MN - Mother sues trans-gender child

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This would bother me, hormones are all over the place at that age, this is something a teen should be very sure about.

Because you think that such treatments are handed as freely as Oreo ?

Where did I say that? No I don't think such treatments are handed out freely, but I still believe it should not be entered into lightly, and the person involved should not be "helped along" with the decision.

Here's the thing about transitioning. It's not the same decision making process as, say, committing a crime. Trans* individuals feel from the jump that they are in the wrong body. It's not a hasty teenage decision. Every single trans* individual I've ever met has always felt they were in the wrong body.

Also, the reason it's best to transition as early as possible is precisely because of the developing hormones. Waiting until full adulthood creates ongoing problems later.

There are good reasons for starting treatment early and there are screening processes a person must go through. I have no postable words for what I think of this parent and her lawyers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well said and I couldn't agree more. Shame on all of these adults who are making this young woman's life even more difficult than it has already been!

Here's the thing about transitioning. It's not the same decision making process as, say, committing a crime. Trans* individuals feel from the jump that they are in the wrong body. It's not a hasty teenage decision. Every single trans* individual I've ever met has always felt they were in the wrong body.

Also, the reason it's best to transition as early as possible is precisely because of the developing hormones. Waiting until full adulthood creates ongoing problems later.

This is exactly right. For a male to female transition, things like a deep voice, large and prominent larynx and facial hair are very difficult or impossible to correct later. Avoiding the development of those things is much easier both physically and mentally. The mere thought of developing breast (female to male) or facial hair (male to female) for a transgender teen is terrifying!

I think I am not putting this over very well. Some young people are very certain about what they want, then go ahead. I do know of a trans who kept wondering/was this what they wanted/was it ok/get this persons opionion and then some one else. This is not a person who is sure in their mind.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. Shame on all of these adults who are making this young woman's life even more difficult than it has already been!

If you are including me in that, dont bother, I can have an opinion the same as everyone else.
And before you ask, no I am not against trans, or anyone one else.

Wow! This case has the potential to set a presidence .
I just hope that this teen is absolutely certain of her decision. There was a case here where the teen had to wait until they turned 18, and also had to complete two years of counseling before she could get her surgery. Since every state is different, I guess this teen won't have to wait as long.

My concern is as a parent we are legally responsible until a child is 18.

This state law ^^^^ seems to overwrite the 18 age. However, as I see it, it is a double edge sword on when and how the legal age of 18 is applied.

Was this person living on his own, paying rent, food, clothing? Is he paying school expenses too? Does he have a car, insurance and gasoline bills? This seems a bit much for any teen to be doing plus going through the transition stages. He/she is still a teen whose moods swing significantly.

I'm not against transitioning. I am against an agency, school board, or any outsider helping an underage teen in this major alteration of his/her life.

I think I am not putting this over very well. Some young people are very certain about what they want, then go ahead. I do know of a trans who kept wondering/was this what they wanted/was it ok/get this persons opionion and then some one else. This is not a person who is sure in their mind.

I would assume they are worried how the transition would affect their relationships and personal life. "Will I be accepted or will I lose everyone and everything I love?"

He/she is still a teen whose moods swing significantly.
Transgender transition is not done on a whim.

I'm not against transitioning. I am against an agency, school board, or any outsider helping an underage teen in this major alteration of his/her life.
A trans always knew to be in the wrong body.
If I follow your reasoning, if a parent forces an underage teen to get sterilized, you'll be ok with it just because "parents decide and know better" ? Parents can go against teen's best interests. If you have followed cases of neglect, child murders from parents, you know exactly what I mean.

An outsider helping a trans to transition acts in the teen's best interests actually.
An agency, an outsider can help a teen to get the care because it's the teen's best interest. The teen had a full evaluation : you can't transition as you'd buy Oreo at the nearest supermarket.

Was this person living on his own, paying rent, food, clothing? Is he paying school expenses too? Does he have a car, insurance and gasoline bills? This seems a bit much for any teen to be doing plus going through the transition stages.
The answer is given above . Read it carefully.
The teen cut ties with parents.
Parents didn't absolutely care about said teen.
Yes, it's a lot for the teen. But if you expect the teen to be supported by parents, you are liable to wait for life.
How about trying to help said teen, giving her the support she needs instead of giving some armchair judgment abot what a transgender lives ? You say you are not against transgenders, but what you say is actually implying that transgenders transition on a whim, they decide without being sure, it's bad when an outsider helps a trans teen to transition...
All your message smells strongly of transphobia.

To Guicy: We will have to agree to disagree. You are 1,000 % wrong in your statement that my message smells of transphobia.

Friends in my circle are from all lifestyles. They are chosen for who they are on the inside, not for or because of their selected lifestyle. I respect them and do not judge. Who am I to question them?

I even have friends that have a child born as a hermaphrodite. Talk about worry, confusion, heartbreak, making life altering decisions, this family has been through it. Today's medical science is much better than fifty years ago, however, this is a topic that still presents many challenges to physicians - the same physicians who are advising parents as to the steps they need to take to help their child.

Our world is ever changing. Many things that are accepted today would have been ostracized by my grandparents. On the same hand, can any of us imagine living without a car, growing almost all our own food, raising the meat we ate, no inside bathrooms, only cold running water in the house, and no telephone? My grandparents raised three daughters living like this. I am glad I was not born in that generation!

If hormone therapy is good for a person's physical and mental wellbeing, then wouldn't it be cruel to deny it?

"No, you can't be treated for depression, you have to wait 2 more years before we get you some help with your suicidal thoughts."
Anyone that said that to their child would be a monster. What makes this all that different?

I too am uncomfortable about major life changes like surgery, but that is on me and should not effect someone else. 15 year olds are entrusted to drive every day in all weather, and that has higher odds of ruining their life than breast implants. If someone is having trouble living with themselves, how the outside world views them is of secondary concern.

To 1,2,3 : What you say about generational differences is true.
OTOH, it doesn't prevent your statement about trans teens from smelling transphobia. Listen to Saul Vesalot's wise words, maybe you'll understand better.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back