Identified! MN - Red Wing/Old Frontenac, infant siblings: Jamie (Fem/UP4795/Nov'99) / Cory (Male/UP4794/Dec'03) *Mother Arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“We did get some leads that (the department) has been following up on. It kind of goes from one lead to another,” Barringer said. “It’s very time-consuming for (the lead investigator) when he has a chance to work on it. But for the ’99 case, we did get some names.”

July 6 2021 - A Break In the Case of Three Dead Babies Found in the Mississippi River
A break in the case of three dead babies found in Mississippi River? – Twin Cities
Our little Does are known as Jamie and Cory. :) Too sweet! Rest well, little ones. Justice is on its way.

SBM
The first newborn, a Caucasian girl, was found wrapped in a towel by a fisherman in November 1999. She was located near Red Wing. Authorities believe “Jamie” had been in the water near Bay Point Park a week or two after being born alive.

Four years later, in December 2003, a Caucasian boy washed ashore on a Lake Pepin beach and was found by four teenage girls. Investigators suspect that “Cory” lived four to five days.

Oh how sad this is. To me it sounds like a either the mother is a trafficking victim under control of a man who did this to the babies, or she has mental health and/or substance abuse issues and did this on her own.
I do wish they had chosen to leave the babies where they would have been saved.

Oh how sad this is. To me it sounds like a either the mother is a trafficking victim under control of a man who did this to the babies, or she has mental health and/or substance abuse issues and did this on her own.
I do wish they had chosen to leave the babies where they would have been saved.

They have different fathers. My guess is she did it on her own.
I hope justice is being served. Those poor angels.

Poor babies. My heart breaks for them. I wonder what made the mother (or both parents) abandon her babies. Was she depressed? Was she a teenager hiding her pregnancies? Was she a victim of human trafficking? I don't know, but it saddens me she decided it was the best option for her and the children. So many people would have loved to adopt them...

Oh my word, how awful :( My heart breaks for these poor little ones! It's so hard for me to see cases of babies and toddlers...

The fact that both babies had different fathers makes me think their mother was the perpetrator, rather than a captivity situation. Unless there are multiple captors. But I tend not to think so. Whatever the case I hope these little ones get justice. They would be 22 and almost 18 now.

"Goodhue County Sheriff, BCA arrest woman in cold cases for babies found dead in Mississippi River waters"

Jennifer Lynn Matter was identified through DNA as the child’s mother.

Awesome news!! I'm so happy to see this momster has been identified and arrested. She deserves everything she's got coming to her. :mad:

May these sweet little ones, Jamie & Cory, finally rest in eternal peace. :(

CBS coverage with some new information:
- Jamie's father was identified in 2021, this is how they found the mother
- Mother claims she was an alcoholic and frequently in jail in 1999
- She had had 2 children before Jaime
- Jaime was allegedly stillborn, mother gave birth in her home's bathroom
- Cory was born alive on a beach and abandoned there for someone to find him
- She faces 40 years in prison

SBM

Then in June 2021, the Minnesota BCA compared DNA samples and identified the biological father of the 1999 girl. Investigators followed up on leads and determined Matter was a person of interest in the case.

On April 25, 2022, investigators interviewed Matter about the 1999 infant, but she denied being the mother and denied being pregnant at that time. She declined to give a voluntary DNA sample so investigators obtained a search warrant for her DNA, charges said.

Matter's DNA matched both infants, the complaint said. She denied knowing anything about the babies.

More at Minnesota cold case: Mom charged in death of baby found in Mississippi River in 2003 including the 9 page criminal complaint.

I know people will be angry and she certainly deserves to be punished for at least one death. To have done this twice isn’t the action of a sane or healthy person, though. I hope she receives medical and psychological help as well as her legal comeuppance.

Do we know what happened to her other 2 children (were they raised by her)?

I know people will be angry and she certainly deserves to be punished for at least one death. To have done this twice isn’t the action of a sane or healthy person, though. I hope she receives medical and psychological help as well as her legal comeuppance.

Do we know what happened to her other 2 children (were they raised by her)?

I'm also wondering what role the fathers had in the deaths. I find it hard to believe they didn't at least help cover up, and they should face some consequences too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95
Back