MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've checked www.ratemyteacher.com and www.ratemyprofessor.com He doesn't come up on either. On RMT when I put Rassier in it says it found 1 of 0 results. I don't know how to get at the 1 result though.

What is the third brothers name? I think someone posted that it starts with T?

It may show up in a free people search such as Pipl, 411 or just type in free people search in googe and you will get some sites.

I am thinking it's Anthony.

Ratemyteachers is a ridiculous site, which usually gets discontented students, so I would not place any credibility in it.

I tried teachers that I know, none of whom is listed.

Re: car phones

When J disappeared, I think car phones were for elite drivers or those who wanted to shell out for the expense. Most people didn't have them. As to walkie talkies - sounds like a sophisticated operation. However, obviously the abduction was planned, re: gun, mask, perp hidden.

Re: Tom Thumb

I was thinking more of the unidentified customer who has never come forward. If he was innocent, why not?

What is the new forensic technology used to sift throught the ash/soil for human remains? It would seem to me they now have a method to tag or clear in a more accurate and accelerated rate than in the past.

This leads me to think that perhaps a conveyor that passes the dirt under some kind of light spectrum (spectrometer) can detect the presence of human chemical composition.

Wonder what the distance/time frame was from the driveway to the Tom Thumb and back to the driveway? Then you would have to account for time spent in the Tom Thumb and the boys' departure. Maybe this was the reason for the man in the Tom Thumb, as I said earlier.

If this was the scenario, then the man in the Tom Thumb could have used a pay phone, making the call to a residence. The recipient of that call, could then have time to dress and conceal himself before the boys arrival back at the driveway.

I agree about the brothers, but I am guessing they have been checked out by LE. One currently, lives next door (since early 2000's) and one is a runner and a band teacher (Sound familiar) in a Twin Cities School district. It sounds like they run together quite a lot according to the many online running sites they are on.

One thing that makes me wonder is why does DR still lives at home when there is a brother to help out right next door???

BBM
Around here it means you are laying claim to the homestead.

Sorry to jump in mid conversation…I know there is not enough info for a forum so it kind of frustrating to keep things straight.

In one of Shergal links it was stated that Aaron lived just 4 miles away and was a frequent overnight visitor.

So anyone in the vicinity would know of him as well as Jacob. With T along probably most of the time the observant perp would have guessed he would have to handle three boys no matter how long he bided his time.

The instructions from the perp make me think this is an authoritative person, one who is used to wrangling youngsters.

Although as another poster has wished I also wish they had just run like hell….

I can’t seem to find more information about the skating rink guy that Mr. Wetterling mentioned. I don’t think there was much information to start with?

I think the perp picked Jacob up and ran back up the driveway. He would have had to move fast judging from the pictures of the spot to get off into the darkness and we know who is strong and fast moving….

All IMO

But the person at the tom thumb would still have to know which way they came from so the person on the other end of the line would know where to hide. I believe what Aaron heard in the grass going by the first time was the abductor but he didn't jump out at that time because at this point he was still just watching (or "perving" as I like to call it) and he didn't feel he could do a successful job of kidnapping without a weapon so he ran home, got the gun and came back and waited. Personally the smoking gun in all this is the fact that the abductor brought Jacob down the driveway that he popped out from in the first place and the only place to go would have been the farm house because there isn't much else down there and the police were on the scene in six minutes so that doesn't leave a lot of time to drag an extremely upset and resistant 11 year old through the fields. JMO

I think the perp picked Jacob up and ran back up the driveway. He would have had to move fast judging from the pictures of the spot to get off into the darkness and we know who is strong and fast moving….

All IMO

That's what I have been thinking because a lot of ground would had to have been covered by foot that night. I wish there was more detailed info out there on what time the boys left the house and how long they spent outside getting everything ready before setting off to the store because then there would be a more solid time frame.

Small update today in the St. Cloud Times...not much new, still sifting dirt.

http://www.sctimes.com/article/2010...gators-sift-dirt-connected-to-Wetterling-case

I was encouraged by this article saying they may spend another week at this yet. Because originally they mentioned many months. Although I suppose the items that were taken will take longer to go through whatever forensics.

I'm not sure about the 2 man theory, it seems too complicated. I'm thinking it was something much simpler. I like Lotus's idea of the abductor having been out perving around, window peeping whatever, when he saw an opportunity and took it. He may not have even had a real gun, the boys just said they saw light flashing off something "a gun" in his hand in the dark - and when he said he had a gun, they believed him. (Jared never actually saw a gun either, did he? He was just told don't look back or I'll shoot.) He could have been wearing the stocking mask while window peeping and seen them leave their house. By the time they got back from the store, he would have been back down the road in the ditch waiting for them.

I'm thinking Jacob may have been knocked out right away so he wouldn't struggle and then he was hidden somewhere. I still can't believe LE did not search that house that night, but I guess the tire tracks and DR saying he had seen a car threw them off. I'm not sure where else they could have gone, even if there's a lake beyond all those trees in back of the farm, that was all searched thoroughly - although I'm not sure anymore if it was the next day or within 5 days that they searched.

Her last name is the same as the babysitter? Hmmm... I'd love to read the article you mention above -- any links to it by chance? Thanks in advance.

Margaret, Here's the main link to the St. John's newsletter archives: (this is a direct link, which was really long so I shortened it with tiny url, if it doesn't work, try the one below it.)
http://tinyurl.com/2438n37

Alternate - go here: http://www.hmml.org/vivarium/
Then go to this heading (2nd one down on right) for archives of St. John's newsletters. "CSB/SJU Newspaper Archives" and type in "Jacob Wetterling" in the blank and click go. A bunch of archived newsletters "The Record" come up. Good luck finding the correct one with the name of the witness, because I searched a bunch of them last night after human mentioned this and couldn't find it. Let us know if you figure out which date it was in.

But the person at the tom thumb would still have to know which way they came from so the person on the other end of the line would know where to hide. I believe what Aaron heard in the grass going by the first time was the abductor but he didn't jump out at that time because at this point he was still just watching (or "perving" as I like to call it) and he didn't feel he could do a successful job of kidnapping without a weapon so he ran home, got the gun and came back and waited. Personally the smoking gun in all this is the fact that the abductor brought Jacob down the driveway that he popped out from in the first place and the only place to go would have been the farm house because there isn't much else down there and the police were on the scene in six minutes so that doesn't leave a lot of time to drag an extremely upset and resistant 11 year old through the fields. JMO

I believe LE was on the scene 6 minutes from the time they received the call. There was still time between the abduction, the time the boys ran home, the time the boys told the story, the time the sitter ran next door to tell her father, and the time the sitter's father made the call.

I believe LE was on the scene 6 minutes from the time they received the call. There was still time between the abduction, the time the boys ran home, the time the boys told the story, the time the sitter ran next door to tell her father, and the time the sitter's father made the call.

That's true, I'm just thinking about how difficult it would have been for the perp to walk through the fields (and to who knows where) because there isn't much down that driveway (except for the farm).

That's true, I'm just thinking about how difficult it would have been for the perp to walk through the fields (and to who knows where) because there isn't much down that driveway (except for the farm).

In the pitch black night, no less.

Have you ever tried to walk in the pitch black across fields? I walk in my backyard at night and I know it. I still bump into stuff and get confused where I am going and I have some solar lights out there. I would say it is just about impossible.

In the recent investigation, barrels from the farm were also taken. Wonder if they think a body could have been burned inside one of those instead of in the wood boiler/heater, or the ash was transported to the pile in the barrels.

I'm feeling cynical today but I know we can't give up on Jacob. I can't imagine how the Wetterlings have survived all these years. It breaks my heart for all of them. Is it reasonable to think LE can tie DR to this crime after all these years?

IF DR was the perp, then I doubt JW would have been his last victim. In fact, he would have felt more confident he could get away with it. It's one reason I'm curious about his travels since school & running activities would have given him many opportunities I think. I'm new to this so I don't know how to go about it but I'm wondering if there's a way to trace him to areas other boys went missing. If he could be tied to something more recent then maybe it would be easier to connect him to Jacob. It would be interesting to know if LE had taken his computer to search. Sorry, I'm just feeling stuck.

Also I've never been able to get it out of my head that Jared mentioned seeing a distinctive light overhead where his abductor took him. I can't help feeling there's a great deal of significance to that.

SNIPPED...
Also I've never been able to get it out of my head that Jared mentioned seeing a distinctive light overhead where his abductor took him. I can't help feeling there's a great deal of significance to that.

I don't know that the light was overhead... See below.

Jared was finally able to lead authorities to the right location when he recognized a distinctive light at a nearby farm.
"Where you see the silo there, there was a distinguished light I remember from that night while I was looking out the window," Jared recalled.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=63324

So, where is this nearby farm? (This doesn't mean the farm family was involved.) Why not tell this info to the public?

I don't know that the light was overhead... See below.

Jared was finally able to lead authorities to the right location when he recognized a distinctive light at a nearby farm.
"Where you see the silo there, there was a distinguished light I remember from that night while I was looking out the window," Jared recalled.

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=63324

So, where is this nearby farm? (This doesn't mean the farm family was involved.) Why not tell this info to the public?

Sorry I wasn't clear in my meaning. I was thinking as in from Jared's perspective he would have looked up to see the light. I realize there are many farms in the community and it possibly means nothing. I just thought it would be logical a perp would take his victim to somewhere he felt secure & knew he wouldn't have to worry about any one coming around.

If LE knows this location (I assume they do) I don't know why they haven't given out the info unless it was discounted or they are keeping it quiet for purposes of building a case.

I'd like to know if the actual rape happened in Cold Spring or a nearby community. So many unanswered questions.

the farm connection is a critical one I feel. I am sure they must have checked out farm hands that were hired.

I think that they did because they discovered that perv at the chicken ranch, I believe it was in a town by there. I think it started with the letter "P".

I still can't figure out why there would be a perv at that time right there.

The chicken ranch perv was grooming the kids.

Sorry I wasn't clear in my meaning. I was thinking as in from Jared's perspective he would have looked up to see the light. I realize there are many farms in the community and it possibly means nothing. I just thought it would be logical a perp would take his victim to somewhere he felt secure & knew he wouldn't have to worry about any one coming around.

If LE knows this location (I assume they do) I don't know why they haven't given out the info unless it was discounted or they are keeping it quiet for purposes of building a case.

I'm sure LE knows and they are keeping it quiet to build their case. They probably know plenty we don't know, which is why they could name DR a POI and we can just wonder. It'd be interesting to drive the back roads between Cold Spring and St. Joe and see if there are any "odd" lights on silos. Although maybe it's been removed by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member