MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mercy me that is a frightening picture, human!! Imagine those kids, with some freak standing there with nylon over his face -- what do you think about the kids describing the perpetrator as being 25 - 35 with the sketch looking older (in my opinion)

Human, Caoutchouc, do you think the kids could have identified DR with the hose/nylon thing over his face? Wonder what they said if/when asked about him

Interesting, but I think it furthers my point that if it was DR in a pantyhose mask the kids would've recognized him, either that night or years later.

Human, the photos you've posted are distorting, indeed. However, w/all due respect to the subjects, they have much more facial fat than I believe DR would have had at the time (or now)

Interesting, but I think it furthers my point that if it was DR in a pantyhose mask the kids would've recognized him, either that night or years later.

Human, the photos you've posted are distorting, indeed. However, w/all due respect to the subjects, they have much more facial fat than I believe DR would have had at the time (or now)

Really? How do we know as we don't know what those people look like.

The nose is not bone. So it will fold down or to the side or up if you like a pig nose effect.

The lips are fleshy on anyone. So those can be made to flatten out.

And of course everyone has flesh on the cheeks. Mushing up or out or down. Who knows which way.

In grade school for Halloween, a fifth grade boy dressed as a girl. We could not figure out who he was even though he was obviously a child in a certain room.

How easy it is to fool someone. And in the case if the boy dressed as a girl, it was a lot of someone's.

It was fifty some years ago this happened.

We were all so impressed.

Really? How do we know as we don't know what those people look like.

The nose is not bone. So it will fold down or to the side or up if you like a pig nose effect.

The lips are fleshy on anyone. So those can be made to flatten out.

And of course everyone has flesh on the cheeks. Mushing up or out or down. Who knows which way.

In grade school for Halloween, a fifth grade boy dressed as a girl. We could not figure out who he was even though he was obviously a child in a certain room.

How easy it is to fool someone. And in the case if the boy dressed as a girl, it was a lot of someone's.

It was fifty some years ago this happened.

We were all so impressed.

We'll agree to disagree, but I MUST point out the nose IS bone and cartilage. You're talking about the tip, which is fleshy and malleable. I'm talking about the overall structure that determines that final fleshy bit. Its called the ethmoid bone

We'll agree to disagree, but I MUST point out the nose IS bone and cartilage. You're talking about the tip, which is fleshy and malleable. I'm talking about the overall structure that determines that final fleshy bit. Its called the ethmoid bone

Move the end of your nose around.

Easy. Up, down or either side.

I dare say that changes how anyone looks.

Easy experiment to do. No panty hose needed

If we knew what the boys as adults think about it now that would help. It was said that the boys first instincts was that it was someone from the neighborhood and that they almost laughed at first. Those first instincts may be sticking with them.

Can I geek out and admit something potentially quite embarrassing?
I've seen people on this board conduct various recreations with tires and sand and dirt and even cordless phones, but not with pantyhose.
Like many, I've seen this disguise in the movies (usually in the context of bank robbery), so I was curious: how much do a pair of black pantyhose truly mask your appearance?
In the privacy of my home (and ok- after a glass of wine ;) I tried it. I even threw on a large dark overcoat for the full effect.
My observations:
1. Wow it's hard to see out of pantyhose. Granted I tried out the least forgiving kind -opaque/noir, but I can't imagine trying to see in the dark with very dark pantyhose over your head.
2. I was surprised how much of my facial structure you COULD see (I took a selfie, because as per #1...I could not see very well). My nose, neck, and jawline remained incredibly distinct
3. Even with the addition of a bulky overcoat, some of my most basic physical features were recognizable

So what does my little experiment conclude? (aside from the fact I'm overly curious if a little nutty?)

IMO even though I was "disguised" if I'd come upon anyone who might recognize me sans pantyhose, they'd have recognized me WITH the hose on my head.
Therefore, imo- given DR's presence on camera in media interviews, I have a hard time believing Trevor or Aaron wouldn't recognize him. (I suppose there's the slight possibility that they did somehow say they recognize DR as the potential perp and we've just not heard that info, but I doubt it)
And of course this isn't to say that DR didn't have a hand in the abduction, willingly or otherwise (e.g. what if the travel agent who booked his parents' trip to Europe did it...)...but I have a hard time believing DR wouldn't be recognizable to the boys even with pantyhose over his head.

Remember though it was very dark. I don't see how the boys could recognize anyone except possibly by voice, and that could have been easily disguised. I'm more inclined to be curious about how the perp could see the boys. No yard light, no moon - I wonder if the perp himself had a flashlight? It's never been reported either way, to my knowledge.

I think the perp was stalking the boys, following and hiding from them -- possibly carrying a flashlight at some point then dousing it. Seems like it would have been someone at least familiar with the area and not afraid to lurk in the dark at that location

Wow. This thread must have a very young average age. Everyone my age knows that grannies (like Dan's mom) don't wear pantyhose. Never. They wear dresses that are below the knee in length and then elastic pant socks. Many are compression socks, but all are tight. (Remember Mrs. Doubtfire and the bus scene where her knee-length socks fall down?) These are a LOT tighter than pantyhose. If you put one over your face, your facial features are grossly distorted. The boys would not have been able to recognize Dan.

Wow. This thread must have a very young average age. Everyone my age knows that grannies (like Dan's mom) don't wear pantyhose. Never. They wear dresses that are below the knee in length and then elastic pant socks. Many are compression socks, but all are tight. (Remember Mrs. Doubtfire and the bus scene where her knee-length socks fall down?) These are a LOT tighter than pantyhose. If you put one over your face, your facial features are grossly distorted. The boys would not have been able to recognize Dan.

Pumpkin. Ever heard of Spanx? I tried with a pair of normal hose and a pair of Spanx. Same effect.

Look- one thing I think we can all agree- IF the perp was wearing any kind of pantyhose over his head, it would've been very difficult for him to see

I think ELOC has a good point. Even if the perp was wearing a paper bag over his head, it was too dark out to see anything.

Pumpkin. Ever heard of Spankx? I tried with a pair of normal hose and a pair of Spanx. Same effect.

Look- one thing I think we can all agree- IF the perp was wearing any kind of pantyhose over his head, it would've been very difficult for him to see

Sorry. Can't agree. I am wearing a GAP hooded sweatshirt right now. Sweatshirt, mind you.

I put the body up to my face.

I can't see that much, but I can see even through sweatshirt fabric.

I suggest people try things and see what they see.

Surprising, isn't it

I have heard of Spanx. Something like a modern day girdle?

I don't there were Spanx back then?

Pumpkin. Ever heard of Spanx? I tried with a pair of normal hose and a pair of Spanx. Same effect.

Maybe the sicko couldn't see 20/20. THAT'S why he had to ask the age of the boys. He had to ask the age to make certain he grabbed his favorite (Jacob) whom he had been watching for years from his property. If he had asked for Jacob by name, LE would quickly determine that Jacob's abductor knew him or was his neighbor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l