MN MN - Peter Achermann, 82, Staples, 24 July 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I put together a 3 page reference document (attached) based on info found on this site, Help Find Peter site, and articles.

It includes a timeline, some of the search efforts, pictures, and maps (not sure of exact location of some key areas or routes taken).

Corrections welcome.

Nice job!!!!
:dance:

if I recall the sequence, the car was found about 4 miles or so away from the bridge where the vehicle was last seen. Someone who was acting in an impulsive manner to obtain a vehicle from an unsuspecting citizen probably would not take great care in disposing of that person (assuming the worst here sorry). is it possible that Peter was dumped off a bridge into a current of water and washed downstream?

We have spent considerable time as has the Sheriff's department combing the downstream areas of the river. No sign.

I put together a 3 page reference document (attached) based on info found on this site, Help Find Peter site, and articles.

It includes a timeline, some of the search efforts, pictures, and maps (not sure of exact location of some key areas or routes taken).

Corrections welcome.

Well done.

thanks Cloudajo for that summary.

There is a bridge over a river on Co Hwy 34 just after the road changes its name from Warner Road NE. I am not sure what river that is (might be the Mississippi) but it flows a few mile downriver to a man made lake, Lake Placid.

Sadly, my hunch is that Peter was dumped in that river, with the weather conditions of the day, he was swept to Lake Placid. As that lake has a dam, that's about as far as he got.

Thanks, I see that river on the map. When Norrad comes on again maybe he can say whether any water search dogs were brought in (I know many dogs were used, just not sure about water seach dogs) - do you know?

Reference:
Not all SAR dogs perform the same type of search. Some dogs are tracking (or trailing) dogs, and others are air-scent (or area-search) dogs. The types overlap, but the distinction between the two guides are the training process and how the dog participates in missions. Tracking dogs work with their nose to the ground. They follow a trail of human scent -- typically heavy skin particles that fall quickly to the ground or onto bushes -- through any type of terrain. These dogs are not searching, they're following: Tracking dogs need a "last seen" starting point, an article with the person's scent on it to work from and an uncontaminated trail.

Water - Dogs search for drowning victims by boat. When a body is under water, skin particles and gases rise to the surface, so dogs can smell a body even when it's completely immersed. Due to the movement of water currents, dogs can seldom pinpoint the exact location of the body. Typically, more than one SAR team searches the area of interest, and divers use each dog's alert point, along with water-current analysis, to estimate the most likely location of the body.

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/animal-facts/sar-dog2.htm

==================
Scent can cling or be diffused, depending on the wind, weather, terrain, or humidity. It travels differently in mountains than valleys, on rainy days than on clear days, in dry, cold air than in warm, moist air. Handlers must be aware of the differences in order to give the dog the best chance for success.

Handlers of water search dogs must also know about currents that can carry bodies and affect the diffusion of scent.

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/sandresc.html

I don't know about what types of dogs were used. I just know that there were many different dogs from many different areas. There was never a single scent trail picked up from the car.

I'm curious about the person who spotted Peter’s car – were they out looking for Peter on that old logging road when they saw the car? Also the local man who was contacted by the person who saw Peter’s car and then called the family.

Saturday, July 25, 2009
About 7:00 pm Saturday, a local man called the family and said he was told that someone saw Peter’s car stuck down a long minimum maintenance (old logging) road. The family went out to check it and it was Peter's car. Peter’s car was found abandoned, stuck in the mud on the road

(no link)

Questions about Peter’s car (see attached):

4 Door 1995 Chevrolet Station Wagon

• Both the driver’s side and passenger’s side front windows were completely down (paper and tape were later place over the open windows by LE after car was found)
  • Did the car have power or manual windows?
  • Was it Peter’s habit to drive with both windows completely down? (Weather history shows a max temp of 80 deg F with rain/thunderstorms on July 24, 2009)
  • It appears the passenger’s side mirror is missing. Was it missing prior to July 24?
  • The passenger seat looks somewhat reclined. Who last rode as a passenger in Peter’s car and do they remember if the seat was reclined like this?
  • Note that an article states that Peter’s wife’s prescription meds were found laying on the front seat of the car

Cloudajo - Excellent observations.

Sad that this thread went quiet.

Was there any information gathered based on cloudajo's observations?

Sad that this thread went quiet.

Was there any information gathered based on cloudajo's observations?

I saw a new comment and thought for sure there was some new info. on Peter - he looks like such a dear man!

I think about Peter nearly every day when I visit this forum and see all these threads.

Still hoping....

Hoppy

I still think of Peter often and wish he would be found.

thanks Cloudajo for that summary.

There is a bridge over a river on Co Hwy 34 just after the road changes its name from Warner Road NE. I am not sure what river that is (might be the Mississippi) but it flows a few mile downriver to a man made lake, Lake Placid.

Sadly, my hunch is that Peter was dumped in that river, with the weather conditions of the day, he was swept to Lake Placid. As that lake has a dam, that's about as far as he got.

not to quote myself but I noticed on a recent missing person's case, Tracy Kiebach jumped off a bridge and was swept downstream. She was found by a dam.

Here is that story:

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/251133

Not sure what might still be recoverable at this time, but I think poor Peter was thrown in that river by whomever did him harm and he too was swept downstream to that dam.

not to quote myself but I noticed on a recent missing person's case, Tracy Kiebach jumped off a bridge and was swept downstream. She was found by a dam.

Here is that story:

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/251133

Not sure what might still be recoverable at this time, but I think poor Peter was thrown in that river by whomever did him harm and he too was swept downstream to that dam.

It is the Crow Wing River. We searched it several times the first week using jet skis, helicopters and planes. And then again the second week, using jet skis, and canoes. It has been searched several times since. They were keeping an eye at the dam in case anything showed up. From that dam, it leads to the Mississippi and then several dams. Nothing has ever showed up at any of the dams yet.
Norrad

It is the Crow Wing River. We searched it several times the first week using jet skis, helicopters and planes. And then again the second week, using jet skis, and canoes. It has been searched several times since. They were keeping an eye at the dam in case anything showed up. From that dam, it leads to the Mississippi and then several dams. Nothing has ever showed up at any of the dams yet.
Norrad

Norrad, any other news you can share about the search for Peter?

I saw this thread updated and I thought, they found Peter!
But, no.
Norrad, anything new at all?
Any theories the family have?

http://wcco.com/local/missing.man.anniversary.2.1816503.html

Jul 21, 2010 10:14 am US/Central

MOTLEY, Minn. (WCCO) ― At 82, Peter Achermann wasn't known to venture far. The weekend he disappeared in July 2009 was also the same weekend his granddaughter was set to get married.

He disappeared after a trip to the grocery store. Police found his car on his granddaughter's wedding day, miles away from his home.
<snipped>

Until the family gets closure on the case, there will be no funeral. Until then, his children and more than 20 grandchildren have to wait for an answer.

I still think of Peter and his family, and hope they will find him soon.

Peter is our featured Cold Case on Websleuths this week. I pray this helps lead to a clue! :praying:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
subzero55
Back