system, based on her work in the nonprofit realm. However, she told the defense that she can look at the case in a fair and unbiased manner. She said she is an "analytical" person and will make a facts-based decision.

Last edited:
I too think what many here would call a stealth juror has been seated so far. One, MOO... wasn't even stealth at all MOO iykwim

He's getting an earful from jurors as to perceptions. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member