MO MO - St Louis, BlkFem 8-11, 54UFMO, in abandoned bldg, Feb'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a Websleuths Moderator, but to answer your question, there is no reason why she should not be listed there as well as in the Cold Case section. I am not certain when the unidentified section was started - possibly after the Cold Case section had already been going for a while.

It simply comes down to someone taking an interest in the case and posting it there. Moderators sometimes start threads and post messages, but the bulk of postings are from persons like yourself - they take an interest, take the time, and type it up.

If you decide to start a thread about this little girl on another board, you should include a "Link" to this thread, so that visitors can go here to read other postings on the same case.

Way way late on replying. The Unidentified section was fairly new to WS when I asked. I'm working on a half broken down computer now and can not copy links... I'm still uncertain as to how many follow both the cold case forum and the unidentified forum. If someone would be so kind to start a thread with this gals info/data in the unidentified forum and link to the discussion here it would be appreciated. It might get more attention being in both forums and with as busy as WS is... there is no way we can expect the mods to bring over cases from both areas.

Thanks!

Cubby

I am not a Websleuths Moderator, but to answer your question, there is no reason why she should not be listed there as well as in the Cold Case section. I am not certain when the unidentified section was started - possibly after the Cold Case section had already been going for a while.

It simply comes down to someone taking an interest in the case and posting it there. Moderators sometimes start threads and post messages, but the bulk of postings are from persons like yourself - they take an interest, take the time, and type it up.

If you decide to start a thread about this little girl on another board, you should include a "Link" to this thread, so that visitors can go here to read other postings on the same case.

Way way late on replying. The Unidentified section was fairly new to WS when I asked. I'm working on a half broken down computer now and can not copy links... I'm still uncertain as to how many follow both the cold case forum and the unidentified forum. If someone would be so kind to start a thread with this gals info/data in the unidentified forum and link to the discussion here it would be appreciated. It might get more attention being in both forums and with as busy as WS is... there is no way we can expect the mods to bring over cases from both areas.

Thanks!

Cubby

Ottis Toole? That's if you believe he killed and beheaded Adam Walsh. Wonder if he was ever questioned or confessed to this girls murder?

I'm trying to pull up what I remember from talking to the Detective. That way I can say something besides bump.

I know they did check the school records as thoroughly as they could, looking for kids that left school and never requested their records. That was a dead end and due to shoddy record keeping, didn't help a lot. (Not to blame anyone, the public school system is overloaded as it is, let alone without keeping track of kids they don't have anymore.) Later on, after all other roads had been exhausted, they did resort to sending the shirt...one of the last pieces of physical evidence...to a group of TV psychics, and after a good deal of fingerpointing, it was determined that the show didn't mail it back in the manner they were supposed to and it was lost in transit.

Due to the fact that there are no reports to the best of their knowledge, they are betting that either her parents killed her and moved away or her parents are illegal and afraid to report her in the first place.
I was about to call and see if there was anything new, but I thought I'd check here and see if there was anything that I should add to my list of questions.

This is the first I have heard of this case :( Any additional information you can pass on from the detective should you choose to call would be awesome! Poor little girl :( it's so sad anytime it's a child, but to be unidentified for that long? it breaks my heart :(

I apologize if this has been discussed here OR elsewhere, but one of the articles from the Jane Doe site that was posted say's

"Another homicide sergeant thinks that a man on death row in Missouri may be the killer of the girl, and the detective plans to question the man soon."

Wonder what came of that and why he thought that?

was this the same person who had the skull bought from the 70's or someone different?

Okay, made a call back, first thing I asked is if she was killed by manual or ligature strangulation, no idea, since her head was removed right above the shoulders.

Also, the information that she had been there 5 days could be very incorrect, as she was completely frozen and could have been there for 2 months, just as easily as 5 days.

She is not
Sharuan Cole
Toya Hill
Shaunda Green
Shelia Hill
She is not an unidentified indian girl that someone insisted had to he her.

Nikole Betterson has not been ruled out and neither has Kelly Staples.
Kelly Staples mother has to be found for DNA, since her father is dead and as of now, they can't find mother either.

As far as locating a parent, the men that found her body are clear as far as being a familial relation, as is Curtis Thomas, who lived a few blocks from her and decapitated his wife.

Heads up (no pun intended) if you try looking for her head, there was one in SC that looked good until it was established that it was the whole body, not the head and something got lost in translation. That might not have been corrected yet, so don't let it trip you up.

She also is not
Tiahease Jackson
Yolanda Williams
Sheila Quinn

As far as the skull that they thought was hers so long ago, it was ID'ed and that girls parents are serving life.

The Doe Network:
Case File 834DFCA

Left & Center: Cossey, circa 1979; Right: Age-Progressed to 39 years

Tara Cossett Cossey
Missing since June 6, 1979 from San Pablo, Contra Costa County, California
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: August 24, 1966
Age at Time of Disappearance: 12 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'11; 65 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Native female. Black hair; brown eyes. Dark complexion.
Clothing: Cutoff Levi's jeans, a blue tank top and thong sandals.
Dentals: Not available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cossey was last seen in San Pablo, California on June 6, 1979. She was walking to Pirelli's Liquor Store to purchase a bag of sugar for her mother at the time of her disappearance.
Cossey never returned to her family's residence and has not been heard from again.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Contra Costa County Sheriff's Department
925-646-2441

Agency Case Number: S79-16822

NCMEC #: NCMC895143

NCIC Number: M-030912798
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Never mind just realized she was thought to have been dead only 5 days prior to her body being found

She could have been dead anywhere from 60 days to 5 days. But she is not Native, she is definitely African American, possibly biracial, but even that is doubtful.
And Tara would have been too old.

Okay here was my thing. It says she could have been 11. THis girl was 12. the height is 1 inch off. The weight is 5 pounds off. And it said medium to dark skin. So I thought native would be medium to dark. As I said I was off by the dates but this girl sounds CLOSE. That's all.

I lived in St. Louis for a while and rented apartments in the area she was found. She was found just a few blocks away from our apartments. When I was there (early 2000's), it was considered an area in "transition". I actually rented apartments like these that were revamped.

Whomever killed this child had to be at least a little familiar with the area. This isn't an area where you would wander around looking for a vacant building to dump a body- although until about 10 yrs ago- it was a very high crime area (was still heavy on burglaries and robbery while I was there) and I'm sure there were plenty of vacant buildings to do just that. The address where she was located is in the heart of the city and to find her, you had to really go inside the building. He had to be comfortable in that area. Outsiders would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

The rope used to tie her hands I believe was used primarily to facilitate the body dump. When they tied them around her wrists, they also went over her sweater, but there aren't any coresponding marks on the sweater. The drag marks on the front of her thighs say he just pulled her in and dumped her.

She may not be local, but no way her killer just stumbled into that building.

I hope wherever she is- she knows that she has not been forgotten.

Okay here was my thing. It says she could have been 11. THis girl was 12. the height is 1 inch off. The weight is 5 pounds off. And it said medium to dark skin. So I thought native would be medium to dark. As I said I was off by the dates but this girl sounds CLOSE. That's all.

But she wouldn't have been 12 when the Doe was 11, she would have been 16 ( I think) when the Doe was 11.
The determination of race was made on skeletal structure as well as skin tone. There is very little doubt on race.

I lived in St. Louis for a while and rented apartments in the area she was found. She was found just a few blocks away from our apartments. When I was there (early 2000's), it was considered an area in "transition". I actually rented apartments like these that were revamped.

Whomever killed this child had to be at least a little familiar with the area. This isn't an area where you would wander around looking for a vacant building to dump a body- although until about 10 yrs ago- it was a very high crime area (was still heavy on burglaries and robbery while I was there) and I'm sure there were plenty of vacant buildings to do just that. The address where she was located is in the heart of the city and to find her, you had to really go inside the building. He had to be comfortable in that area. Outsiders would have stuck out like a sore thumb.

The rope used to tie her hands I believe was used primarily to facilitate the body dump. When they tied them around her wrists, they also went over her sweater, but there aren't any coresponding marks on the sweater. The drag marks on the front of her thighs say he just pulled her in and dumped her.

She may not be local, but no way her killer just stumbled into that building.

I hope wherever she is- she knows that she has not been forgotten.

Curtis Thomas (who is now a lifer) lived only a couple of blocks from where she was found. He later killed and beheaded his wife. He also worked with kids prior to killing his wife, so he would have known how to approach her. By Google Maps, Thomas' apartment on Waterman was only a mile and a half from Clemens Ave, where her body was found.
I'll put it this way, Thomas has not been named as a suspect, but he has never been completely cleared either. he is not familial relation, that much has been determined.

Is it just me or does this little girl have her fingernails painted? Not that it would make a difference in the case but that just stuck out to me. I cannot believe this little angel has not been identified. Anyone know the brand of the sweater she was wearing?

Is it just me or does this little girl have her fingernails painted? Not that it would make a difference in the case but that just stuck out to me. I cannot believe this little angel has not been identified. Anyone know the brand of the sweater she was wearing?

The tag was cut off, so it is possible they never identified the maker of the sweater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member