MO - Duck boat carrying 31 tourists capsizes, killing 17, near Branson, July 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I tried to delete my post as we were both thinking alike. I don't see the option to delete a post like before. Guess it takes a mod.

The clencher is that the bilge alarm went off twice. The CAPTAIN turned it off both times. The way I read this is that the CAPTAIN was in the driver seat and NOT the man who died. I see it that this captain not only threw him under the bus as being the driver at fault but literally under the boat to die.

JMO

· Starting about 18:50. In the vicinity of the boat ramp, the captain began a safety briefing regarding the water portion of the tour. The briefing included the location of emergency exits as well as the location of the life jackets. The captain then demonstrated the use of a life jacket and pointed out the location of the life rings. The captain moved into the driver’s seat and the driver moved into the seat directly behind.
· About 18:55:20. The captain announced to the passengers that they would be entering the water. The boat entered the water. The water appeared calm at this time.
· Between about 18:56:22 and 19:00:38. The captain allowed four different children to sit in the driver’s seat, while he observed and assisted.
· About 19:00:25. Whitecaps rapidly appeared on the water and winds increased.
· About 19:00:42. The captain returned to the driver’s seat. The driver lowered both the port and starboard clear plastic side curtains.

NTSB releases initial review of duck boat video recording system

BRANSON, Mo. - The National Transportation Safety Board released its initial review on Friday of the digital video recorder system recovered from last week's deadly sinking of DUKW "Stretch Boat 7" near Branson.

Link:
NTSB releases initial review of duck boat video recording system

Whitecaps rapidly appeared on the water and winds increased.

Just look at that a govt agency that releases info the second they get it!! Amazing huh. They will enhance audio - I want to hear the interaction with the land guy on the radio. It did sound frantic

I tried to delete my post as we were both thinking alike. I don't see the option to delete a post like before. Guess it takes a mod.

The clencher is that the bilge alarm went off twice. The CAPTAIN turned it off both times. The way I read this is that the CAPTAIN was in the driver seat and NOT the man who died. I see it that this captain not only threw him under the bus as being the driver at fault but literally under the boat to die.

JMO

That is pretty typical. Its only function is to warn - often they turn the alarms off -- especially in aviation -- there is enough chaos - and it did its job - it alerted a human to something .

am confused are saying the land driver was driving on the water??

I think the drivers seat is the seat for both operations and they just change out -- which hit me staff wise as dumb you gotta be able to find someone that boats and drives on land!! How could someone get to work if they dont drive on land! you know what I mean !!!

oh brother i miss the delete button

*As a storm spotter, the weather portion of the timeline doesn't surprise me at all. I haven't looked up the specific storm information, but generally speaking a squall line or gust front could hit that hard & fast and the average Joe wouldn't know what it looks like on radar. I always cringe when people make such important decisions based on a phone radar app. You have to know how to interpret what it's showing, and you have to have a radar that shows more than just base reflectivity. Of course, they very well may have had those capabilities so this is a generalized JMOO (observation & opinion). I'll be interested to see the NWS portion of the report.

* IIRC, the driver & captain switch places at the end of the water portion so the driver can activate the wheels and drive the boat up the ramp. Source: my personal Ride The Ducks experiences

It seems that in the audio recordings and the life jacket instructions there was no mention as to "but you won't need them" as the survivor has stated over and over. The crowd sourcing donation fund (just one of them) is at $743,000 as of this morning. Amazing how money is expected to make things change.

JMO

I just did a duckboat tour in the Wisconsin Dells In early July. The driver did both the land and water portion in the Wisconsin River. I’ve done others at other tourist spots like Hot Springs, Ark etc and don’t recall the driver changing with a captain. Don’t know if something was different because it was Table Rock Lake. Have spent a lot of time on that lake, so wondering why that was the case. Understand about Coast Guard certification. Maybe the driver didn’t have it yet ?

“Somebody told me that when they found my husband, he had all three of my babies. So the reason I couldn’t find them is because he was protecting them.”

Duck boat survivor: ‘My husband’s attempt to save my children will keep me fighting’

I haven't been following this thread, but I've seen msm stories about this tragedy. I feel so awful for that poor woman and the nephew who survived, and other remaining family members for such a terrible experience and terrible loss. I hope the ones suffering most will have a lot of love and support around them.

It is being reported this morning that the NTSB says the Duck Boat entered the water 23 minutes AFTER a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued.

No link yet
This doesn't surprise me. Many times they'll warn quite far ahead of that type of storm, because they travel so fast and can be deceptive on radar.

I'm trying hard to reserve judgment on the decision to go ahead & launch until more information comes in.

The family who lost nine relatives when a duck boat sank in a Missouri lake has filed a lawsuit seeking $100million in damages against the owners and operators.

Attorneys representing the estates of Ervin Coleman and Maxwell Ly filed the lawsuit against Ripley Entertainment, the owner of Ride the Ducks of Branson, on Sunday.

Ervin Coleman, 76, and two-year-old Maxwell were two of the 17 passengers who were killed when the Ride the Ducks boat sank at Table Rock Lake on July 19.

Family who lost nine relatives in duck boat tragedy sues for $100million | Daily Mail Online

Is there hope of the family getting a figure like $100 million damages?

It is being reported tonight on ABC17 News that it is in writing from the inspection that was done last year on the duck boat that it was not to be on the water at any time with winds over 35MPH.

"The Coast Guard released a redacted certificate of inspection for the boat that sank at Table Rock Lake. The inspection, done in Feb. 2017, notes that the boat should not be on the water if wind speeds exceed 35 miles per hour or if waves are larger than two feet. "

Coast Guard launches official investigation

It is being reported tonight on ABC17 News that it is in writing from the inspection that was done last year on the duck boat that it was not to be on the water at any time with winds over 35MPH.

"The Coast Guard released a redacted certificate of inspection for the boat that sank at Table Rock Lake. The inspection, done in Feb. 2017, notes that the boat should not be on the water if wind speeds exceed 35 miles per hour or if waves are larger than two feet. "

Coast Guard launches official investigation

most described it as calm at onset tho

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV