MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
FBI profiler John Douglas solved the WM3 case in his book Law & Disorder, IMO.

If you haven't read it or or unaware of the conclusion, I'm not sure what the WS rules allow me to repeat, but basically the abductor of the boys was one of the local adults who had regular contact with them and a long history of domestic violence. I appreciate you bringing new ideas. But I'm certain Jacob isn't related to the Memphis case.

BTW, the notion that 3 non violent (and not particularly clever) teenagers could pull this off is ridiculous but goes a long way towards illustrating the prejudices of cops given to them by the local community and the local values. The WM3 were weird kids who liked heavy metal instead of the church choir, hence they are child abductors. POlice, judge, jury all bought into it.......

The WM3 are the basis for the movie "Devil's Knot", which is a very compelling drama, and appears to be highly accurate. Coincidentally, I happened to watch this movie the very same day I picked up "Law & Disorder," not knowing the case was detailed in the book.

Long story short, when and if the Wetterling case shakes out, LE would need to have had some solid info on DR to justify naming him a POI, IMO. All the info we know about him doesn't seem to cut it, at most it makes him odd.

Agree, no way is Jacob's case related to the WM3. I think Douglas is spot on with his conclusion on who committed those murders.

Interestingly, Douglas was the FBI agent who created the well-known profile of Jacob's likely abductor soon after he was taken.

I have a sneaky feeling that Mossad is leading us on a wild goose chase. Otherwise he would have submitted the tip to solve this case a few years ago.

I'm gonna make a wild guess here. I think the Wetterlings are privy to some information that we are not, yet they are not leading the charge. It seems to me that since it is their child that disappeared and not a child of anyone on WS that anyone here should not be leading anything. The Wetterlings have gone far beyond what parents could be expected to do, yet they currently are leaving things be. Yes. This is a terrible crime that remains unsolved, but where does responsibility lie to push LE into more than what they are doing?

Sometimes people get blamed for focusing on one person,then they get blamed for considering others, it is ridiculous that there needs to be two threads, I believe that will be the beginning of the end of the Jacob case getting so much print on websleuths, too bad....

That's exactly it.

From the Wadena bone search

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/region/3825114-human-bone-fragments-found-farm-near-wadena

," the sheriff's office said in a statement. "This is an active and ongoing investigation and as such, pursuant to Minnesota Statutes prohibiting information disclosure of ongoing investigations, no further comments will be made at this time."

Bone fragments found. Now why is what is still testing in the Wetterling, why does it have to be a secret?

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/region/3825114-human-bone-fragments-found-farm-near-wadena

," the sheriff's office said in a statement. "This is an active and ongoing investigation and as such, pursuant to Minnesota Statutes prohibiting information disclosure of ongoing investigations, no further comments will be made at this time."

Exactly. http://www.rcfp.org/rcfp/orders/docs/POLICE.pdf

Although MN allows a person to compel access to data, the first thing a judge would ask would be why the person requesting access has a need to know. Lot of luck on that one.

"Section 13.82, subd. 7 protects “investigative data” collected to prepare a case against a person as confidential, as long as
the investigation is active. Subdivision 7 also allows any person to bring action to compel access to investigative data. “Inactive investigative data” are public. Along with the expiration of formal time periods, an investigation becomes inactive when the agency decides “not to pursue the case.” § 13.82, subd. 7."

Isn't it interesting they're calling it unrelated to the wetterling before the analysis is complete?

"Contrary to erroneous media reports, the human remains being sought do not involve Jacob Wetterling or Carla Anderson. Numerous bone fragments were found and have been sent in for analysis concerning the origin of the items found," the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Yes. Though unlike the 3 you had mentioned I don't believe he will be captured alive.

Someone out there collected souvenirs from abductions. I believe all the Paynesville/ColdSpring/StJoseph cases are connected. Perhaps LE got close to the perp and he destroyed his souvenirs? I truly believe you find the person who owned this parka, you will solve all the cases.
http://www.joybaker.com/wp-content/2014/04/70s_parka.jpg

That is a Military or knock off air crew parka. Blue is Air Force. The tag would tell you if it is true Military or a knock off. If it is genuine, it would only be available on base or from an authorized distributor.

I support having more than one thread for this forum. I live in the area and have ties to St Joe and St John's. I was involved in the search for Jacob in the first weeks after he disappeared. Unless you are familiar with this area, it is difficult to understand how remote and isolated the driveway, road and even little St Joseph is, in the grand scheme of things. I am no closer to understanding who might have taken Jacob than I was in October of 1989. This is a small community built around a nuns Monastery and college campus, mostly a farming area outside of St Cloud,MN. How anyone NOT LOCAL could be involved with this, is hard to fathom. I have thought that he may have been watched or stalked through his hockey and sports programs, but the similarities to that of Jared are not coincidental. MOO

If someone knew something about what happened to Jacob and were legally bound not to reveal it to anyone else, could they leave clues for others to eventually figure it out on their own? Could the clues be vague enough that he/she could not be held legally accountable?

Surely there must be some technology that could be utilized with minimal effort, no digging, no destruction of property, no muss, no fuss, and perhaps if asked nicely or, for a worthy cause, such technology might even be obtained at a discount or no cost in someone’s spare time . . .

But who? Who would have technology powerful enough to locate a needle in a haystack, or even an unmarked grave?

Surely there must be local resources available to manage such a project. But who? Where?

So how does one go about using such tools on private property? Ask permission of the owners? Or how does one explain to such a service why they need their service?

I'm gonna make a wild guess here. I think the Wetterlings are privy to some information that we are not, yet they are not leading the charge. It seems to me that since it is their child that disappeared and not a child of anyone on WS that anyone here should not be leading anything. The Wetterlings have gone far beyond what parents could be expected to do, yet they currently are leaving things be. Yes. This is a terrible crime that remains unsolved, but where does responsibility lie to push LE into more than what they are doing?

Speculating about what the Wetterlings are thinking doesn't accomplish much, IMO. Isn't it better to work with what we have and what we know?

Besides, everyone has an interest in solving crime, not just the victims. Being a victim of crime does not confer sainthood or perfection.

I have been trying to locate addresses where DAH lived prior to being incarcerated in 1990. No luck, I can't even find his DOB in any database.

Have you tried Lexis/Nexis?

I support having more than one thread for this forum. I live in the area and have ties to St Joe and St John's. I was involved in the search for Jacob in the first weeks after he disappeared. Unless you are familiar with this area, it is difficult to understand how remote and isolated the driveway, road and even little St Joseph is, in the grand scheme of things. I am no closer to understanding who might have taken Jacob than I was in October of 1989. This is a small community built around a nuns Monastery and college campus, mostly a farming area outside of St Cloud,MN. How anyone NOT LOCAL could be involved with this, is hard to fathom. I have thought that he may have been watched or stalked through his hockey and sports programs, but the similarities to that of Jared are not coincidental. MOO

I value very much your input. I wish more people would participate and I hope a new thread will make that easier.
Your local insights are especially valuable.

If someone knew something about what happened to Jacob and were legally bound not to reveal it to anyone else, could they leave clues for others to eventually figure it out on their own? Could the clues be vague enough that he/she could not be held legally accountable?

1. why wouldn't an anonymous tip work?
2. what scenario are you talking about where someone could have knowledge of a crime but be "legally bound" not to reveal the information?

Have you tried Lexis/Nexis?

I have not. However, I did spend some $ today purchasing a background report.

It came up with only his current Moose Lake address, and the 1990 criminal charges. :sigh:

Do you mean like a priest who heard the abductor's confession? Or the confession of someone who saw something?I can't think who else would be legally bound not to tell anyone. I would think a priest could maybe tell a higher authority like a bishop? Not sure. Of course, it might not go any further depending on who they told. (Just thinking out loud.)

1. why wouldn't an anonymous tip work?
2. what scenario are you talking about where someone could have knowledge of a crime but be "legally bound" not to reveal the information?

Not really sure myself... just trying to figure out why someone would leave clues and not actually come out and say what they know, whether it be anonymous or not. Maybe they know an anonymous tip would be brushed aside or not taken seriously being there have been so many that turned up to be nothing. Or maybe the person isn't legally bound, but their life might be in danger if they tell.

Do you mean like a priest who heard the abductor's confession? Or the confession of someone who saw something?I can't think who else would be legally bound not to tell anyone. I would think a priest could maybe tell a higher authority like a bishop? Not sure. Of course, it might not go any further depending on who they told. (Just thinking out loud.)

That was an idea I was thinking of... not so much legally bound by civil law, but canon law. If they leave clues and someone else figures it out they wouldn't be guilty of breaking the seal of confession.

Another reason for leaving clues might be someone in LE who knows something, but can't reveal it because of corruption in the department, where they might lose their job or be in legal trouble for revealing sealed information. Just throwing out ideas.

Hello Matthew 1026, I was wondering if you could present a hypothetical, completely theoretical possibility of what may have happened to Jacob -- just curious to know your thoughts. Many thanks.

Another reason for leaving clues might be someone in LE who knows something, but can't reveal it because of corruption in the department, where they might lose their job or be in legal trouble for revealing sealed information. Just throwing out ideas.

As for the possibility of a clergymen or psychiatrist knowing some information - this is possible, sure. I believe the courts have generally held that they have an affirmative requirement to report future threats, regardless of confidentiality concerns. So if you show up at your minister or doctor's office and admit you committed a dangerous crime against children, it's going to be ethically very tricky to keep this information confidential and may possibly present legal troubles.

However, as we all know, the Catholic Church has hidden crime on a gigantic scale in almost every Parish. So I guess we can't count on the ethics or legal obligations of priests to help this case.

As for cops knowing something...I work with a retired NYPD detective, so this is purely subjective, but he says cops find a way to get the bad guy if they are sure who the bad guy is. This sometimes means stretching the rules. In other words, I don't see a lot of cops out there who think they know who Jacob's abductor is but who don't come forward because it's against the rules. They would find a way, IMO. They are pretty gung-ho to get criminals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pacobasal