MO - Misty Horner & baby die in home birth, Lees Summit, 8 Dec 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm glad he is no longer a police officer as they sometimes are called upon to act in medical emergencies, and his judgement (dirty scissors) is suspect, no matter what his religious beliefs may be.

I hadn't heard that he's no longer with the PD. That's good. Any person that would allow their wife and baby to die like in this case, has no business being in a profession that might require him to make medical decisions.

I think dying during childbirth would be one of the worst, most painfull ways to die. I had proble,s with both my sons deliveries and if I had died during that time it would have been like being tortured to death.

And scissors? Why not burning the blade of a sharp Knife? Oh that's right, a religious zealot who is male thought of that. Who would cut into the birth canal with scissors? And not even pour boiling water over them or take a flame to them? And then let the wife sit dying after she already went a week with a dead baby in her? Are women cattle?
I think once this woman was sick and the baby was obviously dead since it wasn't birthed the husband had a responsibility to call for help.

There's no way I would ever repeat to my daughters or anyone the horror of what happened so many years ago to my Grandfather's first wife and baby who both died during childbirth. My grandfather made sure in later years to get my grandmother and future babies to a hospital and away from country doctors, and even then they still lost a premature baby. That's why I say that what happened to this woman is an insult to all those who lived before proper prenatal care. Did this poor woman even get any treatment after giving birth?

There's no way I would ever repeat to my daughters or anyone the horror of what happened so many years ago to my Grandfather's first wife and baby who both died during childbirth. My grandfather made sure in later years to get my grandmother and future babies to a hospital and away from country doctors, and even then they still lost a premature baby. That's why I say that what happened to this woman is an insult to all those who lived before proper prenatal care. Did this poor woman even get any treatment after giving birth?

No - she was offered it, but chose her own course of treatment over medical treatment. This link gives a few more details about the decision not to press charges: http://www.kmbc.com/news/14761266/detail.html

I agree with you about Nova's post----very informative. Thanks, Nova.

RE: The episiotomy :eek: :eek: I cannot even begin to IMAGINE getting an episiotomy in an unsterile environment, by the hands of a non-physician or midwife. I know it's possible she consented to that beforehand----we don't know. I'm just speaking from a personal stance----there is NO WAY I could do that under any cirumstances---call me :chicken: , and I cannot imagine any woman saying "OK, find something around here to cut my vagina open". Again, she very well could have.
I agree. We were called a while back to help an aquaintence pull a calf. The cow had started to deliver several days prior and had trouble. He wouldn't call a vet because he owed him money. We got the call a couple of days later. Four of us went with the equipment to pull calves. We suspected the calf was dead, but it needed to come out and she was in distress. We had to do an episiotomy on this poor suffering cow. No pocket knife job. We used a sterile scalpel, sterile suture kit and antiseptic to clean her and the instruments. Yep, ranchers keep these things handy as they learn from childhood a bunch of emergency procedures for livestock. If we took care of a cow with a stillborn calf in a humane and sterile way, I don't understand why these people couldn't at least do the same for her. Religion or not, it's only humane and sanitary.

What really gets me is the number of people willing to hang the two of them over this, yet if she had gone to a "legitimate" doctor and had an abortion everyone would be defending her rights to do so, not suggesting we execute her and her husband for murder. Not trying to be argumentative, but really, there seems to be quite the double standard.

I would not have made decisions, but I do think they were within their rights to make the choices they made. The result is devastating, but I believe she had plenty of time to consider the consequences and perhaps because of her belief in God, dying would not be a tragedy... If you truly believe that this earth is not the be all end all of life, then what's all the fuss about dying? If you operate wholly in this same type of faith-healing... perhaps the "healing" comes with the death of your body.

What really gets me is the number of people willing to hang the two of them over this, yet if she had gone to a "legitimate" doctor and had an abortion everyone would be defending her rights to do so, not suggesting we execute her and her husband for murder. Not trying to be argumentative, but really, there seems to be quite the double standard.

I would not have made decisions, but I do think they were within their rights to make the choices they made. The result is devastating, but I believe she had plenty of time to consider the consequences and perhaps because of her belief in God, dying would not be a tragedy... If you truly believe that this earth is not the be all end all of life, then what's all the fuss about dying? If you operate wholly in this same type of faith-healing... perhaps the "healing" comes with the death of your body.

I agree 100% with the second paragraph of your post.

However, I don't think the abortion analogy is apt. This woman was at or near term and she did not choose to end the pregnancy. The child she birthed died of natural causes.

Very very very few abortions occur at or near term and even the most pro-choice among us (self included) do not feel like that is an appropriate time to willfully end a pregnancy.

10 years after daughter died, family still struggling to forgive

It’s been 10 years since Misty Horner died after giving birth and her family is still struggling to forgive.

Misty Horner died of an infection a month after the home birth of her stillborn daughter, Sydney.

“It hurts as much today as it did 10 years ago,” said Darrell Mansfield, Misty’s dad.

Misty’s parents sued Misty’s husband, Caleb Horner, for her death in 2009 and won.

“I don’t want her life to be forgotten,” said Darrell Mansfield. "She was a good, strong girl. And we don’t want her death caused by a cult to go unnoticed. This group is very convincing. You can slip into it so easily.”

Jury Awards Over $100M to Parents of Misty Horner in Wrongful Death Suit - December 2012

Misty Horner wrongful death lawsuit: Horners want new trial after $108M ruling - February 2013

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CouchdetectiveC
Back