GUILTY MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just heard on local news, the prosecution wants life for the 2nd degree charge and 71 years for armed criminal action charge. 71 years because average age for female is 80 and Elizabeth was 9 when she was killed. Judge is to announce her decision at 8a tomorrow. No link because I just heard it on the local news.

Just heard on local news, the prosecution wants life for the 2nd degree charge and 71 years for armed criminal action charge. 71 years because average age for female is 80 and Elizabeth was 9 when she was killed. Judge is to announce her decision at 8a tomorrow. No link because I just heard it on the local news.

@vjlaw here's a link:
http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=716157

Quote:
The closing arguments were emotional for both families involved. Bustamante's grandmother ran out of the courtroom crying. Elizabeth's grandmother yelled out from a wheelchair, "Alyssa should get out of jail the same day Elizabeth gets out of the grave."

The prosecution in the case asked for Judge Joyce to sentence Alyssa Bustamante to life in prison for the murder charge with an additional 71 years for the armed criminal action. He said he got to the 71 years because Elizabeth Olten was nine when she was killed and the average life span for a woman is 80 years, so the 71 is for all the years Elizabeth lost.

This case tears me up beyond words. It's what first brought me to WS, trying to find some understanding (which never came).

My daughter was a schoolmate/acquainance of Alyssa. She too was a cutter, suffered PTSD and was deeply depressed.

I am so proud that my daughter grew up to be a smart, beautiful, loving and well adjusted young woman and I'm the luckiest Mom in the world. I've been truly blessed.

May Elizabeth's family one day find the peace they deserve.

@vjlaw here's a link:
http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=716157

Quote:
The closing arguments were emotional for both families involved. Bustamante's grandmother ran out of the courtroom crying. Elizabeth's grandmother yelled out from a wheelchair, "Alyssa should get out of jail the same day Elizabeth gets out of the grave."

The prosecution in the case asked for Judge Joyce to sentence Alyssa Bustamante to life in prison for the murder charge with an additional 71 years for the armed criminal action. He said he got to the 71 years because Elizabeth Olten was nine when she was killed and the average life span for a woman is 80 years, so the 71 is for all the years Elizabeth lost.

Nicely said, Grandma. I couldn't agree more. You can't rehabilitate evil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alyssa Bustamante spoke to the court on Wednesday. She told the Olten family she was sorry and if she could give her life to get Elizabeth's back, she would.

There was extra court marshall presence in the courtroom. Judge Joyce told the court that anyone who had an outburst would be removed from the courtroom.

Elizabeth Olten's family hugged after the sentence was read and looked relieved.

http://www.connectmidmissouri.com/news/story.aspx?id=716157#.TzKIEIGwSVo

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/mo-teen-thrill-killer-prosecutors-15536222

Oh she is sorry now! So is Elizabeth!! This girl should never be released, she is another Manson.
I have often thought of this case remembering Elizabeth who just wanted to play.God be with you Sweetie.

do you like where she apologises for "what happened", not for "what did"?

1 year for the second degree murder charge and 30 years on the armed criminal action charge....with the possibility of parole.

http://www.newstribune.com/news/2012/feb/08/bustamante-sentenced/

ETA-- Not one year....one life sentence, I totally read that wrong. Thanks for posting the other article, Trigger....I feel a million times better now!!!!

I nearly gagged on my heart leaping into my throat when I read the first line of your post!! good thing I managed to keep reading!!

I'm satisfied with life & 30 years although IMO they should run CONSECUTIVELY. I think the DA had it quite right asking for 71 years.

I fear had this gone to trial a jury might've given less....so I cant complain.

Sentences will run consecutively. She'll be locked up for a long, long time.

She's "sorry for what happened", instead of for "what I did." JMO, but the choice of words reveals a failure to take full responsibility.

So glad this girl is gone-she was a serial killer in the making from her diary entries.She enjoyed what she did and would have done it again and again-she is one scary girl!!!

Good. If she was ever released she would most assuredly kill again. I've been following this case since the beginning. God bless the Olten family. May they have some semblance of closure for this senseless tragedy.

I followed this case from a distance and have to think what this did to Alyssa's sister and her family. Anyone know how the sister is doing?? Such a shame for the families of the offenders in most cases. In some though, (cough ahem Cindy A) helped the offender so I don't feel one ounce of sorry for them.

Just saw her sentence while I was reading about Josh Powell. So glad to hear she will be behind bars for a very long time.

Hopefully this young person will not be released ...imo she's capable of commiting murder again. And I must add that 15yrs. old may be an impulsive age -- but even a kid younger than that knows right from wrong.
jmo
When my sibling and I were young --about 3rd and 4th grd. -- we were occasionally allowed to walk to the store about a mile away to buy a candy bar in the summer. We thought this was great fun and our mom would say "see you when you get back". The path we took from the house was through a small empty field and along a cty. road. I vaguely remember stopping along the way to look for early black raspberries.
Never thought it was dangerous at all ! Sometimes I wonder if we were just lucky or have times changed that much?
I'd never let my kids or anyone else's kids (that I was caring for)do that now.If they need to go somewhere I'll drive them and never take my eyes off them !
So sad for the Olten family.

I'm happy they threw the book at her. There is something terribly wrong with this disturbed girl.

:rose: Rest in Peace, sweet Elizabeth :rose:

So glad this girl is gone-she was a serial killer in the making from her diary entries.She enjoyed what she did and would have done it again and again-she is one scary girl!!!

I'm happy they threw the book at her. There is something terribly wrong with this disturbed girl.

:rose: Rest in Peace, sweet Elizabeth :rose:

Yes. She is disturbed. Horribly, terribly. There is something very wrong with her. I do think it's possible she has some form of insanity, though what, I don't know. And it is awful that a girl that young can be irredeemable.

But, IMO, she is.

I am usually willing to take into consideration a child's age when accused of murder, and their circumstances. But in some of these cases, it goes back to what I learned on my friend's farm in New Zealand about when dogs go bad.

Out there, if a dog chases sheep and kills one, the dog is killed because once it tastes blood, it is no use as a herder or farm dog.

Some kids kill due to extreme abuse or mental issues coupled with impulse control deficits, which most teens share. This girl planned this murder with glee and ENJOYED it. She had a good time, cutting, stabbing, strangling, a sweet, terrified little child.

No matter what is wrong with her, she is a dog gone bad and IMO, should be locked up for life to protect the public. Perhaps there is a slim chance that she will grow a soul. That would be great but she can do so behind bars. With this type of person, we can't take any risks and cannot hope for the best. I shudder to think of what she did and how she felt about it.

Good. If she was ever released she would most assuredly kill again.

That seems to be the general consesus from the locals, too. This ordeal has really rocked this town. We tend to think of ourselves as Mayberry and every once in a while something comes along and reminds us that we aren't living in the good old days anymore.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back