Found Deceased MO - John Forsyth, 49, doctor, Mercy ER Clinic, Cassville, 21 May 2023 *car found* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
LE served a search warrant on Richard's home. Wanted to find his Glock .40 because John was killed with one. Richard cooperated and let them take what they needed. Had an interview a few days after the search. They thought he knew more than he was telling them, but he said he doesn't know any more information. He took lie detector test, said he failed. They said they think Richard practiced to cheat the lie detector test. Richard calls LDT "props". They're not valid. LE seems to have their eyes on Richard because they don't know of any suspects.

Unfortunately, Richard did not do himself any favors. At the beginning of this, there were some interviews of his that definitely seemed…odd. I remember many folks thought it unusual how much he was sharing, perhaps LE feels he knows things he shouldn't. It's good that he still feels confident in the investigation though.

Dr. Forsyth had a lot of business dealings and associates that his brother Richard wasn't aware of. Very interesting. Said the individuals who kidnapped John had Eastern European accents and it was supposedly related to crypto. Richard was told this by others, wasn't aware of it.

John never made Richard feel like there was anything to fear WRT their joint business dealings. John didn't want people having photos of him with his wife, nor his kids. He may have felt his family was threatened. His brother seemed to have a lot of secrets. Not sure how John was able to juggle all of it. Richard still has confidence in the criminal investigation. They've been careful in what they've released and that's necessary.

LE served a search warrant on Richard's home. Wanted to find his Glock .40 because John was killed with one. Richard cooperated and let them take what they needed. Had an interview a few days after the search. They thought he knew more than he was telling them, but he said he doesn't know any more information. He took lie detector test, said he failed. They said they think Richard practiced to cheat the lie detector test. Richard calls LDT "props". They're not valid. LE seems to have their eyes on Richard because they don't know of any suspects.

Richard can't speculate because he doesn't have facts. Doesn't know why anyone would kill his brother. The way he was killed was ridiculous taken from a park then found dead days later in a popular tourist area. Makes no sense. Doesn't know why his brother was killed. Still thinks its possible he might also be in danger. LE says they don't think he's in danger.

John had plane tickets to go visit family. Had made some large gifts to family members. Proposed to girlfriend, expecting baby. Had so many future plans. Richard told John one of the last times he saw him that John seemed the happiest he'd been.

Just a reminder: This post and the two I made after are rough transcripts of Richard Forsyth's KY3 tv interview at the link just above. It's really worthwhile to watch the whole interview with Richard. It's very informative.

ETA: added the tv station reference.

I think the takeaway on "business associates unknown to RF" was that his brother had so many secrets. RF was hurt, dismayed, and very surprised. He takes this to mean they weren't as close as he thought or as close as they had been growing up. JF may have felt he just couldn't keep up with everyone's expectations, he didn't want his brother to be disappointed in him.

The examples given are criminals that extort, not blackmail, money from businesses that will pay to regain control of their digital systems. None of those involves selling/buying cryptocurrency. The FBI has its own computer/digital forensics investigators. Cryptocurrency is not really an in-person business. I don't think it realistic to think JF would be of any use to the FBI unless he turned over all his digital access to them for them to research. But then again, with a warrant, they can do whatever they need to do, with no help from JF.

As I mentioned in my comment, these were not the type of cases that might be similar to John's company. It speaks to the level of online criminal activity from bad actors in that area.

There are Russian groups involved with hacking cryptocurrency sites. Here's an example from the US Dept of Justice

Not saying this type of activity was behind Dr Fosyth's death, but its a possibility that shouldn't be dismissed at this point.

ETA: TBH, I'm in the "wait and see what LE says" group.

As I mentioned in my comment, these were not the type of cases that might be similar to John's company. It speaks to the level of online criminal activity from bad actors in that area.

There are Russian groups involved with hacking cryptocurrency sites. Here's an example from the US Dept of Justice

Not saying this type of activity was behind Dr Fosyth's death, but its a possibility that shouldn't be dismissed at this point.

ETA: TBH, I'm in the "wait and see what LE says" group.
My post was not to address the hackers' activities, it was to point out that JF as any type of spy, agent, or working with the FBI wasn't likely and would not lead to in-person contacts with these hackers. He was not in a position of more experience and computer skills than digital forensic FBI agents.

My post was not to address the hackers' activities, it was to point out that JF as any type of spy, agent, or working with the FBI wasn't likely and would not lead to in-person contacts with these hackers. He was not in a position of more experience and computer skills than digital forensic FBI agents.

I agree on that.

There was noone who knew the inner workings of ONFO, and wanted the theft solved and name cleared, like JF did. He was also viewed as an industry expert.

If criminal crypto types saw him as a threat (including informant), they wouldn't care what his 'position' was....THEY would 'get to' HIM.

MOO - IANAE - YMMV - etc.

A new video from Elizabeth VanMetre. Definitely worth a watch.

"Local News Live has me on to talk about reporting on Dr. John Forsyth.
As always, if you know anything about this case please contact the Benton County Sheriff's Office. You keep talking about this case and I'll keep asking questions.
Someone knows something.

Just a reminder: This post and the two I made after are rough transcripts of Richard Forsyth's KY3 tv interview at the link just above. It's really worthwhile to watch the whole interview with Richard. It's very informative.

ETA: added the tv station reference.

Thanks for the reminder, I did watch the interview, and you're right, it is very informative. Richard is extremely well spoken, and you can hear that he processes complex information out loud, which probably contributes to the sense that he possibly knows more than he is saying. He comes across as very thoughtful and sincere to me.

"Local media has reported that Forsyth's body was discovered with an apparent gunshot wound in a lake in northwest Arkansas. The police are yet to provide further details on the circumstances surrounding Dr. Forsyth's death—but say foul play does not appear to be a factor."
If criminal crypto types saw him as a threat (including informant), they wouldn't care what his 'position' was....THEY would 'get to' HIM.
MOO They also wouldn't care if it was obvious that he was kidnapped and murdered. There must have been no evidence of restraint/binding on the body, and no injuries from a fight/struggle prior to the gunshot. The "no foul play" was said after LE knew he had been shot in the head.
After the first alleged kidnapping, I find it hard to believe that JF would have agreed to meet someone, left his RV unlocked, put important items into his car, and then left it parked and unlocked, without leaving any evidence of contact with the "suspect".

"Local media has reported that Forsyth's body was discovered with an apparent gunshot wound in a lake in northwest Arkansas. The police are yet to provide further details on the circumstances surrounding Dr. Forsyth's death—but say foul play does not appear to be a factor."
Search warrants, over 20 of them, have been issued including for a Glock at R's home. Why would police authorities be searching R's home for a gun if they didn't suspect foul play?

Here is what the official authorities have released to date:

"An autopsy was done, but a report isn’t expected for at least two months. Law enforcement officers have released almost no details, except to say there is no danger to the public."
MOO They also wouldn't care if it was obvious that he was kidnapped and murdered. There must have been no evidence of restraint/binding on the body, and no injuries from a fight/struggle prior to the gunshot. The "no foul play" was said after LE knew he had been shot in the head.
After the first alleged kidnapping, I find it hard to believe that JF would have agreed to meet someone, left his RV unlocked, put important items into his car, and then left it parked and unlocked, without leaving any evidence of contact with the "suspect".
The coroner (or Metre's source) said the manner of death is obvious - leaves no doubt [paraphrased]. Source: Elizabeth VanMetre interviews

To me, that indicates we will likely learn of taser marks, bindings, rope, zip ties, duct tape that were on and about this person including but not limited to his hands, ankles, feet and tape across his mouth. Even if he survived the bullet wound, he wasn't swimming out of that lake.

I suspect when the Sheriff and DA are ready, we'll learn this may have been a terrifying kidnapping, torture and fatal shooting of a brilliant mathematician, physician and entrepreneur by someone known to the good doctor.

Search warrants, over 20 of them, have been issued including for a Glock at R's home. Why would police authorities be searching R's home for a gun if they didn't suspect foul play?
Due diligence. First, he was a missing person and it's possible some of the warrants were to access information that could lead to finding him. Secondly, all unexplained deaths require an investigation and this unusual case required LE to thoroughly investigate this death AS IF it was a homicide, which is not unusual. They would have search warrants for the victim's and family members/girlfriends) phone, computer, and financial records. And guns. If the brother had a "like" gun as the death gun, they need to keep it until the case is "closed". There is not going to be a later question of "why didn't they check out this or that"? It is possible that both brothers owned the same guns, did anyone notice that no one ever asked if JF owned a gun or had acquired one recently? If JF had a gun, is it accounted for?
I don't recall RF saying that his brother never had a gun and didn't know how to use one, etc.
RF says that he offered LE the gun and gave consent to search. A warrant is always preferred to a consent-to-search if there is any possibility it could be evidence.
No one had the ability to give consent for the victim's car, home, RV, phone, financials, business and work records.
Thus the warrants.

If it doesn't appear to be foul play, the gun must have been located.

Due diligence. First, he was a missing person and it's possible some of the warrants were to access information that could lead to finding him. Secondly, all unexplained deaths require an investigation and this unusual case required LE to thoroughly investigate this death AS IF it was a homicide, which is not unusual. They would have search warrants for the victim's and family members/girlfriends) phone, computer, and financial records. And guns. If the brother had a "like" gun as the death gun, they need to keep it until the case is "closed". There is not going to be a later question of "why didn't they check out this or that"? It is possible that both brothers owned the same guns, did anyone notice that no one ever asked if JF owned a gun or had acquired one recently? If JF had a gun, is it accounted for?
I don't recall RF saying that his brother never had a gun and didn't know how to use one, etc.
RF says that he offered LE the gun and gave consent to search. A warrant is always preferred to a consent-to-search if there is any possibility it could be evidence.
No one had the ability to give consent for the victim's car, home, RV, phone, financials, business and work records.
Thus the warrants.
Didn't Richard state that JF didn't own a gun? If it was a suicide, JF could have used Richard’s gun. Guns are so easy to purchase legally or illegally.

Didn't Richard state that JF didn't own a gun? If it was a suicide, JF could have used Richard’s gun. Guns are so easy to purchase legally or illegally.
Good point! It also seems John withheld a lot from Richard and his family, so who knows. He very well could have owned a gun and it was just another thing Richard didn't know about.

If it doesn't appear to be foul play, the gun must have been located.
MOO, I'm assuming the gun that was used to kill JF was not found. It's in the lake and it would be worse than looking for a needle in a haystack.
I think LE would have let RF know if they found a gun (and had done ballistics), but I could be wrong.

I knew someone who shot themselves while hanging over water. The gun went to the bottom of a channel. Luckily the body did not fall all the way into the water so the gun was relatively easy to find.

I can't think of one single reason the police would still consider this an open and active investigation at this point -- not if there's no sign of foul play and they believe this to be suicide. If they found a gun and there truly was no evidence of foul play, this case should be closed by now. His body was recovered in early June; IT'S NEARLY OCTOBER. Yes, toxicology results take time. But only in the rarest of cases do they take longer than 6-8 weeks, IMO.

I can't think of one single reason the police would still consider this an open and active investigation at this point -- not if there's no sign of foul play and they believe this to be suicide. If they found a gun and there truly was no evidence of foul play, this case should be closed by now. His body was recovered in early June; IT'S NEARLY OCTOBER. Yes, toxicology results take time. But only in the rarest of cases do they take longer than 6-8 weeks, IMO.
Having lived on both of these counties over the last 15 years I would guess, emphasis on guess, that Benton County believes there is no threat in its jurisdiction as this is a Barry county problem. Barry county doesn’t have any jurisdiction in the death investigation or the resources to go up against a vastly larger,wealthier, and better equipped department to look for a possible culprit or accomplice. Murder or suicide, someone got him to the lake and still isn’t talking. That’s close enough to foul play for me to be curious.
I’m wondering what department served the search warrant on his brother, although that could be to confirm suicide or look for a murder weapon, it rules out nothing.

I'm interested in your statement. What else was going on in Cassville around that time?

JMO
There was a murder shortly after JFs and 7 inmates assaulted and restrained guards at the jail to escape in the same few weeks. 6 of 7 were caught, one remains on the loose. The jail population has been halved for security but calls to 911 are reportedly up over 50% from last year per the sheriff. This link, also from ky3 gives a pretty good overview of the local perspective of a crime wave. Barry County, Mo., residents gather to address increase in crime
I know I wasn’t asked, just sharing local info.
I'm interested in your statement. What else was going on in Cassville around that time?

JMO

What Theft? Whose Name?
There was noone who knew the inner workings of ONFO, and wanted the theft solved and name cleared, like JF did. He was also viewed as an industry expert.
MOO - IANAE - YMMV - etc.
@?!?
My apologies, I'm lost w this post.
What Theft? Whose Name?
Can anyone enlighten me pls?
Point me to a post or link to an article? TiA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalo13
Back