MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I would think it would be a critical piece of information to find out from Kevin about the police officer. He seems to want to help. Can he be hypnotized?

How do we know this police officer wasn't a security guard or a campus police officer, or whatever?

http://www.joybaker.com/category/jacob/page/5/

On this page, the blogger has a write up of the interview done recently with Kevin. Here is a quote. I've bolded an important part of the quote.

"Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet.

Kevin: “He said, yeh we know all about that. I know about the bikes. And that was it. It was like I was bothering him. We backed out and left and that was it.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t take your name or phone number.”

Kevin: “He didn’t take my name.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t ask, did you see a man lurking around?”

Kevin: “Didn’t ask me a thing.”

Ok so Kevin saw the squad car zoom past his house, and tried to follow it. Got there before there was crime scene tape up, and backed out, THEN spoke with "an officer" who appeared to behave as though he was being bothered.....

Kevin says "we backed out" - was someone else with him when he went to the scene? If so - who? Is this how police verified his story?

He got to the scene before there was crime scene tape up. So what time did he arrive? If he heard it on the scanner, and saw LE car speed by his own house, then he was there pretty fast.

It sounds like he left the scene, and THEN spoke with "an officer" who was not interested in his name or other information -- HOW SURE IS KEVIN THAT WHOMEVER HE SPOKE TO WAS AN ACTUAL OFFICER and NOT THE ABDUCTOR???????

It certainly SEEMS to me that Kevin could well have talked directly to the abductor! I sure wish we had more information about his encounter with the guy! Specifically, I would like to know:

-> what time did Kevin arrive at the scene?
-> where specifically did he encounter the 'officer' who failed to take his name or other pertinent details?
-> did Kevin see a car (belonging to the 'officer')? If the man posed as an officer, it would explain why he was wearing all dark clothes and had a gun. Did Kevin see a badge?
-> Who else was with Kevin? He says WE drove away. This directly implies someone else was with him when this happened. Who was it - have they been interviewed?

I'm going to get back to our discussion in awhile.

Here's a question I need answered:

When did the investigation get turned over to Sheriff Sanner?

I'm going to get back to our discussion in awhile.

Here's a question I need answered:

When did the investigation get turned over to Sheriff Sanner?

I don't know -- but now that you ask... I think I'm going to try to find out! I will probably be gone until later tonight..... but I'll see what I can find between now and then.

On the blood on the trunk, they may have just seen it also. But my guess would be luminol.

I found an interesting blog page on Jacob while searching just now. I don't know who this "Joy" is, her about me says she's a mom from MN. I'm thinking if she isn't already here under a different posting name, we should invite her here, she has several interesting theories. The portion of her page that got my attention, was where she has pictures posted from a driving tour she took to St. Joe. She drove down the road that Jacob was abducted on and she took photos as she was driving. It's a good look at the land for those of you not from around here. Even 21 years later, it's still pretty desolate and rural out there.
http://www.joybaker.com/category/jacob/page/3/
(Scroll down on page for pics of driving tour)
Something else she found at our local library was the next day (Oct. 23rd) local paper after Jacob was taken. (Photo below.) What caught my eye was a separate article about some St. Ben's college students who had camped out overnight in tents made out of cardboard for one of those homeless support type events. There is a picture of the students in their tents, and they are right in front of St. Ben's. (St. Ben's is now part of St. John's University, back then it was separate I believe - not sure.) This is approx. 1/2 to 3/4 mile from DR's farm if you go cross country. I wonder if they ever interviewed any of those girls to see if they saw anything out of the ordinary that night?

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...g-neighbor-in-2004-fox-9-report-june-30-2010#

This video has been posted here several times and is also in the blog.

A few things are in my mind after watching the video again:

1) I assume the search footage is from 1989. You see searchers riding ATV's. We've questioned in the past, if an ATV was the getaway vehicle for the abductor.

2) Wonder if Kevin remembered what the police officer looked like who seemed to brush him off? That officer never mentioned Kevin. That's suspicious as they say. However, the officer has never been ID'ed, while Kevin has.

3) A websleuth here posted early on that Rassier does have a deep, gravelly type voice in this video.

Major discrepancy between the two videos... In the Julie Nelson interview Part One of (posted on the Joy Baker site) Rassier says he did not go back to bed but instead searched his property and went to bed very late. However, in the Twin City interview he says he went back to bed, what was he to do, he wasn't going to waste time...

Major discrepancy between the two videos... In the Julie Nelson interview Part One of (posted on the Joy Baker site) Rassier says he did not go back to bed but instead searched his property and went to bed very late. However, in the Twin City interview he says he went back to bed, what was he to do, he wasn't going to waste time...

I noticed the discrepancy too, as did several other members of the board. It sure makes one wonder which is the truth!!

Hard to believe they didn't search this guy's property until five days after JW went missing!! You would think this would be the FIRST place they looked through!! So why didn't they? Did they ask to search his property? Did he DENY them entry without a warrant?? If he has cooperated with interviews, hypnosis and polygraph testing previously, it would be hard to think he'd have denied them entry to his home that night had they asked for it.

The Joybaker blog and the video and the 2004 clip that concentric provided are very good references for anyone trying to understand the case. The problem is that none of the interviews with DR involve a detailed, start to finish account of what he did and saw that night. In one interview he gives a brief two sentence account but on another he appears to be saying he did things he did not mention in the earlier clip. It is hard to tell if there are discrepancies. Presumably he has given statements to LE that would have pinned him down to details and flushed out any real discrepancies.

In one interview, he says that he reported to the police that he saw a car "turning around" in his driveway around the time of the abduction. In another interview he says he called 911 to "find out what was going on" but doesn't mention the car. It's not clear to me whether anyone from LE except the 911 dispatcher even spoke to him that night. Still, LE would have records of exactly what happened. For anyone to pass judgment on him based on his actions and behavior that night, we need a accurate account of what really happened not just a few snippets of what he recalls or might think important 15 or 21 years later.

A problem for anyone trying to make sense of this is that all news accounts that are readily available seen to start with 2004 and the "re-thinking" of the case after Kevin came forward. Apparently LE had been operating on the assumption that the abductor left in a vehicle. We don't exactly what the bases for this were. There may have been tire prints that are now thought to have belonged to Kevin but there should have been plenty of tire prints since DR would have used that driveway daily. Apparently footprints of Jacob and the tracker dog trail went about 40 yards up the driveway and ended. (The distance from the road to the farm is over 400 yards). This would possibly be a distance that would make the car not visible from the road.

Kevin reported that he heard the report on his scanner and saw a patrol car go in that direction, so he went too. Kevin does not explain why he believed the man he spoke to was a cop but since he was essentially following a patrol car to the site, and then describes a conversation with a "policeman" with no other qualification or explanation, I would assume that he assumed the patrolman was the one he had been following. Now Kevin apparently pulled into DR's driveway but I don't think he went 40 yards up it (or did he, seeking a "turn-around").

DR's farmhouse is apparently not visible from the road (per Joybaker). That would mean the road is not visible from the farm house. I would think DR would not have been able to see Kevin "turn around" (unless he drove further up the driveway) So I think it would be very interesting to know exactly what DR said he saw when he reported the car "turning around" in his driveway.

I believe the perp noticed the boys going to the Tom Thumb and guessed where they had come from and figured out they would be returning soon (it was after dark so they wouldn't just be riding around). He parked far enough up DR's driveway so the car wouldn't be seen from the road, put on his mask and "laid in wait". Once he had Jacob, he went back to the car. The boys ran south on 91st and would not have seen the car. Whatever the perp did then, he did not drive south on (91 past the running boys.

This scenario does not exclude DR since he could have been driving or jogging when he saw the boys (he could not have seen them from the farmhouse). Kidnapping a child while leaving two witnesses right in front of your own home would be extremely brazen but that doesn’t prove he didn't do it; he could have gotten lucky. Still, I think it is far more likely it was done by the same guy that did the Cold Spring abduction.

OK. I found the answer to my own question.

This article provides the info. I needed about when Sheriff Sanner started investigating Jacob's case.

Sanner, now a 56-year-old grandfather, was a 35-year-old newly promoted sergeant at the time of the kidnapping.

He didn't get called to the scene. In fact, he wasn't assigned to the case until he became a detective two years later.

http://www.startribune.com/local/103212339.html

From Kemo: "A problem for anyone trying to make sense of this is that all news accounts that are readily available seen to start with 2004 and the "re-thinking" of the case after Kevin came forward. Apparently LE had been operating on the assumption that the abductor left in a vehicle. We don't exactly what the bases for this were."

Kemo: LE figured there was a car because DR told them he'd seen a car turn around in his driveway and speed away. And there were tire tracks form a car driving in and turning around, right next to Jacob's footprint. They also thought it was tied to the Cold Spring case of Jared where the abductor had a car.

There are still a couple news articles available online from 1989:
From 12/15/89
http://www.startribune.com/templates/Print_This_Story?sid=11579041
"Then he snatched Jacob and presumably took off in a vehicle, although the other boys did not see one."
_________

margaret: The only reason I can think of why they didn't search the home that night was because they were sure Jacob had been taken by a stranger in a car. They were misled by DR telling them he saw a car, and there were tire tracks. (Nevertheless, I do agree it was a botched investigation - and LE has admitted that also.) These were small town and county LE, not used to dealing with anything like an abduction, and then they called in the FBI and so many agencies who weren't necessarily communicating all that well, so things got overlooked.

I don't think sirens were used. When the neighbor is on the 911 call, he stays on until cops arrive, and you do not hear any sirens approaching. He goes out and waves at the cop car. Video of original 911 call here (Under "in their own words"):
http://www.sctimes.com/section/wetterling

It was late Sunday night, and a small town, I'm sure they didn't want to alarm everyone with sirens. Even Aaron said later he thought Jacob would show up eventually. I don't think anyone realized that night how serious this was.
concentric: Kevin says in his interview he followed the police car there. So it had to be a real cop, IMO. It could be the cop was abrupt with him because they did not want any gawkers there. I've always figured whoever the cop was who talked to Kevin, he was probably let go after they found this all out in 2004, and that's why his name has never been released. Good question though, it would be nice if they'd say in an article, although I can understand why they wouldn't publish this cop's name. Of course your comment: "Worse, what if the abductor WAS an actual police officer??" is always a possibility also.

From the sheriff: "John Sanner, Stearns County Sheriff: If hindsight teaches us anything, it’s to not lose focus of that local piece when you’re doing everything else. Very early on in this investigation, we became a national clearing house for information regarding missing and exploited children. We looked at any case that involved a missing child anywhere in the United States and Canada, hoping for a connection. We lost the local piece pretty quickly.
I look at this case as a huge failure both for the entire law-enforcement community and for this agency. We weren’t able to provide answers to the family or the community, and we still have a detective assigned to the case. We truly are the only hope the Wetterlings and the community has to get answers. We have made a commitment to ourselves, every single one of us here, to not let them down.
We have developed a few local suspects. Some, of course, we like better than others."

From the FBI: "Al Garber: We tried as hard as I’ve ever seen a group of cops and agents try and we couldn’t find out who did it and that’s pretty unusual. Usually, people do talk about what they’ve done. Sometimes it takes them a long, long time, but eventually somebody talks and that’s the way that crimes are solved. Nobody who could lead us to Jacob or the kidnapper talked and that leads me to believe that the criminal is either extremely unusual or dead."
http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/med...race/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

DR's continued insistence in those interviews with Julie Nelson that "I know what I saw" - I wish he'd just say what he thinks he saw, unless LE has asked him not to. He seems assured they'll be talking to him again and he can give them more pointers.

This is from an interview DR did with the St. Joseph News Leader paper on what he saw:
St. Joseph News
View Archives RSS FEED

‘Person of interest’ says he witnessed ‘things’

On the late autumn day of the evening Jacob Wetterling was abducted, a nearby neighbor, Dan Rassier, said he “witnessed” many peculiar things in the area southeast of St. Joseph.

The day was Sunday, Oct. 22, 1989.

Next day, once Rassier became aware of Jacob’s abduction, the “things” he saw coalesced in his mind as vital connections pointing the way to solving the crime.

Rassier spoke of his frustration in a lengthy July 3 telephone interview with the St. Joseph Newsleader. He is frustrated, he said, because nobody has followed through with the information he so willingly shared about the “things” he saw that day. Rassier, citing “trust issues” with the media, declined to divulge the kinds of things he saw, although, when questioned further, he did more or less agree those “things” were people and/or vehicles. Rassier said he spent a good part of that day jogging on the road past the Delwin Ballroom, where a polka fest was taking place, and on his neighborhood roads, including the one on which Jacob was abducted, just before darkness fell. Jacob was taken on that road (91st Avenue) right at the spot where it intersects with the long driveway to the Robert and Rita Rassier farm.

Rassier said he “witnessed” things throughout that entire day and into the early evening. When he was not jogging, he spent all of the time at home Oct. 22. At that time - as now - Rassier has lived with his parents.

Another reason Rassier cited for not divulging details about the things he saw is because he does not want to tip off anyone guilty of the abduction.

“I am an innocent witness to what happened,” he said. “But I definitely saw something. All of the investigators know the information I told them.”

Rassier has a vivid memory of that autumn day of two decades ago when 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling, his brother and a friend had gone to the Tom Thumb convenience store to get some treats and a video. While returning home on the rural township road, a masked gunman stopped the boys. He told the brother and the friend to run into the woods. When the boys looked back from the woods, Jacob and the man were gone.

From the beginning, Dan Rassier was one of many people questioned by law enforcement.

“I was completely cooperative with them,” Rassier said. “They gave me all kinds of tests, including a lie-detector test. I told them about what I’d witnessed.”

Now, 20 years later, Rassier is yet again a “person of interest” by law enforcement. Last week, a variety of law-enforcement agenices, including the F.B.I., converged in force on the Rassier farm, confiscating some unspecified items and digging up earth from a gravel bed and then trucking it from the farm. Authorities have been tight-lipped about the reason for the raid and about confiscated items, saying only that the search of the farm was precipitated by a court order.

Rassier vigorously denies having anything to do with the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling.

“Yes, this is very tough,” Rassier said. “It’s a nightmare, but it’s nothing next to losing a son (Jacob). I’ve been getting a lot of death threats. I can handle this, but what worries me is my parents. It’s so hard on them. They (media) are saying horrible things about us. They are ruining our lives.”

On a bright side, Rassier noted, he and his parents are receiving a lot of cards, letters and calls of support and sympathy from friends, relatives and well-wishers.

Rassier, 54, is a music-band teacher for the Cold Spring/Rocori School District. He is also an avid runner who has participated in countless marathons during the past few decades.

Posted on Thursday, July 8, 2010 by Dennis Dalman (This article is no longer online.)

concentric: Kevin says in his interview he followed the police car there. So it had to be a real cop, IMO. It could be the cop was abrupt with him because they did not want any gawkers there. I've always figured whoever the cop was who talked to Kevin, he was probably let go after they found this all out in 2004, and that's why his name has never been released. Good question though, it would be nice if they'd say in an article, although I can understand why they wouldn't publish this cop's name. Of course your comment: "Worse, what if the abductor WAS an actual police officer??" is always a possibility also.

Snipped for brevity by me.

Shergal,
Below is the rest of the quote from Kevin (which I found on the aforementioned blog)

"Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet. He drove away and told a police officer what he’d seen"

According to the quote from Kevin - he was there so fast that there was no police tape up around the bikes and scooter yet. He then DROVE AWAY and THEN told a police officer what he'd seen.

So where exactly did Kevin drive away TO before he encountered a police officer? I just want to know what made him so sure that the man he spoke with was an actual police officer?? It would horrific to think that the abductor was an officer... buts its equally horrific to know that its possible Kevin DID speak that night to a police officer who didn't even bother to take his name down / document the event given the gravity and seriousness of the situation!!

Kevin went on to say by the way that he could have been the abductor, and the police would never have found him because they didn't ask him any questions / or take his information down that night - and sadly, he is absolutely right!!

I don't think anyone was fired in 2004 when the info came out finally about Kevin -- because it seems very clear that no one KNEW about Kevin until 2004! How could they fire someone, if they don't know who Kevin spoke with (given the lack of records from the encounter?).

I suppose police could have verified Kevin's story if:
-> Kevin had a witness in the car (he stated "we" drove away in his media interview).

-> Police might have gone back to the night of the crime in their records when Kevin came forward in 2004, and determined which officer(s) were first on scene at the DR farm, and questioned them at that time. One of them might have admitted to the flub, or been identified by Kevin?

-> But its possible too that the officer in question no longer works for the force (might have retired, quit, moved jurisdiction, died) so might have been hard to verify through the officer directly whether Kevin's story was legit. And since it was so long ago, I'm not so sure they'd axe someone so many years after the fact. I wish they'd just tell us how they verified Kevin's story so we could all know for sure!

I really think they verified it with the officer who first arrived on scene at the DR farmhouse that night -- otherwise, how else could Kevin now be ruled out completely as being involved??

Well, for one thing Kevin was only 21. So he wouldn't fit the boy's description of someone older. I've never seen pics of Kevin, but maybe he was shorter or had other bodily differences that would rule him out? I did read somewhere that his family all verified he had been home listening to the scanner and they saw him leave. But I don't remember where I read that. Or maybe he did have someone with him. He was definitely ruled out tho. Someday if it's ever solved, maybe we'll get all the details cops know that we don't.

Listening to the clip of Kevin describing what happened in 1989, I admit that I am a little confused. I am operating on the assumption that the St Joseph PD are minimally competent and they did pin Kevin down to whether the "cop" who told him to leave was wearing a patrolman's uniform, had a patrol car parked nearby etc. Realistically, he must have said more than the 30 seconds or so that the news clips shows.

The same with DR's account. What matters isn't what some newspaper or TV station posts on their web site, it’s what he told the police the night this all went down and during the following week.

At some point DR informed LE that he saw a car "turn around" in his driveway. We do not know the context of this report. This report could be an eyewitness account of the kidnapping or it could have been a "red herring" by the perp to "redirect" the investigation. It is possible that he just saw Kevin or someone else associated with the responds (but I am inclined to doubt it because the road was not visible from the house).

Anyone reading the Star Tribune article (thank you Shergal) would get the impression that LE was operating on the assumption that the guy that did the Cold Springs abduction also did Jacob's abduction. It even discloses that that someone fitting that description "resembles an earlier sketch of a man wanted for questioning for following or otherwise bothering youngsters in the area." This unsub (unknown subject) did not resemble DR at all. Assuming that both crimes were committed by the same perp, it is unlikely they will be solved. If no one recognized him 20 years ago, they are unlikely to now.

In the meantime, DR will live under a shadow of suspicion. If he is guilty, of course he deserves far worse than a few dirty looks from neighbors but if he isn't,?

Here's another article from 1989 from People magazine. They did think back then it was the same guy who had grabbed Jared in Cold Spring. Jared is the one who guided the sketch of the younger looking man with the cap - even though Jared didn't get a very good look at him. The older man was a sketch of the man seen in Tom Thumb.

Orig. People Mag. Article from 1989 on Jacob
From PEOPLE magazine Nov. 20, 1989

November 20, 1989 Vol. 32 No. 21A Town Prays for a Missing SonBy William Plummer, Margaret Nelson
Shaken but United, the People of St. Joseph, Minn., Rally Around the Family of a Kidnapped Boy

St. Joseph was a quiet, rural town of 3,100 people in central Minnesota—a place where children rode their bikes to school, played without fear in the streets and fields and came home to houses where the doors were never locked. Then three weeks ago the unimaginable happened: Eleven-year-old Jacob Wetterling, the bright-eyed son of one of St Joseph's best-liked families, was abducted while riding his bike near his house by a masked man with a gun.

The kidnapping has cast a pall over the town, which is about 80 miles northwest of Minneapolis. The schools' bike racks are empty, and apprehensive residents are watching their children as never before. But the town has not curled up in fear; quite the opposite has happened in St Joseph—indeed, in all Minnesota. "We're sending a message," says Patty Wetterling, Jacob's mother. "You can't do this in Minnesota. You can't take our children."

It seems as if the entire state has taken Jacob to heart and made up its mind to bring him home. At the behest of Gov. Rudy Perpich, the National Guard, abetted by state and local investigators, has conducted the largest ground search in Minnesota history. But it is the efforts of the common folk that have been most uncommon and moving. Jacob's picture is everywhere—in store windows, gas stations and on local TV screens; Minnesota Vikings have even worn caps bearing his name at football games. Minnesotans are holding prayer sessions and wearing white ribbons on their arms—symbolizing "Jacob's hope." A group of Minneapolis business executives offered a reward of $100,000 for Jacob's safe return, and the figure has been matched by the Lions Club in nearby Richmond. "When I heard about the kidnapping, something clicked in me," says Vern Iverson, 41, an Elk River chemist with two children, who has worked the phones on the Wetterlings' behalf 15 hours a day. "I had to help. Every parent sees their children in Jacob. It's terrifying to people to have this happen here."

But it did happen, on Oct. 22. It was after 9 P.M. when Jacob, his brother, Trevor, 10, and a friend, Aaron Larson, 11, were coming home from a Tom Thumb convenience store, where they'd rented the video of The Naked Gun. Patty Wetterling, 40, and her husband, Jerry, 41, were at a party when the boys called to ask if they could make the one-mile trip to the store, and Patty wasn't going to let them do it. "But then they called back," Patty remembers, "and Jerry said they could if they wore reflective clothing, carried a flashlight and all stayed together. We thought we were protecting them from everything."

The Wetterlings never imagined that a man in a mask would be waiting for the boys in the dark of their dead-end street and order them off their bikes at gunpoint. Visiting the scene for the first time since the abduction, Patty breaks down as Jerry describes what happened. "He told them to lie face down in the gutter," says Jerry. "Then he asked them their ages. He told Trevor to run into the field or he'd shoot. Then he had Aaron turn over, and he looked at his face and told him to run. He grabbed hold of Jacob." The two boys ran the remaining half mile to the Wetterlings' house, where Rochelle Jerzak, a neighbor who was baby-sitting Jacob's sister Carmen, 8 (Jacob's older sister Amy, 13, was visiting a friend), called home. Rochelle's father, Merle, dialed 911 and then called the Wetterlings—thereby setting in motion the extraordinary effort to get Jacob back.

By 10 P.M. police were already combing the site, and Stearns County Sheriff Charlie Grafft had called in a state police helicopter to join the town's volunteer fire department in the search. By midnight the FBI was on the case. Meanwhile, Patty was calling her neighbors, and Jerry was contacting his fellow members of the pacifist Baha'i faith, who started a telephone prayer tree. After hearing the news, Iverson arrived at the Wetterling house at 1:30 A.M. and just after dawn started phoning the local radio and TV stations. "We wanted people to know right away in the morning," Patty says, "so they could be looking for Jacob on their way to work." By 11 A.M., reporters were arriving on the scene en masse, and the abduction was blossoming into a full-scale media event.

Before long everyone within hailing distance seemed to be joining in. St. Joseph pharmacist Ken Twit, with the help of town bank officials and a group of local residents, started Friends of Jacob Wetterling, which mustered $25,000 in reward money and put together the first posters with the boy's picture. Folksinger Red Grammer arrived from Chester, N.Y., to sing Jacob's favorite song, "Listen," at the St. Joseph elementary school. The St. Paul-based 3M Company flew in cartons of white ribbons. And Governor Perpich arrived at the Wetterling house and said, "What do you need? All you have to do is ask."

What the Wetterlings needed, of course, was their son back—which may not be an impossible wish. Though they have yet to apprehend any suspects, investigators say the information they have pieced together suggests the kidnapper, who they believe is an area man, is not out to murder the boy. "If we didn't think he was alive, we wouldn't be working at this pace," says FBI agent Byron Gigler, who has been putting in 15-hour days on the case. Gigler says that new and promising leads are pouring in daily; the FBI recently released composite drawings of two men, one of whom was seen in the Tom Thumb store minutes before the abduction. "I sit here every day with a roomful of experienced investigators, and I've never heard a negative word," says Gigler. "We look forward to a happy ending, to bringing Jacob home."

So, of course, do the Wetterlings. The local chiropractor for 13 years, Jerry is a former head of the St. Joseph Chamber of Commerce and the current president of the NAACP in St. Cloud. He and Patty, a homemaker and PTA president, have each found a way of coping with the crisis. A doer, Jerry spends most of his time on the phone with volunteers. Although he says he has cried more in the last two weeks than he has in his whole life, he doesn't let his emotion show publicly.

Patty, on the other hand, hides little. A diabetic, she has had trouble sleeping and eating, and the strain of keeping her vigil has seemed overwhelming at times. When it is all too much, she says, "I go for a walk or go into my room and talk to Jake." Patty has been buoyed by the prayer sessions held around St. Joseph and by the support extended by friends, neighbors and police. Two weeks ago the assorted FBI agents and local police who have frequented the Wetterling house got together and sent Patty flowers for her 40th birthday. "They keep me going," says Patty. "They say they're going to bring Jacob home. I hold onto that. I have to believe them."

—William Plummer, Margaret Nelson in St. Joseph

http://www.people.com/people/archive/art...http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,201159

Well, for one thing Kevin was only 21. So he wouldn't fit the boy's description of someone older. I've never seen pics of Kevin, but maybe he was shorter or had other bodily differences that would rule him out? I did read somewhere that his family all verified he had been home listening to the scanner and they saw him leave. But I don't remember where I read that. Or maybe he did have someone with him. He was definitely ruled out tho. Someday if it's ever solved, maybe we'll get all the details cops know that we don't.

shergal, we aren't questioning that Kevin was involved, we are wondering about: the "police officer."

I think that the public needs to know who the "police officer" was and why he didn't report what Kevin witnessed.

Anyone, including Sheriff Sanner, can speculate why the "police officer" didn't report it. That just doesn't answer the question.

Here's another article from 1989 from People magazine. They did think back then it was the same guy who had grabbed Jared in Cold Spring. Jared is the one who guided the sketch of the younger looking man with the cap - even though Jared didn't get a very good look at him. The older man was a sketch of the man seen in Tom Thumb.

http://www.people.com/people/archive/art...http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,201159

Can you tell me where this article mentions Jared's abduction? Thanks. Maybe I overlooked that segment of the article. And, BTW, I appreciate all of your work on this case.

Can you tell me where this article mentions Jared's abduction? Thanks. Maybe I overlooked that segment of the article. And, BTW, I appreciate all of your work on this case.

I was referring to this part that I bolded...

Though they have yet to apprehend any suspects, investigators say the information they have pieced together suggests the kidnapper, who they believe is an area man, is not out to murder the boy. "If we didn't think he was alive, we wouldn't be working at this pace," says FBI agent Byron Gigler, who has been putting in 15-hour days on the case. Gigler says that new and promising leads are pouring in daily; the FBI recently released composite drawings of two men, one of whom was seen in the Tom Thumb store minutes before the abduction.

They thought it was an area man who was not out to murder the boy, because Jared had been let go. (I gleaned this from other articles also, not just this one, sorry to be confusing.) And they mention the 2 sketches. Jared did the one sketch of the younger guy in a cap. The older guy sketch was drawn by people who saw the guy at the Tom Thumb. Trevor and Aaron didn't really see much of anything of the abductor's face. He had a dark ski mask on. (This was confirmed by Sanner on NG the other night. It was not a black nylon mask as we had thought for a long time.)

I was watching Nancy Grace Missing last night and they had a blurb that since they aired Jacob Wetterling's story, there have been 11 new tips.

Bumping for Jacob.

STS: Did you ever get any more info from Ben or anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14