GUILTY MO - Rowan Ford, 9, raped & murdered, Stella, 3 Nov 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy for me to quarterback-but if Myrna Spears got a call from her son and he was drunk, wanting to use her car etc...she should have called Rowan's mom rather than covering tracks for her son...it seems clear to me she knew Rowan was not in the house, I think. I suspect she knew that the child had been taken and was expecting her son to bring her back when he requested her vehicle. :(

Easy for me to quarterback-but if Myrna Spears got a call from her son and he was drunk, wanting to use her car etc...she should have called Rowan's mom rather than covering tracks for her son...it seems clear to me she knew Rowan was not in the house, I think. I suspect she knew that the child had been taken and was expecting her son to bring her back when he requested her vehicle. :(

That got me to thinkin' ... If she went there to give him the car and not to babysit Rowan ... why didn't he drop her off at home after she gave him the car? Supposedly she lived close by.

Why did she sit there for hours watching TV?

http://www.joplinglobe.com/local/local_story_314221543.html

The village of Stella, with a population of fewer than 200 people, is in southern Newton County. David Spears’ mother, Myrna Spears, lives nearby, and said Saturday that she was unsure whether her son could have committed the crime.

“My heart says no, but my brain says anybody is capable of anything,” she said. “Get enough booze in them and there’s no telling what they’ll do, even if it’s totally against their nature.”

Myrna Spears stopped short of saying her son had a problem with alcohol, which authorities have said may have played a role in the murder.

“He’d been off booze for about a year,” she said, but said that her son had started drinking again recently.
I'm sorry, I think that he probably was hooked up with this mom LONG before the night Rowan died because he was abusing her... the drinking did not make him rape or murder her. :behindbar His nature did. I would bet you a hundred bucks that this was going on long before this night. OK, reading that article with the probable cause... did you get that Collins was abusing the girl, then the stepdad came upon it and then participated and then one of them (unclear) murdered her? Was this going on for a while (the abuse with the friend being involved?).
I think that grandma should be charged as an accessory. I think she is trying to cover up.

My personal opinion, I don't think she was afraid of him as much as she was afraid for him.

"He's my one and only," Myrna Spears said about her son, choking back tears.

Where exactly are the tears for ROWAN?

There are none.
If that grandma had just called the police because something bad was going on... maybe, just maybe Rowan would still be alive!!!!
Do we have the DP in Missouri? I hope to god we do!

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/NEWS01/711110398

Barry County Sheriff Mick Epperly said Collings confessed to authorities Friday. Based in part on Collings' statement, the affidavit Epperly sent to the prosecutor alleges that Collings and Spears took Rowan from her home to a camping trailer where Collings lived in Barry County, about 10 miles east of Stella.

Epperly said a kidnapping charge was expected to be filed in Newton County against Collings but likely not against Spears, because as the girl's stepfather he had legal guardianship.

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071111/NEWS01/711110398

Barry County Sheriff Mick Epperly said Collings confessed to authorities Friday. Based in part on Collings' statement, the affidavit Epperly sent to the prosecutor alleges that Collings and Spears took Rowan from her home to a camping trailer where Collings lived in Barry County, about 10 miles east of Stella.

Epperly said a kidnapping charge was expected to be filed in Newton County against Collings but likely not against Spears, because as the girl's stepfather he had legal guardianship.

See, I don't get THAT either. Can't the mom say that he had NO right to take her from the family home to do that to her? From the article I read that quoted the article, it seemed like maybe Collins took her first - but I couldn't tell... of course, they (LE) have a better grasp of what happened than we do from just the articles we have read.

One of the early statements Spears said he walked in on Collins abusing Rowan and joined in.

i think we need to have a death by public stoning or hanging in MO. i mean, this is ozark and hillbilly country anyway :)

we could AT LEAST change it for this case.

Interesting PC states that Collings entered home UNLAWFULLY and took Rowan, never mentioning Spears involvement. BOTH men confess to murdering her.

So did Spears have to call his mommy so he could go play with his friend Collings trailer? Otherwise he didn't have a ride to the party. :sick:

Interesting PC states that Collings entered home UNLAWFULLY and took Rowan, never mentioning Spears involvement. BOTH men confess to murdering her.

So did Spears have to call his mommy so he could go play with his friend Collings trailer? Otherwise he didn't have a ride to the party. :sick:

I think the PC reflects what the suspects said. Collings must have said he sneaked into Rowan's house, kidnapped her and raped and killed her and disposed of her body in his truck (Was he covering for Spears?). Spears must have said he went over to Collings' trailer where Collings had her somehow and was raping her, raped her, killed her, used his mom's car to hide the body.

It does sound to me like they're leaving out someone else whom they fear.

I think the PC reflects what the suspects said. Collings must have said he sneaked into Rowan's house, kidnapped her and raped and killed her and disposed of her body in his truck (Was he covering for Spears?). Spears must have said he went over to Collings' trailer where Collings had her somehow and was raping her, raped her, killed her, used his mom's car to hide the body.

It does sound to me like they're leaving out someone else whom they fear.

That's an interesting theory. And very plausible. I wonder if it would have taken more than the one or two of them to get her down into that sink hole (if they just threw her) or if they tried to lower her in there, hide her... and then crawled out... that would have taken more coordination in the middle of the night, especially if it was remote. That would have taken more people, lights, ect. I think I saw on the news that they actually had to lower people in there to recover the body. :-(
I wonder who this person was - a friend - that grandma was saying was that "she hopes wasn't who LE was talking about" or something like that (I quoted it earlier, an article from the Joplin globe) that was with her son that night. I wonder if it was Collins or someone else. If it was someone else, that lends something to this theory.

That's an interesting theory. And very plausible. I wonder if it would have taken more than the one or two of them to get her down into that sink hole (if they just threw her) or if they tried to lower her in there, hide her... and then crawled out... that would have taken more coordination in the middle of the night, especially if it was remote. That would have taken more people, lights, ect. I think I saw on the news that they actually had to lower people in there to recover the body. :-(
I wonder who this person was - a friend - that grandma was saying was that "she hopes wasn't who LE was talking about" or something like that (I quoted it earlier, an article from the Joplin globe) that was with her son that night. I wonder if it was Collins or someone else. If it was someone else, that lends something to this theory.

They said her body was "under a ledge" down there, so it seems like someone (or more) would have had to actually go down there to hide her.
I remember that quote you posted. Hope the mom keeps rambling and speculating so we can get an idea of the cast of characters that might be involved.

Just wanted to add about the "blackout" While I do not have a drinking problem I do have a problem controlling my intake levels. LOL Which is why I dont drink often. I almost always blackout and can tell you honestly you dont remember chit, Even when people tell me the stuff I do. I still dont remember. So I do not for one minute believe he blackedout then started remembering.

Just wanted to add about the "blackout" While I do not have a drinking problem I do have a problem controlling my intake levels. LOL Which is why I dont drink often. I almost always blackout and can tell you honestly you dont remember chit, Even when people tell me the stuff I do. I still dont remember. So I do not for one minute believe he blackedout then started remembering.

He's a total liar. And at like, 400 lbs, how much would you have to drink to black out? Like, a freakin brewery??!?!??!?!?! All the beer in Missouri? Come on!

They said her body was "under a ledge" down there, so it seems like someone (or more) would have had to actually go down there to hide her.
I remember that quote you posted. Hope the mom keeps rambling and speculating so we can get an idea of the cast of characters that might be involved.

I bet the step dad didn't do it alone. He couldn't have gotten back out of that sink hole alone. It might have eaten him up! I don't know how these sink holes are in MO, I haven't been here long enough I guess, but down in OK where I was from... if you got in them, they would sink in on you at times and get you! This one seemed more like a cave / sink hole though... but he was big and it seemed like it was DEEP. I don't think he could have gotten back out!!!

Let's just say he doesn't seem like he's the most physically fit. But I guess the other guy didn't seem like / look like he was either from that mug shot on that link someone posted earlier. EEEWWW.

But I mean if they were having to LOWER guys down in there to get to her little body. :( Poor little thing. What a horrible thing this little one had to go through.

Did anyone notice how it says "horny" as Chris' mood on his MySpace profile? I am just sickened beyond words.

Hello, everyone, I hope this post finds you in good spirits. While this is my first post, I am surely not new to this site. I've been reading for a very long time; however, I just couldn't help myself. I had to post regarding this case since it is so close to where I reside. (One of our beloved got me hooked on this site - Joyce Harrison.)

From the first moment I heard of Rowan's missing to when her so-called step-father was crying on the news, I knew he had played a part in her disappearance. He didn't even help look for her with the search party nor was he staying at the family home after she went missing. ODD!!

Many prayers to Rowan's family and may she find the peace she didn't have in the last moments of her short life.

And, thanks for having me...

Swannie
Glad to see you posting Swannie. Did you know Tybee when she lived in MO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech