Identified! MO - Cape Girardeau, E of Oak Ridge, WhtMale 20-40, UP15033, Sz 8 or 9 leather loafers, Apr'81 - Everette Guy Travis

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would have been maddening if we had learned that a juror had bought into the ‘no body no crime’ joke, and the murderer had been acquitted.
Deering was one of the very first in the US to be convicted of murder without a body. There was overwhelming circumstantial evidence, but the prosecutors must have felt it would be an over reach to ask for the death penalty. He died having never gotten out of prison although he had come up for parole a time or two. Maybe that hope of getting out is why he never confessed to where the body was.

J Travis, Guy's brother

Hi shadow. Yes, there are still family members alive who never forgot him although we had given up hope of finding him. I am his brother and last Saturday our sister and I along with our children interred his ashes next to our parents. We had put a marker up for him many years ago. It no longer stands over an empty grave. Thank you Othram, thank you Cape Girardeau Sheriff's office, and thank you Southeast Missouri State University!

JT

I offer you and yours condolences for your loss, but am so so happy for all of you, that you have the answers, and that you have been able to bring Everette's mortal remains back to lie with those of your family. I'm sorry your parents weren't still around to see it, but am just glad that there are some of you still here who knew him, alive, to lay him to rest. I'm not a religious person, but know that my thoughts are with your family today.

@JTravis
I'm so glad you joined Websleuths to let us all know Guy is home again and at rest. I'm so sorry for your loss all those years ago and the years of not knowing where he was. It's heartbreaking. I'm thankful that some closure has occurred now for those who loved him. It sounds like he was a really great person and I hope those memories bring you comfort.

MOD NOTE:

Websleuths welcomes all new members who have joined the discussion of this tragic case. Websleuths has strict guidelines for what can be posted here. These rules are posted HERE, and we ALL agreed to follow them when we joined this forum.

Some comments and their replies have been removed for containing inside information on this case. I have extended an invitation to @JTravis to become verified on this thread. Once verified, removed posts will be reinstated.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out to a Mod or Admin via private message or the Report feature. Thanks for helping keep Websleuths amazing!

- Mad

Hey folks,

JTravis has been verified as Guy's family member and their posts that were removed pending verification have been all been reinstated.

Thank you @JTravis and everyone for being here to discuss Guy's case, and to all who worked hard over time to give Guy back his identity.

It is so sad that it took so long for resolution, but we are all content for you and your family that you have finally been able to bring him home to lay him to rest in peace forever beside your parents.

I like to think there is a Great Beyond and they will find each other there.

Very sincerely,

Sillybilly

By Olivia Tock: Jan. 16, 2024 rbbm
''We are so grateful to the VFW and all of our donors for supporting our work,” said Dr. Jennifer Bengtson, a professor in the dept. “We, along with our lab partners, do everything we can to keep costs down, but the expenses can add up. We would not be able to do this work without the generous support of donors.”

According to the university, the VFW decided to get involved after learning that Bengtson and her students had helped identify the remains of Everette Guy Travis, who was a veteran.

The VFW expressed interest in funding an entire case from start to finish.

According to the university, it costs around $7,500 to fund the resolution of each cold case, with most of the money allocated to DNA extraction and genomic sequencing. Most of the funds come from donations.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VAres67
Back