MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fwiw, I don't see anyone advocating resisting arrest. It happens - who, other than the person resisting, knows why in that situation at that moment?

There are and should be consequences - death is not an option as an immediate consequence handed to LE for resisting arrest. Yet it happens, and they walk away as if nothing terribly traumatic happened.

This thought is in a broad term, considering there is no evidence PC was resisting anything at the moment he was shot to death.

A few people said that offenders should fight the battle in court, as opposed to fighting the officers by resisting arrest. In reply to that suggestion , someone said that lawyers were expensive, and that made it hard to fight arrests in court.

So I took that as someone implying that 'yes, indeed, it is better to resist arrest than to try and fight it later on in court.' Maybe I misunderstood the point but it seemed like that was the inference.

No, People are always advising to get a lawyer for any number of things. The cost is prohibitive even for middle class people. That is all I was talking about. The reality of a lawyer for anything

If the police are allowed to continue to set the level that is acceptable to use deadly force, I think we will see many more of these shootings. Also I think using words like executed is too strong in this case (JMO). I personally don’t believe that this officer shot this man with malice. I believe he likely gave conflicting or confusing instructions to the victim, then he panicked when he saw or heard about the gun. In saying that I don’t feel he should get off free and clear because he is a cop that “feared for his safety”. I think the bar of fearing for your safety needs to be much higher starting now. It’s going to be up to citizen groups working with the police to set that level, because I don’t think the police will do it on their own.
This case reminds me more of the case where officer Sean Groubert shot Levar Jones after he asked him for his license then Levar reached into his truck a bit to quickly for the officers liking. If Levar were your child would anyone find the officers’ actions acceptable? I don’t see this case at all like the Walter Scott case where Mr. Scott was running after what was likely a resisting arrest struggle with the officer and the officer shot him in the back when he was what looks like about 20 feet away. I have no problem calling that one an execution because I don’t see how he presented a threat to the officer at the time of the shooting. Even though he likely struggled with the officer and resisted arrest which I think was extremely crazy to do, he should not have been shot in the back. IMO, that officer should face much more serious charges then the officer in this case and I'm not saying that Mr. Castile resisted arrest in any way.

Again this is all JMO and I’m sure some will disagree with me

Fwiw, I don't see anyone advocating resisting arrest. It happens - who, other than the person resisting, knows why in that situation at that moment?

There are and should be consequences - death is not an option as an immediate consequence handed to LE for resisting arrest. Yet it happens, and they walk away as if nothing terribly traumatic happened.

This thought is in a broad term, considering there is no evidence PC was resisting anything at the moment he was shot to death.

They walk away and it's becoming apparent some Americans are just fine with police officers using their own discretion and killing citizens. When money was raised for the officer in South Carolina it seemed like a bounty. Shoot an unarmed man running away from you and get a check. What a system.

(I think the funds were never collected or given to him, but people donated and imo that says it all.)

It’s a small amount compared to the billions of dollars that police pay out every year for wrongful death lawsuits and injuries at the hands of LEOs.

This will never make sense to me. Let the cops go but pay the victims? Do they pay in cases when no charges were brought against the officers?

They walk away and it's becoming apparent some Americans are just fine with police officers using their own discretion and killing citizens. When money was raised for the officer in South Carolina it seemed like a bounty. Shoot an unarmed man running away from you and get a check. What a system.

(I think the funds were never collected or given to him, but people donated and imo that says it all.)

UBM

Yes 'some' - I'm hoping against all hope that 'some' will be the minority before long. Suspect 'some' were always the minority - others were intimidated into saying nothing for fear of being labeled anti LE - by 'some'. Jmo.

I also hope the insanity is over - all that has happened, imo is, the unstable felt empowered to step forward and recreate the havoc that is going on in their own minds against LE for the unjustified shootings they see on video. Someone said earlier on the thread for the deceased and wounded BR officers - the next one is out there. Oh yes they are - don't give them a reason to tip the balance against LE.

July 19, 2016
5:11 pm EST

Hillary Clinton said Monday she had met with the "courageous" family of Philando Castile and called for an end to the cycle of deaths involving police officers.

The presumptive Democrat nominee told the American Federation of Teachers convention in Minneapolis that the country had been "confronted with tragedy too many times recently."

"We cannot let this madness continue," she said. "This violence cannot stand."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/hil...do-castile-says-violence-cannot-stand-n612151

I wasn't sure which thread I should put this in, so I chose this one. I've said before that people are trying to come together, but it seems the negative usually get more clicks, so that's what is reported, IMO. I actually smiled when I saw this, and I haven't seen much LE news lately to smile about.
http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/176698696-story
There is hope.

It’s a small amount compared to the billions of dollars that police pay out every year for wrongful death lawsuits and injuries at the hands of LEOs.

Why should St. Paul have this financial burden when this happened in another city? And, the protests have not been aimed at the capital or legislators. In St. Paul protests have been on I-94 and at the governor's mansion. How is I-94 going to change anything? The governor has no power to change either. Only the legislators so why aren't protests being held there?

Why should St. Paul have this financial burden when this happened in another city? And, the protests have not been aimed at the capital or legislators. In St. Paul protests have been on I-94 and at the governor's mansion. How is I-94 going to change anything? The governor has no power to change either. Only the legislators so why aren't protests being held there?

Because they have a constitutional right to protest, and the city must honor the constitution. As for the financial costs, St. Paul should feel free to sue the city of Falcon Heights, to try and recover damages.

I keep reading here, and it is unbelievable to me what people think. What happened to personal responsibility? what happened to I'll work for what I have? What happened to if I commit a crime, and someone calls LE, and I resist, it probably won't end well for me? No, it's always someone else's fault that my life sucks and I want more and no one will give it to me. This is America, and I personally know people who were born into the worst circumstances that I could imagine, yet worked there way out of that and now have a life that many envy. It's all up to the individual.
I actually feel sorry for the people, sitting, waiting, for someone to give them something, do something for them, but cannot get off their butts and make an effort for themselves.
Until the mindset changes, there will be no changes.
I will continue to be polite, friendly and of assistance to people who need and deserve assistance. Problem is, I will decide who those people are, not someone else.
And don't worry, you won't see my name at the bottom of this thread anymore.
All is just MOO, if I'm still entitled to one.

I keep reading here, and it is unbelievable to me what people think. What happened to personal responsibility? what happened to I'll work for what I have? What happened to if I commit a crime, and someone calls LE, and I resist, it probably won't end well for me? No, it's always someone else's fault that my life sucks and I want more and no one will give it to me. This is America, and I personally know people who were born into the worst circumstances that I could imagine, yet worked there way out of that and now have a life that many envy. It's all up to the individual.
I actually feel sorry for the people, sitting, waiting, for someone to give them something, do something for them, but cannot get off their butts and make an effort for themselves.
I will continue to be polite, friendly and of assistance to people who need and deserve assistance. Problem is, I will decide who those people are, not someone else.

The sad thing is, we are too far down this road to ever go back. EVER. Personal responsibility as a way of life will NEVER return to this country.

If the police are allowed to continue to set the level that is acceptable to use deadly force, I think we will see many more of these shootings. Also I think using words like executed is too strong in this case (JMO). I personally don’t believe that this officer shot this man with malice. I believe he likely gave conflicting or confusing instructions to the victim, then he panicked when he saw or heard about the gun. In saying that I don’t feel he should get off free and clear because he is a cop that “feared for his safety”. I think the bar of fearing for your safety needs to be much higher starting now. It’s going to be up to citizen groups working with the police to set that level, because I don’t think the police will do it on their own.
This case reminds me more of the case where officer Sean Groubert shot Levar Jones after he asked him for his license then Levar reached into his truck a bit to quickly for the officers liking. If Levar were your child would anyone find the officers’ actions acceptable? I don’t see this case at all like the Walter Scott case where Mr. Scott was running after what was likely a resisting arrest struggle with the officer and the officer shot him in the back when he was what looks like about 20 feet away. I have no problem calling that one an execution because I don’t see how he presented a threat to the officer at the time of the shooting. Even though he likely struggled with the officer and resisted arrest which I think was extremely crazy to do, he should not have been shot in the back. IMO, that officer should face much more serious charges then the officer in this case and I'm not saying that Mr. Castile resisted arrest in any way.

Again this is all JMO and I’m sure some will disagree with me

Actually its the USSC who have ruled on when deadly force can be applied by our police officers.

I think it's important to continue to emphasize that the primary reason PC was stopped was not for a traffic stop or fixit ticket. He was stopped because he resembled an armed robbery suspect that there was an ongoing BOLO for. That's very clear from the radio calls between the police vehicle and the dispatcher before PC was detained.

Just as in the Jamar Clark case, there will be much more to this story over time. Right now we only have one side of the story, from the girlfriend, and I think personally that it is disgraceful that politicians are making any statements at all before we have the whole story.

Camping out at the governors mansion, blockading Summit Avenue, and blockading highway 94 is not a "peaceful protest", IMO. I think we need to have very clear guidelines set into law about what kind, and where "protests" can occur. Blockading roads and highways is criminal behavior, and dangerous, IMO. They should all be arrested, IMO.

PC had worked at the same job for years, was well liked, and he looked out for the children at the school.

I-94 represents the destruction of their neighborhood. Don't know why they chose the Governor. I think most people have no idea of how the govt works.

Because they have a constitutional right to protest, and the city must honor the constitution. As for the financial costs, St. Paul should feel free to sue the city of Falcon Heights, to try and recover damages.

Yes, we are not Iran or North Korea, for instance. Do you recall when the Vets from WWI were protesting in Washington DC and I think they were burned down, was it? There is a long history of protests in the US and the protesters being attacked. Lots of info by google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member