MO MO - St Louis, BlkFem 8-11, 54UFMO, in abandoned bldg, Feb'83

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot all about that. Also when Devlin abducted Ben Ownby, I think Shawn realized Ben was his replacement and Shawn wouldn't be there much longer.

I watched it on Investigation Discovery, he was gonna kill him not long after he took Shawn, but again your right, he said once the other boy was taken he knew his time was close. The way he described it was what do you do with your old car once you get a new one. I cried through the whole documentary, truly heart wrenching.

Devlin was into pre-teen Caucasian males. To echo mtrooper's comments above - generally, predators have a "type" that they target, so in that respect, I can't see him targeting a pre-teen black female.

He wouldn't have made it through that neighborhood without being spotted. Truly no whites there at the time. I agree.

This case is truly heartbreaking. So sad. I just don't know how no one has solved her identity yet

I am going to call or go down to the Evening Whirl and see if they will run another story in the paper, maybe someone has died and there could be a person willing to speak up if they have a conscience (did I spell that right?).

I found an article written last year and I cannot figure out how to post it. The article indicates the sweater the girl had on still had fold marks like it was brand new and just taken out of the package and she probably was not wearing that when she went missing, according to the article. I never heard this before and found it very interesting.

I'm just joining this thread. Such a sad case.

Since there were signs of a sexual assault, I wonder whether a "rape kit" was collected. If so, has this been tested for a DNA match for a known sex offender?

If they did a rape kit, the results may have been destroyed or lost.

The tag had been removed from the sweater prior to finding her. The detectives who where called to the scene indicated they knew immediately she had been sexually assaulted but they thought she was an older person, maybe a prostitute, until ME said she was young around 7 to 9 years of age, just tall for her age.

I read that they were unable to salvage or save killer's DNA, then I read it was never there to retrieve. Not sure, what is the truth. There used to be a page by the detective who took over and it gave all kinds of info, I have given myself a headache trying to find it. And they say be careful what you put on line never goes away, I beg to differ. I will find this and have my kid help me post it.

Can I post pictures from the crime scene, just the ones of the neighborhood people standing around. It is amazing the amount of people living in area and they describe it differently. Most buildings at the time were all in use and now they are not many left, maybe one or two. Yet nobody heard or seen anything. I just help rehab a house on Cabanne and all Mansions that are being purchased now. Maybe rehabbing someone will find something, I think someone in the neighborhood probably family.

There was a suspect named Samuel Ivery, or Ivory, he was charged with beheading two women in E. Saint Louis, Illinois. I never knew his story. I just remember the beheadings and was floored. I don't even know if it was around the same time, guess I will have to look him up.

There are some more articles about the girl at this link
http://officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=4846
If I am reading them correctly, it looks like LE thought her living height was around 5'4" (maybe 4'10" was her height without her head then?). 5'4" is really tall for a ten year old girl, it seems like she would have been memorable by that alone, then when she wasn't around anymore people would take notice?

I think that must have been a typo or error on the part of that particular article, all the other articles I have found estimate her height as 4'10" or 4'11", a little over 4' without a head.

I found a very small article about Samuel Ivery, who would have been 26 when Jane Doe was found in 1983. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-10-26/news/9210260242_1_ivery-alabama-mobile-police

There are some more articles about the girl at this link
http://officialcoldcaseinvestigations.com/showthread.php?t=4846
If I am reading them correctly, it looks like LE thought her living height was around 5'4" (maybe 4'10" was her height without her head then?). 5'4" is really tall for a ten year old girl, it seems like she would have been memorable by that alone, then when she wasn't around anymore people would take notice?

I think that must have been a typo or error on the part of that particular article, all the other articles I have found estimate her height as 4'10" or 4'11", a little over 4' without a head.

I found a very small article about Samuel Ivery, who would have been 26 when Jane Doe was found in 1983. http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1992-10-26/news/9210260242_1_ivery-alabama-mobile-police

Yes, Yes, Yes, great information, this is what I was looking for yet different webpage, same info. This detective left no stone unturned. Wow, I would like to learn how you post these pages. Anyone just read through and will probably answer a lot of questions.

I remember the story of the young boy being decapitated and his uncle being arrested that was just over the top and thought for sure it would end in this girl being a part of it.

As with other posters, I to believe the victim was older than 8-11 years of age. The two coats of red nail polish has been a point of interest for me regarding her age. I site a combination of the time period in which this occurred, Mid Western values, along with certain cultural propensities as to why I do not believe an 8-11 year old African American girl would have been wearing red nail polish.

I think the victim could have been as old as 13-17 years of age for the aforementioned reason as well as the victim's above average height in regards to most 8-11 yr old girls.

I also do not belive the victim was from out of state given the locale where her body was dumped and my believing removing her head to be indicative of the killer having some sort of personal ties to both the area and the victim.This case seems a perfect canidate for a Familial DNA search. It's controversial and not allowed in most states but I believe this would potentially solve this case.

13-17 would have almost surely been post-pubescent. Were there indications of this?

Age estimation is normally pretty accurate for persons under 18. Bone development follows a very predictable course, and by noting the fusion of growth plates (or lack thereof) in various places on the body, a medical examiner should easily be able to accurately estimate age within about a 1-2 year (plus or minus) margin of accuracy.

If a ME mistook the age of an 8-11 year old child for 13-17, that would have been a pretty serious goof-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrissy321