MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad to see they are still working on this...I was beginning to worry after not hearing anything about the new search...it would be great if they could solve this case for Jacob.

Well, it's a LONG walk around the lake through woods on a narrow dirt path to the Stella Maris Chapel. So I doubt anyone would drag a live abducted child there. Here is a map overview showing how far it is.
http://wiki.worldflicks.org/lake_sagatagan.html#coords=(45.575149617451224,-94.38787937164307)&z=15

Pictures and articles on history of Stella Maris Chapel at St. John's:
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMGBQ_Stella_Maris_Chapel_Minnesota
http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/item_viewer.php?CISOROOT=/SJUArchives&CISOPTR=242

While looking for photos of the chapel I found an interesting resource to search through. "The Record" is the St. John's University paper and it's all online for years back in pdf form. I'm reading now to see how different actual reports back then were from what we've seen from the Times and Twin Cities papers.
http://cdm.csbsju.edu/cdm4/document.php?CISOROOT=/CSBArchNews&CISOPTR=36952&REC=13

I put an advanced search in there for "Jacob Wetterling" and came up with all these links. You can read the paper from back in 1989 on up and see exactly what was reported. I imagine it can also be used to search other terms such as "rassier", Josh Guimond" for those interested.

1. Thanks for that info. I read the articles about Jacob.

The one about a year later or was it 2 years later was so emotional for me.

They had a stuffed bear with a note that said something like this;

Jacob, if we're not home when you come here, call 011. They know where we are.

Then another article talked about how Patty couldn't get out of bed for days.

Patty is an amazing woman. Just amazing.

1. I didn't find anything about DR. Just that it appears that his father went to St. John's prep and was an athlete.

I'm confused as to why LE took DNA from DR years ago. The comment was made that the statute of limitations had run out so he couldn't be charged with molesting Jared even if the DNA was a match. But what about kidnapping? If the DNA was a match, couldn't they have charged DR with kidnapping Jared ? Maybe the DNA had nothing to do with Jared's case but I can't figure out why they wanted it. Just to have on file ?

1. I didn't find anything about DR. Just that it appears that his father went to St. John's prep and was an athlete.

RSBM

This may be a very important point.

I don't usually follow cases involving pedophiles as it's simply too disturbing to me. From what I do know, an abuser has usually been abused himself as a child. I do find it interesting to know DR's father attended St John's Prep. There have been several allegations of abuse at the school. It seems likely this would not be a new situation there. The Church covered up the scandal for years. Perhaps DR was abused himself as a child .... never married, never had children, living at home ... ?

Just throwing out the possibility.

I've tried to read everything before asking so as not to duplicate, but here goes.

Do we know how often the guy's ("DR's?") parents went out of town? Was this a once in a blue moon trip or did they frequently leave him alone on the farm? (He was/is a teacher, right?)

Did the two adult brothers visit the parents and DR on the farm often? And how far away did they live? Iow, would a pop-in visit be a likelihood?

Did the Wetterling kids - with or without the friend - make a habit of going to the Tom Thumb after dinner? (or in the evening?) Iow, was this a routine for them of sorts?

Did I understand correctly that the kids called the Wetterlings at their PTA event to ask permission to go? Mom said no and Dad said yes?

Were the KIDS the ones who arranged for a babysitter for the younger sister?

I guess Im trying to narrow down who knew that the boys would be leaving the house (and possibly where they were going and when)

TIA.

The "waste my time" comment is odd to me. Imo, if someone were not involved and merely an uncaring jerk, a normal person (particularly a kids' teacher) would probably want to make at least some minimal effort keep his jerkiness to himself. Iow, if he were not involved and only a jerk it seems like he'd just quietly not participate rather than make memorable, callous statements. (The jerk factor being evidenced by not being eager to help, seemingly didnt care about the search, didnt want to "waste time," didnt seem shocked or appalled that a child is missing and he is a teacher of children, etc)

IDK. *sigh*

Did anyone ask what he was removing in those boxes? If so, what was his response? Not saying he'd tell the truth one way or the other, just wondering what his answer was and if it even sounds plausible to any of us.

I've bolded and added red color to the questions I'm answering from above post for clarity sake.

- To my understanding (have spent hours reading and researching whatever is available online on this case) taking their bikes out in the darkness was a first time for Jacob. However, I do not know if Tom Thumb was a place they often visited on their own. However, if they were able to rent a video from there, without a parent present, I can assume that this was pretty common right? Alternatively, perhaps a parent might have had to call and ok the rental? I recall being able to rent videos on my own in 1989 (Jacob and I are about the same age) from the local Blockbuster, and not needing my parents there because i had a card in my own name, and because the shop staff knew me.

- The Wetterlings were out that evening yes. I think they were at a dinner party or something, not sure if it was in relation to the PTA or not, but there was to be no school the following day.

- I have read that indeed it was the kids who arranged a babysitter for the little sister. I also read that when Aaron and Trevor returned to the Wetterling house, the babysitter (a next door neighbor), ran for her dad, and got him to call 911. I have heard his part of the 911 call (available online through a search), and he sounds very confused, and concerned. It is my belief that the tape of the call has been edited to a degree given his comments, and how the call progressed (the publically available section). further, if I recall correctly, I believe Aaron also spoke with 911 operator, and provided details, however as yet I have not heard his interaction with the 911 operator. It would be interesting to hear though if anyone can find it.

One would think that DR had no DNA match to Jared, that he would have been arrested if there was a match.

One would think that DR had no DNA match to Jared, that he would have been arrested if there was a match.

Does anyone know for sure IF any DNA was recovered from Jared following his attack? My understanding is that Jared's pants, and underpants were kept by his attacker, however, he was pulled from the car wearing his snow pants. This point makes me think that it is possible that the only DNA available might have belonged to Jared, and not to the perp. With that said however, if we consider Locard's Theory of Transfer, then it may be possible that Jared's clothing (snowpants, boots / shoes / socks / shirt?) may have had tiny transfer evidence available which may provide more clues regarding his assailant.

For example, perhaps fibers from the car seat may have been transferred to the clothing, perhaps hair from the attacker? Maybe dirt from the bottom of the shoe might provide transfer evidence from the mats / floor of the car might have meant transfer of dirt from the driver's area to the car, to the bottom of socks / shoes?

One has to wonder if perhaps something was tested from Jared's clothing / shoes / socks which may have led back to the ash pile at the farm in question in Jacob's case? Back when the attacks happened, DNA and forensic testing were probably not as refined as they are now -- but a second look with a forensic tool box at all the evidence in Jared's case might well have provided (or may still provide) a clearer picture of what happened to him that day, as well as (if the two attacks are connected) more insight into what became of Jacob!!

I'm providing a link which explains Locard's Theory (mentioned above) for those who may be unfamiliar with it...

http://dna-trace-analysis.suite101.com/article.cfm/forensic_fiber_analysis

they have touch DNA technology available now, so maybe maybe maybe. Please!!

Just located a recent article, wherein author claims to have it on "good authority" that DNA evidence was collected from Jared's case:

http://www.immelman.us/news/wetterling-suspect-dan-rassier/

Off to read...

I do not want to say DR is guilty as how would I have the slightest idea.

But in Duluth, a 76 year old man with stellar resume was just arrested for the sexual abuse of a boy of around age 12. He was a boy scout leader and a high rank in the military.

The abuse occurred in the 90's. So just because someone has not come forward, does not mean anything yet to me.

I guess I always thought that they collected DR's DNA for Jacob's case, not necessarily Jared's. Although many of us feel the cases are connected, DR was named a POI only in Jacob's case.

Maybe DR told one of the monks or priests that there was a cute little neighbor boy who was 11 years old. DR could have possibly had this person over to his house to stay while his parents were out of town. Or maybe DR confided in this priest or monk and told them he wanted to experience with a little boy so they helped him get someone to molest.

Some of us were posting about this earlier on in the thread. After doing a significant amount of reading, I am also inclined to believe there was some collusion, to what degree or in what manner, is yet to be determined. JMO

In researching this case further this morning, I came across a site wherein a poster states that a white sweat sock was found on October 28, 1989 (six days post abduction). The sock was found apparently about 100 yards from the abduction site, but the dogs couldn't track it any further. Its unclear to me whether to sock was prooven to belong to Jacob (but wouldn't it be interesting if this WAS prooven via DNA from inside the sock!!).

The site is:
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.true-crime/browse_thread/thread/cb67cf9b3767b1f5/b150b131c2bcc05f

Also, on that site, I found the name of the neighbor who was babysitting (Rochelle Jerzak), and noted that her father made the 911 call initially. I'm reading an outline of the 911 call just now....

You may be interested, margaret diane, to read the thread about missing Joshua Guimond.

Do some news articles state that Jared was "raped" or "sexually assaulted"?

If he was raped then I would think DNA would be present even though underwear or jeans were taken by the perp. However, there could be a substantial difference if there was an object involved. If he was sexually assaulted, that could mean a number of things; however, DNA might still be present in semen or skin cells.

I don't understand why the media needs to understate a rape, if that is what happened.

I'm guessing DNA was collected in a rape-kit at the hospital Jared was taken to. And yes he probably was raped but the media doesn't say so directly (for whatever reason).

Here's a comment I found on another site talking about this case, although I don't usually post other people's stuff I still find it interesting enough to do so.

"I know people close to the Stearns County Attorney's office. The identity of the abductor has been an open secret in that office for years. Anyone with anything to do with that case have been, for years, waiting for that one piece of evidence to finally surface which would give them probable cause to raid that mother *advertiser censored****. Looks like they may finally have it."

Link to the original:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3322965&pagenumber=2

Observation to note:

TR (DR brother) owns a parcel (split off) right next to the Rassier Farm. It looks like a house was built on that property in the early 2000's. It is located about 700 feet north of the Driveway. Just an observation..

Observation to note:

TR (DR brother) owns a parcel (split off) right next to the Rassier Farm. It looks like a house was built on that property in the early 2000's. It is located about 700 feet north of the Driveway. Just an observation..

I have wondered about that house and who lives there.
Here's a picture of it (located on the top-left).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aceofswords