MO - Marc Cooper, 66, retired MSU Professor, fatally stabbed, Springfield, 17 Aug 2016 *Arrest* *insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Most students, if learning a professor had murdered someone, would describe that professor as "off."

Actually that's true only to an extent. Remember, his colleagues described a quiet loner. Someone who wasn't very expressive, probably isolated and didn't interact very much on a personal level with either colleagues or students. That pretty much fits someone with a condition that they're trying to hide to a tee. Most people on medications to battle their hypomanic highs (or anti-psychotic medications), are to a large extent tranquilized and tend to lay low. So being presumptuous is not actually a cover when there may be underlying reasons that describe the particular behavior.

Most students, if learning a professor had murdered someone, would describe that professor as "off."

I think of the response Chris Jefferies was subject to, and he was not even guilty.

As well, having taught for nearly twenty years, I do think that all but the most thoughtful students will almost automatically say they discerned, given a like, murderous circumstance, something amiss. It is human nature to feel as if we are knowledgeable, and thus in control, of, let's say, a semester's classes taught by someone later charged with a violent crime, particularly if that is the response they expect media to be looking for when media seeks them out for reply.

Look, most people have the very opposite reaction to what you are describing. After someone commits murder, many say they never suspected him. He was a "gentle giant." Could not have hurt a fly. This is "so out of character." "I never expected this." He was a gentle soul "who never bothered nobody." In fact, that's exactly what some of Gutting's colleagues and acquaintances have said.

Why do you think that's the case? That's because signs of violence or character defects that make one susceptible to mayhem usually are not detectable in normal courses of behavior. They're usually well hidden and tucked away. If they emerge, they tend to happen not in full view. It's already been established that he's introverted and was not particularly outgoing or gregarious. You're probably extrapolating from your particular experience of witnessing students being presumptuous. That's probably not the case if you examine the facts of the case.

I think of the response Chris Jefferies was subject to, and he was not even guilty.

Look, most people have the very opposite reaction to what you are describing. [....] In fact, that's exactly what some of Gutting's colleagues and acquaintances have said.
---
It's already been established that he's introverted and was not particularly outgoing or gregarious. You're probably extrapolating from your particular experience of witnessing students being presumptuous. That's probably not the case if you examine the facts of the case.

snip

"Look," a student is neither a colleague nor an acquaintance; nor are students "most people." Misstating the terms of my observation does little to support your bid to debunk same.

Also, to think matters of character have "already been established" at this early date, based on a few media reports, illustrates the danger of relying on received opinion to prop up one's argument.

It might be found that's possibly not the case.

http://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...-man-charged-stabbing-msu-professor/89739260/

Recent article from The Newsleader. Gutting had a few minor brushes with the law. Once for slapping a teenager, another for huffing nitrous oxide with his wife and a DWI. He and his wife were in serious financial straits. They claimed bankruptcy after moving to Springfield.

Marc Cooper had been a neighbor of my Dad's for 30some years. Dad was home the evening the murder took place. They weren't aware of anything going on until they heard all the sirens. Very sad. I had met Marc and Nancy many times over the years and was shocked when I heard Marc was murdered.

I'm thinking the motive here is jealousy. The neighborhood The Coopers lived in is affluent, they had a very nice house, Marc had had a very successful career at MSU, had tenure and was well liked and respected. Gutting obviously was having issues. He was hired at MSU only because his wife had accepted the job with the stipulation that Gutting be hired too as a 'tag along'. That term 'tag along' could have irked him, maybe the tenured staff treated him differently, perhaps he felt slighted and dis-respected. He was in debt, had filed bankruptcy whereas Marc was sitting pretty in his nice big house in a nice neighborhood, drove a nice car, etc.

There has not been much in the local news about this recently. I'm very curious to find out what the motive is, if we ever find out. I read in an earlier article that Gutting's wife was not cooperating with police, she'd restrained a lawyer and refused to be interviewed. I'm curious if she knew what her husband had been planning.

Interesting article. I went looking for new info on this case yesterday but found nothing so thanks gaia for bringing this recent article here.

With no other new info being made available and in light of the financial difficulties revealed in this article, I am thinking today that the case may involve an insurance scam on the part of Gutting and his wife but, maybe she was the only one aware of it. Is that possible?

Interesting article. I went looking for new info on this case yesterday but found nothing so thanks gaia for bringing this recent article here.

With no other new info being made available and in light of the financial difficulties revealed in this article, I am thinking today that the case may involve an insurance scam on the part of Gutting and his wife but, maybe she was the only one aware of it. Is that possible?

You're very welcome! I'll keep my eyes peeled for anything in the local news. I'm surprised at how little has been printed in the last couple weeks. I guess there just isn't much to report.

If it were something along the lines of a scam I'd think Gutting would have gone after both of them. His rage was definitely directed at Marc alone. He told Nancy he didn't want to kill her, 'this' was between he and Marc.
We probably won't know the motive until trial. He's hired Dee Wampler who is the most prominent defense attorney in this area. Dee is a master of stalling so this could be tied up in pre-trial for years. He requested a mental evaluation last month. I haven't heard anything about it since then.

Hm. I'm guessing conflict involving permanent hiring to tenured position. Anyone?

The man that was killed retired two years ago. Would he possibly still be involved with who may or may not get tenure? The killer told the deceased man's wife that this was between him and the victim. He did not just find their house at random. He went there to harm that man. Why not first degree murder? Any new information on this case?

A judge Thursday ordered an ex-Missouri State University professor as incompetent to stand trial in the murder of another professor.

A judge committed Edward Gutting Thursday to the custody of the Missouri Department of Mental Health.

A defense attorney filed a motion arguing Gutting was not competent to stand trial. The motion led to a state doctor diagnosing him as not being able to understand court proceedings or understand advice from counsel.

Judge rules ex-MSU professor incompetent to stand trial in death of another professor

The first-degree murder trial a former Missouri State University will move forward.

Edward Gutting is accused of stabbing, retired professor, Marc Cooper, to death nearly 6 years ago.

Gutting’s attorneys say he’s still being held at a state mental facility.

His case will go back in front of a judge at the end of June.

Murder trial against former Missouri State Professor to move forward

Defense Atty Dee Wampler
The first-degree murder trial a former Missouri State University will move forward....Gutting’s attorneys say he’s still being held at a state mental facility....
Murder trial against former Missouri State Professor to move forward
@JerseyGirl sbm Thx for update.
Quote from from Wampler in article: “The facts of the case seem to show that it was very unusual and very bizarre.”

If I'm estimating* correctly, Wampler is ~ 79 y/o. I hope this case will be tried or resolved before "something" unanticipated, like a medical issue, delays trial any further.
Appears Wampler's firm has only two other attys - one w 20+ yrs experience and other w only a couple yrs. my2ct.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GowBuj
Back