MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a bad dream about this case last night. Very creepy and I woke up and went to check on both my kids as they were sleeping.

I do think it is wierd that DR has lived with his parents his whole life. No normal person does that and his parents are huge enablers for allowing him too. Also quite the coincidence Jacob was kidnapped near the property and when his parents were in Europe. I think police dropped the ball and did not search the house and property thorough enough right after the abduction. His actions after the kidnapping are strange. Who goes back to bed after hearing a boy was abducted right down the road from your house? That would give me the super creeps. This is the one case I would like closure for.

I had a bad dream about this case last night. Very creepy and I woke up and went to check on both my kids as they were sleeping.

I do think it is wierd that DR has lived with his parents his whole life. No normal person does that and his parents are huge enablers for allowing him too. Also quite the coincidence Jacob was kidnapped near the property and when his parents were in Europe. I think police dropped the ball and did not search the house and property thorough enough right after the abduction. His actions after the kidnapping are strange. Who goes back to bed after hearing a boy was abducted right down the road from your house? That would give me the super creeps. This is the one case I would like closure for.

I agree the police should have searched the property, but the family was well-respected, which is most likely why it wasn't done. However, subsequent searches have found nothing re: body disposal, so I'm assuming DR is innocent.

As to living with parents, hey, it's done. I have a 61 yr old male friend who has always lived with "mom." DR, I believe, lived in a separate section of the house, not directly with his parents.

Did anyone find out the name of the girl that was working at Tom Thumb that evening? We know that her sister was Rochelle, the babysitter, and her dad was Merlyn, who called 911. I looked up the family on ancestry.com and I was able to find a brother, born in 1971, but no record of a sister. Is it possible that it was really Rochelle's brother who was working that night, and due to the passage of time, the information got mixed up? I'm not sure why I can't find any record of her on ancestry.com---her name and birthday---but I am horrible at using their search engine.

According to ancestry.com, Rochelle has a brother who was 17 at the time. Is it possible that the brother found out that the boys had gone to Tom Thumb through his sister, and either directly or indirectly, told someone about the trip who used it to his advantage? I would really like to find out what the brother was doing that night. Who was he with? Did Rochelle tell him about the trip, and did the brother tell anyone? I don't think the brother or anyone around his age was involved, but it's possible that he could have told a friend, who told his Dad, who went out...

It would also be interesting to know how long it was between the phone call to his parents at the party and when the children finally set off to the store. As it does sound like the noise one of the children heard could have been someone who'd just got there, but who wasn't prepared enough to attempt the abduction until the children came back. If it was only a very short time then it could possibly be right that it was the guy who lived in the house nearby who was out there for some other reason, spotted the kids and acted on the spare of the moment knowing they'd be coming back that way.

It would also be interesting to know how long it was between the phone call to his parents at the party and when the children finally set off to the store. As it does sound like the noise one of the children heard could have been someone who'd just got there, but who wasn't prepared enough to attempt the abduction until the children came back. If it was only a very short time then it could possibly be right that it was the guy who lived in the house nearby who was out there for some other reason, spotted the kids and acted on the spare of the moment knowing they'd be coming back that way.

I assume your reference is to Daniel Rassier. Although not initially searched, the property where he lives has been searched three times. After the latest massive dump truck search in 2010 the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension turned up no evidence that would lead to an arrest or solve the case. Rassier has been interviewed several times, has taken lie detector tests, and has given DNA. He has never been accused of a sexual crime (or any crime).

If Rassier did this crime, he's the smartest guy ever to foil LE, since even modern technology has failed to incriminate him.

I've wondered if something had been found how LE could connect it to DR and not to someone else. The property is a large farm.

I can't believe this case hasn't been solved yet. I wonder if DR is connected somehow to the people who took Jacob. He seems like he is holding back some information for someone.

Jacob was abducted by a mask gun man. I am quite sure he was stalked before he was abducted. I have also believed that since the abductor was asking the boys their age, that he may have taken jacob to be sold into illegal adoption agencies or a child human trafficking ring ( much like Johnny Gosch was).
I think his abduction could be related to the disappearances of Iowa boys Johnny Gosch, Eugene Martin, Marc Warren Allen and maybe Guy Heckle. All these boys, as well as Jacob, have been abducted, went missing ages 11-13, and are caucasian males with brown hair. All the Iowa boys went missing under similar circumstances, in or near Des Moines, IA in the '80s (with exception of Guy Heckle). I'm not saying the same person took Jacob as the Iowa boys (There is no doubt in my mind that at least those 3 boys were all abducted by the same person), but I am saying the same child trafficking ring organization is most likely responsible for his disappearance as well. (See Johnny Gosch's mother's story : Why Johnny Can't Come Home. Great story. At least she knows he is alive and most likely in hiding. Bless her).

Noreen Gosch's stories hold no credibility whatsoever. A grand jury investigated the Franklin conspiracy claims and judged them to be a carefully crafted hoax, and they have been thoroughly debunked in the Johhny Gosch threads on here too.

I don't believe there is any connection between the three disappearances in Iowa, (which was most likely the work of a serial killer), and Jacob Wetterling. More likely the man who abducted a young boy called Jared in a nearby town in January of the same year Jacob disappeared is responsible. Jared said that the man kept asking could he identify him, and when he kept saying no the man let him go. The police soon had a sketch artist work with him to produce a likeness which they circulated to all the media, and that probably made the perpetrator decide to escalate to murder with his next victim in order to avoid being identified twice.

... More likely the man who abducted a young boy called Jared in a nearby town in January of the same year Jacob disappeared is responsible. Jared said that the man kept asking could he identify him, and when he kept saying no the man let him go. The police soon had a sketch artist work with him to produce a likeness which they circulated to all the media, and that probably made the perpetrator decide to escalate to murder with his next victim in order to avoid being identified twice.

Do you have any links to that story and that sketch?

I wonder if anyone got a DNA sample from Jareds case? They must have ran a rape kit!

That could definetly rule out the main suspect.

anything's possible. i dont hold much trust in our shady government.
I live in the area Jacob was abducted by he is a local legend, I heard about the Jared lead awhile ago, not much came of it, I wish they'd investigated more, this case was kinda handled sloppy. JMO

The investigators did have 3 potential suspects originally. But they were all eliminated as suspects. (see below link) DR is the only current person of interest according to the sheriff.

May 16, 1996: Search warrants authorities thought were sealed are released to the public. The warrants reveal three potential suspects authorities considered early in the investigation: A then 60-year-old St. Joseph-area man who confessed to the kidnapping one month after it occurred. The man was later eliminated as a suspect and moved to a nursing home because he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. A St. Cloud State University student who was committed to a mental institution one week after Jacob’s abduction. The man later was eliminated as a suspect and killed himself in another state. A Paynesville-area man who fit the description of a man suspected of abducting and sexually assaulting a Cold Spring boy. Authorities searched his home three months after the Cold Spring abduction. Police then said that the man wasn’t a top suspect in the St. Joseph abduction, but at least one paragraph in the search warrant was blocked out.

http://www.globegazette.com/article_2b0e6832-84d0-11df-85ff-001cc4c03286.html

Unfortunately, I have not heard of movement in this case.

When DR's farm was last searched in 2010, there were new investigators who thought they could bring new life to the crime. The investigation did not go well for them, and it's assumed there was considerable expense for naught. Before another investigation is launched, I think investigators will be much more certain of possible evidence.

Not sure how many of you are following the Etan Patz case here on websleuths, but this excellent article that was linked on Ramos sure made me think about Jacob. The teen "RJ" who was with Ramos in Missouri - something like that could have easily happened with Jacob. You can read the article here: http://edwardklein.com/june_1991_VF_the_long_search_for_etan_patz2.pdf

The fact that they are actively digging for Etan now (only 1 block from his home) after 33 years, just makes me have hope that someday someone will find out what happened to Jacob also.

the interesting thing about the man who has now confessed to killing Etan is that it sounds like her never killed another child.

I think a lot of us wondered if a person who took Jacob could live a life without doing a similar crime. It certainly sounds like it is possible.

The investigators did have 3 potential suspects originally. But they were all eliminated as suspects. (see below link) DR is the only current person of interest according to the sheriff.

May 16, 1996: Search warrants authorities thought were sealed are released to the public. The warrants reveal three potential suspects authorities considered early in the investigation: A then 60-year-old St. Joseph-area man who confessed to the kidnapping one month after it occurred. The man was later eliminated as a suspect and moved to a nursing home because he suffered from Alzheimer’s disease. A St. Cloud State University student who was committed to a mental institution one week after Jacob’s abduction. The man later was eliminated as a suspect and killed himself in another state. A Paynesville-area man who fit the description of a man suspected of abducting and sexually assaulting a Cold Spring boy. Authorities searched his home three months after the Cold Spring abduction. Police then said that the man wasn’t a top suspect in the St. Joseph abduction, but at least one paragraph in the search warrant was blocked out.

http://www.globegazette.com/article_2b0e6832-84d0-11df-85ff-001cc4c03286.html

I wonder if the Paynesville-area suspect was Delbert Huber: http://kwlm.com/-/8842999?date=2011_11

"Delbert Huber, the elderly man accused of killing the son of one of his best friends, made news by not making news this week. Huber continues to have difficulty hiring an attorney in his 1st Degree Murder case. Because he owns land worth $300,000 he has to hire his own lawyer, but since he's in jail and doesn't have thousands of dollars in cash lying around, his neice has been working to get a loan so they can hire one from Litchfield. Huber makes his court appearances in a wheelchair and needs a hearing aid to hear the judge. He now has a significant white beard, sort of a like an anti-Santa Claus. It's interesting how the rumour mill started warming up again with this case. These rumours involve other sensational cases in the past few decades. The Larson property, where Tim Larson was shot, is next to the late Scriver Olson's property near Belgrade. Olson was murdered in his home in February of 1983 and his killer was never arrested. And Huber's neice told me that Delbert was once questioned in connection with the 1989 disappearance of Jacob Wetterling, and he always goes out of his way to deny that he had anything to do with the lad's abduction. The boys who were with Jacob described the gunman as a white male, 40 to 50 years old, husky with broad shoulders and a raspy voice. Even though the Olson case was 28 years ago, and Jacob's abduction was 22 years ago, people still remember, and they know they are still unsolved."

Prosecutors charged Delbert Huber and his son Timothy with the fatal shooting of 43-year-old Tim Larson early Saturday at Larson's parents farm in Rural Burbank Township:

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/942191/14/Charges-filed-in-murder-of-special-education-teacher-

There’s been a bizarre past on the Huber farm that had police on alert for years:
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/10/11/farmer-charged-in-shooting-has-history-with-police/

Could be. It's about 15m from Paynesville to Cold Spring and about 25 to St Joe's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member