MO - 1-month-old girl dies when mother, Mariah Thomas, allegedly places her in oven instead of crib, mom charged - Kansas City, 9 Feb 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Jackson County Prosecutor Jean Peters Baker said in a statement on Saturday that she appreciated the first responders and prosecutors at the scene.

“We acknowledge the gruesome nature of this tragedy and our hearts are weighted by the loss of this precious life. We trust the criminal justice system to respond appropriately to these awful circumstances.”

“Within a matter of minutes I heard sirens. The next thing I know, there’s a baby carrier being transported between the [ambulance] and the house,” neighbor Corrine Foreman told local Fox affiliate WDAF.

Yes, our society continues to fully place the blame on women when they don't care for their newborns and lets the male parent off as if they had no responsibilities whatsoever. It's wrong.

<modsnip - quoted post and response off topic>

Anyways we don't even know if the father knew he was a father. Not every woman who gets pregnant tells the father, or even knows who the father is eg if it was a one night stand with no internet trail involved.

If she is impaired in some way then it should never have happened in the first place, but then we don't know his level of competence either, given we know literally nothing about him whatsoever.

Last edited by a moderator:
*Mariah Thomas was arraigned in Jackson County Court on Monday, March 4. She pleaded “not guilty” to charges of endangering the welfare of a child, resulting in death.

Thomas was indicted by a Jackson County Grand jury last week. She’ll be back in court for a pre-trial hearing on March 19.

*Mariah Thomas was arraigned in Jackson County Court on Monday, March 4. She pleaded “not guilty” to charges of endangering the welfare of a child, resulting in death.

Thomas was indicted by a Jackson County Grand jury last week. She’ll be back in court for a pre-trial hearing on March 19.
Interesting that it was not guilty, rather than not guilty by reason of mental disease or defect... or the equivalent in MO.

I suspect nearly everyone feels a shock when they first realise that
I did
I think I needed her to have a pot roast in the crib ,to really believe she mistook an oven for a crib.
I just think she put the bun in the oven . I have only read to page 4 so far though.
That ' Bun in the oven " expression needs to dry up and die. I believe.

The court documents were filed on February 10, the day after the child died. According to VINE Link, Thomas is 26 years old and has been in custody since February 10.

Prosecutors say the infant had “burn marks on her body and melted clothing,” KansasCity.com reported.

When police arrived, the baby had been moved to a car seat inside the house and had “burn wounds,” the newspaper reported, adding that prosecutors believe the mother “mistakenly” placed the infant in the oven. How such a mistake could be made was not explained. The baby died at the scene.

According to the probable cause affidavit obtained by KansasCity.com, Thomas is accused of having “accidentally placed her in the oven instead of the crib” when she went to put the baby down for a nap.

She is accused of telling a witness, “I thought I put (redacted) in her crib and I accidentally put her in the oven,” the newspaper reported. According to ABC 7 Chicago, police were called to the home for a report of a child who was not breathing.

Well, it looks like she is a disabled person who loved her baby but sadly, couldn’t take care of the baby due to own issues. It looks like a very different situation. Disabled people, too, want to have families, children. I think that MT is more devastated about it than anyone else. May her child RIP.

I’ve been following this horrific case and have a question for those of you who have more expertise in mental health issues and cognitive deficits.

The mom apparently was able to use her phone or pc to set up a social media page (FB), take selfies and photos of her baby, write posts, etc..

Mom knew to call her parents for help and was able to tell LE she was invoking her right to remain silent

But at the same time she was somehow not able to distinguish a baby’s crib from an oven and either turned the oven on to heat or didn’t feel heat when she opened the door.

I’m trying to imagine how such a disconnect can happen and one thing that might make sense to me is postpartum psychosis. IOW she did it on purpose and is now trying to avoid responsibility but wasn’t herself at that exact time.

Another possibility is she wasn’t impaired and wanted to punish someone. We’ve seen other cases where a parent murdered their child out of vengeance.

Thanks for your thoughts and posts. Maybe we’ll know more once she’s been evaluated.
All MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maineguy1961
Back