Silver Alert MN- James Runkle, 56, North Judson, 20 Sep 2019 *endangered* *Vehicle Found*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
James Runkle, 56, is missing from North Judson. He was last seen early Friday morning driving a black 2004 Chevy Silverado pickup truck with an orange kayak in the back -- Indiana license play BLT662. He's believed to be in extreme danger and may require medical assistance.

SILVER ALERT: Missing North Judson man believed to be in extreme danger

706b39d5-fe75-4688-ad0d-980b7582d2a9-large16x9_jamesrunkle_crop1.jpg

The Starke County Sheriff's Department on FB doesn't have a post about James being missing:

Although the Knox City Police Department on FB did have a post about James:

Knox City Police Department

"Knox City Police Department
· September 21 ·

Silver Alert: Police are looking for a missing Starke County man.

If you have any information on James Runkle, contact the Starke County Sheriff’s Department at 574-772-3771, option 1 or 911.

The Starke County Sheriff’s Department is actively investigating the disappearance of 56-year-old James Runkle.

Anyone with information on the whereabouts of James or his vehicle should contact the Starke County Sheriff’s Office at 574-772-3771.

Authorities report that he was last seen at 7 a.m. on Friday, September 20th. He reportedly left the house driving his 2004 Black Chevy Silverado (IN license plate BLT662).

Runkle left with an orange kayak in the bed of his truck and said he was going fishing prior to his 1:30 p.m. doctor’s appointment in Plymouth." BBM

I am even more worried about James after reading this additional info. He was supposed to be at a doctor appointment at 1:30 pm on Friday, September 20th, the same day he left to go fishing.

SEP 23, 2019
SILVER ALERT: Police looking for Starke County man

James+Runkle.jpg

• James is 6'2" tall and 210 pounds with a bald head and brown eyes.
  • He was last seen wearing a green shirt and camouflage pants.
  • He does not have a cellphone, which has made the search more difficult.
  • Investigators have searched many locations, including waterways. They have also used airplanes.
  • "As of now, we have not had any success from the Silver Alert," chief detective Adam Gray said Monday evening.
  • "We've had multiple leads, multiple people calling in. As of now, we still have no location of Mr. Runkle."

Confirmed sighting at a gas station about 2 hours ago... This is bizarre.

Deputies: Missing man spotted in Illinois
In Post #1, it said that James was from North Judson, IN. He was spotted at a gas station is Savanna, IL (confirmed by LE). Savanna, although in Illinois, appears to be very close to the Illinois/Iowa border. Here is a map suggesting a possible route:

upload_2019-9-25_21-40-27.png
Google Maps

I hope he can be found quickly. He already has LE in two states (Indiana & Illinois) looking for him, and possibly a third (Iowa).

ETA Thanks for finding that info and link, @Roxxi3535!

This article includes a photo of JR inside the store. Both photos are timestamped Sept. 20 @ 14:13.

So, if it's about four hours from North Judson to Savanna and he was last seen at 7 a.m., there are about three hours unaccounted for. Fishing?

Police say missing 56-year-old Starke County man spotted in Illinois
56-year-old James Runkle was last seen on Friday, September 20, in North Judson around 7 a.m. The Starke County Sheriff’s Office says Runkle was spotted at a BP gas station in Savanna, Illinois on September 20, as you can see in the surveillance footage above.

kWVz3-1569446156-147165-blog-runkle2.jpg

@TatianaBarbie, I added Plymouth (the location of his Dr's appt) to your map just to see what that looked like - it's EAST of North Judson. :confused: Google Maps

Last edited:
Oh man, so what is he doing? Is he trying to disappear but doing a bad job of it? What about his medical needs, has he neglected them? This seems like weird behavior to me. Hope hes taking care of himself.

This article includes a photo of JR inside the store. Both photos are timestamped Sept. 20 @ 14:13.

So, if it's about four hours from North Judson to Savanna and he was last seen at 7 a.m., there are about three hours unaccounted for. Fishing?

Police say missing 56-year-old Starke County man spotted in Illinois
56-year-old James Runkle was last seen on Friday, September 20, in North Judson around 7 a.m. The Starke County Sheriff’s Office says Runkle was spotted at a BP gas station in Savanna, Illinois on September 20, as you can see in the surveillance footage above.

kWVz3-1569446156-147165-blog-runkle2.jpg

@TatianaBarbie, I added Plymouth (the location of his Dr's appt) to your map just to see what that looked like - it's EAST of North Judson. :confused: Google Maps

I am glad you added Plymouth, the location of his Dr's appt, to the map. It is definitely in the opposite direction of his travels. I wonder if he was not looking forward to his doctor's appointment? I have some appointments I'd rather not go to, and the thought of missing them brings me momentary joy, by I go to the appointment anyhow.

Truck found in Two Harbors, MN.

UPDATE on Jim Runkle:
On Sunday morning at approximately 2:30 am the Starke County Sheriffs Office dispatch center received a call from the Two Harbors Minnesota police department stating they had located James Runkles truck, however James was not with the truck and his kayak was not in it either. The truck was located near a public access site to Lake Superior. The Two Harbor police are attempting to locate Mr. Runkle and check his well being. At this point in the investigation, it's now a welfare check situation. As further information is obtained by our department we will pass the information along through press releases.
Sheriff Bill Dulin

Bill Dulin

Police: Missing Indiana man's truck found in Two Harbors | Lake County News Chronicle

North Judson IN to Two Harbors MN Google Maps

It's a big distance, 580+ miles. Why would James go there?

UPDATE on Jim Runkle:
On Sunday morning at approximately 2:30 am the Starke County Sheriffs Office dispatch center received a call from the Two Harbors Minnesota police department stating they had located James Runkles truck, however James was not with the truck and his kayak was not in it either. The truck was located near a public access site to Lake Superior. The Two Harbor police are attempting to locate Mr. Runkle and check his well being. At this point in the investigation, it's now a welfare check situation. As further information is obtained by our department we will pass the information along through press releases.
Sheriff Bill Dulin

Bill Dulin

Police: Missing Indiana man's truck found in Two Harbors | Lake County News Chronicle

That is really the big question, @GuyfromCanada, why would he go there? Especially when you consider he lives so close to one of the Great Lakes--Lake Michigan. It certainly appears that he might have had this destination in mind, IMO, as he was travelling near the route you showed when he was spotted in Savanna, IL. James' route increased the travel time (from the google route you showed) by two hours, and by around 60 miles:

upload_2019-9-30_1-52-35.png

I'm not familiar with any of the Great Lakes--is there something James might have preferred about Lake Superior rather than Lake Michigan? Perhaps his family used to vacation there in the past. Maybe Lake Superior is more remote, or perhaps the waves/wind make it easier to kayak in?

UPDATE on Jim Runkle:
Sheriff Bill Dulin

Bill Dulin

Wow! :confused:

And, not only was he supposed to go to Plymouth for a doctor's appointment, he was also going to pick up his granddaughters at school. MOO

OCT 8, 2019
Missing Indiana Man's Pickup Truck Found Near Two Harbors - Fox21Online
[...]

Lake County Sheriff Carey Johnson told FOX 21 Tuesday that Runkle’s pickup struck was found on Sept. 29 locked and parked at the Twin Points boat launch along Lake Superior, which is between Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse.

The orange and red kayak he left home with was not found on the vehicle.

The U.S. Coast Guard has searched the shoreline and lake by boat and by air, but never spotted a kayak.

James-Runkle-2.jpg
James-Runkle-Kayak.jpg

[...]

Where is James?

20 Sep 2019, 7 am - James' wife last saw him when he left home in North Judson, IN for 1:30 Dr appt in Plymouth. He said he was going fishing locally prior to his appt. He was also supposed to pick up his granddaughter's from school around 3 p.m.
20 Sep 2019, 2:13 pm - LE confirmed through video footage that James was seen in Savanna Illinois about 7 hours later at a BP gas station and the kayak was still in his truck. Video is timestamped 09/20/2019 14:13:45.
29 Sept 2019, 2 am - Two Harbors MN PD notified SCSO they had located his truck, however James was not with the truck and his kayak was no longer in it. The truck was locked and parked at the Twin Points boat launch along Lake Superior which is between Gooseberry Falls and Split Rock Lighthouse.
Neither Savanna IL or Two Harbors MN are on the way to or anywhere near Plymouth IN where James was supposed to see his doctor. We see him on video in Savanna at 2:12 pm – after the time of his doctor's appointment. o_O

I have a hard time believing that he would go fishing alone on Lake Superior - 11 1/2 hours away - in a kayak. Let alone without telling someone where he was going? Uh uh. How did his truck end up there? Where is his kayak?

Did he disappear on his own? Self-harm? What kind of medical condition did James have?

MOO

Last edited:
What an odd disappearance! Makes me wonder if he was meeting someone at used the kayak to get away from the launch site to another area close by? Farfetched, but possible I guess.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GFinder
Back