MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where was the fiancee when she made this discovery? Inside the house? Outside on patio? I believe it was never confirmed where the other 2 men were discovered. If they were discovered in the grass section of the yard why would they be there? If on the concrete why were they not seen by the fiancee? The house looks to have a spotlight in the back. MOO

Also do we know for certainty how/where she entered the home? I remember earlier on reading that she entered thru the basement. Im assumming this window is on the left side of the house as part of that section is not visible in the exterior house pictures. MOO

You can see in the IE/People/Fox4 pictures that a screen has been removed from a basement window in the front yard. Presumably, that's where she entered.

She says she went up to the first floor, then out the back and saw one body and then called police (apparently going back into the house).

They could have had chairs to sit on the grass and thought they were star gazing while sobering up enough to drive. If unconsciousness overtook them, they might have toppled or sprawled out of their chairs. We don't know.

You can see in the IE/People/Fox4 pictures that a screen has been removed from a basement window in the front yard. Presumably, that's where she entered.

She says she went up to the first floor, then out the back and saw one body and then called police (apparently going back into the house).

They could have had chairs to sit on the grass and thought they were star gazing while sobering up enough to drive. If unconsciousness overtook them, they might have toppled or sprawled out of their chairs. We don't know.
All information LE hasn't released... but probably tells a tale. They may have been sitting around a fire pit and just dozed off, they may have been in lawn chairs etc..

The type of COD everyone is speculating about is very common (Alcohol or Drugs).

We are of course going to have real data soon enough.

Like you I see no value in trying to piece together discrepancies in second, third and fourth hand accounts of what happened, when.

Yes. A lot of forensic evidence is preserved in cold and freezing conditions.

I think all three "fell asleep" (from their pov - they may have instead been experiencing effects of some toxin, probably alcohol). It's very hard waiting. Most street drugs would leave paraphernelia/bags etc nearby and LE seems to be signalling there's no sign of that.

I think it's possible that everyone knew that a lot of drinking had been done and that no one should be behind the wheel - it's pretty drilled into people these days. I figure they may have been trying to sober/wake themselves up by sitting in the chilly backyard. This small theory presumes they had stopped drinking just a little earlier - but one could also have the theory that they were still drinking in the backyard (finding empty beverage containers would not be a sign of foul play). They could have been drinking steadily up until the time they went into the backyard (in which case, BAC would continue to go up for as long as an hour or two).

There's a significant buy-in to the (false) popular belief that cold showers or going out into the cold "sobers up" a person. It may make them as aware as they're going to be - but it won't change their BAC levels. Many, many people think that unconsciousness (passing out) due to drinking is similar to falling asleep normally, but the two states are very different, brain-wise. And even non-drinking people who try to sleep in the cold will not always be roused by cold in the middle of a sleep cycle - many variables there. One early symptom of hypothermia is, paradoxically, feeling warm (so people who wake up in their tents at 15F or 25F temperatures may groggily observe that they "feel warm" and just go back to sleep). One needs a very, very good sleeping bag in those circumstances. Being in a car or tent is only protection against windchill, IMO. None of the outdoor options was particularly good that evening (from the POV of onset of hypothermia - which could have happened fairly quickly, depending on BAC).

IMO.
You make a good point that it is emphasized that people shouldn't even get in the car if they're drunk, even if they just want to sit in it, because drunks are unpredictable.

Also, i believe the law has changed so that if you're drunk in a car that you could theoretically drive that you can get charged with drunk driving even if the car is turned off and parked, and obviously has not been driven recently. So, that is a significant change i forgot about.

I think some people, in the past, who were drunk wanted to be in their cars (even if not to drive them) because the car was theirs. So, they could pass out in it because they owned it (again, a car that is parked and turned off). But, since a person could get into big trouble, i guess if they didn't think of how this would be a potentially bad idea, one of their friends would.

@Curious Me here is the link that I watched Banfield If it doesn't link properly it's titled Families frustrated by lack of answers
Thanks, I really appreciate your help finding the video, @Forest_Wood. Glad I got to watch this one. This video is different and has more info from the mother of David Harrington.

A police officer said he wasn't allowed to go into much, but he did say some important things, IMO. He told David's mother they were allowed to go into the house the night they were called to JW's house, they looked around, and took JW in, talked to him, and that his story added up. Then, the officer told her-- "When it's all released it's going to make sense." (2:40 minute mark of the video below)

All MOO now, but later in the video, the mother is told LE is still investigating, but there's hints of something more in what was said to the mother, IMO. Nothing definite, just hints that LE has put together some of the puzzle pieces to this mystery already.

(I sometimes just run a browser search if I know the title and can get a link that works here. This time I got the youtube video.)

Kansas City Chiefs fans' deaths:
Families frustrated by lack of answers | Banfield

Last edited:
exactly what i want to know! did he "clock in"?
I guess I don't understand why this is important. He was at home. He may or may not have been working with headphones/white noise/fan/space heater. He may or may not have been sick/hungover with earbuds. He may have mostly been in his room doing a combination of running scripts and dozing (both of the above) and may have wandered out to the kitchen to get food.
He apparently didn't peer out of the windows looking for his friends in any of those cases. Most (all?) of us would not.
Why does it matter so much? I'm missing something.

I'm sorry, I should have quoted this post, but it's a few pages back...

Some private company is doing the tox screens and it could take six months. That's insane. I think they generally take more like six weeks. I hope that is a misprint. It will be difficult enough for the families to wait six weeks.

It's just an awful situation. Everyone keeps going to all the bad stuff they could have been doing because them being dead is just about inconceivable if they weren't. But, if i was their family... I wouldn't want to think that.

Did these guys live by themselves? With other people? I know one was engaged, and they all had close family in the area. But, they still might have lived on their own. That would explain the way that the families searched for them, if they lived on their own. Because they weren't 100 percent sure, at first, that they were missing. One worked with his father, but did they go every day to work together or did his father send him to do work on his own? (Eta: i don't really expect anyone to know this, i am just saying that it could be either way.)

Willis has maintained he does not know how the men died and that he was asleep so didn't realize they were lying dead in his basement and backyard.

But now Harrington's mother, Jennifer Marquez, has issued an urgent plea to Willis, saying: 'I know he is scared but he was there, he participated in whatever happened that night, he had to know and he is the only one left that knows what happened.'

Marquez believes Willis is 'scared' and said: 'I think that's why he didn't answer the text messages that people sent him and I think that's why he waited to long to let anybody know what happened with the men.'

'I heard from several people that said they kept texting him, you know they went and knocked on the door, they banged on the door... how could you keep missing texts and people knocking on your door and not notice texts or any of that.'

Willis has claimed via his attorney John Picerno that he didn't see the messages and was asleep for 'a lot of' the time between his friends leaving and answering the door to police.

He claims he said goodbye to his friends - two of whom he'd known since high school - then 'crashed' on the couch.

A short time later, he says he went upstairs to bed, leaving the doors unlocked. The three men, he says, then returned to the property and at some stage, went outside.

It depends on the state. Many states already have fentanyl-related homicide laws in place. It appears that MO currently does not.

[URL

The bill would have made it a felonypunishable by three to ten years in prison to knowingly deliver a controlled substance that’s mixed with another controlled substance if it results in “serious physical injury.” If the delivery of the controlled substance results in death, a person could face ten to thirty years or life in prison — a Class A felony, the most severe felony classification in Missouri.
I wonder how they would prove that someone knew it was laced though. I feel that would be a much more difficult task.
Say someone gets a brick of some kind of drug and sells it never knowing it had something else in it.
Because there are a lot of dealers that don't use what they sell. Especially when it comes to harder or more expencive drugs, they wouldn't make a whole lot of money that way due to them being intoxicated themselves or the constant use of their own product (in that case they would be more like buyers and less like dealers).
This does not mean that they absolutly don't dabble in it or anything, but I can see with some types of drugs how they may not know it's laced.
It could be a very lengthy investigation.

Or.. do they just charge the dealer either way..?

100% I agree. We don't even know if it happened in the early hours on Monday. They could have driven away and returned the next day or night for all we know. The autopsy will determine time of death.
But if the family member said they know it was after 02:00 on Monday morning, they must know something we don't?
I don't recall the family saying they texted/phoned with one of them -- that was only my assumption reading between the lines. I believe this was mentioned by the lawyer on News Nation which was posted previously. MOO.
Remember they had to have time to freeze as well.
I am not sure how long it would have taken in this particular case.

Remember they had to have time to freeze as well.
I am not sure how long it would have taken in this particular case.
Good point.

Graphic post :

Does anyone know if the coroner could determine a time of death based on the temp. of the bodies on the innermost parts like the heart, etc. ?
Omo.

Starts at the 2:00 mark. Lawyer saying JW has RoboCop on his phone. 8 calls got flagged I guess as not known, so bad and not put through I guess. Is that how RoboCop works?
Thank You for the video. Oh, Robocop!
I use an app called “Robokiller” on my iPhone. It blocks any caller that is not on my contacts list, callers may leave a voice message, however it is a completely different voice mail box than my standard one. I do not check it on a daily basis. The reason I use the screening app is that I had a consulting business about 4 years ago and I used my cell number for my business..... snipped to reply...
Thank You for this in depth explanation of how the Robocop app would work to block all those calls to JW and how there's even a separate type voice mail.

I also think JW's attorney was smart to clear up the questions about JW not responding to all the calls. He didn't actually ignore calls because he didn't get those calls.

As far as not responding to the texts, I am a bit surprised if JW didn't look or check any communication platforms for two days, but further explanation may be pending. Did he take any sleeping aids? Was he feeling sick and needed to block out the world to get more rest? MOO, it doesn't have to be some shady reason the man didn't check his texts.

Normally, he may not expect that many texts perhaps. I think it's possible he was going about his own life, and his own quirky home habits, time out from paying attention to the world, and it never was a problem before until horrifyingly his three friends were found dead in his backyard.

All that criticism of him not answering his calls, and now a simple explanation. The Robocop app he had on his phone is an explanation that helps answer some of the questions we all had why he wasn't answering the frantic calls from numbers not in his contact list. All MOO

AND
This brings to mind a scientific test I did at uni many, many years ago. My project involved testing people drinking alcohol in the cold. The uni I went to had a cold weather-controlled chamber. I provided alcohol to some subjects and non-alcohol to others as they exercised on a bike. The alcohol-drinking group had warmer superficial temperatures and 'felt' warmer, but their core temperatures were very much lower.

Conclusion: If you are drinking you don't feel the cold as much but your body may be suffering.

P.S. The test I did was 40 years ago. The paper was published by a group that did research on alcoholism.
PPS: Yes, I am old!
And he didn't message or call the person who's jacket was inside either to tell them or see if/when they were going to get it or pick it up?

Jeopardy? Alex, I'll Take Quiz Shows for $1000.
....the technology - the electronics will also be key to the case.
Curious to know if the show Jeopardy was actually played that night/morning.....
@arielilane

They could have been watching "Jeopardy!" one of several ways, not necessarily the good old fashioned way, i.e., by turning on the tube at the published, SCHEDULED TIME (like some of us used to do).

Or
---- On computer, laptop, phone, other device w internet access, going to youtube (or some other sites) and watch the show on one of multiple sites at ANY TIME.
or
---- By using DVR, TiVo or _?_ to home record & watching at ANY TIME.
or
---- On Pluto TV, Sling TV.
or
---- Others I may be overlooking.

If it's on CBS, you can use Paramount+ with Showtime to stream the show live when it airs. If it's on NBC, you can get access to your local station to watch Jeopardy! via Peacock Premium Plus.

Last edited:
And he didn't message or call the person who's jacket was inside either to tell them or see if/when they were going to get it or pick it up?
I'm not sure we can assume he knew whose jacket it was or that his attention was drawn to a jacket being left behind at all. IF he noticed it, he'd have known it belonged to one of the men who had been there. But in his shoes I'm not sure I'd feel it was necessary to immediately start calling around/texting to track the owner down. In cold climates people often have more than one coat. MOO

I still don't understand. So, JW missed two days of work? A lot of employers would have sounded the alarm part way through the second day by contacting an emergency contact. MOO

This may be the confusion some have, JW was a researcher, he would not have an employer. Think along the lines of self employed. Many researchers receive grants and have other avenues of income.

I'm wondering why some may think JW didn't work during those two days? I imagine JW's type of work kept him at a computer for long hours in deep thought. My thinking is working during the day or through the night would be the normal. When JW is "on to something" he most likely would stay with it regardless of the hour. To not be distracted in his thoughts he most likely used tools to black out sound. Such as fans and ear plugs. Ear plugs would also be an advantage when watching video/audio during research. After some time JW would need to eat and sleep. All random hours of the day and night.

It would surprise me if there were not cameras along his street from neighboring houses. We don't know if LE has video of JW's three friends on that horrible and sad night. If there is video it could also answer LE questions of JW's coming and goings for the next two days.

His line of work is devoted to helping mankind.

I wonder how they would prove that someone knew it was laced though. I feel that would be a much more difficult task.
Say someone gets a brick of some kind of drug and sells it never knowing it had something else in it.
Because there are a lot of dealers that don't use what they sell. Especially when it comes to harder or more expencive drugs, they wouldn't make a whole lot of money that way due to them being intoxicated themselves or the constant use of their own product (in that case they would be more like buyers and less like dealers).
This does not mean that they absolutly don't dabble in it or anything, but I can see with some types of drugs how they may not know it's laced.
It could be a very lengthy investigation.

Or.. do they just charge the dealer either way..?
We still do not know if any drugs are involved in this case. If there were drugs present, I think LE is more interested in finding out the identity of the dealer rather than the buyer. That is going to be the only way to stem this epidemic of tragedy.

Below is a link to a very sad case from nearly ten years ago. It is about two best friends who met on their first day of kindergarten. Now grown, one of them was at work and was "dope sick" so his childhood friend brought him some opiate powder not knowing it was laced with fentanyl. Within 20 minutes, the young man was dead. His friend ended up in prison for a short time but most of his sentence was spent in rehab.

It is important for everyone to understand how very dangerous it is to buy any drug on the street but also understand what other families have gone through and their frustration at lack of resources to try to avert such heartbreaking tragedies.

JMO

Toledo Police, in a report filed two weeks later, concluded there was “no indication of foul play in the immediate cause of Shanks death.”

By all appearances, this was just another fatal heroin overdose — something that happens more than once an hour in a country awash in
opioids. But it wasn’t heroin that killed DJ. It was fentanyl, an opioid manufactured in hidden laboratories to be up to 100 times more powerful than heroin. It’s what killed the musician, Prince.

O
public accusations in the press
I would be suing
I do not disagree. Say he is innocent, things like that can ruin people's lives, carreers, tear apart families, etc. It can create so much distrust. Even if the person did nothing wrong at all. Even if it comes to light later on about innocence, the damage was already done.
Not saying 100% applies to this case, but in general over all, good people can have their lives ruined due to rumors and accusations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lawdaughter222