GUILTY MO - 4 family members gunned down in St. Charles home, 29 Dec 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd like to know what kind of medications he was on and if he had been treated for depression. In the booking photo he doesn't appear all 'there'. The eerie calm of his post-arrest demeanor and statements to police is also strange. There was a comment in one of the stories from someone who knew him that he was known to be "high-strung" so the contrast is dramatic.
IMO, the calm demeanor is disturbing, especially if he's normally high-strung. It shows he's "comfortable" with what he did. His show of concern for the attempted carjacking victim and LE only demonstrate he's a master manipulator. He knows now he can't escape prosecution, so his strategy now is to show he really is a nice guy (
no1-smiley.gif
) in trying to gain public sympathy. JMO

Welcome to Websleuths, Psychofcrime!

These cases are so heartbreaking and frustrating.
heart-breaking-smiley.gif

I have been a long, long time reader. Like many others, I got obsessed with the CW story. I am fascinated with the "Psychology of Crime", hence my screen name.

I live in the same area that this crime happened in. I have a friend that knew the mother. It just sickens me and my go-to place for info is Websleuths.

Thanks for the Welcome!

The only way we can ever find out what really happened behind the doors of that home is if LE discovers a diary written by the Mom, Grandmother or Daughter, or did he show his true self in a former relationship (whoever they were, they were very, very fortunate Dr. Hyde didn't show himself to them). Perhaps hidden in the home or in a school locker, or a comment made to a friend, etc., one of them revealed who this man truly was. It's hard to believe he was so "wonderful" all of the time and then suddenly became this evil, demon possessed monster, and in such a short time. He'll NEVER tell the real reason, JMO, MOO.

From some of the articles, it sounds like he started with the mom (confrontation about something, break-up, get out, etc.), and he wasn't leaving any witnesses. We'll probably never understand the depth of depravity in a man like this. MOO

A couple of quotes from the father of KK that I found very interesting.....

RM said. "[But] the booking picture shows a DE that I did not know. I looked at that picture and it just looks like there’s no soul there. That’s not him. You just can't fathom or understand what the heck went wrong in his brain that caused this."

"He was deep-frying a turkey, and he loved people to tell him how great he was doing. He needed people to tell him that you're a good guy," RM said.

I would love to know if these are clues to a deeper psychological issue.

I saw that too, strawberry. and everyone saying they are so glad that he looks happy. indicated to me that he was not looking so happy at one time. and one comment where he said something like "we better be (happy), ive waited for her for a long time". o_O indicative of creepy possessiveness to me.

A couple of quotes from the father of KK that I found very interesting.....

RM said. "[But] the booking picture shows a DE that I did not know. I looked at that picture and it just looks like there’s no soul there. That’s not him. You just can't fathom or understand what the heck went wrong in his brain that caused this."

"He was deep-frying a turkey, and he loved people to tell him how great he was doing. He needed people to tell him that you're a good guy," RM said.

I would love to know if these are clues to a deeper psychological issue.

I think they are, Psychofcrime. Coupled with the quote McFluffy found on his facebook (see above, bbm) and the fact that he is twice divorced I think they point to a deep sense of insecurity, and consequent high expectations and strong need for validation from his romantic partner. I would bet something happened that night that triggered his fear and instead of dealing with his own issues he flew into a rage. We can only speculate what was the trigger. Maybe one of his ex wives will speak out and offer more insight.

It's a terrible tragedy. I feel especially sad for the two children :(

The only way we can ever find out what really happened behind the doors of that home is if LE discovers a diary written by the Mom, Grandmother or Daughter, or did he show his true self in a former relationship (whoever they were, they were very, very fortunate Dr. Hyde didn't show himself to them). Perhaps hidden in the home or in a school locker, or a comment made to a friend, etc., one of them revealed who this man truly was. It's hard to believe he was so "wonderful" all of the time and then suddenly became this evil, demon possessed monster, and in such a short time. He'll NEVER tell the real reason, JMO, MOO.

From some of the articles, it sounds like he started with the mom (confrontation about something, break-up, get out, etc.), and he wasn't leaving any witnesses. We'll probably never understand the depth of depravity in a man like this. MOO

Maybe there are texts between him and KK that will provide more insight. Such a tragedy.

https://nypost.com/2019/01/02/dad-o...ung-daughters-mom-says-boyfriend-seemed-nice/
Dad of woman killed with young daughters, mom says boyfriend seemed nice

January 2, 2019 | 2:22pm
The father of a Missouri woman killed with her mother and two young children said the man charged in the senseless murders never showed any signs of erupting — but his booking photo shows someone with “no soul.”
[...]
“She had been dating him for a year, a year and a half,” Moeckel said. “I thought I knew him well. [But] the booking picture shows a Darren Emery that I did not know. I looked at that picture and it just looks like there’s no soul there. That’s not him. You just can’t fathom or understand what the heck went wrong in his brain that caused this.”

Moeckel said Emery met his daughter at a concert shortly after her husband’s death and seemingly made her happy.

“He filled a need that helped her get through things, and there was never any indication that something like this would happen,” Moeckel said. “He was maybe a little high-strung, but he never raised his voice. I never saw him get mad.”

Emery, who works as a truck driver, would regularly refer to Kasten as the “love of his life,” Moeckel said.
[...]

Surviving family members coming to grips with St. Charles County quadruple homicide
POSTED 4:47 PM, JANUARY 2, 2019
[...]
The family had no sign of any issues with Emery. They said Kate was finally happy again after her husband, Kory Kasten, died from cancer a year earlier.

“(Emery) was their protector, he was their everything; the new father figure,” Devon said.

Devon said Kate, her mother, and the children couldn’t have prevented this from happening but the tragedy should serve as a reminder for every family to try and have safety plans for every possible scenario you can think of.

“Talk to neighbors, have an exit strategy, not just for psychotic boyfriends, but from anything,” he said.
[...]

Funeral arrangements set for slain St. Charles mother, grandmother and two kids
Kate Kasten, her mother and her two children will be memorialized in a coming service at Collier’s Funeral Home near St. Ann.
Kasten, 39, her two children, Jonathan, 10, and Zoe, 8, and her mother Jane Moeckel, 61, were shot to death in Kasten’s St. Charles home Friday. . . .
[...]
Visitation will take place from 3 to 8 p.m. Sunday at Collier’s Funeral Home, 3400 North Lindbergh Boulevard.
A memorial service will take place at 10 a.m. Monday at the funeral home.
[...]

https://nypost.com/2019/01/02/dad-o...ung-daughters-mom-says-boyfriend-seemed-nice/
Dad of woman killed with young daughters, mom says boyfriend seemed nice

January 2, 2019 | 2:22pm
The father of a Missouri woman killed with her mother and two young children said the man charged in the senseless murders never showed any signs of erupting — but his booking photo shows someone with “no soul.”
[...]
“She had been dating him for a year, a year and a half,” Moeckel said. “I thought I knew him well. [But] the booking picture shows a Darren Emery that I did not know. I looked at that picture and it just looks like there’s no soul there. That’s not him. You just can’t fathom or understand what the heck went wrong in his brain that caused this.”

Moeckel said Emery met his daughter at a concert shortly after her husband’s death and seemingly made her happy.

“He filled a need that helped her get through things, and there was never any indication that something like this would happen,” Moeckel said. “He was maybe a little high-strung, but he never raised his voice. I never saw him get mad.”

Emery, who works as a truck driver, would regularly refer to Kasten as the “love of his life,” Moeckel said.
[...]
I wonder what behavior makes dad think emery is high strung. The way I think of high strung people
Is a lot of yelling.

I wonder what behavior makes dad think emery is high strung. The way I think of high strung people
Is a lot of yelling.

My husband can be very high strung but he doesn't yell. He is very bad at hiding it in his face and mannerisms though. When I think high strung I think anxious and stressed out, not so much yelling, but I am sure many high strung people do yell.

This is deeply saddening beyond belief .

The grandmother barricaded the children in with her to save them - but this monstrous act to kill everyone prevailed.

My heart is with the loved ones for their tremendous losses of their beautiful and precious family members. I wish, somehow, we could take some of their pain away.

May they hold one another close, surrounded by love, strength and comfort, during this unfathomable time.

This is deeply saddening beyond belief .

The grandmother barricaded the children in with her to save them - but this monstrous act to kill everyone prevailed.

Snipped by me.

ITA zen, and that’s the one thing I keep going back to regarding this whole awful murder. Grandma trying to hide & protect the kids, all the while they all had to be in such fear and terror, grandma I’m sure knew that her daughter was being murdered, and the kids probably realizing that their mom was being murdered. And then he found them and took them out too. Freakin monstrous act is right and it gives me chills. I hurt just thinking about this. Dang.

Tuesday, January 8th:
*Case Review Hearing (@ 9am CT) - MO – Jane M. Moeckel (61), Zoe J. Kasten (8), Jonathan D. Kasten (10) & Kate Kasten (39) (mom of kids) (Dec. 28, 2018, St. Charles; shot) - *Richard Darren Emery (46) (BF of mom) charged (12/29/18) with 4 counts 1st degree murder, 7 counts of felony armed criminal action, 3 counts of 1st degree assault (attempt-serious physical injury/special victim) & 1 count of 1st degree attempted robbery. No bond.
Officers arriving after a hysterical 911 call (midnight Friday 12/28) — in which the dispatcher could hear several shots being fired in the background — spotted a vehicle leaving near the crime scene at a high rate of speed, said cops. Police fired at the fleeing vehicle, believed to be driven by the killer. One of the cops’ cruisers was riddled with bullet holes. Soon after, a suspect matching the same description of the suspected killer, tried to carjack a woman. He stabbed the female driver before zooming away, said investigators. She is expected to recover. Seven hours later, the bleeding man was tracked down to a convenience store, where he was arrested.
12/31/18 First appearance in court. Next Case review hearing on 1/8/19.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back