MO - Police chief accused of beating man who allegedly tried to drown infant girl resigns

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

blankenship

Reaction score
Missouri police chief resigns after he was accused of punching a man
who 'admitted to trying to drown his six-month-old daughter in a pond'

• Greg Hallgrimson resigned as Greenwood Chief of Police on May 29
  • He had been on administrative leave since December 26, following allegedly throwing down restrained Jonathon Stephen Zicarelli and punching him
  • Zicarelli came in to the station and admitted he tried to drown his six-month-old daughter on December 17, who police found unconscious floating in a pond
  • Hallgrimson rescued her, who was revived by CPR and treated for hypothermia
  • Zicarelli pleaded not guilty to charges of domestic assault and abuse or neglect of a child. He has a trial date set for December
  • DailyMail.com could not immediately reach Hallgrimson, who has not been charged with a crime

Yeah I think I'd like to know if there was more to the story... was the man bragging about it? I mean this guy had just done CPR on this man's baby... then the man admits he tried to kill her.

I think punching him was understandable given the situation. I think the handcuffed part is where the problem is.

However, I think therapy and a probation period may have been a better solution if he had an otherwise good record.

Though it's also possible that the Chief felt that this meant that he was no longer able to do his job effectively and safely. If that is the case, then good for him for recognizing that before someone died.

Hope the baby girl will be okay and I hope she has other family.

Oh man. It's one of those things where I don't condone it but do I ever understand. :( I did click on the article and thank God, the baby wasn't injured and is going to be OK, which is the most important part of all.

I’m so sorry he felt the need to resign. While allegedly punching a cuffed man isn’t really right It’s easy to see why a person would do it. I’m sure people would have lined up to punch this dude.
ITA

I could never be a member of LE. You have to see the worst side of people on the daily. I'd probably be punching people, too.

while Zicarelli's hands were cuffed behind his back
I understand but cannot for a second condone. The man needs to find another line of work. Part of being a cop is showing restraint, not beating a restrained suspect.

I never have any sympathy for police officers I see in the news who have totally overstepped and abused their positions. I feel nothing but sympathy for this guy though. Does he have a history of this? Beating cuffed prisoners? I'm guessing not. He just pulled that man's baby out of the water where he deliberately tried to kill her. I can not believe that guy's lawyer talking about the stress this guy was under. This loser was stressed about his baby's first Christmas and figured drowning her was the better option? Baloney. A baby is the easiest to buy for because they basically don't need anything. They're just all sweetness and joy over everything they see. I'm just glad someone did this to him. I have no sympathy for baby killers or attempted baby killers. The lawyer actually arguing that he didn't successfully kill her so it's really not that bad?... UGh.

I’m so sorry he felt the need to resign. While allegedly punching a cuffed man isn’t really right It’s easy to see why a person would do it. I’m sure people would have lined up to punch this dude.

And those people would make bad cops if they also lacked discipline.

while Zicarelli's hands were cuffed behind his back
I understand but cannot for a second condone. The man needs to find another line of work. Part of being a cop is showing restraint, not beating a restrained suspect.
I understand what you are saying however we LE are only human and walk a mile in our shoes and then repeat your words
I too don’t condone it but to say that he should find another line of work because part of being a Cop is showing restraint and respectfully I think you may revisit your choice of words if not your opinion as a whole
It’s easy to sit behind a keyboard and type such words without experiencing a week in the life of an inner city Cop
With all due respect

I don't condone his actions, but I certainly understand them.

As I said I'd like to know what immediately preceded this. Was an inflammatory comment made by the suspect?

We've all seen suspects make comments designed to egg on cops. Generally the cops are capable of letting them go and not reacting. But if this guy made some sort of comment about the baby that this officer just saved.... I could see him losing his cool.

I'd also like to know the officer's history. Was he otherwise an exemplary officer? Or did he have a history?

I would like to think being Chief that he didn't have a history. If that's the case, I feel like this should have been looked into a bit more and resources offered, maybe demotion before he had to resign.

Though, it may be that the Chief agrees with those who say this incident means he cannot be a good cop. So it may have been entirely his choice to resign. If that's the case I support him and respect his decision.

Many posts have been removed.

If members can't be respectful in their posts, then please don't post.

Not everyone is going to agree with everyone else and no amount of hammering is going to get it into the other guy's head. State your opinion and disagreement respectfully, without being antagonistic and inflammatory, and move on without bickering and personalizing (and all the other TOS stuff thrown in).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica1
Back